Austin Community College District

« See more reviews of Austin Community College District

I would tell my younger self not to be afraid because even though I have a lot to learn about life, I will only learn it in time, and I shouldn't be afraid of college. I would stress the importance of me taking advantage of the college couselor, taking the SATs, and even taking out student loans if necessary to pay for school. Over the years, I've learned that loans get paid off eventually, tuition rates rise, and taking classes part-time while working full-time takes a long time. I would try to impress upon my younger self that time is going to feel like it's flying, so I should go to school while I'm young because, later on in my thirties, I'm going to want my free time after working a long day, or I might want to go to graduate school like a lot of my friends at that time in my life.

Change and transitions have never come easily to me. In fact when any semblance of change would arise I would fight it tooth and nail trying to keep my life exactly the same. Change has always left a foul taste in my mouth, mostly due to the fact that most often times change did not bring about better circumestances. If I could go back to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that although transitions can be frightening sometimes one just has to take a leap of faith and hope for the best. My first year of college had no shortage of bad experiences but it also had a multitude of good ones. It is the good memories that one needs to focus on. College is definitely different than high school but that does not mean that it won't be amazing. Just have faith.

I am not your typical student. I am quite a bit older and wiser than most of my peers. Mostly, I would not have dropped out of high school as a junior, started college at a younger age, and was still living with my parents! But alot of that had to do with poor choices, low self-esteem and really not knowing what I wanted a career in. It is a bit difficult to find the time, money, and stamina to stay in school at age 45. Knowing what I know now, I really would not change anything. I went to the school of "Hard Knocks" and pursued many interests before settling on Nursing. As a result I am a well-rounded,dedicated student who knows what she wants to do with the rest of her life. I am extremely proud of my academic accomplishments thus far.

As a senior, even though everybody around me was freaking out about colleges and applications and such, I was just trying to focus on passing so I could graduate! I didnt apply to any universities because I had to many other things going on. But my high school was always promoting ACC (the community college) and it was just down the street and so I decided to get maybe a year or 2 done there and then transfer to a big university. Honestly, I think I actually made the right choice in getting my basics out of the way at a community college first because transfer students are usually looked highly upon by big universities and also going to a community college for a little while saves you a LOT of money!

Follow your heart. I know you think that it's best to follow what everyone says you would do best at, but that isn't what YOU want. You need to think about the classes you love, not the best grades you get. Were you ever happy in those classes? No? What classes make you happy? What classes are you excited to get to, that you rush to? The classes that you study the best for, classes where the homework makes you excited! That is what you should follow. That is what you should study. Like they say: If you love your job, you never work a day in your life. Same with classes: If you love what you study, studying is never a chore. So please, follow your heart, and you will be happy.

College is very different from high school. You have more freedom, but it comes with a lot of responsibility. It might seem too hard sometimes, but it is worth the trouble. The classes are more interesting becuase you get to choose them, even though you do have to take some mandatory classes. You get to make your own schedule. After awhile, you realize taking those morning classes are actually better for your time management than the afternoon classes that seem so appealing at first. College is a good way to find out what kind of person you are, and who you want to be. It helps you see things in a different light. College doesn't just educate you , it changes your life.

The best advice I would give my self is to put school as number one priority, friends and activitys second. I would tell my self to take more honnors classes to better prepare my self. I would say to take class more seriously, do all my assingments with learing in mind not just "winging it" . I would have tooken my SATs more seriously and studied before I took the test. Most importantly I would keep my parents involved and not try to "keep them in the dark" when it came to school work, and I would take every piece of advice they ever tried to give me. Because now I know they have already been there done that.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior,I would tell myself to buckle down and take things a little more serious. It's my future at stake no on else's. I would learn to focus more on note taking and time management. college life is really different, thing's aren't just handed to you and if you really want to succeed and finally make your family proud you would step up and stop wasting so much time. If I could go back in time and talk to myself I would tell myself you have to and will make it into college, I just need to put in the time and effort to make a brighter future.

I would tell myself to keep pushing myself to continue my education, and that I would be a happier person by doing so. I would want my high school senior self to know that getting started would be a struggle, but that I could get through it. I would want myself to know about the many opportunities that are presented once I got involved in higher education. Since I am 28 now, I would want my younger self to not wait so long to get started, and to keep searching for the answers about school until I got them. I would tell myself to buckle down and apply for scholarships because I deserve them!

If I could back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to be more focused on my education. The miscellaneous things that were causing distractions are not something that require any attention from me. I would have tried to explain that while studying is important, focusing on being true to who I am is also important, not following others blindly. Of course, I would also mention that financial aid is very important. Researching and applying for various scholarships, loans and grants is also very important and not to leave it to the last minute.