Muncie, IN
Ball State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Ball State University

Dominique

I would tell students to find a school that you like and that they will feel comfortable at.

How boring the city is compared to places I've, but people always talk to me about the football team.

The most frustrating thing is probably the school work and to me the lack of tutoring

Brieanne

The worst thing I believe is the financial aid. For anyone who gets denied the schools financial aid has a hard time paying the tuition.

I believe a lot of research goes into finding a college that is right for you. You need to make sure it's not too big or too small for your taste. And financial research would be a good thing to do as well. One thing that is very important is knowing if a school you are interested in offers the degree or area of study you would like to do into. Of course if you do not know it doesn't matter as much. I think an overall look at everything is the right way to finding a college. And to make the most of your college experience you would need to definitely have an open mind about everything and be social. If you are not a social person you are pretty much going to be somewhat of a loner you entire college life. And keep up with your studies to keep up good grades. The better your grades and the more social you are the happier you will be.

The best would have to be the multicultural center and the work it does. Ball State's campus is very diverse and helpful with any situation like that.

Tabitha

Look for the college that you dream of going to and then look into what kind of financial aid is available to you and your family. Make sure that you always have back up schools in mind and do the same for those. Go to your dream school if you can. Make sure you look into all the facilities such as: on or off campus living, dining, availiability of resources, and extracurricular activities. Make sure you visit your prospective schools! Something might sound nice on paper but visiting the school can really give you a different perspective. To make the most of your college experience, go to class and work hard. You can still have fun by joining clubs and going to activities. Live on campus if you have the chance to. Living in the dorms you make many friends and connections all over campus.

I wish I would have known a little bit more about the food choices before I had chosen a meal plan. I also would have like to know more about our academic advisors and how to change one if we needed to.

The worst thing, well I haven't found one yet.

Declan

Very Friendly, open minded, and in general.... fairly intelegent.

Very Friendly, open minded, and in general.... fairly intelegent.

I have problems with flat places.... this place is like flat... no hills.....!

The first thing for students to do, is to find out what it is that they want to do with their life, not what mom and dad, friends and family, want them to do. That is also the hardest thing, because everone wants to make those people happy. For parents, its important, to not laugh, or tell their child, "you cant do that" or "why would you ever want to do that". Once you know what you want to do, chosing is much less difficult. Schools all feel a little different, so visit the campus, but more importantly, find the people you will be spending time with, visit the department youll be in, and, if you think you want to be in a club other activity, make an effort to visit that as well. If you really enjoy fencing... see if they have a fencing club, and check it out, if they don't and another school does, well that will help you make your decission. 1: figure out what your plans/goals are. 2: talk to the people in your department, and intrest groups.

Aaron

The access to up-to-date technology is among the best I've ever seen. Internet, quality software, cameras, recording equipment, and more. If you are going into a field that is very computer or technology-based, such as any field of communications, then this school is for you. Also, the athletics program is extremely well-funded, so if you're going for sports, then this school will encourage you all the way.

What will make or break the college experience in terms of building a future, the extra-curricular activities are key. Find a school that has a focus on your major, has decent funding for that major, and has a variety of extra-curricular groups involved in that major that will give outside-of-the-classroom hands-on experience on whatever it is that you dream about doing. If you are a telecommunications major, find a school that has a radio/TV station and/or an active film making organization. If you are doing social work, find a school that has organizations that get actively involved in the community. The degree will be great, but nothing can beat having the hands-on experience that people will want once you get out of school and are looking for a real job. Get up, get into it, and get involved!

The ideal student seems to be a self-motivated, intelligent athlete. There is a strong emphasis here on athletics, but also a strong emphasis on academics. If you are smart, hard-working, and you excel in sports, then this school will carry you to your dreams.

Kellie

A person who is craving a big city should not attend this school. Muncie is very small and cannot provide the opportunities that a large city can afford. Ball State does try to accomodate that by bringing in cultural activities such as Broadway shows and dance shows.

Research exactly what you want out of a university. Make sure you're following what you want and not what you think you want. I had the vision of attending a Big 10 school. I was looking forward to the football games and millions of fans. I never took in account that classes would be hundreds of students and teachers would be hard to interact with. Ball State has offered me that perfect size and communication with faculty. I suggest analyzing how you spent your time in high school and apply that to your college experience, if you want to continue that. I was very involved in high school and had good relationships with my teachers. A small school can give you the same experience while still posting a challenge. It took me a year to realize that I craved connection and thats something you can get at a smaller university. Think big. Think hard. Love your life.

I love the size of Ball State. I transferred to Ball State after attending Purdue University for a year. Ball State is the perfect size to feel comfortable in, but not feel like you're still in high school. I feel like I have been able to make the connections with students and teachers that I wouldn't have been able to at a larger school.

Lisa

It is smaller than the other two major schools in IN

It is smaller than the other two major schools in IN

I would advise parents and students to look at what the student wants to do with his or her life and pick a college that specializes in that field. That seems to be the best way to find an academic match. I would also tell parents not to push their children into going to college right after high school. If a child wants to go, he or she will take the step to apply to a college on his or her own. Parents should not tell their children that they favor a particular school either. Students often feel like the main reason they came to college was to appease their parents. This makes it very hard to decide on a career field that would make the student happy, and it makes for a rough first year at college not knowing what you want to do or if you want to be there. Parents need to talk to their children, and vice versa, before deciding on a college and a major. Communication is key when it comes to having a fun and rewarding college experience.

Krystin

It is most important that the student set himself/herself up for success. Pick a college that most closely matches who you are, not necessarily who you want to be. If you put yourself completely out of your element, you are more likely to fail. Be realistic about your expectations in your new world. Don't be afraid to call your mom every time you miss her. It's okay to be home sick. It'll be much easier on you when you look around and realize there are 20,000 kids missing home too. Don't forget to thank your aunt the first time she sends you cookies. If you show gratitude, the much coveted home cooked goodies will keep coming. If you're confused, meet with your professor. They are incredibly willing to go above and beyond to help you. Your success is a reflection on their teaching. They like you succeeding. If you hear an upper classmen say "don't take a class with Prof. so and so." LISTEN. Mediocre professors don't get talked about, only the really good or really bad. Really bad=unfair expectations/grading. Most importantly, save time to HAVE FUN! :)

Shauna

My advice to students is to shop around for a college. Go with your gut! Go on campus visits and dont let anyone hold you back. Many college students let their friends (and especially high school sweet hearts) determine where they go to school for college. Do NOT do this. Head off to what best fits you individually because you will be a much happier person. Once you are at college, dont huddle up in your dorm room all by yourself. I came to Ball State knowing absolutley no one. I was no longer the big fish in the pond. I was now the little fish in the ocean. I was nervous but I took advantage of Ball States freshmen connections (a way of getting us to make friends). I have made life long friends and found two majors and a minor that I look forward to doing my homework for because i love them so much. Dont be a hermit, college is a time to find who you truly are inside. Become the adult you want to be in college and dont let anyone hold you back. College is the place to make your dream happen. Go fot it!

The diversity. Because there are tons of organizations that expose people to other cultures. I believe this brings people closer together and makes students and faculty become more open minded and respect each other more. Diversity is going to exist in our future careers as well so it is important that we learn how to respect all types of populations now so we can in our future career too. Plus, this makes us a happier society anyways. :)

I brag about how it is a bigger school with small classroom atmosphere, so we get 1 on 1 attention more than other schools. I also brag about the opportunity here at Ball State. They are very open to new ideas for clubs and organizations.

Erin

My classmates are very inspired and smart individuals. They work hard and accoplish great work together. I enjoy working with most of the students in my classes and we all have common goals and objectives.

My school is a perfect size for personal interaction. I wanted a bigger school yet small enough where I would not be lost in the numbers. This school was also close to my home town, therefore trips home could be as often as I wanted.

As senior at Ball State University, I would advice parents and students to research any and all colleges that would meet both parents' and students' needs. Students must take time to critically think about what they want to do with their lives and decide early in the decision process. One should not choose a college just because they are forced to, thought and considerations should make a difference in the selection. I personally wish I had considered my true passions in life before deciding my major. I did not have the choice to change my major throughout the years. Time and money are, and still are, major factors in my decisions. Taking the time as a junior or senior in high school to decide where I wanted to be in 10 years would have saved me a lot of wasted time. I feel that parents and educators should be the ones to inform the students of what is expected and required. Providing students with resources and information to succeed can be beneficial and rewarding. Parents should encourage their children to start early research to give them plenty of time to rethink decisions. A four-year degree can change a life.

Ball State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.