New York, NY
Barnard College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Barnard College

Pauline

I've met some of the most interesting and smart people ever at barnard. I know i've definitly met friends that i will still know in 50 years. The girls are (mostly) awesome, some can be anal and stuck up, but you can avoid those ones. In general, the atmosphere is simply amazing. I really really love barnard. And Columbia is just across the street. Both campuses are AMAZING.

If you pick your friends well, you should have no problems. I haven't had any.

Yes, partially. Boys across the street.

Yes, professors know my name. And i've only had one bad professor. I've learned so much and evolved in more than one ways because of my classes. Culpa helps.

It can sometimes be hard to get involved. I joined a sorority and my social life has definitly benefited.

Pretty girls. Smart girls. No boys

Charlie

One of my reasons for coming to Barnard is the fact that it's in New York City, which has so much to offer. At the same time, there is a small campus so it isn't like NYU where you are simply thrown into the city. One thing that I don't like about Barnard is that I think it is not very campus oriented like other schools. A lot of people are very independent here and so they sort of do their own thing in the city. We do have the benefit of taking classes at Columbia and going to their events but there is some friction between the girls at Columbia and the girls at Barnard. I think it's because some girls say they go to Columbia when in fact they go to Barnard and the Columbia girls sometimes feel like we are stepping on their turf.

Barnard has a wide range of students. There is a gay/bi community here just like anywhere else but what I didn't know when I came here was that there was such a large Jewish Orthodox community. There is also a large Asian community. I do notice that many of the groups stay together and that does bother me sometimes. The students here are rather liberal.

There is a large gay/bi community here at Barnard. However, it is probably no bigger than anywhere else. It is just more acceptable here.

I much prefer classes at Barnard to classes at Columbia. I'm not a big fan of the Nine Ways of knowing but I heard that they are decreasing it next year. The professors are all great and you know that you are going to get a good degree when you come here. I prefer seminars to lectures because I don't like big classes, but that's just me. I don't really feel a competitive vibe as of now.

Barnard is not the best place for a social life, at least in my experience. If you are looking for a campus-oriented/frat party social scene, this is not the place for you. You can't do much in terms of partying without a fake I.D. If you are into cultural things in the city,however, this place is great. New york has so much to offer.

That everyone is gay and that we never see boys.

Molly

Barnard is the perfect size, and the campus has a homey feeling even though the area is actually quite urban. There is a lot of construction going on there now, which makes it a little harder to hang out on campus, but there are still tons of places at Columbia and in the neighborhood to hang out. Barnard's library could be a lot better. The building is kind of run down. That said, it's always possible to go to any of Columbia's library's to read and study. I had a very positive experience with the administration with the exception of the class registration process, which is ridiculous and requires you to wait in a huge line for hours in order to sign up for classes. During my time there I only had a few professors that I did not like.

The women at Barnard are incredible diverse and people are generally very accepting of one another. There is a large Jewish population and also a very active LGBT community. Barnard students tend to be very politically liberal, but there are definitely exceptions to that rule.

The first three are, the last one is not. Most Barnard students I know did not even apply to Columbia because the schools are so different.

The academic experience at Barnard is wonderful. In smaller classes, professors make an effort to know your name and to get to know you as a person. Participation is a huge part of most classes. I had the opportunity to form friendships with a few professors and advisors. Barnard's academic requirements make is imperative that you have a well rounded liberal arts education. You are required to take a certain number of classes in each of nine different discipline, but there are no "required" courses as there often are at larger universities such as Columbia.

Social life at Barnard takes place mostly off campus with groups of friends. My experience was that there wasn't too much to do on campus, but I did not really make an effort to get involved.

Smart, articulate, independent. Not as smart as Columbia College students.

Alex

Barnard is all girls school that partners with Columbia University. It is a small school in a huge and always loud and noisy city. We are located on the Upper West Side, south of Harlem. This however makes no difference as one must watch their surroundings and be street smart no matter where they go to school. We have on campus dorms as well as places to live off campus. We have some of the best professors in the world teaching at our school and thus we have a rich educational environment. At this moment they are doing building a new addition to our campus and although I am excited to see the new community center it has been very hard to live 24/7 with the construction going on. I have made some wonderful friends and taken great classes. I love that we have such a close relationship with Columbia as well which gives us more options on classes and even dining options. As we are located in New York City we are everyday given the option to use the wonderful things around us to further stimulate our education and further our growth into intellectual young adults.

There is racism. There is prejudism. But where does this not exist. Actually I have found Barnard to be a very accepting school. YOu must remember that we are an all girls school so there will be drama but overall the school is nothing like high school. There are groups of friends but people are inviting and welcoming and most of the time genuine people. But people are people and you will not always run into the nicest people. Also this being a difficult school, the stress levels are high and people as people always are, are very competitive. But the school overall is wonderful and I have made some wonderful friends.

Barnard is a wonderful school. Although I felt it wasnt the school for me during the first semester I have come to truly love the environment and the girls and am so proud to call myself a Barnard student.

No. The reason most girls attend Barnard is because they chose to. I did not even consider Columbia University when I was looking at colleges. Also we are an all girls school but that does not mean we are all lesbians. There are lesbians as there are in every school around the country and we are proud they are a part of our community and support them. We are proud to be smart, strong intellectual woman who will make a difference in the world and someones socioeconomic class, ethnicity, or sexual orientation does not matter, rather it adds some flavor to our school.

Each professor becomes someone that know. The classes are mostly small and hte largest are lecture classes but even then you do not feel lost or forgotten. There are always office hours and chances to meet your professor face to face. The relationship with the professor's here at Barnard are what makes this school exceptional. There are also veryl commonly seminar classes which allow each student the opportunity to share their opinions and to speak their mind. These classes are very personal and you grow to love the girls in the class along with the professors. The students who attend Barnard are all here to learn. Though people party and go out to have a good time and take away stress, people are always studying and working as you must remember the future leaders of the country in every field imaginable are studying within these campus gates. There are academic requirements and although sometimes seem unnecessary and difficult to fulfill, can be. Each student is given an advisor who knows them by name and help you each year figure out your schedule and your future plans in the school. They are always there for you and helpful. Every student choses for themselves how they will take their classes and how they do in their classes. School is hard and students are asked for a lot of work and dedication but when you love the class you are taking be it Organic Chemistry, American History, or French you will do what you can to do well. Some people go through college with a job in mind but that is their choice, others take their time finding a major and dabble in multiple areas of interest. Whatever you decide to do is good for it is your learning experience.

SGA is very popular here--many girls go all out and campaign which keeps a close Barnard community with passionate leaders. Barnard babysitting is very popular as well. It gives students a chance to make money and connect with families in NYC--some jobs are very well payng. Also students join clubs that stand for pride of color, religion, sexual orientation and such. THere are also other groups such as yoga and cooking that girls join. There are tons of clubs and everyone has the chance to join and become a part of something.

Barnard is an all-girls school so people make judgements about that. Also some say the reason we go here is because we could not get in to Columbia and even Columbia students make sure we make it clear that we don't.

Kendall

Perhaps the best thing about Barnard is that it is a small liberal arts college associated with a large university, so there are tons of classes to choose from but still the more intimate feel of a smaller school. It also has an amazing dance department. Professors on the whole are really excellent, although classes are often less stimulating than one would hope. The student body, unfortunately, seems to be less influenced by the cultural and artistic opportunities offered by the city, preferring instead the shallow, materialistic, elitist side of city life.

Barnard girls are characterized by their refusal to eat in public. They look at you like you're crazy if they see you eating (quel horreur!) or if you decline to join their group diet (so antisocial!). Furthermore, they act as though not eating in public makes them somehow morally superior to you, even if you're thinner than they are (not that being thin makes one morally superior either; I'm merely trying to point out that they, like all living beings, clearly do eat, and probably more than I do).

No, alas. Try the stereotype of the spoiled, rich, fashion-obsessed girl instead.

Many classes are very small-- my largest (academic) class at Barnard this semester had nine students!-- and the professors are excellent. However, classes are easy, expectations are low and good grades are often undeserved. There's little emphasis on learning and analysis and applying knowledge to the world. I say this particularly in comparison to my first two years at a different liberal arts college.

Despite being in the middle of New York City, most students pursue drinking and drugs rather than culture; it's quite difficult to find a companion to go to the theatre or opera, and you'll probably come back to find your roommate smoking pot in your room. Musicians-- don't count on being able to find a practice room or especially a piano remotely in tune, even if it is a Steinway. Hillel, at least, is very active and welcoming.

I had always thought Barnard girls were supposed to be the upcoming generation of brilliant women working to change the world.

Laura

Barnard is a small liberal arts college in the middle of NYC. It is an integral part of the umbrella school, Columbia University. You really can't mention Barnard without Columbia because all of our sports and activities take place there, across the street and the traffic certainly goes both ways. You just have to stand at 117th street and watch to see that! So in a way, Barnard is the perfect size. Small enough to have a community feel but large enough that you don't feel claustrophobic. There is a lot of school pride here. On spirit day, everyone comes out, sporting I <3 BC tee-shirts and during orientation, the pride is really overwhelming. The OLs all love Barnard and are so enthusiastic that as a freshman it is pretty daunting and stressful, feeling pressured during the first week to fall in love with the school. But their excitement is contagious and by the end of the first year, the love and pride catches on. The best night of the semester is probably Orgo night. On the night before the first day of finals, the student body is served breakfast at midnight by the deans of the college and at about 1am (after interrupting intense cramming in Butler Library), the Columbia University Marching Band crosses the street and serenades us in the Quad. We throw all the papers we don't need out the window, in a snow flurry of papers and dance around them in the quad. I think we may be the only school to celebrate the beginning of finals, but it really is great! The first final is always Organic Chemistry, one of the hardest finals the school offers, hence "Orgo Night"

Barnard students are mostly politically active liberals. We sometimes forget conservatives exist for the lack of them on campus. And those who are not politically active feel very out of place here and uncomfortable during the frequent politcial discussions. The hallways on my floor are covered with campaign posters for the '08 election right now. And the CU Democrats is a really active group on campus. There is a wide range of socioeconomic backgrounds, but not much middle ground. There's a lot of rich kids that have been to private school their entire life and don't object to dishing out $200 for a textbook. Actually, most students here went to private school. There is also the crowd that has a huge financial aid package and couldn't afford Barnard otherwise. It's sometimes daunting to be around so much wealth and can be uncomfortable when your wealthier friends want to go out and do something expensive (as everything in New York City is!) and you have to explain to them that you can't afford it. It is a foreign concept to many students here to not have a bank account filled with their parents money whenever they need or want it. Some students dress up for class, but usually only because they have a job or internship right after or before it. And some students wear pajama pants or sweatpants. Most students just wear normal clothes: jeans, tee-shirts and sweaters.

Barnard students are highly motivated, and it would take a long time to find a barnard girl without leggings, skinny jeans or ballet flats. But while feminist lesbians feel at home and are welcomed here at Barnard, there are no more of them than you would find at any other school. And as for not getting into Columbia, a lot of us never even applied! And I actually know a couple of girls across the street at Columbia who didn't get into Barnard.

Academics are amazing here at Barnard. I am taking 10 classes this semester, which is a bit unheard of for anyone, and i only have one class that is bigger than 20 people. And most of them are less than 10. Which means you get a lot of individual attention. The conversations always carry on outside of the classroom. In my Oral french class, when we see each other outside of class, we automatically start talking to each other in French, and from all of the seminar classes, its impossible to leave the class without having something to talk about with a friend! The professors here are incredibly thought provoking and encourage discussion which can sometimes lead to very interesting conversations at late night in Hewitt dining hall with your friends. Students here are very competitive, and really sleep for the amount of studying they do. A lot of people I know hole up in their rooms studying all day. But that's certainly not everyone! Barnard's academic requirements are nothing to complain about. When you even think complaining thoughts about having to take some required class, you remind yourself that you have it much better than your columbia friends and their core! Barnard also accepts a lot of AP or IB credit, which helps a lot with the requirements.

Barnard Social scene can seem a little difficult to break into at first. You know it's there but it is hard to make friends past the acquaintance point because everyone is so busy. It is New York City, after all. As for the party scene? Nonexistent at Barnard. But that doesn't mean that Barnard girls don't party! It's just that most would rather not hang out and party in an all-girls dorm where the alcohol policy is really strict. All the partying takes place on Columbia campus or at local bars and clubs. Which is nice really, it means it's never outside your door when you're trying to sleep or study. And because of the sheer amount of schools in New York City, the dating scene at Barnard is certainly alive. Some people call us the most coed women's college around. You probably wouldn't know it's a women's college just by checking in the cafeteria on a usual weekday. There are so many possibilities here for the weekends. There's clubs and bars downtown, there's parties on campus and if you don't want to party, then that is perfectly fine too! There are lots of non-partiers on campus who feel just fine at home here. There's movie nights on certain floors, and lectures and shows on campus all weekend, every weekend. Besides all that, it is New York City after all, you can basically do anything you want on a weekend! My closest friends live on my floor, and we do a variety of things. We're all good students and study all week, nobody goes out on weekdays here! Last weekend, my friend and I went down to a club friday night, and had a movie night on Saturday night. There is a distinct difference between the bar hoppers from Barnard/Columbia though. We are always smart about how we party. While a lot of girls from other schools might get wasted and go crazy on the dance floor, there is a certain level of maturity expected from Barnard students that is always maintained. Everything in moderation.

Legging, ballet-flat and skinny jean wearing highly motivated females in New York City. Many people think that Barnard's student body is made up of feminist lesbians and those who didn't get in to Columbia.

Parker

The great thing about Barnard is that you get all of the benefits of Columbia ("Columbia University" stamped on your diploma, access to all of Columbia's facilities including its GORGEOUS libraries...) without having to go to Columbia. Columbia is great for some people, but it is huge and students can slip through the cracks there with no one noticing. At Barnard everyone- and I mean everyone, even the desk attendants in the dorms- is committed to helping you succeed. Plus, Barnard has incredible resources of its own: its alumnae are quite generous and sponsor everything from scholarships to creative writing prizes to internship grants. And these alumnae are also a great support network for finding jobs, internships... even apartments!

Although Barnard is fairly diverse in all sorts of ways, it is predominantly left-wing and predominantly Jewish. The great thing is that, though you may be in the minority as a Buddhist or a conservative (or lesbian or black or from a low-income family... etc...), there's very little chance that you'll feel discriminated against either by students or by the faculty or administration. On the contrary, I think Barnard students are exceptionally open to different kinds of backgrounds and are genuinely interested in learning from each other. The one thing I have noticed is that there are VERY few black professors at Barnard. Maybe one or two. It's outrageous and the school should be doing more to recruit faculty that is just as diverse as the student body.

It's probably fairly obvious by now that I love Barnard. But I want to reiterate that: about twice a week I have a "Barnard moment," where it just kind of hits me that I'm so incredibly lucky to go to this school. It might be seeing President Shapiro walking her dogs (she's pretty much the coolest woman ever), or just walking by the gorgeous magnolia tree on campus. Or the free yoga sessions every Sunday night. Or the random events Barnard sponsors where they give you free food or massages or let you build a bear or make a giant sub sandwich spanning the length of Barnard's campus. Barnard can be intense, but the students never hurt each other to get ahead. It's more about doing your own thing, figuring out what you want to do, and there are plenty of resources to help you do that.

Nope. Of course you'll find girls at Barnard who know all the latest fashion trends and have the money to keep up with them, but there are girls like that everywhere. And just because these girls are obsessed with handbags and heels doesn't mean that they aren't smart. Ninety percent of the students I've met at Barnard are driven and passionate about what they're doing. They may be passionate about something I'm not into (being the next CEO of Goldman Sachs, for instance) but I love that students here care about what they're learning and where they'll be in the next ten years.

My classes at Barnard have mostly been small-ish seminar classes with about 30 people. On the whole my courses have been challenging and very rewarding, but one thing I've noticed about Barnard students is that they're sometimes shy about speaking up in class. This varies hugely, of course, but I have been disappointed sometimes with the lack of class discussion. On the other hand, this means that very few Barnard students are the kind of pretentious know-it-alls who just like to hear themselves speak and quote Foucault five times in one sentence (there are a fair number of these across the street). But just because Barnard students aren't jumping out of their seats to participate in discussion doesn't mean they're not paying attention: on the whole students here study A LOT. We take academics seriously, because believe it or not most of us aren't here to find a husband at Columbia. We're here to learn from some of the most brilliant and accomplished scholars in the world.

There is always a lot going on around here. There are all kinds of clubs at Barnard and Columbia having all kinds of events all the time. Plus there are school-sponsored events like Midnight Breakfast, not to mention lectures, dance performances, plays, and musicals happening pretty much all the time. There are bars and clubs in the neighborhood, and of course downtown Manhattan is just a half-hour away, so if you're into that it's definitely available. And if you're not, there are plenty of events on campus to keep you busy, and then there's everything else happening in Manhattan. Basically, if you're bored there must be something wrong with you.

We're ditzy, fashion-obsessed, boy-obsessed sluts who couldn't get into Columbia so we went to Barnard in the hopes of finding a Columbia pre-med guy to marry.

carly

Kind and always trying to make students relax and have fun while achieving their goals.

Nice, a cool mix of people.

Very helpful in getting advice and internships

Veronica

Barnard is the perfect combination for students who want a small, liberal-arts focus but also want the opportunities and variety available on a big, city-based campus. Because the college is part of Columbia University, students can attend Columbia classes and attend CU events, but because they are a part of the Barnard system, they get one on one advising and mentoring opportunities available only on small campuses.

The campus is predominately liberal, although we do have a vocal Republican minority. Politically, everyone gets very involved in campaigns and local issues (such as the Manhattanville expansion controversy). Students here are usually Harvard level students who are too laid back, undecided, or lazy to go there, and who spend their weekends alternately cramming for their finals and papers and cheking out the museums they get into for free and shows they get for half price.

If you're a vegetarian, vegan, or kosher, Barnard is a good place to go. Although they sometimes confuse starch as a viable focus for a healthy meal, there is a kosher menu and vegetarian options each day, as well as a vegan grill for lunch and dinner.

No on both counts! Barnard is an all-girls school, so we do miss guys, but we look to CU for friendship more than sex. Columbia women can be a little standoffish at first, but it's not long before they realize how smart and talented their sister school is, and any animosity is usually gone by the first semester of freshman year.

Classes are usually between 10 to 20 students, and professors can easily be reached. There is one required class, First Year English, which everyone has to get through, but don't judge Barnard's english department based on it! It's the one downside to freshman year. Barnard has very good french and pre-med courses, but as a comparative literature major, I found Columbia offered more variety and depth, especially courses like Prague Spring (an examination of Czech film and literature in the 1960s). Barnard has the Nine Wasy of Knowing, which in contrast to CU's Core Requirements is a flexible program geared towards working with your interests.

The frat and heavy drinking scene is only for those who seek it out- the majority of students get involved in a club or group of friends who go out exploring Manhattan and the neighboring borroughs. A great way to meet people who share similar interests is to go to the Club Fair at the beginning of the year and attend the first meeting of any you're interested in. Barnard students don't sleep- if someone's in bed at 2am, it's either because they're deathly ill or they're avoiding someone. Relationships have the typical college shelf life of a few weeks to a couple of months, but hooking up is pretty common. Barnard's College Activities Board always has suggestions as to where to go or what to see, but students usually prefer to hang out on the Lowe Library steps and argue philosophy and whether Snickers Bars are heaven on earth- we're big on debate, and CU is even more so, but we rarely take our arguments seriously.

Barnard girls will hook up with any Columbia guy, and that Columbia and Barnard women never get along.

Simone

The best thing about Barnard is the courses, the small college/big university feel. One thing I would change is the required two lab science courses. One is sufficient or do as Columbia does and have three lectures required. Sizewise it is just right. My class at BC is slightly bigger than my graduating class in high school--CC is too big. Reactions to Barnard: 1) That's a great school 2) I didn't think you were someone who'd go to a chick school. 3) how are you going to pay for that? Columbia University/Barnard have the smallest campus ever (well not really). I am living half a mile away from the main part of campus next year and people act like it's in pluto. UMD's campus in diameter is about 3 miles. Seriously. Barnard has a great campus feel--we have all sorts of fun spirit activities, from midnight breakfast to Greek Games to bling night. Columbia students don't have it and frankly they covet the fun and often show up to eat at our events. Currently, I'm mad at the administration, because of the tenure process--the head of the Urban Studies program did not get tenure, which is upsetting. Also President Judith Shapiro, of whom I'm a big fan is leaving and we're getting a new president, so I can't speak to that. The Deans are great--they are accessible and really care about their students. Controversies tend to stay more across the street at CC : eg. Ahmedinijad (sp) and the Minute Man. Lately, Barnard controversies have been really only around tenure. School pride in abundance. Barnard has sexhibition every year which is kind of hilarious (a fair about consensual sex). Being in New York City makes Columbia unique--we have a whole range of options of things off campus. Complaints are usually about the housing lottery.

see above. although I'd say people tend to be on the wealthy side there is a sizable population of kids on workstudy. most students are from the tri-state area.

1) yes and no. While the campus is heavily liberal, it is nothing like say UC Berkeley. Personally, I know several lesbians, but by no means is GLBTQ population huge 2) I think this comes from New Yorkers wearing black. 3) Most of the young women I know at Barnard, Barnard was their primary choice of schools. I have met one person who admitted that she wanted to go to CC and applied to Barnard as a back up (Barnard, CC, SEAS, and GS students can take classes at all of the schools, the only ones that are all female are first-year English, and first-year Seminar). Barnard has a very different academic milieu than CC--there is a big emphasis on female and minority thinkers in English classes, and our coure curriculum is much more open.

Classes are on the small size. Seminars run around 12-18 students. Lectures from 20 to 100 (my biggest). My professors know my name but that's because I talk to much. Urban Studies rocks. education for its own sake and getting a job.

Popular organization: McAc- the programming arm of the SGA. I'm involved with Shalhevet the Israeli dance troupe--its a great campus to be a dancer on. frats/sors are kind of a joke. everyone goes to a party the week of orientation and that's about it. while people certainly drink its not over the top...my group of friends rarely drinks on saturday.

1) Barnard is full of liberal lesbians 2)everyone wears black 3) Barnard is where rejects of Columbia College end up.

Barnard College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.