Baker College of Owosso Top Questions

Pamula

Yes, you'll get a job even if you don't go to college. However, you WILL NOT find a GREAT job! You cannot avoid struggling/stressing financially to pay bills without a degree. You plan on having a long a healthy life don't you? Then, you'll need the security a good benefit package provides if ever you become to old/sick to work (it's scientifically proven that saving yourself undue stress will also add years to your lifespan). Only GREAT jobs provide you with those type of reassurances. Let's say: Your a hiring business owner and you're about to choose between two applicants, determing whom to hire using only the information found on their application. The first has demonstrated themselves as responsible and disiplined earning a college degree, (perhaps even graduating with honors) or the second, only accomplishing the minimum expectation required of them, merely achieving a High School Diploma? Who would you feel confident could perform their responsibilites, faith to work unsupervised, and depend upon to respect your property? Who could you TRUST most with your LIVELIHOOD, your MONEY? This is what you'll be competing with when you're on your own.

Stefanie

If I could go back in time and talk to my self as a high school senior, I would first of all tell myself to strengthen certain academic skills that are essential in college. I would learn how to manage my time better, not procrastinate, and would have done exercises to improve the speed of my reading. I would notify myself to not assume I would be able to earn A's easily like I did in high school, but to be prepared to work really hard for my grade. I would relate to myself how busy I would be and how overwhelming all the work in college is. I would tell myself to start looking at colleges sooner, and to use more online resources to help guide me. I would advise myself to look for scholarships early, and to be very aware of deadlines. To help direct me to the career I wanted to pursue, I would say to do more career assessments sooner, and to job shadow people in fields I was interested in. I would also suggest talking to more people about their jobs, and volunteering at various sites.

Hold on it's going to be a wild ride! Everything will not go as planned, but that's ok, it will all work out. Just stay focused on your goal and never doubt yourself. Study harder than you play and take the assignments seriously, you will need to remember this stuff when you get a job! Also please be careful with money. Those pell grants will not be around forever and the student loans you take out will cost you more than you realize. Stick with your major so you don't waste your time and money taking classes you don't need for your degree. Just be confident and believe in yourself because that is what you need to succeed. It's more important than you know. There will be a few professors who help you see your potential and inspire you along the way, make sure you thank them for their hard work. You are going to be a great teacher! And one more thing, buy your books used from Amazon.com! It's so much cheaper. Good Luck.

I'm a twenty year old freshman in college, as proud as is I am that i have made it to this point, i am disappointed in the fact that i didnt strive for the best while i was in high school. Little did i know at the time, HIGH SCHOOL IS AWESOME! It is a true preparation for college and one of the last chances to enjoy childhood, and lack of major responisilities. Much of the material Im learnig at the time should be review from my senior year in high school. Throughout my high school career i often placed small jobs before my education, especially during my senior year. If i could go back to those wonderful days i would quit my jobs and focus on my classes and my friends. At the time i am trying to convince my little sister that high school really is not half as bad as you think. In fact the socializing throughout those four years helps students build people skills they'll need in the work place. College here at baker makes the transition very smooth, my biggest advice is to go to college, its never too late to better yourself.

Tor, you know all these hours you're spending doing everyone else's job? Yeah, that's gotta stop. Yes the band is short of people; are you in the class? No! So there really isn't a need for you to play in their pit. English teacher needs you to write a column for the community newspaper? Delegate my dear. Learn to love that word. Start work early on the Senior DVD. It'll save you countless hairs on your head and less digestive issues. See, the problem is, you're so rushed to help everyone else out that you've had no time for yourself to apply for sholarships, or a legit college. Bad mistake. Those. Are. Important. If you don't get your butt in gear, you're going to spend the next year cleaning month old refuse out of repossessed houses to scrape enough money to go to community college. Yes, that one people laugh about. Time goes by much faster than you anticipate, darlin'. Do something for yourself, please, and do it NOW. You matter, I promise. Oh and remember how you're permanently single? Yeah, that...that doesn't change...

Patricia

September 14, 2011 Dear Patricia: I just wanted to share how much I love you and how wonderful it is for you to be planning to go to college. It's really important to have ideals and goals in place. This is just a way to enhanse you college experience. I want to take a moment to share mine with you. It seems like it has taken forever to get here, but I am here. Eariler in life I had made a plan before school started and it went like this. You may use it if you like or you can just set it aside as another letter from the future me to me. Goal: Graduate with a RN Objectives to reach that goal: * By Graduation day I will be able to have experiences in: 1. High Honors fraternal group on campus 2. Enhansing my study skills 3. Working very part time, hopefully in a related field 4. Graduate at the top of my class This perspective has guided me to success with my Bachelors-of-Science. However, living in a small rural community, they will not hire me for my degree unless an RN to goes with it. Patricia

If i were to go back in time and talk to myself during my senior year i would say, work hard and get good grades to get into the college that you want, sign up for as many scholarships as you can because college is not cheap, and i would say take schooling more seriously. If you think that you can get through school barely studying, ur wrong. You have to work extremely hard. and don't let anyone get in your way of reaching your goals and give it 110{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} and you will reach every goal that you make.

The amount that I have grown through my college experience has been monumental. It has been so valuable for me to attend college because I have been given so many new opportunities to excel. I now have the determination needed to drive myself towards my goals. To be able to actually find a goal and see myself progress towards that goal on a daily basis is a feeling like none I have ever felt before. My college experience has definitely opened my eyes to a whole new way of learning. I would like nothing more than to further my education into a university, where I will obtain the skills I need to reach my goals.

I have meet meny new people and learned much. my college experience has helped me grow up and become better suited to go into the world.

Keep your options open. Do not think that changing your major is catistrophic. Keep at it

1.) GO TO COMMUNITY COLLEGE YOUR FIRST TWO YEARS!!!! Yes, you might have to stay with your parents that extra two years, but you will be at the same level of education as your friends once you finish. What's more, you'll be better prepared once you go to a university: community college is designed to get your feet wet. it prepares you for what college is all about, if not socially, than academically. The work load and pace of college might take you by suprise, and this surprise might cost you if you start at a university. I started at a university right off the bat, and in my first semester my GPA plumetted from a 3.05 to a 0.06. Trust me, community college will save you THOUSANDS. Whether you or your parents are footing the bill, that kind of money does matter. 2.) Never buy books on campus; they're usually a significant amount more expensive. Buy from a used textbook store off campus. When there are none, if you have time (six week delivery), buy online. 3.) No one is too rich, poor, smart, stupid, young or old for scholarships. check them out online

I would say that you should research the school and be sure that the school is right for you insted of picking the one your friends go to. College is a very important choice in life and that parents should sometimes help their child go to a school thats career focused insted of a big college where its harder to understand.

Ask students that are walking around campus how they enjoy it there. Have them give you some pro's and con's. Also really look at the campus and do research about it. And lastely, check out the area in which it is located at. Wouldn't want to be attending a school in a bad community.

Darryl

Always check into the school before you go there and never take school for granted.

Katrina

when you are choosing a college make sure you choose one that suits your personality. if you plan on going out and partying then choose the school that will fit you best. make sure to get out and experince the community. this is a vital part of college that will help you to know more people. Parents should try to help their child to look around at all colleges and compare and contrast to see what will work best as far as distance from home all the way to how good the academic counslers are. You should consider taking courses at a community college to get some basic courses out of the way for a cheaper price. try your hardest to meet new people even if you are shy, this will help you to come out of your shell. most of all have a good time, you can only experience college once so have some fun but make sure to not forget about your academics.

Tricia

I think the most important thing when considering schools is to be comfortable wherever they choose to go. The graduate is the one who will have to live there and attend class there so that is the most important opinion. College is a once in a lifetime opportunity that hould not be taken for granted.