Barry University

« See more reviews of Barry University

Finding the right college is not an easy task. In order to make the best decision possible for yourself or your children, you must first ask yourself,or them, a few basic questions. First I would ask,"what kind of degree are you seeking?", this will narrow schools down depending on how good they are in directing you to the best path for your future. For example, I applied to many schools and got into about 70% of them, but in the end I chose Barry University because its business program is very honorable compared to the other choices, and i am a business major. Next, I would ask, " Are you more of a social person, or an independant person?" This will help dramatically narrow choices because a lot of big, social schools especially ones that have prominent greek life tend to outcast students who are not as active on campus as they are. Barry university has greek life, but a majority of the students are just average students. If your a social outgoing person, a bigger school may be better, If not , then a smaller school. In the end figuring out what kind of person you are will help.

when deciding what college to choose i t hink it is really important to have in mind the majors and careers they offer. how long to complete it, the credits, courses and the degree you would obtain after you are done with the programs. research the academic credentials, any internship opportunities, and specializations. also it is really important the location. if you do not like cold weather then you should probably attend a college in warm cities or where it does not snow. in addition, if you want to stay close to your family and friends then go to a college not to far away from your family and know if they offer on- campus housing. Also, class size, do some research about the average calss size of the college. if you are like me I prefer classes with no more than 30 students. in addition, know if the college you plan to attend have any financial aid, scholarship, grants, or work- study. if you play any sport find out if they give scholarships and grants for playing sports. finally visit the college this way you can decide if you like it or not and obtain more information.

Adequately research the schools and rate the pros and cons, also do not settle financially, if you have the grades and the ability to pursue a 4-year degree, have been active during your high school career then search for schools that will be happy to have you attend their college (happiness shown by the way you are treated, the package that you are offered). Definitely visit the school, if you can, before making your final decision. Schools may sound wonderful on paper, but since it is a location that you will be staying at for 4 years then it should be a place that you feel comfortable with and/or love. Definitely check on the transportation options to and from the schools and costs for off-campus housing (dorming on campus, while a wonderful opportunity, is costly). I think it is great to live on-campus for your first year to reduce transition and adjustment issues, but as a young adult growing you may want to find your own place after that. If you choose not to move off-campus - then apply for Resident Assistantships - which grants you free dorm and maybe a small stipend.

For parents, I would advise them to not get over involved with their children's college decision, every student should attend a college or university because THEY want to not because of influence. For students, DO NOT disregard a college because it is too far away from home. College has been one of the best experiences of my life and I am over 1,000 miles away. Also, dont apply to a college just because it is well known, look long and hard and find a college or university that is right for you. You may not know a lot about it but if you research and after you attend orientation its an almost guaruntee that you love it . I had never heard of Barry University but I love it here, it's the most cultural and racial diverse school in the country and has amazing NCAA teams. Finally, ALWAYS keep prices in mind, although loans are available, look for colleges and universities in your price range. It's much easier to transfer to a college once you've established an collegiate academic record and get scholarships than applying to an expensive college as a freshman.

College life can be pretty rough on a young student like myself. Entering college I did not know exactly what to expect but I wish I had known. That being said, if I could go back in time and converse with myself as a high school senior, I would attempt to give the best advice that a nineteen year old could give. First and foremost, I would tell myself no to rush. Recently before entering Barry University, I felt incredibly rushed with college business such as applications, essays, etc. Many of my friends were already being accepted to their favorite colleges and universities which put a significant amount of pressure on me. I also felt incredible pressure from my parents to hurry up and decide what I wanted to do in my life. No one should force you to make your own decisions. You need to live for you and only you. Do not try to live for someone else. Ever. I would've liked to prevent myself from making those mistakes again. But now that I think about it, the mistakes that I made as a high school senior made me the strong person that I am now.

If I could go back in time and give words of advice I definitely would have much to say. I would mention that this is a life changing experience and that every decision made should be taken in to consideration. Always make sure to look at your choices and weigh out the pros on consequences . I would also mention to fully prepare yourself and know that to be in college is to gain more knowledge and doing something productive with it. Never to give up and follow through in anything that you do. Anything you want is possible to achieve, just depends on your perserverance. I would also mention to join join clubs or any type of physical activities to produce happy endorphins. It is good to do hands on work and expand your experiences. Make sure to eat healthy and feed your brain! Take breaks when needed. Include family members especially when it comes to decision making they will never steer you wrong and most importantly they love you and want the best for you. It is imperative to study something you know you will enjoy doing or have a passion for.

Hey Self, transitioning to college life isn't so bad. Don't give up, no matter the situation. Participate in as many organizations in school and in the community as you can. Money is an important part in you education. Apply for as many scholarships as you can. Do them before due date and please don't get discouraged when you don't win a scholarships. Apply for work-study or a part-time job. It will help in the long run. Have a saving account to help payback for those loans if you have to take loans. Networking is important too. So that means, networking, time management, applying for scholarships/grants and getting a job will help you. There are many things you're going to learn and experience. By the way, don't forget you physical, spiritual, and mental health. It might not be a big deal now, but it is vital. You don't want to be a "Zombie". This means that you don't want to be sluggish and not energetic---unhealthy state. Balance is key. This is a alot, but this should help you to consider what you want for your furture. Good luck Self.

I graduated from Classical high school in Springfield, Massachussetts in 1979. As a senior I would enjoy my last year of high school and be prepared to work hard, be organized, have a plan for idependence; freedom is your opportunity to show your maturity. Flexibility is everything when you are in a new environment. Be prepared to change your entire career path. Diversity is very important. Save as much money as possible because you will need it. Starting college is my job for the next four years or more. College is my opportunity to become successful in whatever field of study I decide to pursue. Be prepared to network in college because you will have an opportunity to make lifelong friendships and business connections. I am given an opportunity to pursue a higher education that will make me financially and socially independent. Have fun but always be serious about your education. Most importantly, stay physically fit, eat properly, get your proper rest and don't let anything interfere with your volunteering and networking.

Life in high school was more about peer acceptance and less focus on the academic component. The friends would spend time socializing, not paying attention to the teachers, thus neglecting the schoolwork. We were never ready for exam because we did not take time to study, but at the last moment. The advice that I would give to myself is not to wait at the last moment to complete school assignments and study for exam. There is a time to hang out with friends and there is a time for school work. I would give priority to my education rather than peers. When missing on basic components of certain subjects in high school like English or math, the student would have difficulty in college understanding such subject. The college instructors often reply "you should have known that from high school" . As a result, subjects that should have been easy in college now become difficult and the academic performance is affected. Now I invest more time and effort into my education. I feel more comfortable taking my exams and maintaining my GPA.

Pick a school major and stick to it. Because, I wasn't sure of what I wanted to do it caused me to switch many times which caused me to remain in school for a longer period of time. If you received a refund from the government, don't spend it frivolously but invest in CDs in a bank or a savings account that you can't touch because when you really need the money you will struggle to find it. I would definitely complete the 2+2 program which is when you complete 2years at a community college and 2years at a university. Community colleges offer the same education and sometimes the professors work at the local university and community college. I would definitely say if you are getting a car after high school to get a inexensive BRAND new car (honda, toyota, or nissan) because for at least 3yrs you will have a guarantee and the car will be in good condition without having to worry if it will get you to your clinical site. Do not fail classes because of friends and do all extra credit whether you are doing good in the class or not!