Barnard College

« See more reviews of Barnard College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

It's an all women's college, so one can only imagine all the stereotypes that come with it. Basically, some people think that if you go to an all women's college you're a lesbian, which is fine if you are, but not all of us are, obviously. Truthfully though, most stereotypes come from Columbia College where some people poke fun at Barnard women saying that they are less intelligent because they go to Barnard and not Columbia College.

Because Barnard is a woman's college, it has the same stereotypes that chase all single-sex schools: People claim that Barnard students are either all gay or extremely easy to get into bed. Or because it's connected to Columbia, some people assume that Barnard students all wanted to go to Columbia originally and used Barnard as a "back door" to an Ivy League school.

It really depends on which side of the street you're asking. On the west side of Broadway, anyone will tell you that "Barnard girls" are generally smart, studious, driven -- perhaps even a bit pre-professional, and stylish. On the east side, you might hear that they are slutty idiots who just couldn't get into Columbia College.

1. That we are all spoiled brats 2. That we are Columbia's "girl next door" (thanks, Simpsons) and use Barnard as a backdoor to the institution across the street because we never would have been admitted 3. That we are umm...promiscuous 4. That we are feminazis and don't shave our legs. 5. That Barnard classes are easier.

Barnard girls are "easy," because, being at an all women's school, they are starved for the attention of men. They are not as "smart" or intellectually capable as the Columbia students across the street. But, they are cuter and better dressed than girls at Columbia.

There are two major stereotypes about Barnard. The first is that there is a lack of diversity in the ethnicity make-up of the student body. The second is that it's image as a prestigious institution is characterized by a "rich kid" student population.

Some of the stereotypes are that Barnard students are very ambitious and competitive and that they do nothing else but study all the time. Many people think that most of the students are feminists or lesbians since it is an all girls school.

Barnard students are assumed to have applied to Columbia College, been rejected, and applied to Barnard as a last resort or a back door to Columbia. They are also generally considered to be not as intelligent, kind of slutty, and prettier.

People (especially Columbia students) tend to talk about Barnard women like they're sluts and not very intelligent. I guess other than that the only stereotypes I can think of are rich and excessively fashion-conscious.

Many people believe that Barnard students are not as intelligent as Columbia students, that they are more interested in fashion than in their studies, and that they go to Barnard as an easier way to get into Columbia.