Ball State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Ball State University

My overall review is that Ball State is a great school. There are always things to do on or around campus which makes for an interesting evening or weekend. If you have a hobby or passion you aren't pursuing as a career, there probably is a club for it. Greek life is very involved in service projects and in the people around them. I originally fell in love with Ball States amazing music school and was in it for a short time, but realized I wanted a different career. Ball State has been a great home to me and I have found happiness and freedom there, where I use to feel very trapped in my hometown. I wouldn't want to be at any other school.

Jalynn

This university is very diverse and respectful and accepting of people’s differences whether it be culturally, visually, etc. Ball State is a very good at making your college experience fun while making education just as important. I am proud to say that I am a part of such a caring, learning, supportive school!

Christopher

While going to Ball State University, I have found that there are things I am very passionate about. Whether it comes from the mental health care of the nation, to understanding the social dynamic from communities all around the world, Ball State has engaged my brain and my brain has grown from it. Granted, you will get teachers that shouldn't be teaching the classes, there are plenty of phenomenal teachers overall at this campus. Ball State's motto of "education, redefined" is very suited but not in the way Ball State meant it to be. It is through many discourses provided by Ball State that has made epistemology grow. Because of this, I am a better person overall and I will continue to be learning/engaging people from all walks of life due to this university.

Annamarie

I really loved Ball State and I’m planning to attend there in the Fall. I thought there was a really great positive atmosphere with a ton of opportunities acedemically and extracurriculars. There facilities are amazing and really acccessible. I know I’m going to love it there.

Deanna

I chose Ball State University as my college of choice because I had taken a trip down there to visit some of my friends who attend the campus, but after taking this visit I realized that this was the school of my dreams. I came home after that weekend and researched my intended major which is telecommunications and realized that there are so many great opportunities for me at Ball State then the campus I was at beforehand. Not only is the campus great for my major, but is a beautiful campus with so much always going on. From sporting events to clubs, to fraternity/sorority events, there is something for everybody and anybody at this campus. Go Cardinals!

Kyle

Unfortunately, Ball State is more of an average-good school compared to the vast majority of schools. There are too many times when students find themselves bored and/or not challenged enough, which in turn leads to a college experience that is not always so positive.

Mariah

Ball State University is overall a nice school. If you live on campus, there can be plenty of activities to get involved in so long as the student actively pursues what they might be interested in. The Village, a small hot spot full of shops and food stops just off campus, is something worth checking out every once in a while. When all the on campus activities have been exhausted, however, there isn't much to do off campus. If the student wants their college experience to be a good one, it's best to participate in any extracurricular activities as they can handle among all their studies,

Kelsey

Ball State University has steadily improved every year that I have been here. Each year, I see new additions in facilities and faculty that often enrich the school. If you are studying education, journalism, public relations, or architecture Ball State is best-suited to help you succeed. Students from other majors don't have as many opportunities for extracurriculars, travel, and networking as these students do.

Melissa

Ball State has a BEATIFUL campus, with just the right size everything, class size and more. There are hundreds and hundreds of groups and organizations you can choose to be a part of. No one is alone! The teachers are super willing ron help you one on one and the majority of students there are kind.

Madison

Ball State is a great school! They especially have a wonderful teaching and telecommunications/communications program! I always feel like im home when I'm on Ball State's campus. It's a medium sized university, but that's the perfect size for campus life, academics, and extra-curriculuars! Ball State was my number one choice :)

Jauon

Ball state is exactly what you make out of you. There is not very much to do in the city but there's no way you should be bored on the weekend and you should be challenged in the classroom. Ball state campus size is amazing, it is pretty big but everything is pretty close. The campus is also very seasonal, it is very pretty in the fall and spring.

Lilly

Ball State is a smaller school with big parties happening just off campus almost every night. There is a big party scene but you will not find it unless you're looking or it. The campus is very clean and well kept. That is one thing I really admire. Although Ball State is in Muncie, In, the school is safe. The professors I have met are all willing to go an extra step to help a student succeed if they ask for help. All in all a good state school if someone is staying in-state for the low cost tuition.

Abigail

My overall opinion of Ball State University is that it is possibly one of the most welcoming campuses around Indiana. The students are lively, creative, and are always willing to put forth their best effort and leave little room for the inability to do so. Clubs and other organizations are rather large and incredibly easy to get involved with. In complete honesty, Ball State is like a second-home to most students. There is love, laughter, and a vast majority of other wonderful things.

Corwyn

It's a really good school all around, but the food can get old after awhile. Class sizes are really nice unless its a core requirement. The Rec is super nice, and most of the housing is really nice but what isn't is being torn down. The biggest downfall is that muncie isn't the nicest place to be, but Ball State is really cleaning it up and the Movie theater is the nicest I have ever seen in my life, including on TV.

Margaret

Ball State is a great school. Most of the professors I've had have been great with the exception of a few, but there's always going to be a couple teachers like that. The dorms are pretty nice depending on which one you get put in. There are plenty of resources for students like tutoring at the learning center. It's a beautiful campus and it is easy to get around. Overall a great school and I would 10/10 recommend Ball State University! Just watch out for the geese!

Monica

Ball State University is a great school in that there are numerous organizations and clubs that you can join that fit into your parlor. Whether it be a club on your major, interests, hobbies, religion, or even ethnic background, it has got it all. If by chance something seems missing, there is always a way to start up a new organization that that be beneficial. The professors are extremely understanding and informative. From the very beginning of class, they let you know what they expect from you and how to succeed in their class. Sport games can be exciting depending on which ones you go to. There are a lot of resources and materials you can obtain from the institution. Overall, it gives students opportunities to add value to their daily lives and a sense of purpose.

David

Ball State is a good school. They provide you with the tools you need to be successful. All you have to do is make sure you go out and find them. The classes are taught be professors that know what they are teaching the students. Also they give you the hours to find them after class.

Emelia

As for my major, I have amazing opportunities for enrichment and learning. The professors are amazing and I feel like I can contact my professors whenever I need to. The atmosphere here is extremely safe and I feel like if I need to walk alone at night to get somewhere, I can get there safely and easily. The campus is full of emergency responders who will be to you very quickly if you hit a button saying you feel unsafe, and cops can even drive or walk you home if you feel unsafe. Everyone is kind and people are very respectful here. All around, this is a great campus with a lot of opportunities and easy to get involved.

Charrey

Ball State University is a dream come true and better yet. I miss that campus and the people so much. The ratings I gave above are extremely honest. When I say teachers were always available, they pretty much were. I remember working on a group project and we had some questions for our professor and he said that he had some plans for the evening but was willing to FaceTime us later on to help, and he did. It was astounding! I've never seen another professor do as such. The campus is beautiful, the food is great, the students were the most friendly people I have ever met. In the past I've had a hard time making friends. Within my first two days at Ball State I had dozens of friends and our friendships grew tremendously while I was there. For the extracurriculars...there are hundreds of clubs and activities to get involved in, and they're so exciting, it's hard to choose just one. I wasn't huge on partying, but parties did take place off campus and only on the weekends besides the special 100 year anniversary events and no-drugs "Late Nite" extravaganzas (yes, that's how they spelled it). The education was beyond my belief. Being someone who came from a failing school district back home, Indiana was a major leap for me, I was shocked about how hard the classes were and how much smarter everyone else seemed, but I wanted to be like them so I worked harder and met everyone else's pace and got on the Dean's List. I was so inspired, especially by my professors, I really wanted to be like them. The campus? It seems like it's own little town, and even though it's not exactly it's own town, it has so many stores close by, it didn't take long to walk to places like WalMart or grab a shuttle to Aldi. For the sports, I had previously gone to a school that wasn't very involved with sports, so seeing sports facilities everywhere was shocking...the school even has it's own football stadium (I know it might not seem shocking to most, but believe me, it was quite a shock for me)! And most importantly, it was such a safe place to be. I never felt harmed, I never felt like I was in danger. There are emergency call stations all throughout the entire campus and I did not feel bad when I had to walk alone across campus because I had so much trust in my peers and the campus' security. People who go to Ball State are so lucky!

Danyelle

Ball State is an amazing university with plenty of things to do and ways to get involved. I'm originally from Michigan and I still feel like I'm at home on campus. Many smiling faces and people eager and willing to help. Academically, Ball State is wonderful and if you ever have a question there is either a professor, classmate, or study group willing to help. Tutoring is also major here, there is literally always someone who can help with any subject you find yourself struggling with.

Gabrielle

I am a current sophomore at Ball State University and I love the campus. I love the diversity of it. I love the different opportunities for everything. I suppose the school has to be lively though, considering how dead Muncie is. It is a solid 4/5 stars.

Adrianne

Ball State University is great for Indiana residents. I came from out-of-state, and felt that it was not worth moving far away to attend the college. I also felt as though everyone I interacted with at the college was fake. I was disappointed with my own college experience, but I bet others will enjoy the school.

I like the feel of the university as a whole and the academic and even social opportunities are great. The only bad thing is the location. Muncie is a dreary, gross, and small town the only good thing here is Ball States campus. Another thing that is hard for me personally is living in the dorms. It doesn't feel like home, the RA's act like they are cops, and there are so many rules. I just like to be a free individual and it's hard especially when living in the dorms.

Kennedy

I love it. People are friendly, helpful, and the academic atmosphere is what I was hoping to find in a college experience. My professors are regularly available and willing to work with me. The recreational and tutoring facilities are far beyond what I expected, and there are many unique clubs and organizations to join.

Annie

Ball State is a great campus and school. Choosing between IU, Purdue, and Ball State was an easy choice. With a smaller campus, generally small classes, and one of the best-known education programs in America, it was an easy decision to attend Ball State. I have met people from other states who have visited Ball State for tournaments or campus visits and they always comment on the beauty and accessibility of the campus. Classes range from large lecture to rooms with 15 to 20 students. The professors make a true effort and have a passion for what they are doing. There are hundreds of clubs and organizations to join, and multiple on and off campus jobs. Ball State truly feels like home.

Morgan

I love Ball State University! The campus is amazingly beautiful and their education program is prestigious and always keeps me motivated! Professors are more than willing to help whenever they can and try to be available even outside of posted office hours. These are really great things we have to offer but what's number one? AMAZING FOOD.

Dominic

So far, I've really enjoyed my experience at Ball State. My classes have helped me learn more about myself and what I want to accomplish in my future career. As someone who is not very outgoing, the large selection of clubs to join made making friends easier. The housing accommodations have been great; I hope to move into a university-owned apartment next year after spending two years in the dorms.

MaKenzie

I really love being here. It wasn't my first choice school, but I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else. I feel so at home here, and all the opportunities I have here are insane. If I want to do something, the school most likely has it available to me, if not something similar. I love being here more than anything, and I definitely recommend it.

Ashton

Ball State is a great school with a homely feel and great academics. There are hundreds of Club actvities to chose from. There are tons of actvites held throughout the year and there is never a dull momement. I highly recommend.

Deni

Overall, Ball State university is a very fun yet academically challenging university. There are many great things about the school, the campus alone being one of them. The University offers a lot of great resources for students to utilize, academic and recreational. Whether or not you have a good experience though, is up to you.

Alex

It’s small and you get to know everyone really quickly which is amazing, big down part is that out buss system isn’t good so everyone has to walk everywhere cause there also isn’t good parking.

alexis

terrible.

Adeline

My overall opinion of Ball State University is that it is not too small but not too big either. For me personally, its also far enough from home to have a sense of independence, but close enough to home if I needed to go back. The classes aren't too big except for a select few required courses. The campus always looks nice, and the university is working on newer residence halls to get rid of the older ones. There is a little bit of a variety for food, but there is always something for everybody. I love Ball State and I would definitely recommend this school to others.

Amy

So far, I am enjoying my time here at Ball State University. There are a lot of immersive programs and opportunities to participate in to prepare you for your future career. Most of the facilities are very nice. The social life is pretty good, if you have a network of friends. One thing that Ball State needs to improve upon is their diversity, but I have heard it is getting better every year. Overall, I would highly recommend Ball State University to anybody!

Jacob

Ball state is the perfect size. Not a Big Ten size, but not a NAIA size either. Large enough to get the college experience, but not overwhelmed by so many students. The campus is beautiful and close to major cities for weekend excursions. They over 100 degrees so there is something for everyone.

Deja

Great school they give our scholarships to many minorities. The campus is very beautiful and well kept. The professors are nice and willing to work with you. Sometimes they can be harsh graders and it is important to visit them outside of class during office hours to develop a relationship.

Alexys

It's a good school. I feel that I'm being challenge enough to push myself to do better and improve myself without it being too difficult to keep my grades up. It's very lively, and full of different kinds of people. There are a variety of majors for all kinds of people. A lot of the students are big on sports. I'm not too big on sports myself, but it is fun to have such high school spirit around sports. I enjoy attending the university.

Kaitlyn

Ball State is a very good choice in a college if you know exactly what type of degree and major or minor that you want to partake in as soon as high school is over. It has a very good advising counsel that helps freshman students but it doesn't have a very good way of helping students pick a major they are particularly interested in.

Skylar

I think the campus is great. The people are wonderful to be around and there is always something to do. You almost never run out of options. The food is pretty great too. My biggest complaint would be that we have to pay to park on campus which is ridiculous since we pay a lot to be there to begin with

Caroline

I love Ball State and I couldn't imagine going to school anywhere else. The campus is a perfect size and I have made lifelong memories and friends. I am an art student and It was really important to me that my college was supportive and the programs here are so inclusive and focused on helping you become as successful.

Layla

Ball State is an overall good school to attend with a great environment. They take pride in making it a safe and comfortable place for students to learn and live. There is plenty of options to eat, with name brand places on the campus. There are also safety checkpoints to ensure that students are safe.

Duan

Very good school would recommend to people. Be careful of the locals however, and plenty of opportunities for work.

Chamese

My first year of Ball State was pretty stressful, but with the help of my RA and upper class-men things got a lot better. The campus is not to big or not to small. It is very easy to get around campus in under 20 minutes. There are lots of clubs and communities to join but here are not a lot of places to hang out around campus. You often have to drive away from campus to get what you need. And some buildings are outdated. But other than that Ball State is a great school to go to.

Brianna

I chose Ball State because it just felt like home. The campus is a great size, I just wish it was easier to get to places off easier. Such as downtown Muncie and the bus system in general. I think freshmen should be taught how to read the bus schedule or told how it works.

Haley

Ball State is an amazing school that is incredibly accepting of its students. As with other colleges, there are certain teachers that should not still be here or at least not be teaching the classes they teach, but most of the teachers are outstanding professionals who genuinely wish to help their students. Ball State is a small enough college to where classes are not necessarily large, and no one antagonizes you if you are an introvert who is not drawn to the party scene. In fact, most students that I have encountered do not enjoy going to parties and would rather use the weekend to study, catch up with friends, or go to an event a group on campus is hosting. However, if I must mention one negative thing, political views lean only one way on this campus, and if you don't lean that way, it is best to never voice your opinions. Still, it is a very affordable college and anyone enrolling here will undoubtedly have a good experience.

Abby

I think Ball State has the potential of being a great school, but there are certain class requirements that make it seem impossible to graduate on time if you mess up on ONE class. It seems like they want you here as long as they can keep you here so that they can have more of your money. Some of the professors are great but there are a lot that make it seem like they do not want you to succeed. Parking services is also the WORST.

Kelsie

My overall opinion on Ball State is good. I believe Ball State is a very good university and provides excellent academic opportunities as well as extracurricular activities. Ball State also provides culturally different food for the students and the visitors so everyone can have something they desire.

Tyler

It is a great school to be apart of. Everybody here works hard to succeed to have the future they want to have. The teachers do everything they possibly can to help each student succeed. The support from each individual apart of Ball State is always around, you just have to ask for help yourself. Once you get into clubs and different groups, and just being involved on campus you meet people that become great friends.

Heather

Ball State University has provided me with support where other universities have been lacking. The academic support I receive from professors and academic advisors has proved helpful through the grades I have achieved since starting at BSU. If I ever need help, I can contact my professor or academic advisor and hear back within 24 hours.

Darrin

Ball State University is a very beautiful campus. I have made many friends here that I think will last a long time. All my teachers have been very reasonable and accessible to me whenever I need help. Work load has never been too unbearable, and I have had many opportunities to do things I love. I have also expanded my comfort zone tremendously and become more open minded due to my experiences so far here at Ball State.