Barnard College

« See more reviews of Barnard College

1) There is definitely a constant aura of Barnard pride. BUT, by no means do I think that Barnard are the crazy protesting feminists we are often depicted as. I, myself - and tons of my friends - did not apply to Barnard because it is a women's college. Barnard does not pressure you to fight for women's rights, or anything; Barnard wants you to embrace your identity, whatever that may be. 2) I grew up being best friends with all the boys. I vowed I would never apply to an all girls' school. Yet, here I am and I LOVE IT! There are plenty of boys in classes, in extracurriculars, wandering around campus, out in the nightlife scene, eating in our dining hall, and crashing our awesome Barnard events. It took me a little while to find them. That's the difference between a girls' school with boys across the street and a co-ed school. It takes a little more time and a bit more effort, but it's not as difficult as it may sound. 3) The beautiful thing about Barnard is that there is no archetypal "Barnard girl." I think we all love to learn and we are all intelligent women. Beyond that, there are so many different types of people here that there is a place for everyone. 4) Although Barnard students enjoy the benefits that Columbia University provides, Barnard is not a "loophole." It is a fantastic, challenging liberal arts college that is one of the four undergraduate colleges of Columbia University. Barnard students worked just as hard to get into Barnard as Columbia students did to get into Columbia and both student bodies continue to work hard. 5) Like every other university, class difficulty varies. There are easier classes and harder classes at both schools. It also depends on professors and departments. It is unfair to say that one school is easier than the other. It's just not true. 6) When I first got to Barnard, I did sense a bit of tension. But really, tension is created. I had been expecting it. It's not just there waiting for you; you have to put effort into making tension. So, I've found if you don't want tension or competition it won't be there. The tension between girls is the best joke at Columbia.

Yes, there are lesbians and feminists, but like any population, there are people who are not. Barnard is about empowering women and preparing them for leadership and success, so outsiders might see it as fostering feminism. But it is a girls school, and by not allowing men it is a feminist school that caters to women over men. I guess it depends on your own personal definition of feminist, and whether or not you agree with it. I consider myself relatively feminist because I believe that women can do just as well as men and should have equal rights completely, but I don't advocate that any one person elevate themselves over another, and disagree when "feminists" degrade men. In terms of the "Barnyard," girls at Barnard tend to be a little more relaxed than those at Columbia. This is just my opinon, and depends on who you interact with, but typically I notice that girls who go to Barnard are more real and open to discovering themselves. If you choose Columbia over Barnard as a woman, it sometimes seems like a sell-out, because Barnard is just as great if not better. As a woman, I think the smarter choice is to go to Barnard where the classes are excellent and we are given the oppertunity to grow intellectually as women. But Barnard is not for everyone, and if you don't want to challenge your own views/opinons and be open to change, then its not for you...You might be happier at Columbia. And does everyone dance at Barnard...pretty much. As a dancer myself, the oppertunities are endless and I love being able to dance everyday. Finally, in terms of "Barnard to bed, Columbia to wed" I know that alot of Columbia guys date Barnard women...sometimes that creates tension with the Columbia women. But in terms of Columbia men ultimately choosing Columbia girls over Barnard women, I don't know if that has merit. If the man is afraid of marrying an opinonated woman who is bound to be successful, then he might not want to marry a Barnard woman. No trophy wives here

Almost all of these stereotypes are false. Barnard girls are a incredibly diverse group of girls. At Barnard anyone can find a huge diverse group of friends. The number of international students at Barnard (and Columbia University in general) I think is incredible, which makes for an interesting campus dynamic. Everyone at Barnard is very accepting and it is incredible how hard working and determined some of the girls here are. Many do incredible internship, service work, or are just really fun people. Even though most girls are inevitable bookworms because they are taking very challenging courses, they are usually pretty in tuned in to the world especially cause they are living in New York. Because New York is so exciting most girls make time to get off campus. On the other hand there are lots of girls who are just in the city to play hard and party hard, but there are actually less of those types than I thought there would be (and I believe every school needs some party people anyways). The only issue that I have experienced affiliated with the bitchy girl stereotype is that in a class with 200 Pre-Med girls things can get awfully tense and competitive. I personally do not like the all girls atmosphere, but have decided to stick it out because everything else at Barnard for me is perfect. You have to be able to handle a lot of estrogen tho because for a lot of girls its really hard to make guy friends.

No. The reason most girls attend Barnard is because they chose to. I did not even consider Columbia University when I was looking at colleges. Also we are an all girls school but that does not mean we are all lesbians. There are lesbians as there are in every school around the country and we are proud they are a part of our community and support them. We are proud to be smart, strong intellectual woman who will make a difference in the world and someones socioeconomic class, ethnicity, or sexual orientation does not matter, rather it adds some flavor to our school.

since there are no men there do seem to be many lesbians around, or at least a lot of women who are bi-curious. there are more traditional women than feminists and the women considered to be slutty aren't that slutty. women are very competitive at this school and will fight and do anything to get what they want. it's a tough school and women take pride in being a student at this school. there are very many intelligent beautiful strong women here at barnard regardless of what is said about the student body. i have found some amazing friends here.

The stereotype of Barnard does not give the college enough credit. Although Barnard is slightly easier to get into than Columbia, the courses are usually at the same level of difficulty. Also, most students enrolled at Barnard tend to take most classes on their own campus. As for the social aspect, there is some friction between Barnard and Columbia women; however, when standing next to each other, they are impossible to tell apart.

I would say in my experience they haven't been true. There are some Barnard girls that I've met who are much smarter than some of the Columbia students I've had classes with. The reverse has also been true. In my experience Barnard has a wide range of girls who represent almost all the different types of girls you would meet.

not totally. yeah, there are lesbians. yeah, there are ditzy, dumb, and materialistic girls. but who doesn't have them? people who want to find them in our school, in order to prove a point, will. i just hate when people think we all applied to columbia and got rejected. i most certainly didn't apply there.

Some people at Barnard are indeed homosexual and some others are rejects. However, this doesn't represent the whole lot of the students that go there. So to say this stereotype is accurate would be utterly preposterous.

We are not all lesbians Many of us are more attractive than Columbia girls Unsure if we are more studious, on average, than Columbia girls We are not just "wannabe" Ivy-Leaguers--we chose Barnard for a reason