Sioux Falls, SD

Augustana University

« See more reviews of Augustana University

Stop stressing yourself out! Take your time making this decision and make it only for yourself. There is no great proven method to making the college choice because there is no way of knowing what you truly want in a college before you have ever attended college. With that in mind, keep your options open! You should really try to visit the schools of interest during the academic year and see what campus is like with students there. Do not be afraid to ask questions, talk to admissions, talk to students, sit in on a class and really get a feel for what going to this school would be like. Most imporantly, make a decision that you feel both comfortable and confident in; as long as you do that there is no going wrong. Besides, you are allowed to change your mind! Like mom always told you, use your best judgement.

If I could go back to high school I would tell myself to be prepared. I didn't think college would be as difficult as it actually was. I would tell myself to get into a strict study habit in order to get used to the study requirements that come with a college education. I would also tell myself to try and find a good social and school work balance because college demand a lot of time with the homework and studying that needs to be done and figuring out a balance between your social life and your school life is important in order to "survive" college. I would tell myself to not be scared, yes college is a big step and a big change from high school but it is also the best change one can make. You become more open to the world and is truly the place where you find yourself and the person that you want to be.

The most important advice I would give myself is, to be prepared for change. I would tell myself to take things as they come and don't plan too far ahead. I would tell myself that freshman year was the worst year of my life, but completely worth it. I would tell myself that the first year wasn't about learning the material from class, but about learning how to get by in college and how to adapt to changes. College is a learning experience, but it is not the class material that is the most important thing to take away from it...it is the friends, the ability to succeed in anything the professors throw your way, the ability to prioritize, the abiliy to adapt, the ability to overcome obstacles, and the ability to grow as an individual (spiritually, mentally, physically, and emotionally).

If I were to go back to high school today there are a couple pieces of advice I would give myself. The first being the way I studied. Going through the transition of college is different for every person, but for most it is challenging. When it came to studying that was the biggest transition I had to go through. If I knew then what I know now, I would have taught myself better studying techniques to get me even better grades in high school and better habits in college. Another piece of advice I would give myself is enjoy life because the things you experience now you mostly likely will not get to experience again. I would tell my high school senior self that time goes by faster than I could imagine, and that I should make the best of it while making the best choices for myself.

Dear me, College is incredible, but it is also very difficult. High school prepares you for your classes and for living on your own, but it does not prepare you for the transition from high school to college. I need you to know that it is going to be so hard. Making friends is tough, having a stranger as a roommate is tough, and missing mom's home cooking is tough. You will feel alone at times and you will certainly be overwhelmed, but I need you to just keep stumbling forward. Fake a smile, be a little more outgoing than usual, and try something new. If you can struggle through the transition as if you know what you're doing, one day you will stop missing home and find yourself calling college home instead. It takes time, but I promise, it is worth the ride. Love and hugs, Me

Since this past September college has been an amazing experience for me. I attended Berkeley College in Manhattan, NY for my semester but could not continue at Berkeley due to the financial aspect of it. I am now attending a community college in upstate Orange County New York. I finished my first semester with a 3.8 G.P.A. I gave it the best I could and did whatever I had to do to prove to myself and no one else that I can achieve the ups and downs of college. I have to admit it was tough and I did struggle with many things but it is something that I would not trade for anything else. It has taught me to present myself as the person I always have been but never had the guts to be. I have proven to myself so many things and will continue to make myself and my family proud.

Dear Alicia, Please work really hard no matter what happens. Hard work is what will get you some where in the long road. Don't ever quit. Also don't wait to go to school. Taking so much time off before college, makes it really hard to get back into the groove of things. Although; It definetly makes you work so much harder. I care more now about my education now than I even have before. Make friends with good study partners because they really come in handy later, especially when you need someone to help motivate you to get it done. Not to mention having someone to share some of the stressful moments (the day before a test, the day you get your test back and all the in between) with definitly will make you feel better. More that anything else give it all you got!

Well if I had known then what I know now about college, I would have advised myself to study hard and make good use over time. Because campus life is to make the most of it is studied once in life and if you want to get ahead have to start from the beginning with enthusiasm and strength. In the past I would have liked me to have the ability I have now I would have avoided many problems but I was never a bad person could do better work than they've done so far. But we can not turn back time I have left now is to optimize, to one hundred percent what I have at the time and to achieve my goals and continue with the greatest enthusiasm. For so my family can get ahead and be able to promise a successful future. So with the help of God to follow my path and to prosper.

The most valued parts of my college experience was the education and the networking. The education and classes I had as an art major were very thorough and inforrmative. I already had the a good bit of experience with drawing and a little knowledge of art history, but the schools I attended (Savannah College of Art & Design & Trident Technical College) , I believe, propelled me further into my career goals. College networking is very beneficial in any career. The some of the people I've met have called me regarding job opportunities where they thought of me specifically, and it would help me build more much needed expericence for my resume. If I did not have any college experience, I wouldn't be where I am now nor on my current path to a higher education.

While it seems that when you are looking for a college, you have to find "the one" - the one college that will fit you perfectly, in actuality, you will probably have a great college experience at a variety of locations. Yes, you want to find the one that has a good program for your major, a nice campus, and good living situations, but most of the college experience is dependent upon the students. Are they opening themselves up to new people and situations, being responsible with their classes and social life, taking some initiative in their education instead of blindly believing everything their professors say, getting involved on campus so make a difference? Those are the types of things that make the most of a college experience wherever you are.