Barnard College

« See more reviews of Barnard College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

At an all-women's college you will always have misogyny rearing it's ugly head from your male counterparts. The stereotype is that we're all whores or we're all lesbians. These just come with the territory.

Legging, ballet-flat and skinny jean wearing highly motivated females in New York City. Many people think that Barnard's student body is made up of feminist lesbians and those who didn't get in to Columbia.

Barnard to bed, Columbia to wed...this is the gist of stereotypes that comes from Barnard's awkward, colvoluted relationship to Columbia. Others: Barnard girls are all sluts, lesbians, stupid, etc, etc.

There are many stereotypes you may hear (or more likely read about on blogs of various kinds): "Barnard is the back-door to Columbia" or that Barnard women are either slutty or bitchy.

-all students lesbians -barnard is easier than columbia -barnard is easier to get into than columbia -all classes are liberal arts (no sciences) -all students are super involved

Some Columbia students, mostly Columbia girls, argue that Barnard women are not as smart as CC students. Also, one occasionally hears that Barnard students are all lesbians.

People think that we all go to Barnard because we couldn't get into Columbia. They also suspect that since it's an all-women's college, we are all lesbians and hate men.

We're ditzy, fashion-obsessed, boy-obsessed sluts who couldn't get into Columbia so we went to Barnard in the hopes of finding a Columbia pre-med guy to marry.

sometimes people think that barnard students only went to barnard because they think it's the "backdoor" into columbia. or, "barnard to bed, columbia to wed".

Some people think Barnard students don't know how to have fun, are too studious. Also sometimes they are seen as lesbians because of the all girl thing