Barton College

« See more reviews of Barton College

If I could go back to give advice to my younger self, I would have a lot to say. Mainly, I would tell myself that high school is not the most important thing. The friends you make in college will be the ones that you will keep in touch with throughout life. It is hard to adjust to the college life-style but the most important thing is choosing a college that fits you. Pick a school that you know will give you the best advantage for succeeding later in life, whether it be a large or small environment. Remember to stay organized. Organization and time management skills are important keys to excelling in challenging courses. College classes are unlike high school classes. Teachers will not constantly remind you to do homework or remind you of upcoming tests. It is up to you to look after your best interests. Act responsibly but do not forget to enjoy the experience. Have fun and participate in campus activities. Getting involved in your school is the best way to make friends and learn more about adjusting to college life. Lastly, don't worry. Everything is gonna be just fine so enjoy the ride!

It’s inconceivable to motivate the direction of a high school senior, especially in matters where the individual is obtuse in matters of continuing their education. If given the chance, I’d take matters into an entirely different direction. I’d make the subject identifiable to this senior. The absence of an college degree quite simply is suffering. In delaying any attempt to further your marketable skills, you force your unrealized talents to be the slave driven by the economy of the grossest dregs. Such examples would involve working at McDonalds, digging ditches, (breaking your back), and being viewed as the small masses of the depraved and lazy citizens who garnish little or no respect. Ideally, the concept behind such a discussion is to help the individual realize just how close the wretched claws of oppression and suffering are close at hand. By instilling a tenable, and realistic fear, (which is the truth), the offspring of this realization will be to take accountable steps toward furthering their education. Be helpful in accomodating them in every daunting step.

If I could go back to high school the biggest advice I would give myself would be to have been in Student Government Association. I was a leader in high school and am a leader at Barton, but I think joining SGA would have been better. My leadership in high school dealt with only sports, but expanding my horizons back in high school would have helped me be more open about taking the chances given to me today. Through my first two years in college the only leadership I had was on the softball team, but when I realized I was not being myself I started to become a leader in different clubs and organizations throughout campus. Being in SGA specifically in high school would have given me the chance to change the school, even at a small level, and that is something I have decided I want to do in college. I want to make Barton a better place after I’m gone than it was when I first arrived. I believe I did that in high school, but I think I could have made a bigger change if I took the leadership opportunities when I had the chance.

If given the opportunity to go back to my senior year of high school, the first thing I would tell myself would be to enjoy every day I have there. I would try to convince myself to never take a single day for granted. I'd make sure to capture every moment of senior year in my iPhone, so that I could look at the thousands of pictures when I'm sitting alone in my dorm room. The safe, comforting feeling of being a "big fish in a little pond" is soemthing that you should cherish for as long as you can. The very first semester of college made high school seem like a breeze. I'd probably even scare my own self by saying, "...and you think you're stressed out now, just wait!", because it's the truth. College brings on all new stressors, making you realize that the things you stressed about in high school were usually petty. Most importantly, I would tell myself to let go of the past and whatever was holding me back from completely being happy, and to focus on every positive thing that shaped me into who I am today.

College is what you make it. I had heard this before I went to school from numerous people. I actually found a lot of truth in this statement. A student can make college exciting by making new friends and doing well, or he or she can make college miserable by sitting in his or her dorm room and becoming depressed. My advice for choosing a college is visit the campus and meet the residents of the college. Afterall, the students are the ones that can give you the REAL experiences and background of that particular college. For parents, being supportive of your child's decision of where he or she wants to attend college is critical. I mean in the long run, the child is the one who has to deal with the college for the next four years. Finding the right college is different for everyone, but for me, I knew I wanted a small college and a small professor to student ratio to gain more attention with my studies. These are things that should be thought about previously and researched before choosing a college.

Your high school senior year is supposed to be the time of your life, and for me it was. Senior activities, homecoming, dances, prom, graduation, all that good stuff. But, it's also supposed to be the year you transition yourself. The year you get ready for the day you enter the "real world". SAT's, ACT's, finals, scholarships, college applications. I had all that stuff ready to go, or so I thought. My entire senior year, I spent all my time having fun, that going to college was the last thing on my mind. Boy did I regret that. May of senior year, the month of graduation, I was told that I wouldn't be able to graduate, and I found out that I was 11 weeks pregnant. You could only imagine how I felt, and everything that was going through my mind. But, if I knew then, what I know now, I would tell myself not to wait. Don't procrastinate on your future. As a mom, I only want what's best for my daughter. So, I would also tell myself, that education is your key to a better future. Don't take it for granted.

Choosing where you want to go to college at is a very important decision that should not be taken lightly. My advice to all of the students and parents out there searching for the right college is to actually visit and take the time to learn about the good and bad things about each school your interested in. If you know what you want to do or what you want to major in, you should talk to a student who currently attends the college and see what they think about it. Some colleges may look pretty good when your listening to the orientation leaders or counselors, but are not what they seem after they have your money. Secondly, once you are in college it is important to have time management skills to organize yourself and to juggle sports, classes, and your social life. Getting involved in some type of club or organization is the key to meeting people and will help you to make the most of your colege experience while having fun. Don't be afraid to meet new people and to ask for help when you need it.

I grew up in a small town, and i recently moved to long beach for school. I have learned so much in these last few months, and i feel like college has made me grow into my own person. Comming from a small town you could say i was a bit sheltered, moving to the city has been a whirwind experience and i have loved every minute of it. I have delt with many new challenges both tramatizing and exciting and i'm looking forward to more challenges whether they are good or bad. I know that no matter what i go through or have already endured that i will just continue to gain strength and my own self identity. College has introduced me to many new people that i will hold close to me for the rest of my life. My roommate is a influential girl that has a great time but knows what she wants in life and is directed towards her goals. I have learned a lot from her alone and hope to meet more inspiring people along this wonderful journey. I would be so greatful if you would consider me for this opportunity.

Although selecting the college of your choice may seem easy, it can be very difficult. I found myself struggling between three colleges of my choice, but am so glad with the decision I made. The best advice I can give to anyone who is having trouble or is curious on how to choose the right college, is to tour the campus and ask yourself if you can really see yourself going there. Only you can be the judge of what you truely want in your college experience. The best way to make the most out of your college experience, is to just simply be open to meeting new people and getting involved! Even if you don't play a sport or want to join a fraternity/sorority, there are other options such as intramural sports, clubs, and other campus activities that help bring students together in the college community. Not only will being involved allow you to meet other people, but it will allow you to enjoy your college experience as well.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to stay pretty much the same when it comes to college life. I was an early college student so I was already in college classes at the age of 14. I would tell myself not to stress so much and too relax a little more. I would tell myself not to put limitations on anything—life, love, school, work or anything else. I would make sure I knew that I can do anything and that college at a four year school is almost the same as it was in high school. Just that the work is more strenuous. I would tell myself to continue to have my head on straight and not to stray from what I wanted. Although I love the college I go to, I would probably tell myself to apply to more schools. Maybe even an out of state school. I would make sure I knew that life goes on no matter what life throws at you. I would tell myself everything will be ok.