Barry University

« See more reviews of Barry University

I lived on-campus for the four years I attended Barry University. From my experience, I advice parents and students to visit the college, research the area, and learn about the accreditation of the university and the school of interest attending. These are key factors to know before selecting a college to attend because many schools are not accredited, even though the university has an accreditation. This can cause problems in the long-run because graduate schools require the undergraduate school to have a specific accreditation. Additionally, the best advice I can give anyone is to live on-campus. Campus life gives students the overall college experience because they have all the resources they need to succeed in school. For instance, students who live on campus attend the labs, where tutors assist students with their homework. Also, I noticed that students who participate in extracurricular activities are those who reside in the dorms. Furthermore, students are able to meet their classmates and make friends forever, since they spend more time together: in the cafeteria, library, study groups, etc. Moreover, residing in the dorms allows students to become independent and grow personally and professionally.

If I was able to go back in time of my high school senior year, I would remind myself the importance of high school memories. During highschool, my primary intentions were to finish my high school credits and graduate within the specific time frame. I did not give myself enough opportunities to enjoy school spirit with my classmates and chose to turn my entire focus on my graduation date instead. I would definitly warn myself to take the time to not only join afterschool activites but savor the special moments with my high school peers because it does only happen once in a lifetime. Despite my invovlement with Dwight Morrow/Academies@Englewood Marching Band, Chorus, the National Coalition of 100 Black Women Inc. and etc.; I felt like I could have done more volunteer work with a better optimistic attitude instead of viewing them as mandatory high school requirements. Yes it is important to follow and finish the high school requirements in order to graduate; However, it is just as important to gain the positive emotional attachement of the final stages of childhood before becoming an adult in the real world because every individual has only one lifetime to live.

As my college days soon come to an end the best advice I can give students and parents in finding the right college is to visit colleges. A college education is such an important investment that should not be based on the glossy brochures filled with beautiful landscapes. Take a tour, get a feel for what the environment is really like. I recommend students to take guided tours at different times of the day and talk to students. Many colleges and universities have an open campus policy. Visit on your own and talk to anyone you see, you may be surprised at how different the responses may be compared to the students you encountered with the tour guide. Also, get involved around campus but maintain a balance between your social activities and your studies. It can get overwhelming when you have a schedule full of extracurricular activities, exams, homework, and group projects. One last piece of advice is to network. Whether it is among professors, classmates, or employers that may visit during career fairs, networking will be your key to landing a career once you have completed the journey of what it is to be a college student.

As a senior at Barry University, I would like to advise you about making one of the many important decisions of your lives, which is choosing the right college/university. First of all, you need to figure out what your intended major would be during your college years, so you will be able to narrow down your search to schools that offer your intended major. In addition, you will be to search for schools that have exceptional programs in your major. Once, you have found the schools that offer your intended major take the time to evaluate their program, along with contacting the chairperson of the program in order to get more information. Second of all, try to find out the student-teacher ratio because if you are a type of person that need the one on one interaction with your professor than a smaller university/college would be perfect for you, but you are not into that than a large university/college is perfect for you. Finally, to make the most of your college experience is by joining clubs and take advantage all of the services your perspective school offers you to excel academically. Best wishes, Stephania P. Desir

I am done with high school and currently in college, but there is one thing I must continue to accomplish. Taking control of the moment. Seizing the moment can be as simple stepping out of your comfort zone to visit a professor during office hours or doing your homework to have time available for your laundry. It seems like practical, but every small decision after high school is practical because you are an adult. Seize the moment over the summer by going to work with a joyful attitude, applying for every scholarship with a positive mindset before and after you complete it. I will be going into my third year and truly say I have yet to master or become an expert at one specific character trait. However, by the time I graduate I want to be able to say my time management skills are one of my biggest strengths. When you graduate, be sure to just be yourself too. Attending college will be life changing. Without maintaining your true personality, you will look in the mirror not recognizing the person in the mirror. To avoid this soul searching process, surround yourself with people that will always build you up.

Hey Odeline, I'm coming here to talk to you from the future and give you advice about college that will save you alot of heartache. Believe in yourself, stop doubting your abilities this sec!, and trust me you will make it. You need to stop procrasinating, being afraid of asking for help, and being in denial of becoming an adult. I hope your taking notes because I'm about to enclose strategies to execute the above tips I just mentioned earlier. You need to start setting long term goals for your future as of your expected major, finance, and responsibilities becoming a young adult after highschool. Trust me the economy is crashing from gas prices, food, and just the basic way living comftably will rise to exceedingly levels. If you even have a thought of not futhering your education by attending college and choosing dead end jobs instead get it out your head now!. Start working on your weakness of mathematics by finding assistance in tutoring, start volunteering in local hospitals to get a better feel of your major in nursing, and start saving your money now because trust me there will be rainy days.

I would tell the parents and the students to search for schools that has the students desire student -teacher ratio meaning if they prefer being in small classes, then they need to look for schools that have a small to medium size population. Secondly, they should go to on the campus tour of the school they are interesting in. By going on the tour they will get more then learning about the different buildings and the services that are provided to the students; however the parents and students can take the time to the chairperson of the students desire major. That way the parents and the students can learn about the services that the department provide to their students, as well as to talk with the students in the program about their perspective of the program. The second advice I would give the students is to take advantage of the services at their school and join clubs that suite their interests. In addition, they need to take the time to learn about arrange services their school provide for them to go to the beach, amusement park, shopping centers, and any location near or far from their schools.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, if I had the opportunity to go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have some valuable advice to pass on. First, I would encourage myself to stay focused, get good grades and to apply for as many scholarships as possible. Being financially ready for college and getting good grades is a big transition. You never really understand the value of education until you start paying a price for it. It is easy to take education for granted when you attend public school and no one really has a talk with you about college and all it entails. Secondly, if you start to prepare yourself now, the transition would be a lot smoother. College is not really that much different from high school if you keep your schoolwork first and prioritize by keeping a schedule/planner from now. Last, I would tell myself that college is going to make you into a strong, smart, and driven individual who has goals that are attainable because of everything that you learned in college, and from the lasting relationships made.

When selecting the right school for you, always keep in mind what it is you truly would like to get out of your college experience. Make sure that you always have your future career path on your mind, even if one decides to enroll as an undecided major. Nobody wants to wake up in the morning and hate what they do for a living, so follow your dreams and do what makes you happy. This bit of advice goes for both parents and students because in today's world, anything is possible. Always remember the point of college is to put yourself in the best possible position to accomplish your goals. I myself am going to school to obtain a degree that revolves around the Scuba Diving Industry, something I never thought existed. Luckily for me, I have a loving support system in my family and friends and looked long and hard for the school that would help me achieve greatness in my field. Also, keep in mind that your surrounding can directy affect your ability to learn. Choose a school in an area you can see yourself striving in. Most importantly, remain focused because the fun will always come.

The advice I would give myself, if I could go back in time to my senior year, about the transition I would be encountering upon entering college life would be an amazing gift. My first words uttered would be the best and most important. You must learn as much as possible, be a sponge, never stop learning. When I speak of learning , I speak of it in all realms of your life; learn in the classroom, learn in life, learn in the value of experience and observation. You can open your life to new horizons by considering other ideas before making a choice . One simple idea or thought, along with your approach or attitude may change your whole life. The path or road you choose may depend on how you process the advice that was given to you. It is better to travel that double road as one and use the wisdom and experience to keep challenging yourself. It is often said , "Your parents become wiser the older you get." Mountains of wisdom are hidden in other people's experiences. It would be a wonderful advantage for you to spend this short time now to build for your future.