Ball State University

« See more reviews of Ball State University

I wish that somebody had told me to use my lanyard that they give me!!! For the longest time I didn't use it because I didn't want to look like a "typical college freshman," but in reality, everyone uses them!!! The lanyards that you will get will have whatever hall you are living in on the actual lanyard, and you get put your ID and your key on there. This is the SAFEST way to keep all of your stuff together!!! Everyone carries them around, and I actually got picked on for not having my stuff on one! (Not made fun of in a bad way, just people saying, "You wouldn't of lost your key if you would've just used the lanyard that they gave to you at the beginning of the year!"

It would have been helpful to be able to forecast the economic and political trends of the current day. This school represents a broad diversity of American and international students, and as such did afford me an opportunity for cultural breadth. I feel it would have been beneficial had I received more academic direction throughout the four years in that institution, as a young person can have some degree of difficulty crafting a degree that encompasses more options by the time of its completion.

I wish I had known more of what to expect. I thought this would be just like high school without someone standing over your shoulder all of the time, but it's a lot more difficult than that. In high school, if you didn't have homework due the next day, you got to go home and not think twice about school. In college, you have to be studying even when you don't have homework to do. I wish that I had to do that in high school. It would have made the transition a lot easier.

Before coming to Ball State, I wish I had known the importance of high school. To many kids, myself included, high school just seemed like a stepping-stone towards college. I have come to realize how easy it is to get behind in my area of interest just because I did not take advantage of opportunities in high school that would help me towards my major. If I had put fourth more effort in high school, I would not be lacking as much knowledge in my area.

I went to Burris Laboratory ,kindergarten through 12th grade, which is on Ball State campus, so I knew what to expect for the most part. Attending Burris, gave me the opportunity to take Ball State courses while in high school, and gave me full access to all of Ball State's facilities. The one thing I wish I would have been more prepared for, was the cost of living and the high price of books.

I wish I would have known at the beginning how important it is to stay on top of things and to continue to explore possible career paths. I had no idea how fast the four years would go by, so the last two years were terribly hectic for me. Coming into college knowing the importance of exploration and flexibility with plans would have alleviated much stress during my last two years.

I wish that I would hve known the layout of the campus more before classes started. It's a very large campus and, although the buildings all have signs, it is very easy to become lost. It's also very difficult to figure out the shortest/quickest way to classes from your dorm. Since it is summer, finding a quick way to class is a necessity so that you don't overheat.

I wish I would have known the clubs and activities you could join. By the time I got to school and got settled in many of the clubs were not accepting new members because the deadline date had passed. I wish I could have joined a club before starting school so that way when I started I could have began immediately making new friends.

Ball State is lacking in explanation of graduation responsibilities for their students. I often had to figure out required responsibilities on my own, which was stressful and not very efficient. I understand everything that was expected of me now, but a trial and error process is not always the most conducive enviroment for success.

You are on your own at this point. You will have the support of your family and friends, but as far as responsibility, it will be up to you to make sure that you are taking care of business. There is alot of temptation, be careful not to give in. Do not get credit cards, and they will be offered to you all the time!