Austin Community College District

« See more reviews of Austin Community College District

THE ADVICE I WOULD GIVE IS THIS. I KNOW THAT YOU WANT TO FEEL LOVED. I KNOW THAT YOU WANT TO FEEL APPRECIATED. I KNOW THAT YOU WANT TO FEEL THAT WARMTH WHEN SOMEONE THAT LOVES YOU HOLDS YOU TIGHT. BUT DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE PROJECTION OF THE MIRRORS. DON'T LET THE THE FOG CLOUD YOUR JUDGEMENT AND CAUSE YOU TO STUMBLE SO THAT YOU CAN'T MOVE ON TO THAT NEXT LEVEL. DON'T TAKE THE THREE WORD PHARSE, I LOVE YOU, LIGHTLY. IF A MAN TELLS YOU THAT HE LOVES YOU AND BEATS YOU UP. HE DOESN'T LOVE YOU. IF YOU WANT CHILDREN TO HAVE A BETTER LIFE YOU HAVE TO START NOW. DO NOT PLAY AROUND. GO TO SCHOOL. DO NOT STOP. STUDY HARD AND GET YOUR DEGREE SO YOU AND YOUR KIDS DON'T HAVE TO STRUGGLE. YOU WILL FEEL SO MUCH BETTER KNOWING THAT YOU WERE ABLE TO PROVIDE FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. BUT DO ME ONE THING IF YOU DON'T REMEMBER NOTHING ELSE I'VE SAID. ALWAYS REMEMBER NO MATTER WHAT, JESUS IS THE WAY. RUN TO HIM. ASK, SEEK, KNOCK, I LOVE YOU.

I would have just 4 words to say to myself. "Get a bus pass." I spent over one dollar each day for 2 months getting to and from the ACC campus. If i would have known that bus passes were selling for ten dollars a month i would have saved around 40 dollars. Those 40 dollars would have given me more food per week whether it be a gallon of milk or some cereal. Getting that little bit of extra food each week would have saved me from having to starve myself once a week in order to be able to ration my food for the rest of the month. If i wouldn't have starved myself i would have been at a stable weight and would not have fainted in my apartment. If i would not have fainted in my apartment i would not have hit my head on the table thus causing me to get a scar on my face. If i would not have had a scar on my face I could have been a model. So asssuming I could go back and tell myself something. I would say "get a bus pass."

Enroll in college as soon as possible after graduation from high school, and if enrolling in a community college, make sure the classes that you take are transferable credits. College is as you make it. Go to class, do what you are instructed to do, study, and you'll do just fine. College is mostly about dedication, so dedicate yourself as much as possible. Higher education is the means to having a career that is a love of life; whatever you love to do, try and relate that love to a degree, and you'll be a lot happier in the end. These are all things that I've learned over the years that I know now at the age of 33, with age comes wisdom, but I am satisfied that I'm doing what I'm doing now, because I know that I will be happy with my degree and career choice. This is a statement that I did not make when I obtained my high school diploma and associates degree from Austin Community College.

College isn't as scary as people make it out to be. Yes some people may not be as friendly as others, but it doesn't mean they're "out to get you." Tests do require a little more studying than in high school, and papers are a little tough. Studying for the SAT and doing well on it, will help you when registering for certain classes in college. Keep your math and science notebooks, it definitely helps a lot. Make sure not to fall asleep in Anatomy class after practice, even though the lectures may be "boring", the papers and notes will help you in Anatomy in college. Last but not least, don't let your "high school sweet heart" stop you from going to college. If anyone tries holding you back from being what you dream to be, they're not meant to be in your life. You'll be a great paramedic. Believe in yourself and never stop trying, because that's all that matters.

Run! Go as fast as you can and enroll. Who am I to tell you this? I am you at thirty. I remember being eighteen and thinking I knew everything. What could college teach me? Life taught me there was more to college than just a piece of paper. College has given me tools that I will take with me beyond graduation. Knowledge is something that can never be taken from you. Allowing your mind to be acquainted to ideas other than your own, opens experiences in life others may never know. Do not be afraid. Life comes at you fast, and sometimes unexpected opportunities arise. One moment, the loss of a job may seem devastating. The next, you realize it is an opportunity to change your destiny. Live your life by the words from Winston Churchill, ?"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved

Making the transition to college life should be exciting: do not stress out. Attending school not too far from home can be very helpful. Choose a school that is in a useful environment for when you do obtain free time, or incase you need a job. Make sure the school you choose offers majors you are intrested in and go for it. Do not slack off: your classes are a lot of your own money. You will need help. Therefore, apply for as many scholarships as you can. Be friendly and ask for help if you need it. Join an organization at your school. Organizations will help you meet people and get involved. Your parents will not be there to guide you. Learn when to stay in and study and when not go out with friends. Last but not least, stay healthy. Do not fall for the freshmen fifteen: continue eat healthy, exercise, and get plenty of sleep. Good Luck!

I wish I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior. While I was in high school, I had no intention to college. During my junior and senior year I skipped and left school a lot. At the end of my senior year I thought about going to college, but I feel that choosing a college and deciding what you want to go to school for is a pretty major decision, so I decided to take a year off to decide what type of school would be best for me and what kind of career I?d like to have. I've learned from other people's experiences that college is mandatory if you want to have a good life for you and your family. If I could go back in time and talk to myself in high school I?d tell myself to make to make good decisions, not to skip school, go to college, and to do the best I possibly can to increase my chances for academic scholarships.

Gosh, it would be very informative and useful if I could go back and give myself advice about college. First, I would tell myself that its not a good idea to take morning classes. Just because high school was structured that way doesnt mean my life has to be. Give yourself time to think in the morning before throwing yourself straight into class. Second, I would tell myself that school should always come before friends, and dont take classes with friends who need to be babysat. Its fun to hang out, but its also fun to finish school so you can get on with your life. Lastly, I would tell myself that its important to continue school. No matter how hard you think life has become, or how hard your classes are, life will always throw you curve balls, you just have to get up and dust yourself off and try again.

Study hard, college is very different from high school teachers will not provide many oppurtunities to make the grade you want as they do in high school. Take every chance and opputunity they give you and give 110% and if you have a day where class is optional, show. Prove to teachers your not waisting there time because your parents are making you attend school or because you have nothing else to do. Show your heart and dedication because then there more likely to invest time in you and give as much help as they possibly can. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions more than likely someone else is thinking the question too but they're to scared to ask. Be proud of who you are and what you accomplish and you CAN make it with determination and drive; even if your not top in your class you can get through.

There is so much advice I would give myself as a high school senior. Mainly, I would tell myself not to worry as much, because in life it's inevitable that a person makes a mistake. As a college student, it's easy to stress over a paper or a test to the point it becomes overwhelming. However, all that stress is unnecessary and all the big assignments insignificant. As long as you work hard, there is no need to worry. If you make a bad grade on a test, don't dwell on it. Just try harder and learn from your mistakes. I would also tell myself as a high school senior is to ask for help. No one is born knowing everything about college, and at times it is confusing. Utilize the resources at your school, such as financial aid, advisors, and tutors, because college is always easier with some help.