Barnard College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Barnard College

Mya

Barnard has honestly changed my life. My decision to go here was one of, if not the best decision, I've made so far. The people are great, the atmosphere is wonderful and supportive, and as someone who loves to learn, it's really the place for me. However, it is pricy living in New York City, though I received a scholarship to ease most of my financial worries.

Christina

I love Barnard. It became a home for me so quickly. I was very unhappy in high school, but Barnard's emphasis on self-care, community, and personal development has changed my life. Barnard was the perfect fit for me. Quiet enough so I could get work done, but whenever I'm done with work, there is always stuff to do. Additionally, I find that the education I'm receiving is challenging and rewarding at the same time. Furthermore, so many employers around New York City have offered my friends and me opportunities because we are Barnard students, whom they consider highly motivated and intelligent individuals. I would recommend Barnard to any woman who is highly ambitious and wants to improve herself for the better.

Nergiz

NYC is amazing

zhiyong

good

Nadia

Overall, I love it here. The students are great people, and I admire all of their passion and activism. The classes at Barnard are, for the most part, some of the best I've ever taken. On the downside, our relationship with Columbia is tense to say the least.

Merc

I made the best decision of my life going to Barnard. You won't regret it!

Kirby

I love Barnard. The courses are rigorous, the professors are involved, and the friendships are lifelong. If you want to do a pre-professional program, this isn't the school for you. If you want a broad range of critical thinking skills and exposure to a number of interesting courses, this could be the right fit. It's not perfect, but there's a sense of community here that is less common in city schools. We have fun traditions, a lot of Barnard pride, and a strongly held belief that women can accomplish anything. It's a women's college, but you also take Columbia classes and Columbia students take Barnard classes (and you live in NYC), so I don't feel isolated or overwhelmed by estrogen. People are, in my experience, kind, passionate, and super driven and successful. Occasionally it gets a bit too politically heated--it's a pretty liberal campus, and sometimes students are outrageously politically correct to the point of policing their peers--but not everyone is so outspoken and extreme. Most people are respectful and thoughtful and willing to discuss (or not, if you don't want to talk). Overall, I'm really glad I chose Barnard.

A

I like it. Very diverse place. Nothing like you’ve seen before. And hard academics- it is nice having the option to take classes at Barnard and/or Columbia. There really is so many classes to choose from!! It is a pretty accommodating school. And not such a terrible location :)

Zoe

I absolutely love Barnard. For me, it is the perfect combination of a women's college, Ivy League education, liberal arts school, and big research institution due to its relationship with Columbia. Barnard is also in New York City and I can not think of a better "college town." I could not be happier.

Naledi

Meredith

Barnard is unbelievable. There is no other school like it. Barnard students get the best of both worlds. We are part of a small liberal arts college focused on furthering the education and status of women, but we have complete access to a large research university, Columbia University. We have New York City at our fingertips, and have endless opportunities to make a difference on our campus and in our community. Barnard women are strong, passionate, and supportive, and we take a lot of pride in our little corner of the greatest city in the world.

Caroline

I love it here at Barnard! I feel as though the community is very open accepting. There is an extremely liberal climate which I really appreciate. There are also many great services like counseling and great primary care physicians. Everywhere you go, you know you'll be greeted with understanding and a warm smile; that's just how people are here. The only thing I would change would be the quality of the food and number of vegetarian options!

N

The experience I had at Barnard was one of my greatest blessings. From the faculty, to my courses, to my friends, I was constantly pushed and inspired to become a better woman. Being at Barnard helped me to find my path in the world and determine how I wanted to walk it.

Lyda

It is a great college with the pros of a small college but the resources of a big university. There is a good environmental on campus and so far great classroom experiences. The professors are very available and here is a lot of resources for students to go to when seeking help. The student body also is great.

Carla

Barnard College is a wonderful Liberal Arts Women's College. You are surrounded by incredible, driven and welcoming women with diverse backgrounds, majors and opinions. Barnard is also unique in its partnership with Columbia University. Although Barnard does not have its own sports teams or greek life, you are able to take part in Columbia's teams and extracurricular activities. You are also able to use the facilities available on both campuses and take classes wherever you feel most comfortable. It provides a very strong education in one of the best cities in the world! You can study in cafes around campus, explore Times Square or take a walk in Central Park. I highly recommend Barnard College.

Sara

Barnard College is an incredible school and I suggest that if anyone has the opportunity to attend this institution should go. All my classes have been incredible and my professors have been so accommodating with any questions or struggles in a class. Barnard propels you to do your best!