Barry University

« See more reviews of Barry University

I really think that the best advide in your first year of your studies is to find a balence. Balence between academics, activities, and a social life will really help you get the most out of your expirence. In picking which school is right for every individual the best thing to do is the expirence the campus. Sit in on a lecture, look through all the courses, talk to current students and most important walk around the campus and see if it feels right. Listen to your gut, and you will know what school is right for you. However, the worse thing you could do is pick a school based around other people's wants, needs, and opinions.

It's easy to understand when your parents tell you that you will appreciate things more when you are the one paying for it. That statement is very true. I believe that I have spent too much money thus far on my education to play around. This school has helped me to become more responsible and to not take my education for granted. Though I may hang out with my friends/classmates, I never make it a point to choose parting over studying because I know that I am in school for a reason. My college experience thus far has been full of tears of both joy and pain but with every tear shed I find my self closer and closer to my goal.

The advice I would give to myself would be to make sure that I had enough financial assistance to help aid my future scholastic endeavors. In addition, I would further advise to become prepared for the grueling pain of not having contact with family members should the institution be further away from home. I would further advise that II should take all the high challenging courses that the high school offers and to study day and night for the SAT and/or ACT to help further the chances of recieving funding for school. Lastly , I would advise that I should become more involved with the community by community service.

I would tell myself not to worry so much. Worrying caused a lot of uneeded stress and I would save myself from trying to take on so much, you can't be the perfect student. I would also tell myself to think long and hard about my major. I would've made choices earlier and changed my major sooner. That would have taken away even more stress. Lastly, I would tell myself to keep busy and stay involved. I regret quitting certain clubs early, had I stayed I would've have been in charge now. Everything is worth the time and effort, yet I gave it up anyway. Those changes would have made the last year so much easier for me.

Attending college has helped me to understand my own capabilities as a student and a learner. It has destroyed cultural boundaries, as I am able to communicate with every person I see, whether it'd be an African American or a Middle Eastern. It has helped me to become more independent, competent, and responsible in my every day life. Overall, it has shaped me into a more understanding, open minded, individual. It has opened my eyes and to a better understanding of the world. I have learned to see that the differences that seperate us in culture are the differences that make us interesting and beautiful as people.

The most important advice I can ever give about finding the right school is to go and ask questions. Do research and make sure it is the one where you feel comfortable in. An educated choice is the best choice that can ever be made. When I visted Barry University I feel in love wth the hospotality of all the faculty and staff and in an instant I knew this is where I belonge. Many people frownded upon me for having choosen such a small private school that tends to be a bit more pricey then the neighboring community colleges of Miami but my response to that is, you just can not but a price on your education.

Damiana you should learn to organize your time the best you can because in college everything will be much more caotic, you will have a job,attend class,do homework and find some time to have fun or else you'll go crazy!Don't leave things for the last minute because procrastination just leads to stress and often the result of your work won't be as good as it would have been if you would have planned ahead.Don't be afraid of asking questions to teachers,classmates or counselors.Be prepared for a whole different scenario,that will shape you up and make you the adult you'll become.

I would talk to current students about the campus to get a general overview. After that I'd see how the college ranks among different undergraduate programs because statistics prove college students change their major frequently. So making sure the school has two-three things you might be interested in would be more beneficial. I would check out social programs throughout the school and what kind of academic help is available throughout the school. Furthermore, I would recommend you check local properties for rent because after awhile you do not want to live on campus.

Parents should be more supportive of their children. All parents want their children to go to college but when we need help paying for it, they become less attentive. Parents need to get involved and know how much is expected to be payed at the school. I strongly encourage getting to know your professors because recommendations for job positions will make you stand out. Don't throw your college life away drinking, you won't remember it, plus, too many young lives our being lost! I strongly believe in having a firm faith in Jesus, nothing is impossible for him.

My advice to parents and students would be to look for a place that feels right from the start. A college that from the minute you step on campus you know that you belong. You also want to make sure that financially you will be able to support your education for the next couple of years, consider your options and make sure you financially you are covered. As for your college experience, take each semester one at a time; enjoy all the on-campus activities, attend the weekend get aways, make friends and have fun! Before you know it, you will be graduating.