Augustana University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Augustana University

I do not regret my choice for Augustana University. The campus is welcoming and every professor is not only available, but helpful as well. In the education program, the professors are willing to help you with anything and everything in your life, especially if it relates to kids! There is a lot of culture mixing and the class sizes are small, so you get to know everyone. The school is a strong community that does everything in it's power to give you the leg up you will need when they send you out into the real world. They really prepare you for anything and everything, making sure that you are the best of the best.

Lindsey

The student body is small enough that you can know every body, at least by sight if you are so inclined. There are plenty of friendly people, though the overall campus atmosphere can be fairly cold compared to other colleges of this size. The professors are amazing, the food is good, and the dorms are decent. It does tend to be rather expensive, but they offer good scholarships. Definitely worth checking out.

Katie

Augustana College, now known as Augustana University, is wonderful. Augustana Unversity is best known for its art program, and as a major in the arts, this is extremely important to me. It's also important that the professors are always available. In fact, the professors are more like friends here. They will always be there for a student and will help them in any way they possibly can. Another important aspect of Augie is student life. There is always some sort of event going on, whether it be a movie or a concert, students are normally involved in the majority of events that happen around campus. However, there are some downfalls to the Augustana and the biggest one happens to be the food. It's definitely not the best and can sometimes be downright sketchy. It is, for the most part, edible and as a college student, that's all that really matters. To conclude, overall Augustana Unversity is a great university. It provides students with all their educational needs and keeps them entertained.

Erin

Overall, Augustana University is a pretty good school. Main majors at the school are Pre-Med, Nursing, and Education. Small enough campus where walking to classes takes less than 10 minutes, but large enough that you don't know everyone on campus. Clubs are a major part of the college experience

Augie is becoming a pretty big deal. New buildings are being constructed and sports teams are setting records left and right.

Abigail

Good. I have really enjoyed my first semester at Augie. There are plenty of ways to get involved and everyone is very friendly and encouraging. I think that they definitely put a big effort into the first year experience. Welcome Week was packed full of activities to prepare you for college.

Jared

Augustana is a great place to get an education. It's a smaller campus, so you get to know almost everyone around you, but the smaller campus doesn't mean there are less things to do. There is a club or group for everyone. Sports are big, and many people play, but the games are places for everyone to enjoy. Class sizes are small and challenge you to learn and be creative. I would definitely recommend this school.

Carly

Augustana University has been a special place for me to grow as a scholar, as well as a person. One of the common phrases used in regards to our University is that when you walk on campus, you will experience "Augustana nice." Everyone is friendly, says hello, and has a smile on their face. The campus size is small in comparison to most universities, but there is a special community connection that's extremely comforting and enjoyable to be apart of. Only attend this school if you genuinely care about academics and truly growing as an intellectual (not just getting a degree). This school will challenge you, but provide an equal amount of support that is hard to pass up compared to the anonmity of a large university. If you're on the fence, my advice is to give this school a chance, and experience the personal attention and guidance that is offered to help you become a successful and more charitable member of society.

RIley

It is a very welcoming school. Upperclassmen are kind and helpful to underclassmen. Professors are easy to talk, willing to help, and easy to get a hold of. Along with help from the professors, there are upperclassmen that hold tutoring sessions for whichever class you are in. Everyone at Augustana wants you to succeed​. I would recommend Augie to everyone.

Sydney

Augustana is a great fit for anyone looking to feel at home. Class sizes are small and professors are very accommodating. Campus is small and a sense of community is always present. I would highly recommend Augustana University for anyone who is looking to pursue a degree in the sciences because of the new facility just built. It is better than I could ever imagined and it is a functional space to learn and grow.

Augustana is a school that prepares you well to move onto graduate programs. The academics are extremely tough and professors are very accomplished. Class size was definitely a big draw for me. I appreciate the personal relationships I've been able to develop with my professors due to the small class sizes. Augie has a great library and brand new science center. The university prioritizes​ progress.

Beautiful campus, everyone is so friendly and there are many great opportunities to get involved with the campus and the community around it. Very pleased with the campus! One thing that I enjoy the most about the campus is that people actually communicate with each other and not just on their phones to be honest its very refreshing.

Bailey

The school is like a giant peppy family. People are very supportive and love to give support to as many groups and programs on campus as possible. The tight-knit campus provides an opportunity for all students to get involved and find their niche. Though the school is very science-based, it is truly for everyone. The academics are rigorous but the faculty and your peers are cheering for you constantly. I am proud to be an Augie Viking, and I think that anyone would be lucky to earn a degree from the prettiest and most heart-warming campus around!

Morgan

Augustana is very focused on education. They pride themselves on a large course load to ensure the students are learning as much as possible. Teachers have flexible office hours and are willing to accommodate to students' schedules. The freshman dorms are pretty decent.

Joseph

Augustana University (Note the University part) does a great job working with all students to help them become ultimately successful. Almost all of the professors are here to teach, not for research purposes, so their goal is our ultimate success. If you want a smaller, liberal arts institution, Augie is the way to go.

Grace

Augustana, or as everyone calls it, Augie, is an amazing college where class sizes are just right, the professors are always there to help, and you know almost everyone. Augie is a nice change from the big city and rural life. The campus is extremely safe and there's a nice downtown area within walking or biking distance. Everyone is extremely nice and goes out of their way to welcome others into the Augie family.

Merryn

I love Augustana University. The students are pleasant and welcoming, the professors are available and knowledgeable, the facilities are adequate, and the food isn't bad. My program is so wonderful and I have had so many opportunities to grow within my field. Augustana offers everything I need and so much more.

Mariah

This school is academically rigorous to a point where the student-body is so stressed out, that they are cracking under the pressure with finals, yet it is a welcoming and wonderful environment. I feel extremely safe and I find that my classes are intellectually stimulating. Overall, a great school and I am happy I go here to earn my degree.

Brianna

Augustana University is a great place to learn! I'm actually learning my trade here and everyone wants to see you succeed! The staff and professors are wonderful but the student body already has a lot of cliques. It's hard to make any friends or connections if you move from far away. It's best to decide to join a sport or a group, but academically I feel that I'm learning so much more than my last college!

Hunter

Augustana University is one of the best places in the region to get an undergraduate degree and by far the best place in South Dakota. The professors are extremely intelligent in all they do and take students abroad on trips every January. I would recommend Augustana to anyone!

Avram

Augustana is a unique school. It’s a small liberal arts school that is extremely diverse. There are small town country people, big city slickers, and even kids from different parts of the world. Augustana embraces the differences amongst its students to create a great community. As a student athlete that attends the school, I see only a small amount that my university truly has to offer. The reason I saw that is because between school, football, and work it is hard to get involved in much more around the university, but I do know the options are there and I could easily get involved if I felt the need to. Based on what I do know and what I experience, Augustana pushes its students to be the best they can be and provides the services to aide any student in need. There are advisors that help you stay on track to graduate along with making sure you’re taking the courses needed. They find tutors for you if you need it and I have a personal story that relates to that. I excelled in a class called theories and techniques of strength and conditioning and was asked to tutor a student in it. She was the only one who appeared to need or want a tutor for the class so I worked with her one on one throughout the semester to help her get through the class. It also has great alumni connections and because of those alumni, businesses in the Midwest don’t hesitate to hire students soon after graduation. Augustana may be a small university, but it provides big things to make its students successful

Halley

Augustana University, a place where opportunity knocks and invigorating careers tend to follow. Like any transition, leaving home can be difficult for first year or transfer students. One thing Augustana offers is a First-year Seminar class. Although the First-year Seminar classes can feel redundant and very literary focused, they enable students to learn good study habits, learn what it is like to have a lot of homework, meet individuals from across the country (and world), and most importantly learn what resources are available on campus. Even as a sophomore here at Augustana University I am amazed by the time that my professors put in to make my education worthwhile. One of my favorite memories from my freshman year at Augustana was always going to the Morrison Commons and having a cookie after both lunch and dinner. I cannot tell you how many cookies I have eaten at my time here! The commons was and always will be a place where one can catch up with their friends, and enjoy good food (most of the time, everyone has a bad day here and there). If you are looking for a safe activity on the weekend (both Friday and Saturday nights) then you won't have to look any farther. With activities most Friday and Saturday nights students can enjoy singers, comedians, speed painters, henna tattoos, carnivals, mini golf, laser tag, ice skating, and so much more! Overall, I could not be more satisfied with my choice to pick Augustana University as the place where I would call home for four years of my life. The opportunities are endless, and the relationships made between peers, faculty, and others are truly magnificent.

Maryam

I love the cozy size of Augustana University. The class sizes are small and the relationship between the students and professors is helpful because the professors memorize who you are and it makes it easier to ask for help. I also love the many opportunities there are to get involved in the community that is offered and encouraged. The academics are also very impressive, I feel challenged.

emerson

My overall opinion of Augustana University is that I love everyone I have met there in the past year and I think I will continue to be great friends with them for the rest of my life and if it weren't for going here I would never have met these great people. The classes are hard but very interesting and I like the challenges. The elmen center is my favorite place to be because of the people and the activities they offer.

amber

Overrall, Augusta University is a very calm atmosphere. There is a little of everything. Politics, art, sports, Greek life, and intellectual conversations about current events. I think there is a group for everyone, if someone wants to be involved they will find clubs and events, if someone wants to go to class and leave they won’t feel out of place.

Augustana University may not be a beautiful castle on the hill, but the academic environment is worth enduring the outdated buildings and cold winter. The culture encourages learning and achievement as everyone seems excited to be there. Professors take the time to get to know their students and are willing to help with academic, professional, and personal struggles. The campus always hosts fun activities and interesting speakers, which decreases the need for partying as entertainment. Overall, Augustana is truly a place for possibilities, even if some of the school's infrastructure is lacking.

Jenifer

I am sitting in the Huddle, our campus hub for coffee, food, and friendship. In one corner, a group of students with computers open laugh and discuss future plans and educational opportunities with a professor. Off to the side, one English professor is holding a one-on-one writing conference with a First Year Seminar student and explaining the finer points of writing an effective argumentative essay. To my right, friends chat over plates of delicious food from the commons upstairs. The culture of close relationships with professors and deep friendships is clearer than glass. Augustana is a school designed for student success through professors, online resources, and the Success Center.

Holly

I think it's a great school and offers great opportunities. There are many different groups and activities going on throughout campus. This allows everyone to get involved and do what they love to do. The professors are very nice and helpful and are always at the ready to help anyone at any time.

Sheldon

Augustana is a place that epitomizes a campus community. Plenty of different student groups hold events for the entire campus. The professors truly care about you and your well-being. The administration takes student input to heart. I am so glad to call myself an Augustana Viking!

Madison

Augie is all about what you make of it! Students get resources to plan their own vocational path. I love Augie because I can be involved in clubs, support Viking athletics and visual arts, study abroad, graduate early, double major, do research with professors, travel to academic conventions, and most importantly, engage in communal relationships with faculty, staff, and students. Augie truly is the "place for possibilities," and the community wants YOU to leave as the best version of yourself.

Ellie

Augustana certainly lives up to its reputation for high-quality academics, activities, and community. I especially love that I am able to continue my interest in music while also completing a Biology major and Spanish minor. By far the best part of Augustana is the community. The students, faculty, and administration make me feel like a valued voice in the community and encourage me to achieve my goals.

Hailey

If I had to name one thing I love most about Augustana, it would be the 2,000 member family that I gained as soon as I accepted my admission to university. At Augustana, not only are you a student, athlete, or activity leader, but you are someone who is cared about by their peers and professors. Everyone on campus is outstandingly relational and wants what is best for you in life. In my time on campus, not only have I made lifelong friends within my own class, but I have also gotten to know a majority of the upperclassman and faculty. While education may be the reason you come to Augustana, being a part of the campus family is what makes you stay.

Augustana University is the place where you will make connections that will last a lifetime. The community of Augustana allows students to not establish close relationships with fellow peers, but you will have strong connections with the professors also. You will never be just a number at this school. Augustana is invested in every student, and will help students achieve their hopes and goals. Augustana has excellent connections where the school will help students attain internships, relationships, and future jobs with employers of a student's choice. The possibilities are endless of what this school can help you achieve.

Carly

Augustana University is an excellent place to receive a quality education. The best part about Augie is that the campus truly feels like a community. The professors are friendly, approachable, and intelligent. They look out for you and will engage you in your learning. I would highly recommend this University to any student who wishes to be challenged academically, live in a welcoming and friendly community, and wishes to become involved on campus.

Attending Augustana University has been fundamental in my career development. The classes that I’ve taken continually challenge my perspective and are paired with meaningful hands-on learning experiences. More than anything, it’s the relationships within the campus community that stand out to me. The faculty and staff take the time to develop meaningful relationships with students. They remember the small details, making you feel like a person rather than just a number on campus. Ultimately, these relationships have helped propel me into my career and to discover where my passions meet the needs of this world. For that, I am deeply grateful.

Ellie

I am grateful every day to have chosen such an amazing school. Augustana is not only a place where I am challenged academically and provided with countless opportunities to gain experience/prepare for my professional career, but it has also become home. I have made life-long friendships, learned how to think critically, and been exposed to different cultures and perspectives through travel and study abroad programs. Overall, Augustana has given me a place to learn valuable and necessary lessons before I leave to serve others in my professional career! Skol Vikes!

Anna

My experience at Augustana has been excellent! Many aspects of my college career have created my positive experience at Augustana including real-world experience through clubs and the classroom, J-term options, weekend life, and the community aspect. I am studying business communications and marketing at Augie. Many of the business classes are focused on providing real world experience through creating marketing and public relations plans for local clients or hearing about a business professional’s experience in their position. Augustana’s plethora of student organizations also allow students to get involved and gain real-world experience outside the classroom. Another aspect that is unique about Augustana is the offering of J-Term—a time when students can either take one class or study abroad with Augie professors. During my time at Augustana, I have utilized both opportunities and LOVED both! If you are on campus, you can either take a fun elective class or a class towards your major that might be more difficult—only taking one class allows a student to give their full attention to that class. Augustana’s weekend life options have also led to my positive college experience. There is one club on campus that is dedicated to planning entertainment options every Friday night—musical acts to comedians to movie nights and everything in between are offered on Friday nights during the school year. With the weekend offering of other clubs on campus and new-found college friends, many students—including myself—find themselves WANTING to say at Augustana on the weekends. Augustana truly is a community. With the small campus size, there is always someone you know and always someone new to meet. The professors care not only about your class performance, but also about your well-being—they become friends outside the classroom!

Grace

Augustana is a place where students are supported in the classroom and in professional achievement. Coming to Augustana is signing up for life long career support and unlimited resources. Professors want to get to know their students as more than just a number or letter grade. I am so thankful for this community supporting me for success in any field.

Audreyanna

I think Augie is a great school and campus. The class sizes are pretty small which I enjoy because you are able to get to know your classmates and professors individually. The staff at Augustana is pretty helpful and cheerful and very welcoming, which is something that drew me to Augustana. I think Augustana needs to work on their on campus housing, as well as parking and also need to improve diversity on campus. Augustana has pushed me academically and I really appreciate that because it has caused me to have a deeper appreciation for education and forced me to focus on my studies. I am glad I chose Augustana and am excited to be an alumni of such a great community.