New York, NY
Barnard College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Barnard College

Carolina

The best thing about Barnard is that it really is a big family. I know that most colleges hold the same claim, but at Barnard it's actually true. I'm a commuter student who transferred to Barnard. During orientation, I was scheduled to meet with my new class dean. The first thing she did was hug me and welcome me to the school. During my first semester there and subsequent semesters thereafter, she continued to keep in contact me. All of my professors followed suit. Everyone I came in contact with was genuinely interested in helping me succeed.

The first of these stereotypes is mostly wrong. Over the years, Barnard has become increasingly diverse. As a liberal arts college with leading programs in various fields and a healthy relationship with Columbia University, Barnard has been able to attract students from all walks. As far as the financial status of their students, I would have to argue that because there is such an interactive environment for learning and the common goal of succeeding, financial status does not really make up a significant part of the college experience.

I'm an English Major. Barnard's English Academic Department is comprised of an eccelectic group of Professors who range from film makers to creative authors. Each professor develops different types of relationships with their students, but in my experience, students are always encouraged to meet with professors to discuss their courses, experiences and goals. Although the coursework is difficult and professors expect a great deal from their students, it never seems impossible because the professors are so engaged in helping students achieve success.

There are two major stereotypes about Barnard. The first is that there is a lack of diversity in the ethnicity make-up of the student body. The second is that it's image as a prestigious institution is characterized by a "rich kid" student population.

Rory

The big picture is that Barnard is an all women's college in the middle of New York City. It's small, but you still get the big city atmosphere by just stepping out of the gates. For me, this school is just right and what differentiates it to me apart from the other Sister schools is that it is not a) isolated or in a boring location (sorry if you go to one of the other sister schools; the other sister schools are wonderful, but they just weren't right for me) and b) it doesn't really feel like an all women's college because you're in the city and also because Columbia students are allowed to take Barnard classes and eat in the dining halls and vice versa. You really get the best of both worlds at Barnard. You get the comfort of a school really dedicated to helping women be successful and you get to use all the resources of Columbia University. There is a lot of pride at Barnard and I don't see why there shouldn't be. It is discouraging sometimes when people ask me where I go to College and when I tell them they don't even know or they reply by saying, "You go to an all women's college?!?!" But I just set them straight.

It's NEW YORK CITY. You will find all sorts of people in and out of campus. You have feminists, activists, people of all different backgrounds, from all over the world and country, all different gender preferences, different economic situations, GET USED TO IT. You wear what you want to classes, if you're a first year you have to live in the Quad, which are the residence halls inside campus, sometimes girls just roll out of bed and go to class in pjs if its a morning class. I don't recommend wearing an evening gown to class, but your style is you so whatever you feel comfortable in, just nothing trashy, please. You find the people you get along with. FOr me my motto this past year has been "Crazies attract the Crazies" basically because I find my close group of friends to be insane and I am too (not literally, but just in a carefree, fun, way insane). We're all loud and outgoing and somehow we all became friends on basically the same day.

To be honest at first I was having a pretty hard time at Barnard. I was struggling in some of my classes, I missed my friends, I was bored because I couldn't go out (it is hard if you are under 21 to get into clubs). Things at first didn't seem right, but by second semester I really and truly loved this school. It's really all about finding things out for yourself and growing from that. If you want to go out, then go it's the city there are plenty of places to go, just go exploring. Research classes. The campus, even though its small, is beautiful. However, I should mention that right now there is construction going on in the middle of campus for a new student center, which sucks, but the building is going to be amazing. Also, since I'm mentioning the new student center beware that the Vagelos family funded for it, which I am very grateful that they did, but this has now led to the new student center being referred to as "The Vag"..you can see the problem being that this is an all women's college, but hey that's the fun of it! Any questions about Barnard or if you want to visit just email me!!

Clearly these stereotypes are false. Barnard women are just as intelligent as Columbia College students and we are all under the Columbia University "umbrella". Its a silly rivalry that some Barnard women may or may not encounter.

Most classes are pretty small (max is 18), unless you're in a a big lecture class which can have up to 200 students. Studying is really important here, its not rare to find the library packed on a Saturday night. Professors usually will get your name, sometimes they're just bad with names and will slip up. Students are competitive, but I don't really feel that its competition with each other, but really with themselves. Honestly, you do have to shop for classes. In the first two years you want to balance the general requirement classes and classes that just interest you. Look up classes and really do research on your professors ( culpa.info). I've made the mistake of having a pretty miserable first semester because I just followed the "guide to your first year" and I didn't do much exploring of what I would like. I was focusing on getting my boring general requirements out of the way, didn't work out to well. Also, don't be afraid of your professors, they really are here to help you. The professors here have office hours and you can always email them; they're really accessible. Academics here are great, you just have to do research and don't just settle on a class because it fulfills a requirement, make sure it's also something you'll be interested in.

There are tons of extracurricular activities on campus. Barnard is known big time for Dance. I'm part of a dance team here called Sabor Dance Troupe. It's Columbia's first latin based dance team. There are a bunch of other dance teams like Raw Elementz, Onyx, Bhangra, Orishas (new), Dance team, Taal, etc... Most of the clubs and all the sports are under Columbia University so there is a mixture of Columbia, Barnard, and SEAS (engineering), GS (general studies), and grad students in the clubs. I'll warn you, Columbia is not that great in sports, we have an amazing fencing team, but eveything else not as great :-\ o well atleast we're super smart and will just kick ass in our jobs instead of a field or court. There's always sometihng going on, you're in the city so get out and find something to do. People leave their doors open and there are lounges and kitchens on each floor of the first year residence. Upper classmen have different setups for housing so it varies amongst them. There are fraternities and sororities, they're getting more popular. Some people party a lot, others maybe not so much. Traditions at Barnard are midnight breakfast (administration serves you breakfast and its one huge party in the gym), barnard spirit day, sexhibition, there are many more, but I can't remember/don't know them (I only just completed my freshman year).

It's an all women's college, so one can only imagine all the stereotypes that come with it. Basically, some people think that if you go to an all women's college you're a lesbian, which is fine if you are, but not all of us are, obviously. Truthfully though, most stereotypes come from Columbia College where some people poke fun at Barnard women saying that they are less intelligent because they go to Barnard and not Columbia College.

Brett

The best thing about Barnard is that whatever interest you have, you will always find means to develop that interest. If you are interested in a certain career, you can use the funding that school provides through the Office of Career Development to attend conferences or get paid for a non-paid internship. Another great thing is that if you don't have enough money to pay for your tuition, they will try to do everything to help you in terms of scholarships, grants and low interest loans. The school is just the right size, it is small enough to provide personal help and support, however, it supplies lots of resources within big campus of Columbia University. Most of my time on campus I usually spend, in libraries, of which there is plenty, beautiful college lawns in spring, campus caffe's and in nearby restaurants. Barnard's administration is really great-everyone is very helpful. The most frequent complaints are about housing-even though the dorms are very nice, you can live in a student's hall or an apartment, further or closer to campus, the administration often has trouble in placing everyone where they want to be, however, the older you get, the better chance you have of getting what you pick.

Student's Body is very diverse, there are all kinds of racial, religious, and socio-ecomomic groups, therefore, whoever you are, you will not feel left out. Students wear very different outfits, depending on what your taste is like. You can never rule out meeting somebody who is racially, religiously or socio-economically prejudiced, but in general students are very respectful of their backgrounds.

It is true that students are very smart and competitive, and they like to challenge themselves. It is not true that most students are feminists or lesbians, it is a place like any other, and being surrounded with many girls in classes does not mean you have to be a feminist-it is totally up to you.

In big lecture classes, sometimes it is hard to get the professor to remember your name, however, if you talk to them after class and attend office hours they will certainly remember you. My least favorite class was Organic Chemistry because I studies a lot for it and it was still very hard. My favorite class was Molecular Biology, the professor was very clear, fun, and straight to the point. Class participation is pretty common and intellectual conversations definitely happen outside of class, students are often invited to Faculty House or to Professor's houses to get to know each other better and deepen their class discussions. Students are very competitive, and that might be overwhelming at times, but you just have to try to do your best and be yourself. I think that Barnard's academic requirements help students to become very well rounded individuals and open new opportunities. Education at Barnard is everything you would ask for-getting ready toward finding a jop as well as intellectual development.

I am involved with a Polish club and many other belong to clubs that involve a certain nationality or race. There are also sports clubs, for example I am in a tennis club and we go up to tennis courts once a week and play. There are also all sorts of professional clubs such as Pre-Med or Pre-Law club, Business, Engineering, Architecture Associations, etc. Athletic events are pretty popular. There are always some plays, concerts and shows on campus as well as off campus, and you can even get discounted tickets for Broadway shows, etc. I met my closest friends though the Transfer Alliance as I was a transfer student and I attended their meetings in the beginning of the year. We also got closer to each other when we were taking the same classes and studying together. I also met some great people in clubs I am involved with and I am still friends with them. Some people party on the weekend, mostly Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, some people party more often, some don't party at all. If you are awake at 2 o'clock in the morning, you are probably writing a paper or studying. Each year there is a show that brings all students and they sort of make fun of happenings on campus. There is also student employment week, career fair, clubs/organizations fair.

Some of the stereotypes are that Barnard students are very ambitious and competitive and that they do nothing else but study all the time. Many people think that most of the students are feminists or lesbians since it is an all girls school.

Jacqueline

barnard is full of amazing women who get over the unfortunate fact that their school is not widely known and never gets the credit it deserves, but revel in the great opportunities barnard, columbia, and new york city are able to provide for them, anyway.

workaholics. but party-aholics, too. the range is huge. the secret is balance.

i could not go to school any where else.

not totally. yeah, there are lesbians. yeah, there are ditzy, dumb, and materialistic girls. but who doesn't have them? people who want to find them in our school, in order to prove a point, will. i just hate when people think we all applied to columbia and got rejected. i most certainly didn't apply there.

nothing a girl who got in couldn't handle. great professors, but also great resources available if you're intimidated. nine ways of knowing kinda sucks, but it also gives us a chance to figure out what the hell we want to do with the rest of our lives.

i mean, hello? we're in one of the best cities in the world. there is something going on every night which often makes it hard to study since the urge to venture out and discover what unforgettable things are just a couple subway stops away is always there. however, it's easy to separate yourself and drown in the academic bubble. there were 5-6 day stretches that i hadn't been on the subway since i was too busy with school work. one big tip: get a fake id. i view it as a pass that allows you to get anywhere in the city. bars, clubs, and some concert halls are off limits unless you have one...& even if it looks pricey, make sure it scans.

lesbians didn't get into columbia, barnard is the "next best thing" what's barnard? ditzy, dumb, and materialistic girls

lucy

liberal, eclectic, prestigious, access to many exciting events and experiences, open-minded

would appreciate more activism and work from the student body

some classes are more rewarding and stimulating than others

Ruthie

The best thing about Barnard is choice. You get to choose how you want your experience to be. Barnard is a small liberal arts college within a larger universtiy which is then within New York City. So, if you want your experience to be small and communal it can be. Barnard's dedication to creating a sense of community on campus is unbeatable at any school I've seen. But, if you want to feel like you're at a bigger school you can spend more time at Columbia. In regards to the city, you can stay on campus or go out and explore. I personally think it would be a waste to come to school in the city and not use it to your advantage, but you have that choice. New York City is the most incredible place to go to college. There is so much culture and thanks to our student IDs a lot of it is free or heavily discounted. You can have fun in the city doing nothing. My friend and I once had the best night walking around times square for 3 hours. As for administration, the deans work hard to be available as much as possible. That's the beauty of a small school. You can really get to know your dean if you want. They have appointments all the time, but it is often difficult to snag a time that fits your schedule, especially during the first two weeks of every semester - program planning season. Administration is very hands-on at Barnard. There is a lot of school pride rather than school spirit so to speak. Women are proud to be Barnard students, but the bleachers are pretty empty at football games. My biggest complaint is in regards to registering for classes. There are 97 different ways to sign up for a class and different classes require different things. Some have a simple online sign up. Some are limited enrollment so you can be shut out. Some require instructor permission. Some require applications. Any number of them require combinations of these requirements. It can be confusing until you learn to double check everything. Also, Barnard advertises small class size. Seminars and language classes are always small. However, I've found - and maybe it's because I'm pre-med and I am stuck in science classes - that too many of my classes are big lectures. I still have to wait until my upperclassmen days to take specialized classes that will inherently be smaller. The best night of the semester by far is midnight breakfast. The themes get better as the years go on. The event just oozes with Barnard pride - and half of Columbia crashes. Who can refuse free food at midnight?

The student body is extremely diverse in religion, ethnicity, geographical background and educational background. Barnard works hard to create an environment of acceptance. I don't think anyone would feel out of place at Barnard. It is more likely that someone would feel out of place in New York City. Some people show up in sweats every day. Some wear the typical leggings with boots and a skirt or sweater. Some people get dressed up for class every day. There is no expected dress code. Different types of students interact in classes and in the dorms. I think it really depends on your extracurriculars. If you choose to be part of an ethnic or religious group that is congruent with your own religion/ethnicity you will be surrounded by people who are the same as you. If you choose to branch out, there is plenty of opportunity for that. Four tables in the dining hall... breakfast: a table of swimmers who come over after morning practice; a table of girls frantic over their 9 am exam. Well, the dining hall is pretty empty in the morning. The campus is HUGELY politically active. I myself am not a politically oriented person. Had I known about the overwhelming political involvement, it probably would have been on the 'con' side of the list. BUT, now that I'm here, I have learned so much and I am a more educated and cultured person for it. There is a way to be politically aware without being overtly active. Columbia is LIBERAL.

Don't be afraid of the all girls thing. I used to hate girls. But, I've learned that it can be really valuable to have a few close girl friends. The rest of the time, I'm always with the boys from Columbia.

1) There is definitely a constant aura of Barnard pride. BUT, by no means do I think that Barnard are the crazy protesting feminists we are often depicted as. I, myself - and tons of my friends - did not apply to Barnard because it is a women's college. Barnard does not pressure you to fight for women's rights, or anything; Barnard wants you to embrace your identity, whatever that may be. 2) I grew up being best friends with all the boys. I vowed I would never apply to an all girls' school. Yet, here I am and I LOVE IT! There are plenty of boys in classes, in extracurriculars, wandering around campus, out in the nightlife scene, eating in our dining hall, and crashing our awesome Barnard events. It took me a little while to find them. That's the difference between a girls' school with boys across the street and a co-ed school. It takes a little more time and a bit more effort, but it's not as difficult as it may sound. 3) The beautiful thing about Barnard is that there is no archetypal "Barnard girl." I think we all love to learn and we are all intelligent women. Beyond that, there are so many different types of people here that there is a place for everyone. 4) Although Barnard students enjoy the benefits that Columbia University provides, Barnard is not a "loophole." It is a fantastic, challenging liberal arts college that is one of the four undergraduate colleges of Columbia University. Barnard students worked just as hard to get into Barnard as Columbia students did to get into Columbia and both student bodies continue to work hard. 5) Like every other university, class difficulty varies. There are easier classes and harder classes at both schools. It also depends on professors and departments. It is unfair to say that one school is easier than the other. It's just not true. 6) When I first got to Barnard, I did sense a bit of tension. But really, tension is created. I had been expecting it. It's not just there waiting for you; you have to put effort into making tension. So, I've found if you don't want tension or competition it won't be there. The tension between girls is the best joke at Columbia.

No matter how big your class is, the majority of professors want to know you - especially by name. Obviously if the class is larger it will take more effort on your part, but professors are interested and eager to know you. Class participation is common. Barnard students have a lot to say. It is not a place where people skip a ton of class. My favorite class...either Literature of the Harlem Renaissance or Reacting to the Past. Harlem Lit was SO interesting. My professor made the reading so accessible. It was much more than just a lit class. It was an experience in learning all about the time period: the history, the people, the role of New York City, the music etc. We even got to take a tour of Harlem. In Reacting to the Past, we learned history by doing. Class participation is a huge portion of the class, since we are creating our own version of history while learning about it. Students study a lot. Definitely daily. I work probably five hours a day outside of class. Of course, there are days I will do less and make up for it on other days. Your workload can be as large or small as you want it to be. Try to balance your semesters. Don't take five hard classes at once. I did that one semester and ended up working nonstop. College is about more than the academics - although they are important. College is about learning about yourself and growing. I think Barnard is the most nurturing and interesting environment to do that. The Psychology department is very large. There are a ton of Psychology majors. My advisor is fantastic. She really knows what she is talking about and gives great advice in all of my academic choices, not just the ones pertaining to my major. She also has taken a very quick and genuine interest in my life as a whole. The Psych department offers a wide variety of courses and labs and there is plenty of opportunity for research. While the classes are interesting and I have actually enjoyed all of the professors I've had, the classes are large, about 50-70 people, many of these being required courses. I often meet with professors outside of class, although this is a personal choice. Depending on the professor, they may be available anywhere from 2 hours to 10 hours a week. Barnards gen ed requirements, the nine ways of knowing, are great. They ensure that you get a little taste of everything, but that you have choice in these disciplines. Barnard definitely encourages learning for the sake of learning. You will not find course offerings like those of Barnard at any other school. The courses are unique and often interdisciplinary. I loved my class: Applied Anatomy of Human Movement. It merged the study of anatomy and dance. You couldn't find a class like this anywhere else. Barnard also works hard to take advantage of the city. We use the city as a classroom, visiting the Museum of Natural History for Biology and the Spanish Repertory Theater for Spanish Theatre.

The Spec (the Columbia newspaper) is a HUGE deal. People who work for the spec are extremely intense. The paper is taken very seriously, but we produce a professional daily paper. It's very impressive. Orchesis is the biggest dance group on campus. We put on a show each semester. The show is completely student-run, student-choreographed and obviously student-danced. The show ranges in variety of styles, although more often than not the range is limited to a lot of modern and lyrical. You audition each semester and the commitment can be as large or small as you want, depending on how many pieces you are in. Casting can often be political, but once you edge your way in it is a fantastic experience. The a capella scene is very competitive, but rightfully so. Athletic events are not a big deal. Everyone goes to homecoming in the Fall and Midnight Madness. But really, you are much more likely to have a big turnout at the latest CU Bhangra show or musical production than at a game. Guest speakers, especially when they are high profile, are well-received and frequently on campus. The dating scene is fantastic. There is SO much to do in New York that there are so many different venues to meet people, or to go out with people you meet at school. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday I'm studying. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Thursday I'm either at the bars or a party. People usually party Thursday-Saturday nights. At least that's when the party scene is most active. There are people who go out on weeknights, but I don't know many of them. Barnard is by no means a party school. We have our fun, but when we do, we go all out in a few nights rather than dragging it along a whole week of same old same old. Fraternities and sororities are not that big a deal. We live in the city!! There is so much to do besides that. Of course, if you want that it is there for the taking, but it is my no means necessary in order to have a social life. I LOVE going to shows. Student rush is the most amazing thing ever! I get to go to Broadway for 25 bucks. It's an awesome evening out and barely costs me. I go off campus a lot. Sometimes I babysit or bartend. I go to Bikram yoga on 72nd street at least once a week. I go to shows whenever I can. I love to visit museums or go running in the park. And when I'm feeling adventurous, I journey down to the village.

1) All Barnard girls are "yay-rah-rah women!" 2) There are no boys around because it is a women's college. 3) You can spot a girl from a mile away. 4) Barnard is the loophole into Columbia. 5) Barnard classes are easier than Columbia classes. 6) Columbia girls hate Barnard girls and vice versa.

I have never once thought twice about my decision to come to Barnard. The small classes allow you to make more personal connections with both the professors and the students. Sometimes it may be annoying to have to meet with your adviser at least 4 times a year, but I much prefer that than being at a school where you never once see your adviser.

Like all stereotypes, they never describe everyone at Barnard. I have found that in general, Barnard women are much more helpful than bitchy and more motivated to do well in their classes than they are boy-crazy. As for the people that say that Barnard is the back-door to Columbia, they do not realize that there are many reasons why one would choose Barnard over Columbia. It is not that one is better than the other, but that one may fit a person's specific needs better. The Nine Ways of Knowing are more flexible than the core, the class sizes are generally smaller, and the entire environment of the college is smaller and more personal. Some people prefer Columbia, but as for me, I chose Barnard for Barnard, not to tell people that I go to Columbia.

Most classes (especially after your first year or so) are small enough that the Professor will know your name. I have found (with few exceptions) that the professors are open and willing to meet with you during office hours and other times to help you understand the material if needed. I am a neuroscience major and really enjoy my science courses. Most of the students are pre-med (not me), and so the classes can be competitive, but I have found that more often I bond with my classmates, especially in the difficult classes, and we all try to help each other out. I have never found it difficult to get notes on a day I miss or get some help on a problem set if I can't make it to office hours. In fact, I have had a fellow-student simply notice I did not make it to a lecture and then email me her notes without me even asking. As you go through your major at Barnard, being a small college, you are more likely to see similar people in your classes semester after semester, which can make group projects and even just studying for an exam much ore enjoyable.

I love the little activities Barnard has for the students throughout the year: midnight breakfast before finals, Barnard spirit day barbecue, and other study breaks and little activities. I am not much of a partier, but being in the city, many parties, even cast parties, are forced to be in bars because there is not much room on campus for that kind of thing. This is frustrating because it forces you to either get a fake ID or be left out of a big part of the social scene. I have found friends that do not want to always go our to bars at night so we hang out in the dorms or find other things to do, but living in the city can be frustrating when your under 21 sometimes.

There are many stereotypes you may hear (or more likely read about on blogs of various kinds): "Barnard is the back-door to Columbia" or that Barnard women are either slutty or bitchy.

Leslie

Barnard is really caring and community oriented. The administration tries to be open, transparent, and available to the student body. Right now we are transitioning to welcome our new president, which may change how the administration operates. I feel that sometimes this community feeling is undermined by the diversity programs at both Barnard and Columbia that seem to split people up into religious, ethnic, and racial groups rather than make people feel like they are forming one group with many different traits. A lot of people don't really know what or where Barnard is. Some people recognize that it is affiliated with Columbia University, but many of those who do don't know that it's right across the street. I definitely feel like Barnard has a campus, and you are either on or off it. The Barnard campus feeling for me is so strong that being on Columbia's campus warrants a distinction despite the close proximity; I am at Columbia, not on campus.

I'm not sure that there is a type of student that would feel out of place at Barnard. From what I have observed, there are many different types of girls at Barnard, allowing everyone to find their place to feel comfortable. Most students seem to be middle or upper middle class, but there are also a lot of students who receive financial aid and participate in work study programs or work on their own, making it difficult for me to judge what backgrounds many of my fellow students are actually from. I would say that most of the population is at least politically informed, and generally speaking the campus is left.

I've loved the 3 years I've spent so far at Barnard, and I'm looking forward to another great year as a senior. Even though Barnard isn't perfect, for me the good has definitely outweighed the bad. Given the choice, I would choose Barnard again.

I would say in my experience they haven't been true. There are some Barnard girls that I've met who are much smarter than some of the Columbia students I've had classes with. The reverse has also been true. In my experience Barnard has a wide range of girls who represent almost all the different types of girls you would meet.

Most of my classes at Barnard have been really good. I haven't liked all of them, but not necessarily because they haven't been good classes. The majority of my professors have encouraged a lot of student participation and questions, especially when there are break out discussion sections in addition to lecture. I have found the most competitive students to be pretty concentrated in the science courses, primarily because most of them are on the pre-med track. At least in the science classes is where the competition has been the most noticeable. My department, the religion department, is very small. I have gotten to know almost all of the professors, as well as the other majors. I feel like the department is very caring and nurturing, but not in an over brearing way. If you do not approach them for help or make an effort to get to know them the professors are not going to seek you out. I feel that there is a very nice atmosphere, and that it will be most visible during our two semester senior thesis writing seminar. Among my friends, our conversations range from what was just on America's Next Top Model to a theory that was recently proposed in a class to local event and articles in the Columbia daily newspaper.

There is a lot of parting at Barnard, but you don't have to participate in it if you don't want to. Most parties take place at bars or Columbia dorms as opposed to Barnard dorms. Occasionally there will be a really big loud party, but that's not normally what has happened in my experience. If you don't want to be drinking on any given weekend night, available activities range from movies to theater to opera to guest speakers or other club hosted events, some of which may be parties, other that may be discussions or performances to just wandering around the city with friends. Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge when the weather is nice is a popular night time activity. There are endless possibilities because we are in New York City. The fraternity and sorority scene is there, but not in any way the center or focus of social activities. From what I've seen so far, a lot of the girls who joined sororities early in their college careers have isolated themselves from other social groups. I met most of my closest friends during orientation of shortly thereafter. My best friend is my assigned roommate from freshman year.

Stereotypes about Barnard students are that they aren't as smart as Columbia students and that the girls who attend are either all lesbians or all really slutty.

Devin

The best thing at Barnard would be the size of the school, not just in mass but also in faculty. Barnard has a really comfortable campus and the faculty there takes the time to get to talk to and know the students. If I could change one thing about Barnard, it would be the tension between Barnard and Columbia students. I remember that as incoming freshmans once, during the Blaze where Barnard and Columbia students were to come together and have fun, had a Columbia girl stop talking to us because she found out that we were from Barnard. It is this type of tension that I talk about and wish it didn't exist, but it does. Even in my sophomore year at Barnard, this tension still exist. I used to spend most of my time in Macintosh before it was torn down. There, students could hangout and listen to live performances as they ate, sit and chat with friends, and watch movies on a projector screen. Now, I don't really hangout anywhere except for my room, where most of my friends come and hangout with me. The biggest recent controversy I heard was about a girl who wanted to have a sex change operation. And with Barnard being an all girls school, well you could see how that wouldn't have worked out. I have lots of school pride and quite often I find myself defending it when it is attacked by Columbia professors and students who didn't know that I was a student who went to Barnard out of the many Columbia students in the pack. It's a tough world out there for some Barnard students.

I haven't encountered any racial or religious problems. And most students wear what I like to call the "Barnard Wear". This is the common style of most Barnard students. It is a very comfortable wear that includes tights, ballet flats, and baby doll shirts.

I like Barnard and I couldn't think of any other place that would of made me happier.

Some people at Barnard are indeed homosexual and some others are rejects. However, this doesn't represent the whole lot of the students that go there. So to say this stereotype is accurate would be utterly preposterous.

Of course professors know my name, it's a small school. Where else can you hear the echoes of your name 10 miles away in another class? Barnard studnet do have intellectual conversations outside of class. And, at times, I find it funny because I do the same thing. Barnard classes and subjects surrounds our life and thought.

Barnard students, especially the freshmans, party alot.

That all Barnard students are rejects or were rejected from Columbia and went to Barnard. Another is that all Barnard students are homosexual.

Anais

columbia with a diffent feel. barnard almost feels as a sorority. it's an amazing combination of a large school and small school setting. most people don't really know about barnard so when you tell them you go there most won't know, at least from my home. in new york, people regard you with much respect because they know barnard is a great school. i'm not sure what the reactions are from people around the US if they're not from the east coast. it's amazing to have a campus but at the same time have the freedom to explore manhattan. it's very well balanced in that way.

a barnard girl is independent, self-sufficient and driven. Most are from New York and the tri-state area, or california. There are few international students, and it would be nice if this number were raised. They are usually from a very high socio-economic class, which can be intimidating if you are not. But they are not a snobby group at all. Barnard girls can be intimidating in the classroom, as they may be aggressive in seminars.

not at all, every barnard student made a choice to go to this college for its individual value, which includes being affiliated with columbia university, but barnard is a different college of its own

at barnard you will probably end up taking half your classes at barnard and half at columbia, although you can lean any way you choose to. classes at barnard are a great experience. professors are very passionate and communicative. professors usually know your name, except in some large lectures. classes are hard and grades will not be given away, but they are also not impossible. i have enjoyed my classes at barnard mostly more than my classes at columbia.

People in sororities are few. There are a good amount of campus activities like plays and student organization parties and events, but mostly the social life at Barnard is Manhattan. Barnard is very academic as is Columbia, so I find that the social life is lacking. If you want a social life, you have to find it outside the college or work hard to establish one on campus.

that they are girls that couldn't get into columbia

Barnard College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.