New York, NY
Barnard College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Barnard College

Kristina

I love Barnard. It's the only school where you have the advantages of a small college (amazing advising system, more approachable administration) plus the advantages of large ivy-league university (tons of great classes and famous professors, high-profile speakers like Ahmadinejad and Natalie Portman) AND! a campus but also the city at your fingertips. It's an amazing combination! Sometimes when I tell people I go to Barnard they're like "Oh...how do you like it being around all girls?" but I don't really feel like I go to a women's college. While the freshman dorms are single-sex, all my classes and extracurriculars have guys in them and I have several guy friends from Columbia. Your experience can be more or less "Barnard" or "women's college" depending on your own decisions and wants.

Barnard's student body is not terribly diverse. In fact, Barnard was rated as the third most Jewish college in the U.S. after Yeshiva and Brandeis...so as you can imagine, there are a lot of white, Jewish, liberal, middle-class girls running around. However, since I spent a lot of time on the Columbia campus and in the city in general, this lack of diversity doesn't really bother me and I interact with all different sorts of people. There is definitely a style at Barnard - students tend to look nice and fairly sophisticated compared to students at other colleges, probably because we are in the city...but you can still get away with sweatpants and a t-shirt. Overall, people are pretty friendly and it's easy to make new friends.

It's hard to say how accurate the second stereotype is - I'd say it's possible that, like many stereotypes, there is some basis of truth - i.e., the average Barnard girl goes out more and might care more about her appearance. But this doesn't hold true for everyone, or even most students, and everyone with any intelligence knows that!

I was really lucky this year. I loved all my classes and professors (except for one crazy French professor...what are you going to do). Most of my classes were pretty small, and the profs knew everyone's name and were extremely approachable. I took one class that had 200+ people in it, which was a little scary at first - but on the first day, the prof gave us his home number and told us to call him anytime. He was an amazing lecturer and it ended up being my favorite course. Students do study a lot. Though there's some grade inflation, academics at Barnard and Columbia tend to be difficult and by and large, students take their studies seriously. That said, we still know how to have fun.

You're in New York City - the sky's the limit!

Not everyone knows what Barnard is - but those who do are usually impressed, and view Barnard students as intelligent, sophisticated, and maybe a little bit arty. This is pretty accurate! Within the Columbia community, though, the stereotypes are different. Barnard students are stereotyped as more attractive, more outgoing, and less intelligent than Columbia college girls. The first two can be portrayed as positive or negative traits, depending on who's doing the talking. That said, Barnard students are very accepted as part of the Columbia community in general.

Claire

Very good education but lacking in community. There is little connection between the students and it can be very isolating. Extremely heavy work loads but the classes are normally very good. Its great living in NYC but very expensive to do anything.

diverse, everyone is doing what they are interested in and are not worried about judgement from their peers but this can seem like they are too driven and don't ever leave the library. THere are about a million jewish girls at Barnard which can be overwhelming if you are not Jewish. People are friendly but it is hard to meet people because everyone is so busy and there is little community at the college

Very good classes, I love my major (American Studies) and all of the classes that i have taken in that area have been great.

There is no social life at Barnard aside from clubs. If you are not involved with them then there is nothing. On the weekends people go downtown to clubs and bars in small groups.

smart, driven, grade focused, self-centered, neurotic, trendy, rich, jewish

Alex

The best thing about Barnard is the advising system and the sense of community that you feel on campus.

Barnard has a very diverse student body

All my professors know my name and I find it very easy to approach them to discuss class.

I am co-captain of the Columbia University Equestrian club. The Equestrian club is like a family and we have a lot of fun together.

Dylan

-Best thing about Barnard: an intimate community, integrated with NYC (can be as anonymous as you would like by wandering away from Morningside Heights and into the city) -Worst thing: Combine Barnard and Columbia housing...while Barnard girls can live with Columbia, would be a more unified community if everyone was living together from day 1 (if necessary, have an all-girls Barnard option) -many racial controversies over the past year -Barnard is very unusual- in a good way. It is impossible to explain and can only be understood if you are a Barnard student. My love for Barnard has grown immensely as the years have gone by. While Freshman year was difficult, I am going to be a senior at Barnard and could not be freaking out more about graduating. Barnard forces you to become an individual and to just be completely comfortable in your own skin.

Barnard is very diverse- no one would feel out of place. Dress code caries- some students dress up to class, others wear sweatpants. I would say that students at Barnard dress up more for class than students from non-city schools. Most Barnard students are from NY, NJ, CT, MA, CA. Overall, not pretentious or money-obsessed. If anything, the complete opposite.

*Not at all. Barnard takes the best aspects of Columbia and combines it with its own to offer its students the best of both worlds. Barnard students get to take Columbia classes, live in Columbia dorms (however, only if your suite is at least 50% Columbia students), use Columbia libraries and facilities, and have Columbia on our diploma. We don't however, have the horrible Columbia core curriculum and instead can pick our own schedules and take only classes we want to take, while satisfying Barnard's easy-to-fill distributional requirements (called 9 ways of knowing). *There are as many lesbians at Barnard as i have seen at other schools. In NYC, or a big city in general, people are going to be more comfortable with who they are and perhaps at Barnard, people are a bit more open. Nothing extreme or unusual.

Professor almost always know your name. Classes at Barnard tend to be smaller and more intimate than classes at Columbia (which can run up to 250 people). My favorite class was Intermediate Macroeconomics with Xavier Sala-i-Martin (taught at Columbia) or Money and Banking with PErry Mehrlin (at Barnard). Also, I have loved my Italian classes (with Paola Nastri and Seth Fabian). Severin Fowles is a great professor- he taught Origins of Human Society which fulfilled my cultures of comparison requirement. My least favorite classes were Econometrics (Dennis Kristensen- do not take it if avoidable- difficult and you learn absolutely nothing) and Intermediate Microeconomics (Rama Vasudevan- spelling?- easy but boring and you learn nothing). I am an economics major. To be honest, I think Columbia offers better economics classes and has a better econ department in general, but I have enjoyed most of my econ classes as a whole. One of my favorites, actually, was Economics of Education with Randall Reback. He was a great teacher who cared a lot about his students. Barnard's requirements are wonderful. With the 9 ways of knowing you can basically take anything. Over the course of 4 years, you must take a history class (I took American Civilization since the Civil War), a lit class (Harlem Renaissance literature), cultures of comparison (Origins of Human Society), quantitative reasoning class (basically all my econ classes fulfilled this, but Calc 1 worked), 2 semester science and 2 semester lab (i took astronomy), 4 semester language (italian), visual arts (i took women and film), frosh year seminar, frosh year literature (i took women and culture)...preetty sure that is all, but pretty much you will fulfill these requirements without even trying. Oh, and your major requirements and distributional ones can overlap! Academically, Barnard is wonderful.

-students in dorms do leave their dorms open. -athletic events not too popular since the teams aren't too good. -people party as much as they want. Living in NYC, you can always find something to do, yet students are very studious and Butler (the columbia library) can be a popular hang out spot- that is what you are going to get at an IVY League school. -many of the bars around campus closed down, but NYC is our campus and you can go anywhere easily, any night of the week, any time.

*Not really part of Columbia University *Lesbians

veronica

as overall steryotypes these are defiantly not true at all, although they do apply to certain individuals but that can happen anywhere

Feminists, Lesbians, promiscuois, desperate, not smart enough to get into columbia, artsy,

I get different reactions when I tell people I go to Barnard. Some respond with, "where's that?" and others know right away where and what it is. Most professionals in academia know of Barnard and I believe it has a good reputation for turning out strong women leaders, however there are some people who look down upon it. It's frustrating to go here sometimes because if I'm abroad I have to say I go to Barnard and it's affiliated with Columbia University, otherwise people won't have a clue what I'm talking about. Because Columbia has the Earth Institute, Lamont-Doherty and the new Climate Center, you'd think Barnard and Columbia would be way ahead of other campuses in "going green." While they are making an effort, Barnard certainly has a long way to go.

The entire campus is very very liberal, as are most of the faculty. Oftentimes I wish there were opposing views just to spice up the conversation. The campus is pretty diverse in terms of race, however for the most part economic status is pretty universal. Many Barnard students are from very wealthy families and are extremely privileged.

Some people see Barnard as the easy way to get into Columbia, but I think many people choose Barnard for other reasons. It's nice to have the large university, but I don't think that all Barnard students consciously choose to apply because they want people to think that they go to Columbia.

Academics is taken very seriously at Barnard and everyone is constantly studying. Of course we all explore the city every so often, but less than one would imagine due to the vast amounts of work we receive. I feel lucky to go here because of some of the really neat courses offered. For example, I took an exhibit design class at the American Museum of Natural History this past semester! Where else but New York?

There are a lot of activities on campus, although no one really attends major campus student events (sadly). I think because it is in such a big city, everyone goes downtown to a comedy club or to see a broadway show. Campus life is very scattered. There are always guest speakers for the Earth Institute and there is always one luncheon after another. Traditions have been somewhat stomped upon by administration over the years, but there was 40s on 40 on Low steps for the seniors (40 days before graduation), there is Orgo Night (the marching band disrupts studying in the library the day before the organic chemistry final) and Midnight Breakfast. Majority of activities and all of the social life is over at Columbia, perhaps because Barnard housing is in apartment buildings with actual tenants. If you're not a person to go out to bars, there are some parties on campus but a small amount in comparison to other schools.

Oftentimes people will say that Barnard is like the back door to getting into Columbia.

Avigail

The best part about Barnard is that we are a small liberal arts college with our own beautiful campus, yet we have all the resources and offerings that Columbia University provides. And who can forget New York City, and all the internship/job opportunities? About being an all-women's college: for those wanting to be in New York, at a school with a campus, and who aren't interested in Columbia's Core, do not be deterred by the "absence" of men. Barnard students are very well integrated into the student body at Columbia's 3 other undergraduate colleges, and few students have trouble finding male friends. Boyfriends can be more difficult, as the ratio is not in girls' favor, but New York is filled with men. Whether or not you choose Barnard for being all-women, something must be said for the value of a women's college. Students approach the community in a variety of ways, and everyone benefits from the experience differently. To some, it provides comfort and convenience, as services such as counseling, health services, and college activities are specialized and cater exclusively to 18 - 22 year old females. Others find it empowering to be surrounded by intelligent, articulate women. Some students learn, finally, how to trust women, or realize they can be both an athlete and a nerd. Some forget entirely that they go to an all-girls school. It's what you make of it.

Barnard has a huge Jewish community. Barnard women can self-segregate at times. Predominatly affluent. Politically liberal.

They exist, but I find the average Barnard woman to be an academically competitive type-A student with a passion and dedication for whatever cause they've embraced.

While most Barnard women take half their classes every semester at Columbia, the general consensus is that Barnard's faculty focus more on teaching and less on their research. This means fewer "superstar" professors, like Jeff Sacks or Alan Brinkley at Columbia, but our faculty are more accessible. Many students develop close relationships with professors. Barnard women are very competitive, less against each other and more against themselves. It can be a problem. Too many girls don't get enough sleep, and have real issues about getting "bad" grades.

Rich, stuck up girly-girls, or self-righteous feminist activists.

Ryan

People do not know what Barnard is. Explaining that it is an entity of Columbia University is tiring. I spent most of my time in my room or the lounges. Lounges NEED an upgrade!!!!!! NO OLD and SLEEPY security guards PLEASE

I wish there was more racial diversity and more integration between students. The Jewish community is very isolated. I would mind having some Jewish friends. A student that comes from a low income household would definetly feel out of place. Students go to class as if there going to step onto a runway. IT'S JUST CLASS. "Different types of students" usually do not interact.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I LOVE MY SCHOOL BUT THESE FLAWS ARE INEVITABLE

yes and no, Not all of us. Yes, we are nicer.

I don't see the need of having the english requirement-> USELESS Professors usually know my name which is nice. Students study a good amount. Not much competition. Urban studies is very interesting! Education at Barnard is not geared toward getting a job which is a bit of an issue. The academic requirements are nonsense.

SGA thinks they are the shit. People leave there doors open after being warned not to. Athletic events are not popular. Columbia guys will not pay attention to minority students at Barnard, only "white" girls. I luckily met my close friends through my roommate. If awake at 2am, I will be studying in a lounge while checking Facebook or Myspace. ALL the Jewish events are a huge deal. SPIRIT DAY is GREAT!!! People party often, but w/o a fake a ID it's pretty bad. Columbia Parties are a 4 out of 10. Last weekend hmm Party at a wack party Sat. night can be laundry night plus studyin plus a visitor. Off campus I shop and go to visit my sister. I also look for entertainment since campus doesnt provide much.

Barnard women are always horny Barnard women are nicer than Columbia girls.

Louise

Barnard is an awesome school because of the students. Maybe I just went to a particularly mean school, but everyone here is so nice! Academics take a priority, but most students take advantage of NYC and have fun whenever they can. I always see familiar faces, but the school isn't too small because I definitely have never met half of the student body. Broadway, uptown by school, is our version of a "college town." If you're looking for a school that prides itself on camaraderie and a "ra-ra-ra" spirit, it's not the place for you. It is the place for anyone who enjoys city life, independence, and a warm student body. When I tell people that I go to Barnard, I have such a sense of pride. Most react positively ("How impressive!") but a few people still haven't heard about the school (I wouldn't want to associate with those kind of people anyway!).

There is definitely a strong LGBT community on campus, and a large Jewish population. Most students are white and middle-class. Most students are liberal and politically aware. But all kinds of people are represented on campus. People wear really trendy clothes to class or jeans; there's definitely a mix. Most students are from the Northeast (New York, New Jersey, Mass), and there are also many students from California. I think most people would be able to find a niche here.

There is some bs and arcane housing procedures and administrative processes. Living in Manhattan, space is limited and Barnard is just starting to create more housing for the larger class bodies. The administrative crap could be found at any school. No school is the perfect place for anyone and the only girls who I have known to transfer were looking for a school with more pride and spirit that is usually found at suburban and rural schools. I can't think of going to any other school other than Barnard and all of my friends are obsessed with it!

I've only met a few individuals who have actually said that thought they couldn't get into Columbia so they applied to Barnard. The rest of the stereotypes are no more true here than any other school.

Depending on the class, professors will know your name (usually once you enter more advanced classes as juniors and seniors). Students seem to be studying a lot, but around midterms and finals time, naturally, the most. Most students are competitive, but usually not in a cut-throat way. One can schedule their classes so work takes a back seat to partying, or one can punish themselves with an impossible workload. Professors want you to do well. Class participation is very common. The academic requirements are easy to fulfill. I'd say the education at Barnard is geared for learning for it's own sake and not for getting a job (unless you want to become a teacher and do the education program). Many unique classes are offered, and one can always take advantage of the classes offered at Columbia.

The dating scene...well, I thought, as a straight girl, coming to an all-girls school wouldn't matter in terms of dating because of Columbia across the street. I was wrong, as were most of my friends. Few girls find their boyfriends across the street, and I know many girls who never dated anyone from Columbia. However, some people do date a lot. It just seems like there is slim pickings, especially because of the male:female ratio. There are always student events going on, and some are really popular, and others have an empty audience. Groups and clubs are not for everyone, but for those who want to join, options abound. There is no Greek like, and Barnard feels like one big sorority anyway. If one really wants to join a frat/sorority, there are a few options, but it's not necessary to make friends or have fun. I usually go to local bars on the weekends, but going downtown is always fun and a more exciting option. Campus parties happen, but are usually broken up. If you don't want to drink, you can go anywhere in the city, like the movies or restaurants, or even a play. Or you can just hang out with friends.

That we chose BC because we couldn't get into Columbia, that we're all a bunch of crazy feminazis, that we are all gay, and/or that we're whores.

Katie

Barnard is for girls who are a) good at making guy friends outside of their everyday life (because trust me you probably wont make to many accidentally) or girls who don't need guy friends. b) for girls who are willing to go out and make their own plans because even though there are campus events all the time, you have to be willing to really put your self out there. c) girls who really love New York and want to take advantage of all its exciting life. d) gilw who do not need the full "college experience" aka constant dorm and greek parties that everyone you know will be at-those don't exist here. Most parties are smaller and more intimate and tons of people just go off campus every weekend and explore New York.

As is a lot of New York there is a very large Jewish population at Columbia University and Barnard College. I am always surprised how many extremely religiously devote people I meet here. I think this is because at Barnard you can really do your own thing. If you need to practice religious holidays no one will judge you. If you want to go out and party every night no one will judge you for that either. I'm not saying everyone gets along here, but in general people can do their own thing if they need to/want to without any criticism. And there are groups for everyone.

Do not come to Barnard if will be unhappy if you don't get social events on weekends handed to you on a silver platter. There are TONS of things to do every second in NYC, you just have to get out and do them. I think going to an all girls school is a bummer, because I am used to having lots of guy friends. But if you really work hard to make guy friends at Columbia you will probably be okay.

Almost all of these stereotypes are false. Barnard girls are a incredibly diverse group of girls. At Barnard anyone can find a huge diverse group of friends. The number of international students at Barnard (and Columbia University in general) I think is incredible, which makes for an interesting campus dynamic. Everyone at Barnard is very accepting and it is incredible how hard working and determined some of the girls here are. Many do incredible internship, service work, or are just really fun people. Even though most girls are inevitable bookworms because they are taking very challenging courses, they are usually pretty in tuned in to the world especially cause they are living in New York. Because New York is so exciting most girls make time to get off campus. On the other hand there are lots of girls who are just in the city to play hard and party hard, but there are actually less of those types than I thought there would be (and I believe every school needs some party people anyways). The only issue that I have experienced affiliated with the bitchy girl stereotype is that in a class with 200 Pre-Med girls things can get awfully tense and competitive. I personally do not like the all girls atmosphere, but have decided to stick it out because everything else at Barnard for me is perfect. You have to be able to handle a lot of estrogen tho because for a lot of girls its really hard to make guy friends.

Academics at Barnard are what you make them. I thought I would hate the "9 ways of knowing" core curriculum, but I have actually found I have loved my classes I chose to pick random requirements are the most interesting. I am Pre-Med at the moment which has been really hard, but for most people like me who science doesn't come naturally Pre-Med will be really hard everywhere. I don't like the the Introductory Pre-Med course are huge. I really like the dance department. It might seem unorganized or insanely just straight up odd sometimes, but if you really want to dance and really allow yourself to get into your different teachers' techniques you can really learn a lot. The dance department will give to you as much as you give to it. Its really what you make of it. The student run shows like Orchesis, and CoLAB are fantastic.

There are an amazing amount of great lecturers that come to Barnard. I would say every week there is at least some amazing lecture that I go to or wish I could have gone to. Party wise, Barnard is not a place that really accommodates partying. It doesn't condone it but it doesn't really nurture it. As a freshmen the drinking rules like in most New York dorms are strict and they will check your dorm once a semester for alcohol. The RA's will write you up if you are caught drinking in your room or smoking. When you move out of "the quad" after your freshmen year though to more apartment like housing you are free to do as you please pretty much. You can always go to a club (which requires a fake ID- which can be annoying). The bars around the area are somewhat lax about fake ID's. Columbia always has parties going on- but you have to just get out and get to know people. There is greek life at columbia which is definitely NOT the main party scene on campus, but its fun if that is what you are into.

There are a lot of stereotypes about Barnard especially because it is an all girls school but only a few are true. people say we are total feminists, some say were Clumbia's sluts, others bookworms, some people think were all lesbians (not saying it would be bad if we were), oand some people think Barnard girls are very competitive and bitchy.

Barnard College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.