Ball State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Ball State University

Alexander

I cherish my time at Ball State University more than anything in the world. Not only did I make plenty of great friends during my time there, but the teachers did a great job guiding me towards my wanted career path with their education programs. The size of the campus is perfect and the housing is great, since it allowed me to meet many other students in my major and they offer many opportunities to learn outside of class.

Peyton

Ball State has a great environment and the teachers are great. Some of the on-campus housing facilities are dated and could use some renovations, but there are new buildings in the work. I think that compared to the bigger schools in Indiana it is not as athletic, but they still have a decent basketball and football team. The arts are very well support and their music program is one of the best in the state. The majors they offer are diverse along with the classes and also there are ample opportunities to get involved.

Kiley

Ball State University is an amazing school that not only focuses on academics, but the student also. The school is always getting students out and about with everyday activities and very hands on learning. Overall this is an amazing school in which I enjoy going to. GO CARDINALS!!!

Nykia

I absolutely dislike this school. They do not take mental health, students well being, or bullying seriously. Some teachers even bullies students and can be very disrespectful. It's a small campus but has recently become so crowded. There are very little healthy options/ vegan friendly options/ vegetarian options. The school spirit and atmosphere it very depressing and dry. Some good things I can say is that all the staff isn't bad, some really care for the students and there are some really nice buildings and features scattered around the school.

Cianna

My overall opinion of Ball State University is that it is a good school and the classes are good. The professors are great and the campus is easy to understand. The school has great buildings where classes are held. The parking is not that great if you plan to get a parking pass. On the weekends you can park anywhere which is nice. Ball state is a good school that has fun activities for students. We have Friday night movies and late nite which happens late Saturday. Classes are nice sizes even if there are lectures. The bus loops have gotten better. Even though the campus is easy to navigate, it is a bit spread out for some people especially if they live on one end and have to go to the other end.

Alex

I'm fairly new to Ball State but I have seemed to be welcomed very warmly despite the cold weather. My professors and my fellow students all seem to be fairly friendly and open to a variety of conversation. I would say that, over all, it's not a terrible place to be.

Liberty

I believe that Ball State University is an excellent college. They truly care about their students and are willing to listen to us when we voice concerns. They have excellent programs for tons of majors and there are so many student organizations to get involved in.

Allison

I love it here at Ball State University because of so many reasons. For one the campus is very easy to get around and the professors are super helpful and try to make sure they are available for any help needed. I'm in very competitive classes because my major is pre-nursing. Ball State University was my first choice and I'm very glad I chose this school.

I have attended Ball State University and would like to continue my education. I was impressed with the online program and the ease of use with of the online curriculums. The instructors were thorough and clear. Though I am now a single mom, whom is working two jobs and nights to support my kids. I have a great career but would like to finish my degree with out missing any more time with my small children,

Kyle

Grad date: 2019 The campus is nice, although many of the buildings are out dated and depressing. They supposedly put a ton of money into the business building in 2018 but all that's noticable is whiter walls and brighter lights. The rooms are suffocatingly hot in the winter, especially the third floor, because they have no control over the HVAC system for some reason. It's just a depressing building to be in all day. I found the library to be similar. Outdated and stuffy. On campus housing is getting major upgrades with the new north facilities and the demolition of Lafollete. The other halls on the east side of campus are nice too. Off campus housing isn't the best. Most options are cheaply constructed apartments, with the exception of the far overpriced VP, or crummy houses that have been added onto to squeeze out any possible space. There are several houses near campis being remodeled which are nice. There is no separation of "the gown and the town" when it comes to off campus living. The university dining plan can literally only be described as a scam and I suggest you avoid getting a traditional dining plan if possible. Take whatever money you would have used for a dining plan and put it on your Cardinal Cash or Dining Plus account. The food itself is good with many options although you will have a tough time finding any dining hall open late at night or on the weekend outside of regular business hours. My friends and I were constantly going out to eat because nothing is open remotely late on the weekend. My freshman year we were actually advised to avoid getting too far to campus but it seems the attitude is changing. Downtown Muncie is a pretty cool area with local shops, bars, and restaurants. There were only a few classes where I felt really engaged and most of the time it's plain to see the professors don't want to be there any more than the students do. Class sizes were roughly 40 students on average. Some up to 60+ and some as small as 20 or so. Being in the business program I saw the same people in my classes each semester. Prior to college I imagined it being like the movies where every class takes place in a large lecture hall with a hundred students I didn't know. Ball State is not like that at all. You will be in classes with many of the same people from sophomore year to graduation.

Douglas

The campus is beautiful. The buildings are well maintained. The professors, for the most part, seem to care about the students. The parking situation isn't the best, but there are a lot of shuttles available to get from place to place. I am proud to be a student of this university.

Caitlin

I Love it and can't wait to attend in the fall. I already have so many friends there and frequently go and visit them or go up to watch the school's theatre productions. I also really enjoy the dorms, especially the Johnson Complex, it's clean and there are always activities going on. But most importantly my parents believe I will be safe and well looked after when I attend.

Courtney

Imagine walking done the sidewalk surrounded by like minded people all striving towards their goals. This is Ball State University. It is full of creativity, innovation, and culture. I think it is a great school and I can't imagine going anywhere else. It is the perfect size as you have good class sizes however you have many different opportunities like other big schools. Whether you are into quidditch or Greek Life, Ball State has it. Ball State also has qualified faculty that guides you to your fullest potential. Ball State was also named as the one of the best universities for students with disabilities. This is a great accomplishment as inclusion is the key to success and diversity. Overall, Ball State is a great university full of life, culture and new ideas. If you are considering, you should tour and then you will fall in love with the "Harvard of Muncie".

Zackary

BSU has many opportunities for a large variety of interests. If you are looking for a school to pursue a major in the STEM category, I would not recommend BSU due to low funding in this area, but campus life is friendly and enjoyable for everyone. In my opinion, BSU is a good school, especially if you want to go into communications, anything having to do with media, teaching, or nursing.

Peyton

Ball State is a great school with good student life, accessible professors, a medium sized campus, and an all-around great school. On-campus housing is good for the most part, though there are some dorms that are notorious for being bad. Food is great, and many students feel the campus provides everything a college student could need.

Brendan

I am extremely happy at Ball State University. My professors reach out to me to make sure that I am doing okay. I feel supported by both faculty and other students. I have quickly found a small group of other students in my major/college that I can study with when I need to. I moved from out-of-state to attend graduate school here and I have zero regrets about choosing Ball State.

Tyler

It's a great school to make a lot of friends and learn. The environment is so laid back and relaxed compared to some larger colleges where things are super competitive, taking away all free time due to studying. The professors are great and really know their subjects, making for a great learning experience.

hannah

I think this is a spectacular school with so many opportunities for every single kid on campus, no matter what they enjoy doing. It is such a well-rounded school for students to do well in academics, but also very involved with clubs, extracurricular activities, etc..

Edgar

Ball State has always been such a welcoming and accepting environment, driven to support and grow it’s multitude of department communities. it’s smaller in size, but has just as much to offer as any big 10 school. The faculty and resources are very student oriented, looking to best serve students as best as they can. It consists of various strong departments, recognized nationwide, ranging from business to nursing, BFA and BA/BS in theatre and dance to telecommunications and other media.

Deja

Ball State University is a great school for many kinds of people to attend. There are many different programs, groups, and activities to be apart of; there is something there for everyone! Each dorm is unique; there is lots of activities to do in them. Each professor has their own schedule to help students after or before class making class life easier. Ball State understands that college is expensive, so they set up a monthly payment program and provide many jobs for students to be able to pay for their education. I highly recommend for any high school student (or even a graduate) to consider looking into Ball State University for a higher education.

I believe Ball State is a great school. The campus facilities are all updated or in the process of being updated. They are even updating the on-campus housing. I had always heard people talk about how horrible college dining hall food was, but Ball State's is amazing. Woodworth is everyone's favorite, or the student center that has Taco Bell! They are currently building another dining hall that already looks fabulous. There is always something to do at Ball State!

Andrea

I think Ball State University is a great school for all kinds of students. There are so many activities you can participate in, and many facilities that you can go to, to be active. I also like how the campus is altogether, and get from building to building in a good amount of time. There are so many food choices, and can appease you with whatever you're craving. I wish some of the dorms have A/C, but other than that, I have no other problems.

Erin

With me being a freshman and not being very familiar with this campus I know I will soon come to love this place and enjoy it being me home. For now, I am enjoying settling in and hope to be making friends soon. There are many event and clubs to try to include and be more involved which I soon hope to partake in. Overall Ball state provides me a safe and clean environment, which makes me all the more excited to pursue my next 4 years here.

Molly

Ball State University is my home away from home. It isn't perfect but to me it is perfectly imperfect. It is close enough to my hometown but yet far enough away that I'm on my own. The campus is gorgeous and the perfect size. The academics are rigorous and challenging but worth it in the end. Ball State University prepares you for life and that is what makes it such an amazing school.

Darionna

I've had a great experience at Ball State. The professors are readily available to help you or point their students in the right direction to find any answers they may be looking for. The advisers are nothing but helpful. They are willing to help their students with whatever they need and provide excellent guidance for students throughout their time at Ball State. There are multiple resources located throughout the campus that prepare students for their current time at Ball State and after graduation.

Alayna

Everyone there seems very nice and helpful. The teachers are interesting, and they make their classes very enticing and interesting. The work load is heavy, so if you want to pass your classes and graduate, you must work very hard to stay ahead and keep up with your duties.

Nichole

Ball state is a beautiful campus with a good atmosphere. The brink allows for a home style feel. Everyone at BSU is so nice and welcoming. My favorite place at Ball State is the park where everyone lays in their hammocks during the day. Ball State is the best college!

Chaqya

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Ball State. I was involved in everything from the University Program Board, debate team, Student Volunteer Services, and Men and Women of Color. Ball State gave me the opportunity to spread my wings and get involved in any and everything I was interested in. I also liked that it was not too far from my family and the campus wasn't too large. Other than the academia and organizations, Ball State is also known for having pretty cool parties (i.e. Ball So Hard University). Overall, I loved my time at Ball State and I would strongly recommend it.

Drew

I really do love Ball State. It is a really nice campus and just the right size if you are wanting to go to a semi-large school. Ball State offers so many extracurricular activities, anything from fencing to the Greek Life. While Ball State is known for being a party school not everyone parties. The campus and town of Muncie have so many other things you can go to during the week and on the weekends, and within several miles, you can go do things downtown Indianapolis. Professors are really great, and most of the time if you have an hour and fifteen-minute class or longer you normally get out early.

It was in the middle of nowhere and unless you were super involved with activities, it was hard to enjoy. There weren't many places to go and the people are all from Indiana. There was also many parties at houses, which isn't the safest option, but the frats are not fun either.