Ball State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Ball State University

Ruby

I love Ball State so much! There's plenty of fantastic opportunities for everyone! The food is great and is only getting better with the edition of a whole new dining hall. The sports aren't great, but the intramurals are engaging and a great time with friends.

Cassidy

Ball State is an amazing school where the teachers care. I am so happy I completed my undergrad here and would not change it for anything. I participated on the sports teams and the atmosphere was great. The support for various teams is strong and there is typically a strong attendance on game day. Ball State also has many student services put in place to help the students.

Shamara

Ball State has been my home for about 3 years now. At first, I did not want to come here. It was not my first choice of school, but it has grown on me ever since day one. I think that it is a pretty decent school overall, but the main thing that needs to be fixed is the variety of food on campus. Also, a lot of the food does not taste right. Maybe actually cooking the food and not buying things already pre-made or cooked.

Kelli

I very quickly fell in love with this place. Campus is absolutely beautiful and always clean with a safe atmosphere. There are plenty of organizations to join and other ways to get involved, so staying in your dorm room is a rare thing. 10/10 would recommend to anybody else that is pureeing a liberal arts education. Ball State is the way to go. Chirp chirp!

Kyle

There are some problems with the communication aspects between the office faculty and students, but overall I love it here. I think the campus is perfect in aize and beauty. I can engage in intelligent conversation with my classmates and professors. I have not been a part of the party scene this semester due to my new job that I am hoping will help pay my way through school, but last semester I know the parties were great.

Riley

I absolutely love Ball State, it's like my home away from home. I have met so many friendly people there, and everyone is willing to help you! I have definitely met some of my life long friends there. I love how many resources they have available to you! The transition from high school to college went very smoothly.

Olivia

I think that Ball State is a great school, especially if you are looking for a college that's big but has a small feel. There are plenty of things to do but you can get around really easily and you get accustomed to campus fairly quickly after starting college.

Ball State is very good university but the city of Muncie, India is very tiny. There's really nothing to do out there besides go to school.

It is a great school full of things to do and resources to use. Ball State gives you a big school feel on a smaller, more comfortable campus. There is a lot of diversity and everyone I have met has been friendly and open. It is not a perfect school, but it really is an excellent place to get a good education, network, and start your career.

Sommr

Small area but decent size campus

Katie

I'm returning as an online student after attending fresh out of high school 8 years ago. The atmosphere there is like nothing I've ever felt, campus events were fun and multicultural. Class discussions were engaging for everyone and the housing on campus was cramped but nice.

Nikki

Ball State University is a school with a lot of diverse opportunities, both in and out of the classroom. I have found no end to the amount of clubs and student organizations to get involved in. I work in housing, and honestly we have a great housing and residence life community. You can live with people in your same major, which is really beneficial. The professors are generally always available and open to helping you- I have had several professors give me higher course grades than I likely deserved simply because I showed up to office hours a few times. There are lots of things to do around campus: I love to go to Friday Night Film-works, where they show newer movies that were just taken out of theaters, I regularly visit the planetarium (the biggest in the state and one of the most advanced ones in the country!), and there is always a Saturday "late nite" event to attend. All of these things are free and you can go again and again and never be bored. There is also the art museum, Christy woods, and nearby orchid greenhouse. You will not get bored at Ball State, even though it is in the middle of nowhere. You will learn to love Charlie Cardinal, Benny, and Frog Baby, and by the end of your senior year you will have hopefully high-fived Happy Friday Guy in the Atrium. I love Ball State, because even though it is big, I will always recognize someone as I walk across campus. It is a friendly community full of bright, talented students. I hope you decide to come! #chirpchirp!

Caroline

Ball State University is a good college for a good price. It is a medium school so students feel safe without feeling suffocated. The professors are supportive of your education and try their best to help each student. There are opportunities for experience in your field, but you have to look for them.

Kiah

All in all a good school if you’re already in the area. I came from the Pacific Northwest and would stay closer to home if I could do it all over again. Professors are hit and miss. I’ve had some who inspired me and taught me a lot. I also had a biology professor (it was a biology for educators class) who told us that human zygotes were haploid cells and accused the class of being racist when complaints were made against her.

Winter

I love it! Ball state is the perfect size. I was worried about coming here because the only people I knew that came to Ball State had dropped out. Everyone in my high school went to really good, sometimes Ivy League schools, so my peers prepared me for Ball State to be a blow off school, but it's totally not.

austin

Ball State University is an excellent place to acquire the skills needed to be "Real-World Ready" through various leadership, academic, and extracurricular opportunities. BSU has a strong focus on turning students into leaders in their chosen fields with the help of an excellent faculty ready to help students branch out of their comfort zone and experience their full potential. With such an emphasis on leadership, however, it can be easy to get lost in all of the opportunities the university offers to its students. That's where Housing and Residence life comes in to offer free tutoring for students, seemingly endless events from bingo to laser tag, and plenty of other resources to assist in academics or any other issues students may have. With over 400 clubs on-campus, there is always something new to experience at Ball State University.

Blake

It is a pretty good university. Great professors, class size, and community. Poor city, housing, and not entirely safe. BSU excels in the arts, especially telecommunication, business, and teaching. But, can be lacking in other departments. Tons of extracurricular options for every student.

sara

When I was applying for colleges, people said that Ball State University was a good school, but it was challenging. I like to think of myself as pretty smart, so I went ahead and applied. After a few weeks of classes, I understood why people said it was challenging. Even though some of the classes require a lot of work, there are facilities that are available to the students that help them learn the material and prepare for tests better. I love the educational and social activities that Ball State University offers and I am so glad that I chose BSU as my home for the next 3 years.

Robin

I finished my sophomore year and I really enjoyed the new challenges that came with it. I got my first job on campus, which is really exciting because it gives me experience in my field and major before I graduate. Turns out, I very much enjoy working as an archaeologist. I'm in a few clubs (Doctor Who Club, Anthropology Club, French Club, Anime Club) and I really like my professors.The class sizes aren't too big and I like the lecture halls. There's so much I can do here! Overall, Ball State is a pretty good school and I can't wait to come back in the Fall!

Ball state is a great college. It has a lot to offer from greek life to different recreational arts opportunities. Its mostly known for its educational programs and telecommunications programs. Ball State is a safe campus and is close to pretty much anything you need.

I love Ball State! I am proud to go there. I am given immersive learning experiences every semester to help me be prepared for when I have my own classroom. Also, everyone is friendly and because of all of the groups/clubs/greek life it is so easy to meet people! The campus is beautiful especially in the fall.

Jamari

Very well rounded school as the school try it's best to keep the students occupied with some fun engaging activities to watch or join. The student overall life here is chill and you have a great opportunity to meet new people.

Miranda

I love going to Ball State! Sometimes it really sucks, but campus life is great

Alyssa

Ball State University is a gorgeous campus with an abundance of opportunities. From academics to extracurricular activities, there is something for everyone! Everything on campus is along one road, so walking is to a minimum, no sprinting to class! Every college within the university has a top rating, from the business school, to the nursing and journalism programs. The campus is full of life and history and there is no doubt that you will fall in love the moment you lay eyes on it.

Claire

Ball State is a great school with a strong academic program and a variety of extracurricular activities. On campus housing is very convenient, and the food is great during the weekdays, but during the weekends a lot of things go out of stock or close completely, and you can be stuck eating the same thing for two days in a row, which can get a little annoying. Campus facilities are nice, handy, and clean. The class size is perfect and the professors are very accommodating and helpful. The frat houses are a little off campus, making for a quiet, respectable atmosphere. Some of the buildings are old, but they're working on renovating and/or rebuilding some of the dorms and are building a new health professions building. All of the faculty are passionate and their dedication is apparent.

Ariel

Ball State was my first choice when applying to universities. I remember the first time I toured the campus I immediately felt like this was where I belonged. If I could go back in time and re-pick a university to attend, I would still choose Ball State. My professors have been amazing, I have found life long friends, and while my experiences haven't all been sunshine and rose petals, I have grown so much as a person and am so happy to be here. My college experience so far has been incredible and I wouldn't change any of it.

Ball State is like a second home to me. I have never felt more like I belong here than anywhere else. If you want the best college experience and a campus you can really get comfortable with this is the right place for you. If you don't go to Ball State you might as well go home.

Tamera

Ball State University is a very underrated school considering we are known for great programs for multiple majors; telecommunications, nursing, architecture, and teaching. Telecommunications program gets you working with professional equipment by sophomore year. Nursing also gives hands-on experiences. In the architecture program, you'll stay busy​ but also have the opportunity to go on trips. The teaching program allows you to go out and teach actual classes. The campus is beautiful and we are constantly expanding and renovating. The older dorms are in the process of being torn down and replaced with newer ones. The professors that I have had are overall kind, understanding, and always ready to offer assistance. Of course, there will be some that aren't as fun or easy to get along with but that goes for every school.

Terrah

Ball State is a great state college! It's just the right size, and all of the professors are very passionate about their prospective fields. If you want immersive learning, then this is definitely the college for you. If you want a respected degree in Journalism, Education, Nursing or Emerging Media, check out BSU.

Genevieve

Ball State was the only college I applied to. I knew as soon as I found it's website that I wanted to go there. I truly believe there's something here for everybody. The staff truly love their job and they are here for us. It might be a big school, but it doesn't feel like it with the attention we get. Ball State is truly my home away from home.

Mia

Ball State is a beautiful campus. The campus itself is pleasing and pleasant and it feels safe. The dorm buildings are okay, depending on which you get. They're relatively clean and upkeep is pretty okay. The academics are good. Of course there are professors you won't like and professors you'll love but overall, the professors seem like qualified people. The social life is good. There are a lot of opportunities to get involved in extracurricular activities. The food is good but after awhile, it gets boring. Overall, I do love Ball State University.

De

Ball State has quite a bit to offer for anyone whether you want to come here and focus on academics or if you're more interested in the social life. They have great academic programs. They offer many services such as counseling, tutoring, etc for free for students. The career center is awesome and very helpful even as a freshman.

Adam

In the time that I have been at Ball State University I describe it as being one of the best experiences that I will have in my life. I am more knowledgeable, curious and self-driven than I have ever been and leaving the university I know that I will step out into the world feeling well-prepared with one of the highest educations of Landscape Architecture in the country. I owe this to the great class experiences and working environment, extraordinary professors in my department, as well as the numerous extracurricular activities that I have been involved in. This past year was one the best, if not the best experience that I will have in my life studying abroad in 27 countries, 70 different cities with 15 other students, 2 professors in 99 days. It was a remarkable time and one lasting memory that I will always cherish because of the people I was with and the places we traveled to. I can take these experiences and places I have been and use them into my future job(s) to become a better designer. I am truly excited to go into my 5th year in the CAP program and ecstatic to learn more to better not only my skills in my future profession, but myself as an individual. Of course there have been a lot of ups and downs in my college career with several challenges, but that is how college should be. Always challenge yourself to do better and exceed your expectations. Don't ever be satisfied. I think that is why I feel I have massively improved in the Landscape Architecture program and as a student in general from freshmen year to now. By doing this, I am confident in my abilities to jump out of the gate after graduation and into the work field. Ball State University is the reason behind my success here in the last four years and future. The possibilities on campus are endless when you have the right mindset and the University offers them. Every department that I have dealt with has been professional and willing to help; anywhere from the professors to the scheduling of classes and the financial-aid office to the study abroad department. Each one of these people has helped me, as a student and as a person, have a great college experience, one that I am sad and bittersweet that is coming to an end so quickly.

Overall, I like Ball State. The majority of my professors are friendly / helpful and the classes for my major are a good size, about 20 people. We are given a lot of resources to help us complete our schoolwork. There are a lot of clubs to join. Many are related to majors and some are just for fun. Ball State makes it easy to get real world experience with our Immersive Learning programs. Many of the classes are offered online to make your schedule more flexible. I've made good friends and good connections. As I prepare to graduate I feel more prepared than I thought I would be.

Jada

Even though this is a predominately white school, Ball State is still very diverse. Though there are not a lot of black fraternity and sororities, there are many PWI fraternities and sororities for others to belong to a sisterhood and brotherhood of there own. Ball State has many majors and on-campus activities that everyone can have something to do.

Dayjanae

I attended Ball State University for my first year of college. I was very nervous about going away for college, however, after the first week I was very comfortable with everything. The campus layout was very easy to memorize and everyone was so welcoming. I loved living there and would love to go back to Ball State again.

McKenzie

Ball State University is in a small-town, but it is like its own little community within Muncie. It has become my second home, and I have gained friends for a lifetime here. I would not change my experience at all so far. The class sizes are slightly big, but nothing too overwhelming!

Brittney

I absolutely love Ball State. My professors are all so nice and approachable and really care about the students. Our facilities and campus are always clean. The bus system on campus is really helpful when its cold. Although some off campus housing is in sketchy areas, on campus housing isn't too bad.

Madelynn

I feel Ball State University in a great college to be a part of. The campus is the perfect size because it's not too big or too small so you still see people from your class but can easily avoid them if necessary. The class sizes are also really nice because as you progress they get smaller. As a freshman you will have more large lectures because you need to take a lot of the core classes but you will also still have class sizes of 20-30 which is nice so you can get easy help from the professor. As you progress further into your major your classes will get smaller and will have easy accessibility to peers who are also in your major. My favorite aspect of BSU is the closeness of the students in the classes and the availability of the professors. In every class I have at least one person who I can talk to about class work and get help on which is really nice in more complicated classes. Finally, the professors are really great when it comes to needing to get ahold of them. They always have office hours that are easy to fit with students schedules and they always respond to emails within 24 hours or sooner. Overall I really enjoy all aspects of Ball State and hope anyone else who chooses to go here will feel the same.

Jalen

Overall I personally feel that Ball State is a pretty average campus. A bit larger for a mid-major division 1 university but bit smaller for a top premier university, Ball State is a place that some people can excel while its hard for others. Besides academics that campus in itself is somewhat productive. Depending on where you stay dorms promote a variety of activities differently so its like a hit or miss but when clubs and organizations aren't hosting anything the campus is boring. Due to the fact the school is in Muncie its makes it hard to do much off-campus so you have to meet some new friends and hopefully make your own kind of fun.

Sasha

My overall opinion of Ball State was good, but it is not my favorite college that I have visited. I'm looking for more of a christian environment, and I do not believe Ball state has what I am looking for. I did not have the best tour and that was a problem between my school and Ball State, because it was a school trip with all the juniors.

Andrea

I have had a pretty good experience here. My first two years, the only negative I felt was the lack of communication by advisors in my major at the time. My last two years, I have seen growth in this and appreciate the help, only wish it would have occurred much sooner. I am sure graduate school will be much better.

Kirsten

It's a good school, but they don't put as much emphasis on academics as they do the school's personal political agenda. I believe that they pander too much to students with liberal values. The school is great, and they always mean well, but they need to set their priorities straight.

Allison

Ball State University is a well rounded school with great fields of studies, facilities, and activities so you feel you receive your whole college experience. Though I love my school I do feel that it is evident the school was built by businessmen. They do little things in your college experience to milk money out of their students, who are already paying so much as it is. From there strict parking laws, housing plans, and meal plans, if you do not use you meal for that time of day it is forfeited and you give them money for no reason, they are always sneaking money from your pocket. I love my school and do not regret going there, but there are serious issues with there thirst pursuit for finances. If someone were to go there, have fun and be weary of Ball States financial penalties

Kaitlyn

Ball State University may be a small school, but there are many opportunities to get involved in clubs, fraternities, sororities, academics, sports, and other ongoing events on and off campus. The faculty does it's best to help you achieve your own goals as well as the course requirements so that you are ready for the world ahead of you post-graduation.

Cameron

Ball State University says they are top in the nation for many things. However, I am an upcoming senior at Ball State and have lived on campus a couple of years and have lived off campus for one year and I absolutely love off campus because the on-campus housing is a joke. The food is terrible as well as overpriced and I would much rather recommend you to get off campus food as well. The classes however at Ball State are very good when it comes to the professor actually taking time out of his day to help you with what you need to succeed. Ball State is a good school if you live close to it or your driving range of about two or three hours, however, if you have to drive across state lines or for several hours then I would recommend somewhere else because I am sure other schools have the same or even better amenities than Ball State and are closer and cheaper.

Ball State University is a great college campus. Students are very active on and off the school grounds and professors are there for you when you need help or the teacher/ graduate assistants are. Ball State also has activities for students to partake in during the week and on weekends. I do recommend using ratemyprofessor.com for help on when choosing your classes. It helps a lot.

Victoria

I think that Ball State is such a wonderful school. The people, from the students to the staff members, are so incredibly welcoming and friendly. There are so many activities that students are able to join and be a part of. I would not have been as happy at any other school as I am at Ball State. I have met some of the best people and professors here.

The campus is great! The people you meet are friendly and the food is even good. The professors are very helpful in other classes. Not really in my major. I say that, because not every professor cares. With that being said two of my advisers are great! The third one not so much. If you want to major in Child Life I advise going some place else!

Emma

Ball State is where I belong. The class sizes range from small and interactive to medium sized lecture halls with accessible professors. Our campus is beautiful and kept very clean. There are many opportunities to be involved in our community. Being a student athlete, I feel that the school puts emphasis on academics first. I really like this because we want to excel in the class room and in sport.