Miami, FL
Barry University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Barry University

Theresa

Barry University is one of the best universities in the state of Florida. One of the major benefits is that the school is well accredited. The classes at Barry University are small (about 30 students max per class). The benefit of having small classes is the one on one assistance from the professors which allows you to learn and understand the material even more. There are not much parties that happen on Barry Campus. However, there are a lot of Barry Pride events such as basketball games, comedy shows, movie nights etc. The one thing I would change about Barry are some of the staff members. While there are a lot of helpful faculty on campus, there are a few with somewhat of a bad attitude.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Barry University is highly involved in sports. There are Basketball teams, Baseball, Tennis, Golf etc. that do well ever year!

What do students complain about most?

Most students tend to complain about the cost of tuition at Barry University

Describe the dorms.

There are a few dorms at Barry University: Kolasa Hall, Bennicasa Hall, D&D, MD, Sage Hall, Brown Hall & Holly House (to name a few). Most of the dorms consist of two to four persons per room. Kolasa allows two persons per room with two closests and one private bathroom. In Halls such as D&D hall, there are community bathrooms. However, single rooms are made available in Kolasa, Bennicasa and Holly House.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to Barry because of it's location and also because of the class size. With a class of about 30 and under it allows you to have a one on one contact with your professors about any problem you may have. The people are also friendly!

The most popular student activities on campus are related to the different student groups. For example there is the CSA (Caribbean Student Association) which not only has Caribbean students but also other students from around the world. In this group, students have a family away from home. Meetings are scheduled to discuss any upcoming events on campus. There are also different activities for students residing in the dorms such as battle of the dorms where the different halls compete against one another.

Barry University is a very diverse school with students from all over the world. Because it is so diverse, you get to learn about many parts of the world you've only heard about in magazines or seen on television commercials!

At Barry the classes are very small so the professors tend to know you by name. Participation is very common and is sometime used as a percentage of your final grade. I am currently involve in the School of Business because I am an accounting major. The courses in this department is not difficult once you put time into your studies. The professors are eager to help you.

The perception of stereotype at Barry maybe the fraternities and international students. While it is true that these stereotypes are located on campus, there is no separation between the student body.

vanessa

I don't know exactly because they are so many building.They have the Health and Science for the pre-med and nursing.Garner that is for education,The Quadrian hall that is for the Art. Andres that is the school for busniss and so many other building . I am not so sure about what it is for sure in my opinion i will say it is for Art and the Medical field.

If I could go back to give myself advice.I would say to take more college classes and enjoy the freedom while i jcan because in colllege there is no time for fun,because we have alot of work .While i am still in High school make suer to work hard give hundred percent she is doing.She have to prepare herself for the future read book that will help her in the field that she i s going to study make sure she pass all of her testes and classes,do good in the SAT and ACT because does test help with your classes. She need to spend time and the library to study and work on her vocabulary and writing essays because does will be pretty helpfull in English Speech and Pschycology classes.

I love the school because they give the student a lot of opportunities like in financial.Their is a class for the freshman.They teach us howto manage your college live and social live at the same time. They are labs were you can go for help if you need it, they help you with homework and testes.The writing lab is were the students go for help when they have papers to write for class.The classes are small it's a benefit for the students because the teachers know your names and have time to help the students .

James

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

The sports scene is very much alive. Students are very dedicated to the sports teams. The games are always swarming with crazed fans who have made it routine to go to every game possible just to root for their home team and the players they're connected to through friendship.

When you step off campus what do you see?

When I step off campus I see the local elementary school and middle class neighborhood homes.

The aura of Barry's campus is amazingly unique. At night the sky that covers the campus is beautiful and the lighting of the clouds is almost this purple tint that is mesmerizing. I love the scenery as well with the palm trees swaying in the breeze.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms are very balanced. Whether you're a loner or an outgoing person, you will fit in just fine. If you want to find some friends you will do so in minutes of moving in; however, it is not hard to keep to yourself and have some quiet privacy. I like to indulge in both sides of these living condition extremes. The dorm life is balanced.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to Barry because of the location. Barry being located in Miami would put me in a very vibrant area if I attended. I did not want to be located in a dull area because on the weekends I like to go out and experience some fun. Also, my family does not live too far from the campus.

What are your classes like?

My classes are extremely informative. I couldn't ask for more. The professors are inolved and knowledgable of the subject they teach. Classes at Barry are in a calm, yet professional environment. I feel that's the best balance possible.

The most popular team on campus would be the tennis team. The soccer and volleyball teams also have a popular reputation at Barry. I am currently not in any group at Barry because I like to just stick strictly to my studies; however, there are numerous groups to get involved in. The dorms are a little quiet, but you do have your social butterflies who go back and forth between dorms to hang out with friends. Some people do keep their doors open. Athletic events attract huge crowds and they are taken very seriously. The fans are fans of dedication. Barry has frequent guest speakers and comedians who put on stand up shows. The dating scene is in motion no doubt about it, but you do have a lot of single, youngle adults who are ready to mingle and meet new friends. Some of my closest friends I met from being in class, or living in the same dorm hall with them. People party almost every day, but off campus in the club scene. Tuesday, 2am, I'm probably roaming the dorms looking for people to hang with or I am asleep. There are some frats and sororities that are taken very seriously, but they're not the most popular thing on campus. Saturday night you can get together wih friends and watch movies in the dorm lounges, go swimming at the campus pool, or set up board games to play in someone's room. You can have a great time and keep it alcohol free. Off campus I enjoy going to the mall, movies, or the beach. Also, the art and fashion district of Miami is awesome to check out.

Barry University is one of the most diverse universities around. We have students from all countries enrolled on campus. Honestly, no student should ever feel out of place at Barry. The population is a melting pot. The class attire tends to vary. You have students who like to look professional, sporty, casual, or some even wear pajamas. Whatever look you choose will be fine. Students of all majors and races bond together to form good relationships and friendships. Predominately, students are local residents, but a large majority of the students come from other states. Some students like it here so much that they make Barry and Miami their new home, and become local residents as well. You do have your handful of politcally active and aware students, but they do not overwhelm the population.

The stereotype of students at my school is that they are all conceited and spoiled. This stereotype can appear true because the students on campus are fashion oriented and make an effort to come across as lavish. However, if you get to know some of the students, and look past appearances, you will find out that they might be some of the most down to earth people you will ever encounter.

Jose

For me, my overall opinion has been good. Since the school is private, you really do get a one on one type of experience with the faculty and they are always open to help you. One of the downfalls though is the price of admission. It is a bit pricey, but Barry does offer scholarships as well as other aide. The surrounding town is not the nicest place, but you are relativley close to the Miami Beach area, which is known to be fun and lively. Most of my time is spent probably in the computer labs and in Lehman which is a building that houses the gym, the cafeteria, the grill, and the comuter lounge. I have also been involved in the newspaper which was a fun experience, and there are many groups and events that students can get involved in.

The academics at Barry are great. As I have said before, because it is a private school, the teacher student relationship is very usefull. Teachers are open to spending individual time with all of their students and are truly out to help you. As an English major, all of the professors know me by name and wave and say hello. The participation in classes is generally required as the classes are smaller, so you would be better off studying and preparing for class. As far as the course work and testing it varies greatly on the professor, but like any school, it is all geared towards preparing you for getting a job and earning knowledge.

At Barry University, there are no real stereotypes such as jocks and frat kids. Although there are individual groups, it is not the type of situation in which they are not open to speak to other students. Some of the prevelant groups would be the athletes, who are all very close because of the time they spend together. There are sororitiesa and fraternities, but they are not the beer drinking bully stereotype you see in movies. All in all, Barry functions more as a diverese communitie where there are inidividual groups, but everyone is open to sharing and working together.

The best thing about this school is the small class sizes. There are usually about 20-25 students in a class which makes it an easier environment to learn in. The campus is a good size, taking about 15 minutes to walk from one end of the campus to the other. The only bad thing about the campus is the neighborhood in which it is located. Its not a very good one. Overall, the professors are pretty decent, just a few that are bad. I spend most of my time in a building named Thompson Hall, where an Einstein bagels and Starbucks is located. As a commuter, if I am not in Thompson, you may find me in the commuter lounge, which is a place just for commuters where you can study, nap, eat, and watch television. When telling people that I attend Barry University, the response is usually a positive one.

In comparison to other colleges, there isn't all that much to do on campus. There a few athletic teams, like tennis, baseball, and basketball. There very few sororities and fraternities. There are a good amount of educaional clubs, however. I live of campus And so I do not know what goes on in the dorm scene.

The school is made up of mostly blacks and females. There are many many many international students. All people regaress of race and ethnicity and age, interact with each other.

I am a pre med major. The majority of my professors Know me by my name, but not all. My favorite class will end up being anatomy, which I will be taking in the upcoming semester. Class participation is definitely important. Some professors include it in the final grade. I hear students having intellectually conversations outside of class on multiple occasions, but not too often. I have never spent time with a professor outside of class. I feel that for my major, some of the academic requirements are a bit unnecessary, like botany and zoology for instance.

Idalia

There is no unity here at Barry University.

There is no unity here at Barry University.

If I could go back in time and give words of advice I definitely would have much to say. I would mention that this is a life changing experience and that every decision made should be taken in to consideration. Always make sure to look at your choices and weigh out the pros on consequences . I would also mention to fully prepare yourself and know that to be in college is to gain more knowledge and doing something productive with it. Never to give up and follow through in anything that you do. Anything you want is possible to achieve, just depends on your perserverance. I would also mention to join join clubs or any type of physical activities to produce happy endorphins. It is good to do hands on work and expand your experiences. Make sure to eat healthy and feed your brain! Take breaks when needed. Include family members especially when it comes to decision making they will never steer you wrong and most importantly they love you and want the best for you. It is imperative to study something you know you will enjoy doing or have a passion for.

I believe, in my opinion that Barry does not have many professors who are compassionate about their teachings. I believe that this is a reason as to why there is such a high rate of students who transfer or ultimately leave Barry. This is why I desperately would like to attend Humboltd State University because I know students are treated with respect and professors take into consideration that the students within their class are there to make a difference in the world. Much enthusiasm is shown by the professors and gives hope to future students of the world.

Odeline

Hey Odeline, I'm coming here to talk to you from the future and give you advice about college that will save you alot of heartache. Believe in yourself, stop doubting your abilities this sec!, and trust me you will make it. You need to stop procrasinating, being afraid of asking for help, and being in denial of becoming an adult. I hope your taking notes because I'm about to enclose strategies to execute the above tips I just mentioned earlier. You need to start setting long term goals for your future as of your expected major, finance, and responsibilities becoming a young adult after highschool. Trust me the economy is crashing from gas prices, food, and just the basic way living comftably will rise to exceedingly levels. If you even have a thought of not futhering your education by attending college and choosing dead end jobs instead get it out your head now!. Start working on your weakness of mathematics by finding assistance in tutoring, start volunteering in local hospitals to get a better feel of your major in nursing, and start saving your money now because trust me there will be rainy days.

The best thing I consider about my school is the family based orientation. The couple times I been on campus was such a pleasure everyone treated me with open arms, the students gave me such helpful advice, and made me feel very welcomed.

I don't wish to no anything more than I already know. This is a great college that I would suggest to any and everybody who wants to be successful in life.

celestin

I have learned how to be responsible in life and also teaches me how to be a leader instead of a follower. I used to be a procrastinator when i was in the military, but i saw everything in a different perpective when i started college. One's can't be procrastinated in college otherwise you will never pass certain classes. Nowdays even those with a higher level of education can't get a job, so me being in college is valuable for me in every sense of the word, and i expect to get a job out there when i graduate.

I attentented high school in Haiti. My school was diversified when it comes to whom should attend it..

Jordan

A private catholic university that strives to develope its' students into strong successful adults.

One thing that I would not have been able to find anywhere else is my overall experience, I have learned so much over the past year and a half, abouIt myself as well as others. It has been an experience where I have discovered a lot about myself and about society. I have grown up a lot in the short amount of time that I have attended Barry University, but the culture and diversity has made Barry University a valuable place to attend.

Anyone that wants to work hard and make something of themselves should be able to attend this school.

Maria

Barry University is a school like no other it's replete with joy and alot of friendly people that are willing to help you on what ever you need.

Barry University's enviroment is what makes it unique it has a nice aspect replete with palm trees and a nice breeze that makes you feel like you are in vacation everyday.

I have receieved a pleathora of things from my first year of college experience, and they are: i became more dependent of myself, i leared to make my own decisions, manage my time and also became more responsible with my life and my things. Also i learned that the college life is like no other and you only get a one chance to enjoy it and also that it's the path to a better life replete with knowledge and a better job.

Barry University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.