Barry University

« See more reviews of Barry University

Hi my name is Jahmal Steen I’m 21 years old. I was born in Columbia South Carolina and my birthday is October 9 1991. I'm a Junior At Barry University. The things that I want to talk about are the hard ship of how my strength have overcome me, interest and the values such as my characteristics. First, I want to talk about hardship of how my strength have overcome me such as financial aid. The financial aid is good to get it because I”m having a hard time with money for school. I stay in a single parent home and its been a struggle to pay this school off because my dad won't contribute anything to the table. For school its expensive because I have to buy books, supplies, pay for a dorm and tuition. Second, I want to talk about the activities that I do such as sport and clubs at school. For sports I ran track all throughout high school. My events for track were 800m dash, 1600m (a mile) and 3200m (2 mile). My best time in the 800m, 1600m .

I would tell the students to be completely honest with themselves and with what they really want out of their college experience. Picking the college that fits your personality best is extremely important. If you know that you have trouble balancing work and play time, know your limits and avoid schools known for their partying. Only the student knows exactly what they want out of the next fours years in their life. Additionally, college is what you make it. To make the most out of your college experience, do not just sit around and wait for events to come to you. Get out of your room and get involved on campus. That alone will help you make friends and find things to do. My advice is to make things happen for yourself. As a wise person once said, " You can best predict your future by creating it." Be true to yourself and you will be fine in the process of choosing a school and experiencing the best four years of your life.

If i was to go back to my high school days , i will tell myself to love myself dearly. Embrace every moment of character development and flaws of mines. Dont let Society numb you in such way you are limiting your self from the real world. Take advatange of your resources , extra credit and tutors. You are the key to your own success. Write yourself letters a journal and i is good to read when you are in college to see how you have grown. Dont let moments of poverty, violence or insecurities win victory over you. You are my future , my generation and my truth. What you enjoy in high school you wont like tomorrow. When you reflect in life you will laugh and be embarassed in how nieve or wild you were. Love thyself, Self awareness and appriciation is something i lacked on ,and if i had a chance to rewind into high school . I will give myself a hug and tell myself how important it is for me to accept myself in every way .

In order in picking the right college, the student must apply to as many schools as possible. Deciding which school to apply to includes a couple of factors. One, most importantly, is if you have an idea on what career path you'd choose, you must apply to schools that are able to offer it. However, many students tend to change their majors upon entering a new school, therefore a university with many options is useful. Also, it is necessary to decide how big of a school you'd like to go to. There are many small schools, as well as medium-sized and large schools. Location of the school is quite efficient. If you find it easier to go to class when the weather is warmer then choose from schools in the south. Visiting schools are key. In most cases, you're acceptance rate becomes higher. Also it will give you a better feeling of the area. It is then easier to decide whether or not you'd be happy and able to live there.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition , I would tell myself to relax and enjoy myself a little more. When I started college I was very uptight and anxious about the transition, which caused me to be closed and to myself. When entering college, a person should stay positive and be open to all the new possibilities and opportunities that come their way. Worrying about everything and not opening up causes the person to miss out on those oppportunities, like I did. Eventually I got over it, but by then I had missed out on some wonderful opportunities. All I did was study, study, study and had no time to myself, to enjoy myself. That actually caused more stress on me. If I could go back, I would tell myself to enjoy college, open up to people, take every opportunity you're offered, and have a good time.

I am a country girl from the small town of Mableton Georgia, where diversity is limited and racism is still alive. Growing up I always wanted to break free and explore the world around me, when I got accepted into Barry University I did not know what to expect. My freshman year I was so shocked when I came to Barry because the school was diverse, in Mableton you were either Black, White, or Hispanic, but at Barry everyone was different. Immediately I fell in love with my school because diversity was alive and racism was limited. One thing Barry University has taught me is to love my neighbor because, at the end of the day no matter what color, ethnicity, gender, age, or religion we are all human beings. Barry has been valuable for me to attend because it has introduced me to diverse people and Barry has also provided me wonderful network opportunities so I can succeed in my professional life.

Parents should give advice to their kids about making the right college decision. I went through that experience and I could say that I was somewhat scared about entering a new stage in my life. A parent's support is the best comfort for students beginning college. It is best to make college visits, and then when it comes time to make a decision, pick the best college that suits the student's liking. The student should be able to feel comfortable and secure in a new type of setting. To make most of the college experience a student should come prepared into a new college to succeed and leave a mark on campus, so that student can be remembered when they leave. That is why is it best to get involved in clubs and activities and in the campus community. But it is important to never ignore your daily duties and to never forget why you are attending college.

Out of my college experience so far, as an undergraduate; I have gained strength and independence. I believe those are the two key inner powers you need to make it through years of college. You have to be able to take the things they give you, also the important things you learn and consume it, live with it, and apply it to your future. Stress will be your best friend, but with strength you will over power your inner demons, and learn to take charge, and that's where independence comes in. No one is going to hold your hand 24/7, walking you through your 4 years of college. YOU will have to hold your own hand through the good times and bad and YOU will walk yourself through your four years of learning and growing. YOU have to make each day valuable during your college life and experiences, like I have learned to do.

Finding the right college is important, but sometimes unexpected. I had a lot of ideas about what school I wanted to go to and where that was, but things changed at the last minute and I ended up at a school that I feel completely at home at. I've made great friends and have had great experiences at Barry and I really am compltetly content with my decision. Education is so important, so my advice is this; Don't pick a school based on a social scene. Instead, find a school with a program that you're passionate about. There is no point in spending all of this money on going to school, to party and your education is worthless if you're not passionate about what it is you're studying. You'll make friends and find things to do anywhere you go, so pick a school where you'll get an education thats right for you.

Don't let the lack of money determine your future! My Mom, as a single parent, has been totally gaffed her entire life, most recently having been laid off of her job of 15 years. Yet, here I am a sophomore in college! IT CAN BE DONE. I worked hard all through high school, took advantage of the high school college counselor, the internet, library, etc., and as a result, got a pretty decent offer from my college. I now work hard in college and am on my way to a degree in nursing. It's hard, too. If you're a partier, don't bother. Student loans to payoff after you get kicked out for drinking???? Seriously, THREE kids got kicked out of my school last year, not to mention the ones who just plain flunked out. Get ready.....it's hard. But it's YOUR future.