Bakersfield College Top Questions

My parents got divorced when I was a high school senior. My mom moved to another state with my siblings, leaving my dad and I in an empty, foreclosed house. I had a really rough time adjusting to the divorce, the move, and to college all at once. If I could go back and give my high school self a piece of advice, it would be this: life will never get easier. Life will always be a struggle because for you, if it's not one thing, it's another. Obstacles will never go away completely, just change form. Remember how much you struggled with a short essay? Well now, it's a 10 page research paper. You just have to drag yourself out of bed and slap on a happy face because "that's life"! The last, and perhaps most practical piece of advice: utilize flash cards as if your life depends on it.

Terrie

College can make a hugh difference in your future! It can define who you are as a person. If you want a better life for yourself and your future family's life, you have to plan for the future today and not wait until tomorrow. Tomorrow comes all too quickly and before you know it, you are stuck in a low paying job that you wish you could get out of. You think," if only I had gone to college when I had the chance, things would have been different." There is still time, even for one in my late years, I plan to make a difference by encouraging my children to stay in school by seeing their Mother "practice what I preach, " by returning to college and getting my degree. You too can make a difference, stay in school, learn all you can, and then give back.

Susana

I woud advise my future self to not stress so much, because God has a plan. I would also advise myself to remain open to all options. And I would advise myself to work hard and save up money. These are the things I would advise myself because they are the things I have kept in mind this year. This year of hard work and patience, because I was not able to attend my dream school. I took it pretty bad when I found out I would not be able to attend, but with the support of my friends and family, and most importantly, God, I saw the good in the situation. I was so closed off to all other options that I almost was not able to get into any classes at my current college. This year, I am now open to the fact that it may not work out again. This year's hard work has earned me $7,000 dollars, all which will aid me to attend my dream school in the fall. Unfortunately, my parent's income won't be able to help me this year, so any financial aid amount makes a difference.

If I could go back in time to my high school self I would have a lot to say. When it comes to choosing the college I would want to attened it would of been given more thought. Think about what I truely wanted to do with my life and reasearch, apply, and to not be afraid of going away from home. I would tell myself to go for my dreams and get out of bakersfield and find a better college for the goals I want to achieve. I would also tell myself to apply for more scholarships, grants, and any form of financial aid I could because it is harder then it seems when it comes to paying for school. I know Bakersfield College is not a horrible school but I know I should have went to the higher ranked schools I was accepted too. If I had done that I think I would have stayed on track and actually have learned more for my money.

welby

Stay fit. You can stay fit as a high school student when it's easy...or you can suffer back into shape walking around the campus. If you have healthy habits now, then you won't suffer the "freshman 15". Don't do this... I don't want to be fat! So when you come into college please mind this. Secondly, study hard so that you can enjoy the future.

Mayra

I believe that the most valuable experience I have had in college is that I had an oppurtunity to meet new people. I have enjoy getting to know people of different background, both religious and racial. It is such an experience to be able to share our belief and goals with each other and although we may come from different backgrounds, have different ideas and opinions, we all come together with the same goal in mind. And that goal is to a attain a higher education degree.

Jubilee

I would tell myself to strive harder and not get discouraged because there is only more work to be done ahead of me. College is a place to start over and finally start working toward what u will be doing with your life. LIkewise, there are many resources that the college provides. Seek them out and use them. Don't think that you stop learning after high school because learning is growing. It may be tough to adjust to the times of classes or the professors or students, but all of it will pay off in the end. Education is not cheap, so don't take it for granted. Stay forcused. Going to school will become a choice but so is being successful. You can never learn too much. Good luck in college and enjoy it!

As a high school senior, I had a strong desire to flee the city and be independent, no matter where or what I was doing. In my haste to escape, I ignored the crucial step of goal setting and class planning. As an undeclared major, I had made no structured plan and therefore felt no need to adhere to one; skipping classes and ignoring schoolwork. I was quickly put on probation and disqualified from school, riddled with debt and leaving community college back home as my only option. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to wait to escape until I had a strong and plausible plan for success. Having a major that you love is the first step, no matter how wild it seems. Secondly, picking classes that can overlap from General Ed to major requirements will save tons of time and money. Third, and this may be the toughest, try to find roommates with similar goals, so that you can help each other achieve them, and not have to face the peer pressure to skip responsibilities. Last, having fun is important, but save it as a reward for having done good work.

DANIELA

this is my choice and my future is at stake with the choices that i make, so make the best of my life and succeed to become the best i can be.

Claudia

Since I was a first generation highschool student, I did not realize the value of college. I look at my younger sister , who is now a senior, and I see what how many opportunities I could have had if I had applied myself more in highschool. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that I have potential. I would convince my younger self that if I want to experience the college life, to strive for the best. I would explain how scholarships given because of my grades would ease the financial burden that I have today. I would also mentional all the doors that would open, such as school choices, because of my efforts. I would have so much to tell myself, but most of all I would say that it's never too late. It took me two years of college to realize what I could have done differently when first I started college. I learned my mistakes, but since I cannot go back in time, I tell myself today, "It is never too late."

Debbie

Now that I know how to act upon knowing how the college life really is I would give myself the advice of taking each opportunity that's open out there for myself and for my education purposes. School has been a process for all 18 years of my life and there's nothing better than going to school and focusing to have a better education or to have something better, just like how my mother told me when we first came to the U.S. Note that taking advantage of everything is not the way to go, I regret not being more focused during my high school days. But now that I've graduated I've felt the need to become stronger, to become independent when it came to school and to know that education is the key to success, as to some have told me. High school is one journey that was tough for me, but college is another journey I'll have to face. School is an opportunity everyone has, take it!

I would tell myself to either go to college right away or see the world. Stay away from a good job with benefits and good pay. It may seem tempting, but jumping right into that responsability ties you down without ever realizing it.

Carissa

The advice I would give myself as a high school senior is to get finished with school faster. Now I am graduating from a community college with an Associates in Psychology, and even though I am very proud of myself, I would of liked to be further in my education at this time of my life. I would tell myself to try and figure out where I would like to go in life, career wise. I would also tell myself to take advantage of different educational oppurtunites. Prepare yourself for the different priorities, and get as far as you can with education!

Alma

Do not ever allow yourself to lose sight of your goals. Do not let situations or people change your mind about what you want to do or where you want to go. Do not assume that things will just happen, you have to take the initiative with everything you do or else you will be lost in the crowd. Introduce yourself to proffesors and ask for help as much as you need; if instructors see how much you value your education they will help in anyway possible. For example, whenever you need a letter of recomendation for a job or to transfer you will have more than one potential person willing to write them for you. Make a schedule and allow yourself to enjoy your free time with the new people you will meet. Treat yourself to something nice when you've accomplished one your goals. Learn from anyone and anything. College life is suppose to teach you new things: academically and socially. Know that what those highschool professors told you about college and high school being totally different is true. Teachers are not worried about you unless you make it known to them that you are worried about yourself.

felicia

All I would say is to be realistic and look at the big picture. Finish college and find out ways or options to earn money while attending college.

Joel

I would say to keep doing what you are doing and focus on your studies. Also, that I know you would like to leave town for college but community college is not a bad idea. Community college prepares you to transfer to a four year university and saves a lot of money.

aleesa

The advice I would give myself is to never lose touch with friends and teachers in highschool, get involved with school, and form really good studying habits. In college I have learned that friends that you make really help get you through school, they provide support/help when you need it even if they go to a different school. School activities help with meeting new people both inside of school and outside having new connections help in life, especialy when applying for colleges or jobs. The last advice is to form good studying habits, in college exams and quizes are different then those in highschool but studying for them don't change. I think if you preform good studying habits in highschool it will carry on to college and lead to success.

Tyra

If I could go back into time and talk to myself as high school student, I would definetly tell myself to join every club and take advantage of free education while it last. The advice that I would give myself is to stay focused, get used to taking notes and actually doing some homework. The transition from high school to college is a total world change it was difficult dealing with the fact that no one forces you to go to colllege if you don't want to be there you can simply leave. Going into college you have to obtain the drive and will to gain education I would give myself the advice to stay focused.

If I were to travel back in time and give advice to my self I would tell my self that I need to be more focused. I would make sure I knew about time management, and that initiative is a necessary attribute in life. If you have a problem, it falls on you to fix it. Initiative is something that is crucial in these situations. The more initiative you have, the faster these problems can be fixed, and the faster you can your goal.

Buy all textbooks (if available) online. The bookstore skyrockets the prices of their books. Make use of the library for studying time. Stay out of the cafeteria - the food there is no good, or rather its tastes good, but you DEFINITELY do not need the extra calories. Avoid that certain English professor, and above all, STAY TRUE TO YOURSELF AND YOUR BELIEFS. Do not compromise your morals, because it won't ever be worth it.

I'm zooming through time in a silver DeLorean time machine, with none other than Doc Brown at my side, of course. We are in a rush back to 2006, to find myself as a highschool senior, and give me some important advice about college. The DeLorean crashes in front of the auditorium as I see myself exiting, wearing that Kelley green cap and gown and I fear I might be too late. I rush up the steps and push through the crowd and I stealthly pull 4 year younger Amanda aside. She looks at me in surprise as I yell at her. "Listen, your about to enter college! It's going to be an amazing experience, but don't be afriad to explore all the majors you can early on, or it may take you forever to find the subject you trully love. And above all things, stay focused on your goal. It will be a tough ride, with lots of distractions, but stay focused and you will make it through. " She looks at me with a smile and nods as she runs to meet our family, and regardless of what happens I know everything will work out.

Waleed

Study more, so I would already get used to having to study all the time.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have prevented some mistakes. I would have advised my self to try a little bit harder because college life is much tougher than high school. The transition from high school to college is an experience that takes a bit of time to adjust and get used to. It is important to avoid the fear and anxiety. I would most definitely advice myself to be prepared for that different experience. I would do so by setting higher standards for myself in high school; those of which are similar to college expectations. I would also advice myself to begin setting specific goals and thinking of the ways I plan to achieve them. This is important because in college, success is based on the goals one achieves. But more importantly, I would have advised myself to avoid procrastination because being under pressure can be extremely stressful. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, this advice would be an advantage and would prepare me for college.

Jack

College is a lot tougher than high school. Do not assume that you can coast. Missing assignments, missing class sessions, and sleeping during lectures is not tolerated. No matter how much a proffessor may like you, they will not hesitate to fail you if the required work is not completed. Although you can gain practical life experience in the woking world after high school you will advance very little on the pay scale without a good education. Set a goal and stay focused. Distractions such as cars, girls, and trips to Vegas, even though they seem fun at the time, will not last long and will only hinder your education. Do not wait 20+ years to complete school. By commting six years of your life to the process now, you will be securing the the next 60 years of your future. One more thing, stay away from Jennifer she is nothing but trouble.

Never give up. I put off college to get a job and have a family young. And before you know it your stuck at the same job. Its very difficult to go back to school after so many years and with a family to support. Stay in school. Don't put it off. Stay focus.

Tiana

I would tell myself not to worry about everyone else so much and not to be afriad to be the person I want to be. I was so worried about fitting in that I didn't pursue my passion in high school, which was agricutlre. I would tell myself that in college every one is an individual and that's what I should strive to be. I would say that the friends you make in college are the ones who believe in you, the teachers push you, and you won't be afraid to be that person you look at in the mirror. The best years of your life are ahead of you and don't be afriad. The transition into adult hood and college life is a scary one, but when you pull through those first couple of months, your true self comes out. I guess I would just tell myself that college life and the transition are all aspects that make you into the person you want and are meant to be, so don't worry go head first and don't be afraid to fall, everyone does at one point.

Sharry

Knowing what I know now about college life and being the first generation to enter college is really tough. Especially since I could not recieve any kind of financial aid. I would advise myself as a senior in high school to start looking for a job to start saving money for school. I would then use that money to pay for books and other nesecities I need for class and be a full-time student. Being a senior in high school, I would begin researching about different majors, to find which one I am most interested in. So that way when I enter college, I won't be bouncing from one major to another. Still working, I would put away extra money to keep saving for goals I would like to accomplish in the near future. Like, buying a car to commute to work and school or renting an apartment of my own to begin understanding true responsibilites.

Lauretta

Take the time to learn who you are and what makes you happy and follow your dreams. Don't lose focus and learn to trust in the things that make you strong and beleive in yourself, even when others doubt you. When you feel like a failure don't trust in feelings but in your intuition and remember that success only comes by learning from mistakes most of the time and vary rarely does anyone get it right the first time, but when that does happen, celebrate it! Don't compare your accomplishments by what others acheive because by doing that you are only competing rather than acheiving your goals and dreams. Someone elses dream will not make you happy. When the going gets tough, roll up your sleeves and get tougher, even if you fail you'll be prepared for the next battle, you only lose when you chose not to take the challenge. Be content with the days' gifts, wether it be rain or sunshine, and always, always smile, it attracts positive people. Be honest, openminded and willing, this attitude will keep you learning the important things in life no matter where or who you are.

I would tell myself that this is important work and that you will use this information for the rest of your life. That not only will you benefit from this edeucation but it will be the way that you will prvide for your family. Your children and wife will look up to you for working hard and applying your self and finishing strong. This is the one of the most important steps in your career and your life. Work hard, make this time count. It will be well worth the investment of time. You are valuable, you can do more and are smarter than you think you are. You will make it just fine. There will be challenges, but they are not permanant, they will pass and you will be better for it. Kepp your head up and walk tall and finish. Do what you said you would do even if it hurts you. Never quit!

Brylyn

As a high school senior, I had no idea what I wanted out of life. Now with two years of college education, I can look back in hindsight and say that I really wish I had been more proactive in gaining an understanding of my future college career. After graduating from high school I decided to enroll at Bakersfield College, an accredited junior college in my hometown. I feel that this decision was the best decision I made, considering all of the leaps and bounds I have achieved while attending BC. However, looking back, I wish that I would have understood more about transferring to a four-year university. Choosing a major is extremely important, especially when transferring. With costs high and majors impacted, deciding what path one is going to travel could not be emphasized more. Once this task is completed, it is never soon enough to look at what classes one must take in order to meet the transfer requirements of a specific university system, paying special attention to explicit major requirements of a university. I hope to accentuate the importance of organization and planning, because in modern times, nothing is more important than receiving an education.

I would go back and tell myself to work harder, and be more focused, instead of goofing off and praying that I would pass my classes. I would also tell myself to be more prepared to enter college and the all nighters.

Do not worry about choosing a major right out of high school. Majors will change on average about three times during your first couple years of college. Also, while finances can seem somewhat overwhelming at first, there are many options that will allow you to deal with the financial pressures so prevalent surrounding your college career. Do not feel like you have to attend a four-year university right away. You will save thousands of dollars by going to a community college first, and you can also save precious time and effort by completing the general education courses needed at a community college level, rather than having to pay more at a university for the same material. Websites like Ratemyprofessor.com are not always good sources to see advice about your professors. Pick the professors who will offer the best challenge for you, for you will learn much more about yourself and the material being taught. You can find these professors by asking your peers who have similar college and career goals.

If I were to go back in time to talk to myself in my senior year. I would tell myself to wait to date, having a boyfriend can equal to slacking, I also would tell myself to go the extra mile when it comes down to studying I recently came some close in getting straight A's in two of my classes it motivated me. Tell myself to prepare myself for the next courses hit the books early be ready for going to class stay on top of my work so that I can achieve those straight A's

Valerie

Have a plan. Think about what you want to get out of school and make mini goals to get you to where you want to be. But also be flexible. Your original goal may not be what you thought. Its okay to change directions, just make another goal path. There are many options out there, so take your time to look around and find something that is comfortable for you. Whether you are there for a semester or for four years, you should enjoy your environment. And last, there is no better time to start preparing. Every class you take in high school will help you out in college...yes, even workshop. Your ability to stay organized, plan, and complete assignments will reflect your work ethic in college and determine your success. Good luck and have fun!

I would tell the young and naive "me" to go into a program that can get me in track for a career early. Registered Nursing was an option that I never thought about and I would stress my younger self to stick to the program, even though everyone else seems to be having more fun in college. I would also tell the younger me to just go to a junior college, save some money, be closer to home, and get the education I was able to get earlier and for much cheaper.

Kathie

Don't take that year off that you are planning, go straight into college. It will pay off in the long run. I know that you have new found freedom to do what you want , when you want, and how you want. You just have to relize that the struggle you will have if you don't go into college right after high school. You don't relize what you have forgotten in that time. So please just finish high school and go to college it's the best for everyone.

Adrianna

There are so many things I would tell myself. I would start off with saying that I do not have to grow up as quickly as I thought I did. I would make sure one of the first things I would tell myself is to stand by my convictions and not to fall for manipulations and peer pressure. I would tell myself that I am smarter then I thought I was and I would do very well in college. I would also tell myself not to listen to my parents when it came to school but to listen to my dad when it came to life. I would also tell myself that I need to value my mind and body and not to let people use me. I would tell myself all my regrets what I would change and who I would have stayed away from if I knew better. I would tell myself how well I would do in the future when it came to my childern and helping the community. I would also tell myself how much people value me, listen to me, and respect me as a person.