Austin, TX
Austin Community College District

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Austin Community College District

Chelsea

There is so much advice I would give myself as a high school senior. Mainly, I would tell myself not to worry as much, because in life it's inevitable that a person makes a mistake. As a college student, it's easy to stress over a paper or a test to the point it becomes overwhelming. However, all that stress is unnecessary and all the big assignments insignificant. As long as you work hard, there is no need to worry. If you make a bad grade on a test, don't dwell on it. Just try harder and learn from your mistakes. I would also tell myself as a high school senior is to ask for help. No one is born knowing everything about college, and at times it is confusing. Utilize the resources at your school, such as financial aid, advisors, and tutors, because college is always easier with some help.

The best thing about Austin Community College is the small classes. With a small student-teacher ratio, I am able to receive more individual attention from my professors. My largest class last semester was only thirty-six students, which allowed the professor to speak individually with students if needed. It?s also an advantage because we are able to have open class discussions, where students may learn from other students? ideas.

The worst thing about my school is, unlike a centralized university, its resources and students are spread out. My college has eight campuses, and not all of them offer the same courses. This inconveniences students by forcing them to attend two different campuses rather than one. It is especially difficult for students who depend on public transportation as there are more factors, such as scheduling and routes, to consider when choosing classes.

Gabriel

I would have just 4 words to say to myself. "Get a bus pass." I spent over one dollar each day for 2 months getting to and from the ACC campus. If i would have known that bus passes were selling for ten dollars a month i would have saved around 40 dollars. Those 40 dollars would have given me more food per week whether it be a gallon of milk or some cereal. Getting that little bit of extra food each week would have saved me from having to starve myself once a week in order to be able to ration my food for the rest of the month. If i wouldn't have starved myself i would have been at a stable weight and would not have fainted in my apartment. If i would not have fainted in my apartment i would not have hit my head on the table thus causing me to get a scar on my face. If i would not have had a scar on my face I could have been a model. So asssuming I could go back and tell myself something. I would say "get a bus pass."

ollyanne

If I could go back and talk to myself as a highschool senior I woould tell my self to go to a community college while I was still in highschool. That it would have saved myself time and money. I would have also told myself to start looking for scholarships, and finical aids. I would tell myself that I needed to study more and take harder class, and go out more. I should go out have fun with my friends or just by myself, instead of staying home and wating t.v, every night. I would tell myself that being a senior is fun and hard work that college is hard and that once I walk on that stange that life will be different. I can choose the classes I want for my degree plain, but I sould also take class that are fun and can simulate my mind too. I will tell myself that having a part time job is good , but that studying and passing my test are more important that getting paid 6:25 an hour. That I sould take my harder classes in the spring and make sure that my teacher is fair. Also to play.

Anyone who wants to learn. ACC is the perfect stepping stone to a 4-year degree. They have learning labs and great teachers to help you reach your goals. A person who wants to go farhter asn a AA degree. A person who wants to do or be anything they set their mondsd too. ACC has different degree programs from teaching to being a medical assataice. People who want to save money and start out with sm all callrooms and great teachers and have lots of degree programs to choce from the ACC will be the pefect match. Anyone can

Someone who doesn't want to do anything with their lives, someone who isn't ready to take the next step to adulthood. Someone who can't afford college. Someone who thinks that college isn't for them and that working odd jobs is the way to go. Some people just can't learn by sitting in a classroom, they have to be outside or have an one -on -one to get things done. Sometimes college can only be done on the weekend an dACC campuse don't have weekend classes, people who wan to make something of themselves. Alwasys

Suzanne

I believe it has one of the best Nursing Associates program in the state for a 2 year community college

I am not your typical student. I am quite a bit older and wiser than most of my peers. Mostly, I would not have dropped out of high school as a junior, started college at a younger age, and was still living with my parents! But alot of that had to do with poor choices, low self-esteem and really not knowing what I wanted a career in. It is a bit difficult to find the time, money, and stamina to stay in school at age 45. Knowing what I know now, I really would not change anything. I went to the school of "Hard Knocks" and pursued many interests before settling on Nursing. As a result I am a well-rounded,dedicated student who knows what she wants to do with the rest of her life. I am extremely proud of my academic accomplishments thus far.

It seems that alot of classes are "dumbed down", which doesn't say much for our high schools. The cafeteria food is overpriced.

Rene

It is center with educated leaders who give of themselves whole heartedly without exception, so I am able to learn the necessary skills to change my qualifications, which in turn will mandate my abilities to take myself to the next level spiritually, mentally, socially, physically, monetarily, academically, and help me carry these sophisticated traits developed within me, to be a leader in my future places of employment, my community, as an American, a friend and citizen to our great nation.

The advice I would give to myself is to slow down and smell the roses. Take your time in deciding what your major is. It is important to continue on right out of highschool. It is ok to start with the core subjects. Do not put so much pressure on your self and study hard. The outside world will always be there. Once you leave the nest you cannot go back. Everything changes and so will you. Stay at home as long as you can. Use your senior summer to go to Europe. Take a part time job but participate in all school functions. Go to the prom, homecoming games and dances. Try to live in the present tense and be happy. If you feel out of place tell someone. Enjoy your youth and do not try to be an adult before your time. Take care of your health and stay away from smoking and drugs. Also remember we are the company we keep. It is ok to not be popular. Be true to yourself and grow spiritually by having some sort of religion in your life. Honor your father and mother, count your blessings, be respectful and say thanks!

There are not enough computer classes. So it is hard to get the classes that you need. The ones available have prerequisites, so it forces the student to only be able to take six credits instead of twelve. The early registration is based upon credit hours. This causes the student to have to stay in school longer and delay their career objectives. There are not enough parking spaces either. So I must get to school three hours ahead of time to park. The buses do not run near my home.

A mix of ages, ethnicity, and ideas; it's a mesh of many different people with different backgrounds in one room.

Study hard, college is very different from high school teachers will not provide many oppurtunities to make the grade you want as they do in high school. Take every chance and opputunity they give you and give 110% and if you have a day where class is optional, show. Prove to teachers your not waisting there time because your parents are making you attend school or because you have nothing else to do. Show your heart and dedication because then there more likely to invest time in you and give as much help as they possibly can. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions more than likely someone else is thinking the question too but they're to scared to ask. Be proud of who you are and what you accomplish and you CAN make it with determination and drive; even if your not top in your class you can get through.

The campus locations are spread out so you can find a campus near you no matter where you live. They also provide so many resources, testing facilities, advisors, financial aide, etc. You really feel like they're all there to work for you and provide the best college experience whether your transferring or just getting your associates.

Briana

I think the most unique thing would be that there are several campuses around town that offer night classes that makes my school schedual flexabile.

The best advice I would give my self is to put school as number one priority, friends and activitys second. I would tell my self to take more honnors classes to better prepare my self. I would say to take class more seriously, do all my assingments with learing in mind not just "winging it" . I would have tooken my SATs more seriously and studied before I took the test. Most importantly I would keep my parents involved and not try to "keep them in the dark" when it came to school work, and I would take every piece of advice they ever tried to give me. Because now I know they have already been there done that.

The most frustrating thing would be that I cannnot get a four year degree for nursing there, I have to transfer

Cintya

My school is comprehensive, teachers helping students like myself study for exams and being well organized.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the advice i would give myself was to prepare more for college, because when i was a senior i was undecided to my career goals. Now that i know how college is I think what i could have done better and that is gone directly to a university instead of community college, but what stop me was not knowing my major. When i first went to the community college i was still undecided but i was only taking basic classes and was thinking of one major to another, wasting my time and money. My advice would be first, prepare for what major i want and that i would like and prepare myself to get the best job , second, decide what university or college i want to go and third getting help with financial aid.Today im preparing to get my associate degree and know my major, by now i know that i could have finished my degree by now and have started a job, but that hasn't stop me from getting what i want and that is a better education for my future.

The worst thing i could consider about my school is there are few parking spaces, in my school we have parking garage and even if there is a parking space i have to park at the last parking spot there is, and the reason is the worst is we have to walk a lot to your classroom and back to your car. Another thing I thought could be the worst thing is the date the teachers put the exams the exact same date and we have to study alot.

Alesandra

be responsible, focus on schoolwork, and there is always time to have fun when you have your life on track.

The best part about a college is the enthusiasm and helpfulness of the professors to be involved with me and my academic work. also, a campus with places to do extracurricular activities like swimming or jogging. (College of Charleston)

Someone interested and rich in the arts and movement of the arts. Someone who wants to be in the center of the city and have fun every day! (College of Charleston)

Do not be afraid to make a difference for yourself. It is only you who will change your life.

It is difficult to look back now, but I do wish that there was more support in the public schools to encourage children to persue a college education. I am the only one out of four siblings that is atending college at the moment and it is because of self-motivation. I wish I knew that there are more options as far as scholarships are concerned.

The worst thing about my school is that I can not attend as much as I wish. Having a full time job and going to school is something that is not uncommon, but only those who are disciplined enough are able to succeed.

Austin Community College District administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.