Barnard College

« See more reviews of Barnard College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

The biggest stereotype is that we are all lesbians and feminists because we go to an all girls school. Before I even started at Barnard, my friends from home joked about me becoming a lesbian, just because I would be surrounded by girls all the time. Another stereotype is that Barnard girls are more wild as compared to our Columbia counterparts, with Barnard being called the "Barnyard". There is also a saying among Columbia men regarding dating Barnard and Columbia girls: "Barnard to bed, Columbia to wed." Finally, alot of people assume that you dance if you go to Barnard, because a good part of the population are dancers and the school is known for its dance program.

Barnard is thought of as a liberal haven of fiesty women who seek a top tier education in an extremely broadminded campus. Barnard is also known as the "easy in" to Columbia, and it is sometimes seen as an ivy wannabe. Socially, Barnard women have the reputation of being promiscuous on account of the male-free campus, and Columbia women are known to dislike Barnard girls due to the competition they pose

There are a lot of stereotypes about Barnard especially because it is an all girls school but only a few are true. people say we are total feminists, some say were Clumbia's sluts, others bookworms, some people think were all lesbians (not saying it would be bad if we were), oand some people think Barnard girls are very competitive and bitchy.

1) All Barnard girls are "yay-rah-rah women!" 2) There are no boys around because it is a women's college. 3) You can spot a girl from a mile away. 4) Barnard is the loophole into Columbia. 5) Barnard classes are easier than Columbia classes. 6) Columbia girls hate Barnard girls and vice versa.

Barnard is an all-girls school so people make judgements about that. Also some say the reason we go here is because we could not get in to Columbia and even Columbia students make sure we make it clear that we don't.

That, compared to Columbia Barnard girls are not as smart. That Barnard girls are crazy lesbian feminists. It's an all girls school so everyone is a lesbian. Barnard girls are wealthy and very fashionable.

1. We're all lesbians. 2. We're all feminists. Overbearingly so. 3. We wish we were Columbia girls (funny bit: columbia had no women until the 70s I think, we ARE the original columbia girls...)

Stereotypes about Barnard students are that they aren't as smart as Columbia students and that the girls who attend are either all lesbians or all really slutty.

We are all lesbians More attractive than Columbia girls More studious than Columbia girls All Barnard students are just girls who couldn't get into Columbia

lesbians, feminists, yuppies, sluts, and very traditional women who want to marry rich columbia men in order to live a sex in the city life minus the hard work