Barnard College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Barnard College

Context so you know the perspective of the person writing this review: I grew up middle class, in a more rural/small town area near a huge state university. I take school seriously and did well in high school, and also always had jobs and extracurriculars. I also partied a lot, am super social, and was on the more popular end of the spectrum. and I definitely had a little wild child streak towards the end of high school and beginning of college. Good things about the school: some of the classes. If you want to study something liberal artsy, this is a good school for it because you can be in small, seminar type classes where you can really learn! I had a couple awesome English profs. HOWEVER, there is a ton of cheating, so it's kind of hard to feel like the learning is real when everyone is legitimately cheating on everything. On one hand, there is a very rigorous environment in the classes, but on the other, everyone knows that no one is actually learning. So it creates an environment where everyone is competing to do well, but not to actually do well honestly. Basically, most people do not care about school, they just care about winning. So there are lots of people walking around competing for how well the did by trying the least and partying the most and sleeping the least, etc. Also, a lot of the professors, especially if you take classes at Columbia, gave off elitist, sexist, and racist vibes. White (or jewish) men run the show. If you are not one, you may feel your voice is not listened to or valued. On a similar note, the social environment felt toxic to me. Maybe I am just dumb for going there since I am just a regular girl and it should be expected, but if you ever watched gossip girl or the social network, the way the Ivy League social environment is portrayed is REAL. And if you are not from that class/world, you will probably feel extremely alienated. The other big community there is social justice and lgbtq, which is great, but I personally felt alienated from those communities as well, because they functioned as a lifestyle and were not super welcoming, and coming into college I had really no idea what I believed yet. Either way, if you are stressed about paying for college like I was, even if you get financial aid and have a job outside of class, like I did, the entire social life is based on paying for expensive things and going fancy places. If you want to have friends, you have to be able to go to the bars and out to eat and pay for clubs or pay to be in greek life. I was constantly stressed about money every single day I was at this school, and the people around me literally were a level of rich I did not even know existed. It was seriously a culture shock. I definitely made a few good friends, but I truly found like maybe 2 people the ENTIRE time I was there that came from a similar (working/middle class, rural or small town) background like I did. And it really showed! Everyone knows you are not one of them, even if you don't. And very few other people I knew had jobs, so I felt alone in that too. There are definitely other girls like me there, but it was NOT the majority. Basically, I would say if you are a regular person, you will feel extremely stressed out and subtly isolated at this school. Also, if you want to have a social life that includes seeing men, everyone goes to Columbia parties. And in my experience, the guys there are the most entitled people ever. I grew up in a college town and experienced college parties and hook up culture in high school, and was definitely a party girl, and STILL I would say the hook up culture at Columbia university if SCARY AF. Like very very entitled and sexist attitudes all the way around. There is also this weird competition between Barnard girls and Columbia girls, where they say that Columbia girls are nerdy and Barnard girls are hot, and Columbia girls say Barnard girls are stupid because they couldn't get into Columbia. so that is just a lovely little addition to the vibes there. Overall, the environment is very competitive: who has the best grades by trying the least, who is the most well connected, who has the most money, who is the coolest, who has the best clothes, who is invited to the best parties. Also LOTS fo slut shaming, from girls and guys. Like if you dress like you go to PSU or ASU or another state school, people will slut shame you for sure. People are really ruthless and will literally walk all over each other to get to the top. Like I witnessed very few real friendships between the girls there but SO MANY fake friendships. They were all being super fake nice and hanging out all the time, but then yelling and screaming and crying in their rooms because they screwed each other over constantly. Also, in my first semester there 4 people that I know of committed or attempted suicide. Basically, unless you are rich and went to a private boarding school in new England or are so committed to social justice that you want to take on a world like that and change it (and are actually committed to doing that and suffering for that cause) I would stay away. You will probably be stressed and feel like you're trying to keep up with a world that wasn't made for you and quite honestly doesn't want you to be part of it. It's sad because I want people who that world wasn't made for to break into it, but I do not know if it's worth all of the sh*t you will have to go through to do it, and the absolutely entitled and rude and ruthless but fake af ~individuals~ you will meet there.

Mya

Barnard has honestly changed my life. My decision to go here was one of, if not the best decision, I've made so far. The people are great, the atmosphere is wonderful and supportive, and as someone who loves to learn, it's really the place for me. However, it is pricy living in New York City, though I received a scholarship to ease most of my financial worries.

Christina

I love Barnard. It became a home for me so quickly. I was very unhappy in high school, but Barnard's emphasis on self-care, community, and personal development has changed my life. Barnard was the perfect fit for me. Quiet enough so I could get work done, but whenever I'm done with work, there is always stuff to do. Additionally, I find that the education I'm receiving is challenging and rewarding at the same time. Furthermore, so many employers around New York City have offered my friends and me opportunities because we are Barnard students, whom they consider highly motivated and intelligent individuals. I would recommend Barnard to any woman who is highly ambitious and wants to improve herself for the better.

Nergiz

NYC is amazing

zhiyong

good

Nadia

Overall, I love it here. The students are great people, and I admire all of their passion and activism. The classes at Barnard are, for the most part, some of the best I've ever taken. On the downside, our relationship with Columbia is tense to say the least.

Merc

I made the best decision of my life going to Barnard. You won't regret it!

Kirby

I love Barnard. The courses are rigorous, the professors are involved, and the friendships are lifelong. If you want to do a pre-professional program, this isn't the school for you. If you want a broad range of critical thinking skills and exposure to a number of interesting courses, this could be the right fit. It's not perfect, but there's a sense of community here that is less common in city schools. We have fun traditions, a lot of Barnard pride, and a strongly held belief that women can accomplish anything. It's a women's college, but you also take Columbia classes and Columbia students take Barnard classes (and you live in NYC), so I don't feel isolated or overwhelmed by estrogen. People are, in my experience, kind, passionate, and super driven and successful. Occasionally it gets a bit too politically heated--it's a pretty liberal campus, and sometimes students are outrageously politically correct to the point of policing their peers--but not everyone is so outspoken and extreme. Most people are respectful and thoughtful and willing to discuss (or not, if you don't want to talk). Overall, I'm really glad I chose Barnard.

A

I like it. Very diverse place. Nothing like you’ve seen before. And hard academics- it is nice having the option to take classes at Barnard and/or Columbia. There really is so many classes to choose from!! It is a pretty accommodating school. And not such a terrible location :)

Zoe

I absolutely love Barnard. For me, it is the perfect combination of a women's college, Ivy League education, liberal arts school, and big research institution due to its relationship with Columbia. Barnard is also in New York City and I can not think of a better "college town." I could not be happier.

Naledi

Meredith

Barnard is unbelievable. There is no other school like it. Barnard students get the best of both worlds. We are part of a small liberal arts college focused on furthering the education and status of women, but we have complete access to a large research university, Columbia University. We have New York City at our fingertips, and have endless opportunities to make a difference on our campus and in our community. Barnard women are strong, passionate, and supportive, and we take a lot of pride in our little corner of the greatest city in the world.

Caroline

I love it here at Barnard! I feel as though the community is very open accepting. There is an extremely liberal climate which I really appreciate. There are also many great services like counseling and great primary care physicians. Everywhere you go, you know you'll be greeted with understanding and a warm smile; that's just how people are here. The only thing I would change would be the quality of the food and number of vegetarian options!

N

The experience I had at Barnard was one of my greatest blessings. From the faculty, to my courses, to my friends, I was constantly pushed and inspired to become a better woman. Being at Barnard helped me to find my path in the world and determine how I wanted to walk it.

Lyda

It is a great college with the pros of a small college but the resources of a big university. There is a good environmental on campus and so far great classroom experiences. The professors are very available and here is a lot of resources for students to go to when seeking help. The student body also is great.

Carla

Barnard College is a wonderful Liberal Arts Women's College. You are surrounded by incredible, driven and welcoming women with diverse backgrounds, majors and opinions. Barnard is also unique in its partnership with Columbia University. Although Barnard does not have its own sports teams or greek life, you are able to take part in Columbia's teams and extracurricular activities. You are also able to use the facilities available on both campuses and take classes wherever you feel most comfortable. It provides a very strong education in one of the best cities in the world! You can study in cafes around campus, explore Times Square or take a walk in Central Park. I highly recommend Barnard College.

Sara

Barnard College is an incredible school and I suggest that if anyone has the opportunity to attend this institution should go. All my classes have been incredible and my professors have been so accommodating with any questions or struggles in a class. Barnard propels you to do your best!