Baker University

« See more reviews of Baker University

The hardest thing about transitioning into college is time management. There are so many new opportunities in college and at times those can become overwhelming and the actually school part of college gets forgotten. College classes are not like high school classes, they require time outside of class, and teachers don't take mercy on incoming freshman just because it is their first semester at college. Another big part of college is coming to the realization that you are an adult now, and while this seems fun it actually requires a lot of responsibility. Your parents are no longer there to make sure you go to class, make sure your eating healthy, and make sure your spending your money wisely. This new found responsibility can appear very fun but with responsibility so comes decisions. And if decisions being made start to become irresponsible there is no one is there to dig you out of a situation. It is very easy for school to take a backseat to more entertaining things but just remember "knowledge is power", and the knowledge that you earn in college is irreplaceable. Lastly, this is a great experience and enjoy it.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that finding balance is the most important thing. Being a collegiate athlete, it is difficult balancing schoolwork, practice, a social life, and sleep. Finding this balance early in transition is the best thing to do. Prioritizing these things is also a reccommendation I would give my senior self. School should always come first. Education is what you are at college for. Receiving a quality education is an important step towards starting "life". The next most importatnt thing is sleep and health. Without enough sleep, your mind won't work at its full potential. Having a social life is also very important. Being involved and having friends promotes wellbeing and leads to happiness. It is important to have fun and be happy because life is short. As for soccer, the likelihood of going pro is slim to none. It should be viewed as a form of stress relief or a break from schoolwork. Finding out who you are and what you want out of life is important. Working towards that and doing well in school is the key to success.

First of all, I would tell myself to take as much english, science and technology classes as possible. I have written numerous papers in my classes. By paying attention in English class, I was able to write these papers with ease. Another course that should be taken is science. The biology and chemistry courses in high school do not have enough information in them to prepare us for college, at least not at the university level. I would also tell myself to take more technology classes. In college I had to present many presentations. The first few were difficult because I did not have the tools to make good presentations. I have learned more about it now, but if I would have taken the technology courses in high school I would have been prepared to do power point, videos, and etc. Lastly, live in the dorms your first year of college, even if your parents live close. The friends and the comradery that is made will last a lifetime. There is so much to learn from other people and by living in the dorms and experiencing this lifestyle. I would definitely live in the dorms for all the experiences.

If I were to give advice to my high school self, it would be given to correct the mistakes I have made and those my children have made. The first thing I would say is not to go until you are ready and when you have the maturity to succeed. A life-experienced college student may have much more to offer, with much less struggle to complete the work required. Let college be your job. My second suggestion would be to wait until priorities are in place. My son is very intelligent, but went to college with everything else in his mind as his priority. He joined a fraternity, had a very involved social life, was involved in wrestling, and seemed to be more concerned about friendships made than school work. He was very popular among his friends, teammates and social circles, but none of them helped him stay focused on completing his school work to the level expected from the school and certainly not to the level of his potential. Finally, when you’re ready, go. For whatever reasons you have to stay inspired, you will then let nothing stand in your way of your achievement or success.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, the advice I would give to myself is balance your social and academic life. It is okay to have fun, but make sure all academic work is done well and completed on time. Study weeks in advance before your exams occur, because finals will go by real smooth. Choose your freinds wisley and do not be afriad to be a leader among your peers. Nothing in college is ever giong to be easy so do not be afriad to ask professors for help on academic subjects. Try to get invovled with campus activities, so you can improve your resume and make many freinds. Always be n the hunt for new scholarships and interships that pop up around your college or University. If you do not need a job do not apply for one during your freshman year. Freshman year is about adjusting to college life and finding a place in your college or University. Stay in touch with freinds and family because they are giong to be there when no else will be . Make responsible adult decisions with your time that is given.

Students in high school always wonder: What is college like? What are the best things about college? But when I was in high school I never asked anyone what the professors are personally like. Students just worry about how the professors grade, not how they interact, or how compassionate they are about their students. The best advice I could give myself if I went back in time to my senior year is that professors are not the enemy, they are a student’s best friend. They use red pen to destroy your paper to give you the desire to do better next time. They have study sessions on Sunday afternoons during their free time to help you succeed. They make their tests difficult because then when you receive an “A” you will be even more proud of yourself. Professors make their class difficult to ready you for the real world. They don’t do it because they don’t like you or because they want you to fail, they want you to succeed and be a smart contributor to society when you graduate. College, make of it what you will and befriend those who want to help you.

Finding the right college is like clothes shopping. Sometimes less is more. Pink ribbons and white stripes on a red shirt might be too much, similar to lecture halls with hundreds of kids. However, possibly you might just need the right shoes to go with them, Such as, a stellar career program that may make the lecture hall not so bad. Sometimes an outfit needs accessories, so make sure you look into the clubs and organization to see if there is something that might look good with the rest of your outfit. Make sure the clothes fit perfectly one size too small or one size too big might alter the essence of the outfit. Do not be afraid to try something new it might flatter you. Try actually going to the college just as you would go to the store. Catalogs do not justify the college and there is always room for error if you do not actually see it. Be patient. Do not be so anxious to buy or choose one particular outfit, you might miss a better deal. In the end, it is all about how confident you feel in the outfit or the school.

If I could go back I would tell myself to not put so much time and effort into unnecessary relationships that have helped me make many bad decisions. Instead, I would tell myself to worry more about my academic success because in the end those relationships seem to just be an overall distraction. I could have done more for myself in terms of extra-curricular activites, community service, sports, college hunting, scholarship hunting, and focusing more on my future instead of worrying about useless things like who hooked up with who or where the party is going to be the following weekend. Time really is money and I think that spending my time wisely is the best thing I could have done for myself. My parents have never been able to help me with school related tasks and responsiblities because they don't quite understand the language so putting my time aside to get things done will benefit me in the long run. As a freshman in college I'm trying to grasp this way of thinking so I won't waste anymore time and so my future can be brighter.

Congrats you finally made it and you're about to move on with your life. Be proud of this change and try not to worry so much because things tend to work themselves out. Change your major to nursing from the beginning so you don't waste so much time doubting your usefulness in the medical field. Don't party so much sophomore year, boys will always be there, opportunity for education won't be. Cherish your time at Zeta because one day you'll wake up and those times with your sisters will be distant memories. Go home more and see mom and dad because they miss you and parties on the weekends can wait. Call grandma more because she gets lonely when you're not around. Ask more questions in class to be more attentive and develop better study habits because you'll need them for nursing school. Go to wellsville in 2013 with sam so you can meet the love of your life, he's everything you've ever dreamed of so try and wait for him. Last thing, stop saying "when your life begins" in reference to after college, life is happening now, so live it.

The advice I would give students is to explore all of your options. There are a lot of choices and you need to weigh out the pros and cons of each college or university that you are exploring. It is a really good idea to go to the college and spend some time on campus and see if it is the right fit. Once you have chosen a college, get involved. There are many activities and organizations that are fun and beneficial. Plus, when you are done with your homework, you will have something to do and have something to keep you out of trouble. To the parents, this is the time for your child to expand their horizons, so let them do that. It is ok to be involved with your child but now is the time to start letting go. Also, when filling out college applications and living arrangements, it is extremely important to let the student fill them out because the student is the one who will be going to the school and/or the dorm. Most importantly, support your child and their decisions, as they will have to start making their own.