Ball State University Top Questions

I love it it is a great school

It is really a great school

Lacey

My experience at Ball State has been amazing. Ball State is always changing and developing in every discipline. Every department is doing something innovative. In my opinion, Ball State is the perfect size. It's not too big and not too small. Most classes are less than 30 people. The largest class I've been in was a core class, and it had 100 students. Even in that large of a class, we all had direct access to the professor. Core classes are usually larger, because everyone is required to take them. Once you are in your major courses, the classroom size is much smaller. I spend most of my time on campus in Bracken Library and in the many dining halls. The only thing I would change would be Muncie itself. Though Muncie has it's highlights, it isn't much of a college town compared to many of the others in Indiana. However, Muncie is trying to improve this by redeveloping areas that students gravitate to, like the Village, which is currently under construction. I love the odd locations on campus like the Naked Lady, Benny, the whisper wall, Frog Baby, the scramble light, and the fly swatter. The most frequent student complaint is about bike lanes. The campus doesn't have any at the moment, but with a large amount of people complaining, I'm sure they'll fix that soon. The amount of school pride depends on the student and his or her experiences here. Overall, I would say the school pride is average. Two experiences I'll always remember are the immersive projects that I have had the privilege to work on. Immersive learning is unique to Ball State. I haven't heard of any other schools that have programs like these. Immersive learning courses immerse you into the real world; students work with community partners and professors to learn while producing some form of product. For example, I was involved in the Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Library immersive project, which has given me incredible contacts and work experience that will set me apart from others in the field. Immersive projects are centered around many different subjects, so there is an immersive project for every student's interest. If you would like to know more about these projects, please ask. I would love to tell you about them.

n/a

Jacquelyn

The one thing about this school is they always try to keep you involved. There are always students outside with different activities to participate in. Your email is always updated with the important things that a student would want to keep track of. I like that i always know the presentations that are going on, along with other activities i would want to participate in. The amount of students at Ball State seems fit for the size of the school, as a student i have never seen an overcrowd of any sort. Most of the time i am in the Architecture building in my studio on the sixth floor, and i love it i can look out onto the campus from the class room, and its so interactive and fun. I have known many people from other big schools and i believe our school spirit is not as big as other schools are; I haven't been to many sports games but in general i never really see a big support system.

Seth

Overall, I would say that Ball State is a great school. The students are pretty nice to eachother, I haven't seen very many people fighting or anything like that. Everybody seems to honestly be focused on doing their own thing when it comes to classes and schoolwork. Ball State is large enough where you won't have everybody in all of your classes, but you will see them around more than you think, just walking around campus. As far as school pride goes, I see a lot of that. Especially the "Nest". Everyone dresses up in red and they hold up giant posters of celebrities' faces, it's really fun. The only complaints that I have really recognized at Ball State are the freshman dorms, sometimes there are complaints because the elevators in Lafollete only go up to the sixth floor, and sometimes they break down, which is never fun. But overall, I think that Ball State is a great school.

Nice school, great atmosphere - clean, well kept, contemporary, nice scenery, nice buildings. I love the environment. I feel many people are friendly! And they way they set up dorms is a great way to meet new friends

Overall, my opinion of this school is positive. I had hoped to attend a larger university because I wanted a greater variety of classes to take and this university certainly delivers. While some may worry that this would only result in large and chaotic classes, the university does rather well in keeping classes reasonable. Only a few core classes reach exceptionally large sizes and even then, the classes usually also split into smaller groups so that students have a chance to receive more personal instruction. In all honesty, the one major downside to the university is the lack of culture off campus. The town the university resides seems to reject the notion of becoming a "college town" and so activities are limited when traveling too far away from campus. However, the university more than makes up for this deficiency by having copious amounts of clubs, activities, and functions that are on campus.

I absolutely LOVE it here at Ball-State University! There are about 15,000-20,000 students that attend Ball-State each year making it large, but not large enough that you will feel overwhelmed. Another nice feature is that the campus is not extremely spread out. Usually a student can walk from one end of campus to the other in about 10 minutes. The class sizes are good as well. Most of the classes I have been in only have around 20-30 students. One of my favorite aspects is that the University works hard to provide students with several entertainment opportunities each week. For example, each Friday night the University Program Board shows a movie that is out of theaters, but not out on DVD yet. Then on Saturday nights this same organization will host a big party called Late-Nite with all kinds of fun activities such as bowling, dancing, games, and more! Finally, Ball-State has gone out of its way to make sure that students always have access to necessary technology and transportation. Many sources, have reported that there is a 1:1 ratio of students to computers. So no matter when you need access to a university computer, you will be able to find one available! There are also several shuttles/buses that can not only get you around campus, but also around Muncie! Muncie has allowed Ball-State students to ride their public transportation (MITS buses) for free allowing students to get what they need off-campus with ease whether they have a car or not!

The best thing about the school are the resources available and how nice and well kept the school is. Ball State is always building and expanding. The new workout facility that they built two years ago is phenominal. The school size is just right. Everything is in walking distance for the most part. You don't have to worry about 40 minute walks on campus. The furthest walk I had while living on campus was no more than 15 min.

Elisabeth

In my opinion, Ball State is the right fit for a variety of people, beginning with its size. Getting from one side of the campus to the other in a ten minute passing period is very doable in most cases, even on foot. It is not tiny, however, so it still feels open. The campus is beautiful and even has its own little forest, Christie Woods, to go and forget about homework for a while. So far, the professors have been reasonable and approachable and many of them are interesting. It is a very green campus, with more recycle bins than most people know what to do with, and the new geothermal project that is in development. Of course there are some issues, such as the parking situation and the meal plan, but even in the short time I've been here I've noticed that the school is always improving. I believe the best thing about the school, however, is just how friendly students are here. They are always willing to smile and start a conversation with you. We even have a club that gives out hugs on Fridays. So I've enjoyed my time here so far and I believe that I will continue to enjoy it for the next few years.

Probably the best thing about Ball State is that it generally has a very open-minded progressive attitude, emphasizing multiculturalism, diversity, technology, and "real-world" issues. Also, Ball State has a comfortably large campus, not at all confining, with architecture varying from the modest Collegiate Gothic of North Quad to the super-Modern David Letterman Building. There are events and activities for students year-round and plenty of clubs and other organizations, so that students always have fun and engaging ways to spend time out of the classroom. Unfortunately, the campus is the high-point of the city of Muncie, so that, even though things happen all around the city, it's not exactly the epitome of a "college town." When I tell people that I go to Ball State, they seldom are confused about where I'm talking about. Many people, at least in Indiana, know about Ball State and it tends to have a good reputation as one of the best public schools in the state, and, for some fields of study, one of the best in the region (many students from out-of-state come to BSU for majors such as telecommunications). My opinion of the administration is ambivalent. For the most part, the administration seems a relatively invisible force, though some students tend to scrutinize the decisions of President Jo-Ann Gora, mostly when it comes to things like the insufficient removal of ice from walkways in the winter. The experiences I'll always remember from being at Ball State will be those of meeting and spending time with friends, which BSU is really good for, having a large student body and numerous ways to meet and interact with new people. Certainly, the friendships I've made will long outlast my years as a student, as will the memories I'll have and keep.

Probably the best thing about Ball State is that it generally has a very open-minded progressive attitude, emphasizing multiculturalism, diversity, technology, and "real-world" issues. One of BSU's main catchphrases is "immersive learning," which basically means taking a practical approach toward preparing students for their careers, the job market, etc. rather than spending too much time in theoretical thinking which is divorced from "reality." In many fields which Ball State offers a major in, this seems reasonable and all together appropriate (e.g. business/ marketing). But, taking this attitude makes Ball State in some ways less conducive to those students who prefer or require more theoretical thinking (e.g. philosophy majors, political science majors) and therefore some departments and student organizations are undermined. Regardless, though, Ball State is a great school for many things such as: business, architecture, journalism, music, education, etc. Also, Ball State has a comfortably large campus, not at all confining, with architecture varying from the modest Collegiate Gothic of North Quad to the super-Modern David Letterman Building. There are events and activities for students year-round and plenty of clubs and other organizations, so that students always have fun and engaging ways to spend time out of the classroom. Unfortunately, the campus is the high-point of the city of Muncie, so that, even though things happen all around the city, it's not exactly the epitome of a "college town."

I think Ball State is a great school. With roughly 20,000 students, it's smaller than Indiana University and Purdue University, but still offers a more vibrant campus life than a small private school. The campus is also easy to travel through, as you can get most anywhere you need to go in 15 minutes or less of walking. It's more affordable than other state schools, and I really feel that I'm getting a great education for an economical price. One area that annoys a lot of students is the parking. Nearly all of the parking is on the edge of campus or off-campus at the arena. While the school provides a pretty good shuttle service, it takes about an extra 30 minutes to get to-and-from your car.

I think Ball State is a great school because it has a lot of wonderful aspects. With roughly 20,000 students, it's smaller than Indiana University and Purdue University, but still offers a more vibrant campus life than a small private school. The campus is also easy to travel through, as you can get most anywhere you need to go in 15 minutes or less of walking. It's more affordable than other state schools, and I really feel that I'm getting a great education for an economical price. One area that annoys a lot of students is the parking. Nearly all of the parking is on the edge of campus or off-campus at the arena. While the school provides a pretty good shuttle service, it takes about an extra 30 minutes to get to-and-from your car.

Tricia

Ball State is a great school for those who want big school opportunities with a small-school atmosphere. The school is located in Muncie, which is big enough to have a mall, three movie theaters, and a variety of restaurants, but small enough that you won't have to worry too much about traffic or serious crime. Campus itself is gorgeous--the school is in the process of tearing down some of its older buildings, specifically dorms, and putting up new ones, so new students may even be spared the unpleasant experience of the nasty freshman dorm room. Campus is also small enough to walk across in about 20-25 minutes, and the on-campus transportation is usually great; the on-campus parking, however, is an endless source of complaints. If you plan to bring a car with you, be prepared to get at least one ticket during your 4 years; the parking officials seems to really enjoy giving major tickets for minor infractions. The school administration is doing great work making our campus sustainable and is very environmentally conscious; the biggest controversy on campus around cold weather season, though, always has to do with a lack of snow-days called by the administration. Expect to go to class in rain, sleet, hail, ice, snow, cold advisories, heat advisories, plagues of frogs--whatever the weather dishes out, your classes will most likely not be cancelled or delayed unless your professor is physically unable to be there. Still, Ball State, overall, ranks pretty high in my opinion of what a good school is. Class sizes are usually small--less than 30 students per class, there are plenty of extracurricular and volunteer opportunities on campus and in the community, and there's a great sense of school pride. I was worried at first that going to a state school wouldn't give me the same opportunities as I would get at a private school, but my professors have really taken an interest in setting me up with great internship and practical experience choices. I'm very satisfied with my choice to go to Ball State.

Hillary

I've attended four different colleges in the state of Indiana alone, and I wouldn't stay at any but Ball State. The campus size is perfect while transitioning from high school as well as developing as a college coed. With a student body of around 20,000 you are able to walk through campus and see new faces everyday. With this sense of a constantly new community comes the welcoming sense that BSU gives you by creating an even more personalized community within your field of study. After meeting some new acquaintances (hey, maybe even new friends!) you can travel to Muncie's 'village' which is just a street that contains average restaurants, bars, and art venues. The options aren't overwhelming at first, but give students the feeling that 'the village' is truly a small area, close and personal to the people who spend time there. This lack of 'college town' also gives students the opportunity to get out into the small area of Muncie and hang out where the real college scene is, the student's homes.

Ball State has helped me and made me grow not only in academics but also in life. I came from a high school of 4,000 kids so Ball State felt just right with the class sizes and people on campus. I joined a sorority to meet more people and establish my place in college, little did I know it was the best decision I would make. Greek life has expanded my knowledge of campus, improved my study habits and made me more responsible than ever. I am proud to go to a school where David Letterman graduated at a C average, where our entire campus is on one street, where President Obama opened a campaign office in our University Village and where we have befriended a hotdog vendor who is now a celebrity face on campus. There are just enough kids to meet someone knew each day and few enough to form a close bond. Ball State is not just a school, it's a family.

Taryn

Ball State University focuses highly on immersive learning and hands on experience. The University is widely known for its slogan: "Education Redefined." After attending Ball State University I can truthfully say that I believe students that attend this university gain experience that is lacking at other universities. I am an English Education major and as a first semester freshmen, I was sent out into the local schools to observe classroom settings. Ball States thrives on giving students the opportunity to look into the realities of their future careers and communities. Student population is fairly reasonable at the university and there is an activity, group, or club for pretty much every interest. Seriously, we have a basket weaving group. How cool is that? In addition to the extracurricular organizations, there are a couple other alternative ways to spend time on campus. Bracken library is four floors and contains thousands of amazing resources including software, databases, archives, and yes even taxidermy animals. The recreation and wellness center is fairly new to Ball State and it provides various activity spaces. There are general workout areas as well as indoor soccer, rock climbing, walleyball, and the pool. It is easily accessible and can accomodate a large number of students, making it a convenient and popular place to find students. Students also reach a sense of unity during athletic events. During football season tailgating and homecoming are two major events that draw students of all interests and backgrounds. Official t-shirts are made each year and can be seen by looking at "the nest", which is an area where students sit and "chirp" during basketball games.

Bradley

I actually wasn't entirely sure about Ball State when I first came here. I had wanted to go to Purdue, but missed the deadline for the flight program. It wasn't long, though, before I realized that there was something at BSU for almost anyone and I fell in love with the campus. Although it's constantly under renovation (as it's constantly growing in size and prestige), the parts of campus that construction isn't visible are just gorgeous. And since it sits in the middle of a (large) town, it's not loud, intruding, or cramped. I think the distribution of buildings over campus is almost perfect. It's small enough that you can get from one building to almost any other within the ten to fifteen minutes allotted between class times, with the exception of buildings on the most extreme sides of campus. That being said, a lot of students do choose to take the bus system. I personally think the university could do with one or two more buses. In the middle of the day when it's most busy, the buses are constantly crammed full and don't always come as frequently as they should. There is a lot of school pride at Ball State. I think it stems from our (to me) perfect size. It's small enough that almost everyone knows at least some of the athletes, but yet big enough that we're always competitive in every sport. Albeit, we're usually the underdog, but that makes victories that much sweeter. And if you attend a Ball State football game, the third down chirp is mandatory.

It's an okay school, with alot of different attractions. Many places to eat out and hang out. But sometimes it's hard to find a quiet place to study and be alone.

The best thing about Ball State is the relationship between students and professors. Every professor I have had has genuinely cared about whether or not I understood the material and they are always willing to help as long as you communicate with them. I think the small class sizes is a huge part of making this relationship possible. While I love Ball State, the residents of Muncie do not have a very high opinion of the students. it's because of this that there isn't much of a "college town"; the town and the college don't really mesh very well. When you're a student at Ball State, you are a part of huge community that has tons of tiny sub-communities. There are so many different things available for students to get involved with.

Stereotypical would not be a word I would use to describe Ball State University. We have a well diverse group of students who are all striving to achieve their goals and move onto the next steps into their lives. Ball State University has a population of about 20,000 students and of course their are friend groups. However, one of the qualities of our campus is it doesn't really matter how you look or dress everyone is friendly and willing to hang out with each other. I personally will say in my friend group there are jocks, frat boys, stoners, sorority girls, hipsters, and club bangers but we all love to hang out with each other. Each person brings a unique aspect to my friend circle.

My overall opinion is that Ball State is the perfect school for me because (to me) it is the perfect size and there are so many opportunities to get involved. I spend a lot of my time in the library and in the university's Student Center. Ball State is the main part of Muncie and the most well-known part of Muncie. The administration at Ball State is organized and, for the most part, I believe they handle situations very well. Being a larger university, there is a lot of school pride. One of the major issues on the Ball State campus is regarding Parking Services. The parking is a hassle and inconvenience, but other than that there aren't many things I would complain about concerning Ball State. I have experienced so many amazing moments over the years and am positive that there will be more to come. Being involved in the Greek community is one of the best experiences I've ever had and I am so fortunate to have made so many life-long companions and made memories that I will never forget. I have not only become a better leader, but have grown as an individual and matured in numerous ways. I would recommend Ball State to anyone. There are so many organizations to get involved with and there is always something going on.

DeeAnna

Ball State University has a great campus. Although we are not a big school, we are not small either; that middle playing ground allows you as an individual to decide which way you want the school to work for you. There are enough people here that you are able to make it feel larger, if that is what suits you, or get to know a tight-knit group of people that allows you to have a small-school feel. BSU itself has a beautiful campus all-year round. Once you get off-campus, there is still safety and security, but you will quickly learn that the common rule is not to go to the other side of the tracks. This area of Muncie is not always the safest place to be, but it is an easy area to avoid. Also, many people say that Ball State has great food compared to other campuses - which is always a plus!

Lacey

My experience at Ball State has been amazing. Ball State is always changing and developing in every discipline. Every department is doing something innovative. In my opinion, Ball State is the perfect size. It's not too big and not too small. Most classes are less than 30 people. The largest class I've been in was a core class, and it had 100 students. Even in that large of a class, we all had direct access to the professor. Core classes are usually larger because everyone is required to take them. Once you are in your major courses, the classroom size is much smaller. I spend most of my time on campus in the dorm, in Bracken Library, and in the many dining halls. The only thing I would change would be Muncie itself. Though Muncie has it's highlights, it isn't much of a college town compared to many of the others in Indiana. I haven't met this school's administration, but this school runs on a business model. There have been a lot of cutbacks recently, but that isn't their fault. I love the odd locations on campus like the naked lady, benny, the whisper wall, frog baby, the scramble light, and the fly swatter. The most frequent student complaint is about bike lanes. The campus doesn't have any at the moment, but with a large amount of people complaining, I'm sure they'll fix that soon.

I absolutely love Ball State. There are very many kind people and those who aren't kind, aren't an issue. It is nice that everything is so close. It makes me feel close to my peers and educators. At the same time, however, we get the same touring Broadway shows and lecturers as Purdue and IU. The only thing I would change would be the location. Winter weather can get pretty gloomy in Muncie, IN.

DO NOT GO TO THIS SCHOOL, especially if you're going into the art department, and definitely if you plan on doing Animation. The school is financially insecure, the classes are over booked, and you'd be lucky to get out in under 4 years. The head of the Art department, Barbara Giorgio, plays favorites. Which is good if she likes you, but if you'd don't agree with her, be in school wise or just agreeing with the media she enjoys, you'll have semester to look forward to of getting kicked out of the classes you need, backed with with bullsh*t excuses. I had to change my major because she refused to let me take my classes, but gladly handed them out to other students. And still, she makes random excuses about why I cannot take classes that are on the suggested plan of study that she claims to follow to a tee. I plan on transferring at the end of the semester. Hurray for thousands of dollars down the drain!