New York, NY
Barnard College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Barnard College

Casey

I love that Barnard is a women's college that doesn't force women's activism on their students. By being here one is able to learn what it means to be an empowered woman without being forced in being a stereotypical "man-hater".

In looking at Barnard in comparison to other schools I could have gone too the diversity factor is HUGE. I love that I can see people of different races, religions, and ethnicities when i walk around campus. It is a learning experience in itself to be able to talk to all sorts of people. On the other hand I did feel in my first year like a bit of an outsider when I found out that I was the only one of my friends who was on financial aid.

I would venture to say that more Barnard professors take time to learn their students names than Columbia professors whose lectures are much bigger. My favorite class was a historical survey of American religion- the class that made me a religion major. The professor was enthusiastic about the subject, approachable outside of class and probably the most intelligent man on earth. Barnard is definitely a place where at times I feel as if the competitive nature of the school cannot be good for the emotional well-being of the students, but everyone seems to get along fairly well. That being said I would guess that most people have to go see a counselor at some point in their time here.

BANGHRA! I love them. I would watch them every day. Social life is okay, although I wouldn't call Barnard a "party" school by any means. But personally I like knowing that I have the option to go to different lectures, concerts, etc. on any given night as opposed to a variety of frat parties.

Barnard students are "Columbia rejects". Barnard students are all lesbians. Barnard students are all sexually promiscuous.

Kelsey

Best thing about Barnard is that you get the small college feel while attached to a big campus. Teachers generally know your name, your advisors generally know your work, your personality and your dreams and aspirations intimately. I feel that Barnard is very technologically archaic. I think it's ridiculous that the campus is not wireless and that things like housing selection, L course sign ups, Urban NY, etc are not done online. The administration at Barnard is extremely friendly, organized and well intended. They really are here for the Barnard student and work to ensure that they have the best college experience possible. There is very little school pride at Barnard. I think part of the reason is that the school tries to create school pride like a school with a lot of school pride would (say Florida State, Duke, or Notre Dame) but it's not authentic. It all seems forced. Barnard should embrace the fact that it's a college in the city rather than trying to pretend we are a rural school whose students enjoy running around on the campus...while Barnard students are generally very involved with on campus activities...the activities they are involved in are generally organizational, intellectually or creatively stimulating - it's not like Middlebury where they have a Quidditch team and a Streaking club...that's just not Barnard.

Barnard is super accepting campus. Anything goes. There is even a student who is undergoing a gender changing surgery. An interesting concept at an all female institute. Barnard students come from a wide range of economic backgrounds but I would say that generally people are very well off.

I make fun of Barnard a lot but when all is said and done, I really like it and am glad I chose to go there.

I think any sterotype is generally inaccurate for it does not (it can not) describe completely every student. Are there lesbians at Barnard? Yes. Are some classes easier at Barnard than at Columbia? Yes. Are some classes harder at Barnard than at Columbia? Yes. Do the classes that I consider easy (or hard) differ from what others consider easy (or hard)? Yes. The stereotypes describe sections of Barnard...but does not describe Barnard completely. The stereotypes exist for a reason...there is generally a little bit of truth to them...but the key word there is little...the rest of the stuff that make up stereotypes are generally over-embellished falsities.

Academics at Barnard are very strong. Really interesting courses, great teachers who know your name and are generally available for extra help. Students are super studious. You know the saying "work hard, play hard"? Well Barnard students work very hard and play so so. I'm an Urban Studies student which is great because a lot of my class projects involve getting outside of the classroom and doing field research...and what better place to be for Urban Studies research than NYC?

One thing that drives me insane about Barnard is that nobody leaves their doors open when they are in their rooms...makes for a very unsocial (and somewhat unfriendly) hall. Athletic events are not popular. Nobody goes to them. Guest speakers probably get a fair showing but it would depend on the speaker and how well it is advertised. Dating scene? Columbia is across the street but good luck.

-all students lesbians -barnard is easier than columbia -barnard is easier to get into than columbia -all classes are liberal arts (no sciences) -all students are super involved

Alison

Barnard is a college with a rich, intimate community within New York City. Any hesitation I had about going to a women's college was eliminated when I realized I was forming relationships with other women that would be some of the most important in my life. My life here has been enriched by friendships that I don't think would be the same anywhere else. The pride I feel for this school is not dependent on sports, rankings, etc. I feel pride for our community.

Barnard students tend to be very liberal, but within that the student body is fairly diverse. Most students are from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and California, even though there are plenty of people from the more obscure states and abroad. I terms of different groups, there is a distinctive group of wealthy, fashionable girls who are a minority at Barnard despite the fact that they give off a big impression. There is a strong LGBT group and a close Jewish community. But in general I would say most of the students at Barnard are just normal, friendly people.

Not in my opinion. Often I find that Barnard students put more effort into becoming involved in their classes, and many professors have commented on how Barnard students stand out from the Columbia students because of their interest and dedication. Also, I feel that Barnard students are generally more welcoming individuals and that they care deeply about their community at school.

All of my professors this year know who I am and what kind of student I am. The classes that I've chosen to be in are generally 15 people or below, and I might have one class with about 40 students every semester. Because the professors at Barnard are not focused on graduate students, the undergraduates at Barnard are their main focus and professors are generally very available and more than happy to have a conversation with a student outside of class. I'm currently majoring in architecture, and am very happy with the department so far. The program is very intense, but it's a major that is incredibly rewarding and in which you form very close relationships with your classmates. There is also plenty of cross-over between the undergraduate school at Barnard and the graduate school at Columbia, and I am currently taking a graduate seminar at Columbia's architecture school.

In my experience, most of the people I have become close with have been people that I have met on or through my floor, although I've certainly become close with many friends from my classes. Generally over the weekend there are parties going on, but most of the larger parties are at Columbia. I generally go out with my friends into the city to have fun which will involve going out to bars/clubs every once in a while, so it pays to have a decent fake id. But there are plenty of places to go and things to do in the city that don't involve drinking, and I find that just going into a new part of town to walk around and explore is the funnest thing to do with other people. On campus, the more relaxed nights during the weekend generally involve studying, talking, or watching movies.

Many people believe that Barnard students are not as intelligent as Columbia students, that they are more interested in fashion than in their studies, and that they go to Barnard as an easier way to get into Columbia.

Alexandra

Barnard is a wonderful size, there are professors who actually know your name here. In all my Barnard classes my professors seem truly interested in my progress as a student; however, Columbia classes are typically much larger and very impersonal. There isn't really a ton of campus activities because Barnard/Columbia students consider the city their college activities. We have amazing things in our city such as the Guggenheim and Wall Street that no other colleges can come close to having.

Most students dress in a "hipster" sort of style. I feel as though many of the girls came from upper crust prep schools so they had to wear the whole preppy look for years and years. I personally have never gotten out of the preppy style; however, even those girls who try to branch off, it's evident that they probably had preppy roots. In the spring, dresses are very popular, in the winter it's mostly leather boots and dark jeans. Longchamp bags tend to be a huge trend as well as various accessories from Vineyard Vines. If I had to put a style on Barnard I'd say, take a crossroads between Marc Jacobs and Ralph Lauren.

With such a diverse city, anyone can fit in here.

There is a large divide in the socio-economic status at Barnard, the overwhelming majority are from well to do families however the remainder are heavily on financial aid. Barnard is definately mainly jewish being that it offers a joint program with JTS (Jewish Theologial Seminary). However, many girls who go to Barnard also got into Columbia; however, have chosen to attend a smaller liberal arts college that has all the benefits of an Ivy League institution (I was an applicant who was admitted to both Columbia and Barnard).

My favorite class is Applied Ecology and Evolution. It's a great class, only 7 girls in total, 5 of which are Biology majors, 2 which are just generally interested. It is an upper level class so the course load can be challenging but the professor is wonderful and more than happy to sit with you all night long helping you on a problem set if need be.

If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday night, I'm definately doing homework. I'm on the Varsity crew team so that means an early wakeup call every morning. However, no athletics stops me on a weekend night. Being that Columbia doesn't really take athletics seriously, neither do the athletes. None of the teams have serious dry seasons like most of the other ivies, so we take advantage of that and most athletes drink up heavily.

That it is a college for girls which are typically jewish and wealthy. Also, that Barnard girls are just girls who couldn't get into Columbia.

Casey

it can be frustrating going to an all girls school because sometimes girls can be a bit much. but i will never regret going to Barnard. I feel like I have a built in support system, and BArnard alumni are always there for the students. Also, the advising is soooo much better than Columbia's

Absolutely not! We are whoever we are, and as for being not as smart, we definitely are. We are simply a self-selecting group, which is why our admission rates are higher.

Difficult. Just as hard as columbia except the professor's tend to care more about individual students.

This is hard, and perhaps my one big issue with Barnard. As a school in the city, there isn't that much of a campus social life, and you sort of have to take things as they come. But a social life is easy to forge, just don't expect to spend your Saturday nights in dorm parties.

lesbians, sluts, not as smart as Columbia girls

Katie

Barnard really, truly cares about women, which is so important and which I love. Just being on campus makes you start to think differently about women's issues, society, and "the f-word" (feminism). It's a good size, and it's especially nice to have a small community in such a big city while still having access to the resources of Columbia. NO ONE ever knows what or where Barnard is, 9 times out of 10 you'll have to either explain or just say Columbia. Right now there is a massive hole in the middle of our campus where the student center used to be, but the new one is supposed to be finished when classes start in September 2009. I would say I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm -- we have a suite (like an apartment) -- or at Lerner (Columbia College's student center). New York is awesome. It can be overwhelming and expensive, but it's definitely worth it for the amazing range of experiences you get. Morningside Heights/the Upper West Side (the neighborhood where Barnard is located) is very different than most of the rest of Manhattan...so explore! I love West Village and Soho, sometimes I go there for no purpose except getting away from the UWS. There is a lot of tension between Barnard and Columbia, and a lot of disparaging remarks are thrown back and forth, but I've found it's better to just keep your head out of it. Yes, many girls go to Barnard because they didn't get into Columbia and still want to "go there," but there are just as many (if not more) for whom Barnard was the number one choice. Barnard has one of the best dance programs in the country -- that's why I'm here, so that I can get good dance training (in New York City, no less) while also getting an excellent academic education. There are plenty of personal reasons to chose where you end up at college; if you prefer comparing SAT scores to considering those other reasons, you would probably fit in better at Columbia (College) anyway. The food is fine; after your first year (unless you continue living in the Quad...where the dining hall is), you probably will end up cooking/eating out more than getting school food anyway. The desserts are AMAZING, the selection not so much, and the service is often downright rude. I think that for college this is about the best you're going to get.

NO! Well, at least not the ones from Columbia kids. Sure, I've met people who aren't that intelligent, and sure, I've met sluts, but those people exist everywhere (and on both sides of the street). Certainly neither group is a majority. As for rich, yes...a lot of people are rich. Welcome to a private school on the East coast. But you can definitely find quite a bit of income diversity if you look around. And there are plenty of girls in leggings, big sunglasses, with Coach bags, etc., but I wouldn't say that they're the majority either. No one's going to be offended if you just want to be yourself.

Classes vary greatly in size and difficulty. I've had a class of 200 and a class of 4. My hardest and easiest classes have both been at Barnard (you also can take classes at the other Columbia schools). All in all college is easier than I expected, although certainly not normally easy. Studying is a pretty normal pastime; I'm not sure how it is at other schools, but here you generally spend a lot of time in the library (Columbia's library, that is...the Barnard library is drab, doesn't have a lot of the books you'll need, and is generally a really depressing place in which to study, at least for me). Of course this is an individual choice: I'm sure there are some people who've never seen the inside of the library. Students are competitive, but the environment remains encouraging, especially in Barnard seminars, colloquiums, or first-year classes, which are usually made up of groups of 10-15 women. A great thing about Barnard is the Reacting to the Past classes - they're all over the country now, but they started here - where you embody a character from a certain time period and try to complete your "victory objectives" while interacting with the other characters....it's a little hard to explain, but you basically live in another place and time period for a while. I cannot say enough good things about this program. It is incredibly well-done and so interesting (you will definitely remember that time in history...you were THERE).

There are plenty of groups, clubs, etc. to choose from - I'm involved in several dance-related groups. There's tons going on every weekend (and weekday) with respect to theater, music, dance, lectures, etc., and being in New York, there's literally a never-ending supply of things to see and do. By far the best tradition at Barnard (and probably one of the top three reasons I love Barnard) is Midnight Breakfast. The night before finals begin, the deans, administrators, and alumna get together to serve the students breakfast in the middle of the night. There's always an awesome theme, lots of music, fake tattoos, banana splits, and Anna Quindlen serves you bacon!

People (especially Columbia students) tend to talk about Barnard women like they're sluts and not very intelligent. I guess other than that the only stereotypes I can think of are rich and excessively fashion-conscious.

Sandra

My favorite experience at Barnard was Midnight Breakfast, Fall semester 2007. Midnight Breakfast is one of the best things Barnard does: the night before exams start, the Activities Council hosts a breakfast at midnight served by alum profs and admins. It's absolutely incredible, and you can totally feel the barnard love going on in the gym. It's generally one big party with sporadic moments of freak-out over finals. Last semester, the DJ played "man i feel like a woman", and the entire room burst into a sing-out. It was an amazing moment not only of woman pride, but of barnard centered goodness. No one cared about what was going on across the street or the recent acts of hate the campus had suffered. It was just a good time, an experience I think tends to get lost in the shuffle of being the best.

I just went over and over and over in my head the four tables of students in the dining hall, and I can't describe them, which I think is a testament to the diversity of our campus. Diversity isn't even the right word. It's like, a melting pot but not melted, kind of like a trail mix, where everything gets put together but the individual flavors retain their integrity, and just have a light dusting of everything else in the bag. That's weird, but it's how barnard is. everyone is different and true, but also learns from the experiences of others, and learn to appreciate different backgrounds as not better or worse but different.

Most students have definitely not applied to barnard because they couldn't get into columbia. I mean obviously intelligence isn't determined by a standardized test or college acceptances, so the whole intelligence debate is idiotic.

I love my friends from high school. They are fun and great and always ready for a good time, but I have never had a conversation with them about my favorite book or the merits of Shakespeare's tragedies over his comedies. That was by far the most refreshing change of coming to Barnard, that students were not only well-read, but well versed in talking about literature or current events or history or anything really, and had opinions and thoughts that they wanted other people to share. Barnard really fosters this sense of the importance of sharing your opinions.

If I'm awake at 2 am on a tuesday, I am probably in the library, a study lounge, or my suite, studying. And there are a lot of people around me most probably, also studying. I like that about barnard, the strong academic motivation, but it's not overkill, because you can always find people to do stuff with.

Barnard students are assumed to have applied to Columbia College, been rejected, and applied to Barnard as a last resort or a back door to Columbia. They are also generally considered to be not as intelligent, kind of slutty, and prettier.

Kelly

Half of the time, people say, "where is Barnard?" or "I haven't heard of it." I have to tell them it's Barnard College of Columbia University, but then I have to follow up with "it's what Columbia would be if it were all women and artsy." But that is only in a social setting. When applying for jobs, internships, etc. Barnard usually gets a respectable nod. It's a respectable institution and lots of famous alumni, and we all know it. The best thing about Barnard are the other women there. They all have something interesting to talk about. Each one is unique. They are an inspiring, beautiful group of people to be around.

The dining hall: two of the tables will be Barnard girls. All different races, religions, sexual orientations and interests piled together. They are probably wearing Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, Anthropologie and vintage store items. They are either talking about sex or having an interesting conversation about a film, book, class, etc. Many of them receive some financial aid but most come from upper-middle or middle-class backgrounds. There is also an "activist" table, full of really loud black and Hispanic kids who will tell you that the school is socially segregated, blah blah blah. These are the kids you will see at every protest and socialist meeting. More often then not there a good portion of them are from Columbia. One table will be four or five Columbia boys thinking they can walk into the dining hall and expect to get a date by virtue of being male. They will either be athletes or completely socially awkward geeks, and they are probably being ignored. Barnard is left, but Clinton-Obama left, not Marx left. Most are politically aware. Nobody talk about how much they will earn one day, especially since a lot of Barnard women are interested, at least initially, in the not-for-profits.

Groups of girls that match the first, third and fourth stereotypes do exist, to be sure. I remember move-in day: there were normal girls like me, with suitcases and trusty father...and there were girls with mountains of signature Louis Vitton luggage and a moving team hired for the day. The vast majority of the girls I have met laugh about things like that. We also laugh about the slut stereotype--mostly propagated by Columbia girl who have lost out to Barnard girls in the past. The thing is, though, it works both ways, but because Columbia is co-ed we can't go around saying their school is full of sluts. And nobody I know uses Barnard as a backdoor. There are just as many Columbia students taking class at Barnard as vice versa, and there is a lot of cross-campus interaction. It's one of the beautiful things about going to Barnard. Nobody I know at Barnard wanted to go to Columbia College or SEAS in the first place. As for the classes, this is simply not true. There are easy classes on both sides of 116th, and there are really, really challenging ones.

If you want your professor to know your name, he or she will. Our largest lectures are for the intro to sciences, and those are only 160 or so people, a lot of them Columbia students. If you walk up to your professor and tell them your name in the course of a conversation, chances are they will know it the next time you see them. My least favorite class was a statistics class. The professor was new and not very good at explaining things. I had to drop out. It was terrible. I love my history classes, though. I took one called Merchants, Pirates, Slaves and the Making of Atlantic Capitalism--the class was so popular that the late students always sat on the floor. The readings were interesting and the professor was knowledgeable about his subject. It was a fun class. The students at Barnard are competitive, but not in the backstabbing sort of way. We might ask how you did on a paper to see how we measure up, but we will also answer "all right" and "really well" instead of discussing actual grades.

Barnard has some lovely traditions. We tie-dye out on the lawn and the deans serve ice cream (the name of the event changes from year to year but it always happens), we have midnight breakfast once a semester, our friends perform at all sorts of dance venues, we have class dinners for the entire class (something you can do at a small college) and the entire school turns onto the lawn for class and socializing once the weather is nice. We work hard and party hard, for the most part. Saturday nights can involve the theater, the movies, an on-campus performance by a theater or comedy troupe, going to clubs and restaurants in the village and meatpacking district.

1. That we are all spoiled brats 2. That we are Columbia's "girl next door" (thanks, Simpsons) and use Barnard as a backdoor to the institution across the street because we never would have been admitted 3. That we are umm...promiscuous 4. That we are feminazis and don't shave our legs. 5. That Barnard classes are easier.

laura

the best thing about barnard, by far, is it's unique situation. it is a small school as part of a large university, so you get the attention and help of a small school with all the facilities and opportunities of a large university. living in new york for four years really makes you grow up... leaving barnard i feel really ready to take on the world and not overwhelmed about living on my own. the campus life more or less sucks - i am part of a performing group and while we receive a lot of support from the college, the campus support is lacking. that said, there is always a lecture or a club or eight different silly meetings if you're into that kind of thing. i expected to hate that it was a women's college, only to find it's one of my favorite things about it. the education is really tailored to women.

there is a large jewish presence on campus, but far less of a lesbian presence than i had expected. overall barnard women are really really motivated - and are really so different there is not a cohesive theme.

students at barnard work really, really hard. REALLY hard. academics are probably 70-90% of any students life during the duration of their time here. most of the classes are really rewarding, especially after you get into the higher up classes within your major, and even the largest lectures are around 60-70 people. there is also the option to take any columbia classes, although i never even attempted to because many think the classes and professors are better on this side of the street. i have a few favorite professors that i love to go in and talk to in my free time - they are really good about being there for their students. the typical barnard professor really cares about their students. there are 9 "ways of knowing" which are our general education requirements, most of which are not hard to get out of the way. my advice is to take an AP math class in high school so you can skip the quantitative reasoning requirement, and get your full year of lab credit out of the way early.

Barnard students are gay, fat, ugly and jewish. stereotypically. they are feminists or japs.

KJ

Greatest thing about Barnard is the student population, very driven, bright, SO PASSIONATE, open, tolerant, sometimes can be too small, but Barnard is like a sorority within Columbia University. We have that small community feeling but we still have access to a major research university. So we have the best of both worlds. On campus, I spend most of my time in Butler Library or in my apartment. Barnard / Columbia is definitely situated in its own college town within New York City. We have our local college bars and we all go to the same stores and restaurants and the whole area is filled with familiar faces and students and professors. There is no Columbia pride, or Barnard pride. People don't come here for school spirit. They come here for the education and the connections to New York City. The Barnard Administration is useless and out of touch with the student population. Things are likely to change with the arrival of our new President.

Diverse enough, not really interaction between different types of students, but that is the nature of this entire university. California is the 3rd most represented state, after NY and NJ, 4th is probably PA. Different financial backgrounds, students are very politically interested and active, mostly liberal / left though the Orthodox Jewish population is right / conservative both politically and socially. Last question - no.

The stereotypes about Barnard women are so passé and so OLD. Half of those Columbia boys have Barnard girlfriends, half those Columbia girls have Barnard best friends. Columbia was the last Ivy League institution to become co-ed, back in 1983!! That's just 25 years ago! Barnard and Columbia girls have nothing to compete over, except for perhaps the occasional lame Columbia fraternity boy. We are mostly not interested in the same careers, we don't compete for spots in classes, or for spots in dorms, or for connections with alumni because we have different alumni. I'm not even a die-hard Barnard fan, but I can objectively tell you that Barnard offers the most ideal academic experience you could ever ask for. We have small classes, engaged Professors, a great advising system that CC/SEAS still have not been able to recreate on their side of the street, strong relations with our alumnae, connections within the Sister School network etc. At the same time we are part of this top notch research university in New York City, all sorts of opportunities for lectures and visits form distinguished leaders and big classes and the occasional Columbia basketball game or football game, etc.

There are a lot of JAPs here, but honestly, this is Manhattan. There are JAPs all over this city. Yes, there are lesbians here, but this is not quite the stronghold of lesbians that ignorant Columbia students like to think it is. There are plenty of lesbians at Columbia University overall - this is a liberal campus in New York City - what else would you expect. But in terms of numbers, the lesbian population at Barnard is insignificant and pretty minute compared to what you see at other women's colleges (and compared to the gay population you see at NYU downtown.) We get a Columbia University degree at the end of 4 years because we take COLUMBIA CLASSES for four years. Whether Barnard girls like it or not, there is cross-registration here at CU, and some departments are only at Barnard or at Columbia. So sometimes we HAVE to take Columbia classes. And what about the fact that there are more Columbia students taking Barnard classes than Barnard students taking Columbia classes? Moreover, the students in the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences don't have to take the Core requirements, nor do the students in the School of General Studies. Do they not deserve the CU degree?

Professors know your name, I had a professor even call me when I had mono freshman year, professors take a real interest in your personal, academic and professional development. Barnard education is based on the system called "9 Ways of Knowing" - we are based on a liberal arts education, but ultimately Barnard wants you to put your education to good use, to take what you have learned in the classroom and apply it in the real world. I'm in the Political Science department, I think that Political Science is among the top departments at this whole university, I'm perpetually impressed by my professors, an excellent set of course offerings each semester and all sorts of relevant internship opportunities offered to students each year. Students are competitive and clearly driven to do well, but not cutthroat.

That we are JAPs, or lesbians, or overly liberal girls who don't deserve to get a Columbia University degree at the end of 4 years.

Barnard College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.