Bates College Top Questions

Donelle

Academics at Bates is definitely rigorous. You wont get away with not reading the required readings and then expect to ace the final, its just not going to happen! The most intense class I've ever taken was International Politics, the professor was so adaman

The academics at Bates are what you make of them. If you want, you can get by taking easy classes and not do much. However, if you chose a hard major and hard classes, you will definitely need to work to do well. The kids are studious and you won't find too many slackers. The students are not competitive with each other, and everyone minds their own business about grades. Because Bates is small, you can establish relationships with your teachers IF you make the effort.

Billy

very small classes, all professors knew my name. Many professors were informal and friendly and acted like 'real people,' not beings who were on an altogether higher plane than their students. Discussions occurred during almost every class period, and were frequently heated. The students are completely uncompetitive, almost every student would help, rather than hinder, a fellow student. My favorite departments were Physics, German/Russian, and Music My least favorite was Mathematics (widely accepted as a poor department) Physics is a very friendly, small department. Their were 7 professors for 7 majors in my graduating class There was definitely a physics camaraderie, developed from small classes, jointly accomplished homework assignments, frequent lectures by outside speakers, and shared lab space Education is definitely geared towards learning for its own sake, as opposed to towards getting a job.

I've taken 16 classes, and all but 2 of my professors knew my name. I've been so impressed with the professors, especially in the psychology department. Every professor is so enthusiastic about the classes that he or she teaches, and that has a huge impact on the students. I'm a psych major, and I took a class called Motivation and Emotion (a biopsych class) which was the best class I've taken at Bates. I never had any interest in the biological bases of psychology, but this class and my professor's enthusiasm and encouragement turned me into a biopysch major. Professors are very accessible and willing to help--they want you to come to them when you're having trouble. It shows them that you care and that you really want to understand the material. I honestly don't think I would have made it through some of my classes if I didn't stop by my professors' offices on several occasions. I think it's also important to note that professors are equally as excited to talk about your interests and experiences; I've spent a great deal of time talking to my professors about mutual interests and aspirations. One of my professors, who's the chair of the neuroscience department, suggested that I (not a neuro major) speak to him about figuring out a potential path for the rest of college and beyond. I don't know why he took such an interest in my choices, but it was so encouraging and reassuring and made me realize how special Bates is. In my experience--and maybe this is just because I'm a psych major--the education is geared toward learning for its own sake. I've taken some classes that will not help me at all in terms of getting a job, but that have broadened my scope of interest and knowledge. It's refreshing to see professors teaching classes on subjects that may not lead directly to successful careers, but that they are passionate about. For the most part, students are very focused on their studies and spend a lot of time working. Students are competitive, but I find that we're competitive more with ourselves than with our peers. I always study in groups, and have found that everyone is willing to share their opinions, knowledge, and everyone is eager to help each other.

My professors always know my name- but it's the students that help me learn. Everyone loves to have intellectual conversations all of the time. It's not a competition, though, it's a free spirited sharing of ideas. I have know idea how I'm going to get a job, but I'm only a freshman so...

Some really great professors but the average Bates student is of only moderate intellect. Most Bates kids cheat and the library is a joke. Yes classes are usually small but all the professors live in Portland so they are never around.

Most people spend several days relaxing, and then spend an night frantically catching up. But it all gets done, and generally done well, because Batesies are good under pressure.

Students at Bates are not very competitive, but they are certainly studious and extremely hardworking. Bates's academic requirements are not strict and are easy to satisfy. Professors know your name. The biggest class you can possibly have at Bates would have 70 students, and that would happen only in a big science lecture. My average class size thus far has been under 20.

George

Every professor you've ever had (even for a big lecture class three years ago) remembers your name. Some professors even study their students' ID pictures before the first day of class so that they can call on people by name during the first few minutes of the first class. Creepy? Maybe. Awesome? Definitely. There are a lot of high-achievers here, but they're competitive with themselves, not with their classmates. You don't usually share your grades on individual assignments with friends unless you did poorly and want to ask for help. People usually only discuss grades they got in a course after they've completed the course and it's over and done with. For example, two of my closest friends won prestigious awards for academic achievement during the first year. I didn't even know about their honors until about a year later when I accidentally fell upon the press release! They were never grade-obsessed, always modest, just like everyone else. You can always find a friend in the library on a weeknight, but I feel like I've had more intellectual conversations in a friend's dorm room and in Commons (the dining hall) than in the library. The library's the place where most of the high-achievers spend lots of time pouring over their readings and notes. Of course, sometimes this is necessary. But students also work through their academics by discussing class topics over lunch with friends.

Dan

The academics at Bates are stellar. If you're worried about a small student population, just sit in on a class here. While introductory psychology class had about 90 students, the professor to student ratio is 10:1. Meeting with professors to discuss a class, how you plan to graduate, or the weather couldn't be easier at Bates. The numbers aside, the actual professors are also exceptional across all disciplines. I've taken psychology, philosophy, Roman history, neuroscience, french and English classes and each professor has not only been accessible but often actually inspiring. I didn't know I wanted to be a psychology major until I took my second class, but the professor's enthusiasm and expertise made me realize I could spend the next four years studying this stuff.

Mel

Academics play a fairly big role in student life at Bates. My biggest class as far as class enrollment went was around 40, and even in that class my professor knew my name. I'm a history major, so I'll probably take a few more 40 person survey type courses, but usually classes are much smaller, and the professors are able to not only remember your name but actually come to know you as a student and a person. You can always contact professors be it through email or phone, and they are almost all friendly and approachable. The professors at Bates are there to teach rather then to do research for the most part, which you won't find as often at big universities, and so they are so invested in their students which really shows. The classes are hard, and there's a lot of work, but Bates kids for the most part aren't competitive about grades.

Gene

There are very small class sizes. Teachers always know your name and you will be responsible for the material covered in the previous classes and in the assigned readings. There is one on one help and faculty are always available. Students are very driven but willing to help one another out. The psychology classes are some of the best classes at bates.

The professors are not only great at what they do - they are great people, and many of them become your very good friends. It would literally be hard for me to pick a favorite professor or a favorite class. The student:teacher ratio is small. Class participation is high. Professors are approachable and personable. The variety of classes you can take is limited, though, since the college itself is small. I was frustrated to know, for example, that I could not study Portuguese because it isn't offered at Bates. Courses on Latin America are also scarce. Study abroad is common and encouraged. Research grants and fellowships abound.

T-Pain

The proffessors are pretty nice though like all schools some profs are bitches or dicks but overall it's pretty good. The academic requirments aren't that bad . class participation is pretty random. There's not that many intellectual conversations outside of politcal debates that i've noticed. Students study a lot during the week but like to party on the weekend.

Nina

I could not say enough about Bates academics. From the professors to the classes to the plan of study, Bates academics rival the best in the country. For the start of one's Bates career, the first year seminar provides a unique academic opportunity. The classes are very interesting topics, class size is limited to 15 and the class is writing intensive. The first year seminar allows freshman to create a strong relationship with a particular professor as well as 14 other students. Additionally, the class's writing focus prepares students for the challenges that will follow in their academic career. The Bates professors, beyond one's first year seminar professor, continue to build strong relationships with many of their students. The strong relationships between professors and students emerge through the research opportunities provided to students as well as recommendations for graduate schools and jobs. Another unique Bates experience involves short term. Many departments require certain short terms for majors. Within many of these short terms, majors are provided the opportunity to experience highest level within their respect focus. For instance, math majors study abstraction during their short term, which is generally not offered for many undergraduate experiences. This exposure provides majors with small sample of the work of the highest academics within that field. The capstone project at Bates, the senior thesis, is most likely the best academic experience provided for undergraduates. To graduate students must complete a thesis, which is traditionally not completed until graduate study. The completion of a senior thesis and the research involved with the completion of a thesis, give Bates graduate an advantage when applying to graduate programs. Another important part of the Bates academic experience is the Mount David Summit. The Mount David Summit is an event held to allow Bates students to showcase the research completed throughout the year. I believe the Mount David Summit shows the school's dedication to providing students unique academic opporunities.

I dig academics at Bates. That sounds super geeky and so incredibly lame, but its true. I have had a great time in nearly all of my classes. Admittedly, that night class I took in Art History one fall was probably a mistake, and Psych Stats sometimes took over my life, but overall, most of my classes have been great. Even though I'm a psych major, I take a lot of classes in a lot of departments: Art History, Geology, Math, Theater, Anthropology, Religion, Rhetoric, German, Studio Art, and Chemistry, along with a ton of Psychology. That's why the whole liberal arts approach is so appealing. I will graduate as a psych major, but have a certain amount of knowledge in any field I want. Bates makes it really easy to take classes in pretty much anything. Recently, they changed graduation requirements and it is supposedly easy to follow. It doesn't apply to me because it's new, but it looks super confusing. But first years seem to know what's going on. In my experience, it takes a little bit of work to figure out just what is required of you in order to graduate, but advisors and professors are pretty good at helping sort through it with you. Because of the liberal arts thing, we are required to take classes in lots of fields, which I really like, obviously, but if you're really focused on one subject, like one or two of my friends, the requirements and become a bit of a burden. Particularly if you're a science major and need to take gen-eds in humanities or vice-versa and you're not a big fan of the other subject. But being one-track minded isn't really the point of a liberal arts education, so...

Professors are really close. Other than beginner classes (like gen chem or psych 101), classes are typically 20-30 people. When you reach the 300 level courses classes can be between 30-even 6. I had an immunology class with only 8 people. But the semester earlier there were 20 people in that class. Some professors will offer to have dinner with the class. I never experienced that. Bates academic requirements are intense but you're going to a great school so its worth it. Education is geared towards both getting a job, preparing you for entry tests to graduate school and learning for its own sake. The professors are very dedicated to their students. Remember you are going to a college without graduate programs. Therefore, the professors are there for YOU and you only!

Lily

Since the campus is fairly small, the classes are also small enough that you really get to know the professors. In all of my classes except for maybe one or two, the professors all knew my name. Even in the two large science classes that I have taken with about 70 people in the class, the professors still knew my name and the other subjects and activities that I was interested in. The teachers really care about getting to know their students and they encourage us to meet them for office hours for extra help. I have always felt comfortable visiting teachers for help or to just talk about other issues/problems that I may have. Class participation is more common in the small classes and the teachers really encourage us. I am not big on participating in class so I often met with teachers outside of class to discuss topics. One thing that I really like about the academic environment is that students do not compete with each other, but rather help each other out. We form study groups before exams and students are always eager to help each other out. It is far from a competitive environment. My favorite class so far was CHILD PSYCHOPATHOLOGY with Professor Fraser-Thill. This class convinced me that I wanted to be a psych major and the professor was so wonderful that I immediately asked her to be my adviser. Another psych course that I think I learned the most from was MOTIVATION AND EMOTION, which was taught by Professor Kelsey. He is a very tough professor but I learned so much and he was very encouraging and helpful. I had to work the most for this class that semester, but I definitely got the most out of that class. The psych department is really wonderful and I spend a lot of time in the psych lounge doing work. The teachers often stop in to say hi to me and my many other friends who are also psych majors. The one problem that I have with the academic system is the major requirements. I think that there are too many requirements that prevent students from taking some classes that they want to take. There are many 200 level psych courses that I want to take but I dont' have room for them because of the other required courses. However, I have still gotten the chance to take many courses for general interest rather than for a requirement.

Alvin

Class sizes are amazing, I really feel like my professors care about what I work on and I´ve gotten plenty of recommenations from them. Language courses, of course, are a plus, because you are actually forced to speak in class instead of just writing and doing grammar. Plus, I´m writing a dream thesis that´s gotten lots of grants from the Abroad Office that lets me travel all over the country I´m abroad in at the moment. Class participation depends on the class obviously a liberal arts education is what you make out of it... However, Science courses and professors are awful, but the Humanities are usually interesting and well taught. Sometimes, students are really tame and don´t speak out, but most professors know how to get us talking whether from a joke or an interesting topic. Watch out for the Gender Studies though.. A Bates education is summed up by its motto: Amore ac Studio, Love of learning, pretty much, you do what you want with it, just like how your thesis (essentially, a graduation requirement ) is

Parker

Exceptional. I set out to find a place where I could enjoy small, discussion-based classes and get to know my professors and I found it. Academics are challenging and the faculty is top-notch. While most professors spend time doing their own research, they are primarily teachers which radically improves the quality of instruction - you will never be taught by a TA of any sort at Bates. That said, I loved some profs and hated others. I think the profession draws "unique" individuals unlike any other. Some departments at Bates are also much larger than others. The economics department is certainly among the largest and best on campus and, it seems to me, even one of the best in the NESCAC. I spent a year at the London School of Economics and, while the courses list was far more extensive, the quality of instruction at Bates blew the LSE of out the water.

Academics are very hard and rigorous. Teachers tend to grade hard and therefore students are always in the library studying. Classes tend to be small (anywhere from 10-30 people in an average class) however some of the 100 level classes there can be up to 70 people. With small class sizes it is hard to skip classes becuase teachers tend to know who you are and expect students to be participating regularly in class discussions, etc.

unreal. the academics are so stimulating and the professors are passionate. i don't know anyone on campus who feels unchallenged or deprived. professors are fair and extensions and leniency is provided to students who pose a logical reason.

Doug

Bates is great for academics and generally underrated in the college books for reasons we Bates students don't understand. Most classes at Bates are very very small, and all are taught by professors. Most professors like to interact with students outside of class, and it is not uncommon to see a member of the faculty playing IM sports, acting in a play, or having lunch with a student in commons. Often professors work under their first names, and are very easy to work with. Class participation is the name of the game at Bates. The professors at Bates are there because they want to teach, and they are very passionate about that.

The class sizes are fairly small except in the intro sciences. They have just redone the curriculum for incoming years so I cannot speak to the ease of finishing gen-ed requirements and how competition for classes will come about. I know that the new requirements work to build writing skills However, the professors are amazing people who are almost always ready to talk with you if you go into their office. I loved the Classics department, they are curious people who instill passion in their students. Bates is fairly flexible in terms of creating their own major and the professors will help these students study what they wish especially in junior and senior year. Every student (except possibly math majors) is required to write a Senior Thesis. (My thesis advisor and I met over tea once a week during the evening to discuss my progress and my concerns. He even hosted my mother during graduation!) Length requirements vary among disciplines, but students pick a topic they are interested in and then spend a semester or a year researching and writing on that topic. This is the culmination of your education career, a chance to pull together everything you've learned in four years into something that you are passionate about. I wrote my thesis on Cicero as a Political Philosopher: examining and trying to prove that his philosophy was not merely a Greek copycat or something haphazardly thrown together to support his politics, but a product of his education and his Roman practicalities that is entirely different from, but not second to, Greek philosohpy. It is a long process during which you want to tear your hair out, but afterwards everyone is proud of what they have accomplished! Bates wants students to succeed after college. They are a liberal arts college. This means they are educating students to think critically in whatever field they study and to learn for education's sake. If you are looking for a place where you can just learn for its own pleasure, this is the place. The by-product of this philosophy is that you can succeed in any job you get because of the well-grounded background in critical thinking, problem solving, and love of a challenge. They have many programs to help students look for jobs and internships outside of Bates, and in your senior year you can use your thesis and classes as a way to tailor your education for the work force. I'm a Classics major - the skills I've learned are completely useless for any area outside education, but I have had no problem entering the work force, my talents are still valued. Like most places, what you get from your education depends on what you put into it. If you are willing to talk to the professor outside of class, do all the reading, ask questions and be engaged, then you will reap infinite benefits from the experience. If you are a passive about your education, then Bates will be less than stellar - go look somewhere else! The classes are rarely lectures. Even when they are, they tend to have smaller study-groups that are discussion based where students are Expected and encouraged to participate.

Because of the size of the schoool you become closely acquainted with your professors, most professors are easily accessible and excited to help. The nature of majors will force students to take small seminars and then a thesis which will create strong connections with teachers. I find that most students are interested in the events of the world and have interesting intellectual conversations outside of class.

The best thing about Bates is the small class sizes and therefore the recognition students get from Profs. Batesies definitely have intellectual convos outside of class, although they may be hard to find among all the drunken night before stories. My fav class was definitely Mammalogy... camping up at Moosehead and going "cruising" at night to try to see moose while munching on Oreos was unforgettable. Bates has changed thier general education requirements and it's really confusing now... I have no idea how it works.

Bates offers a top of the line liberal arts education. Classes are generally large at first (30) but as you progress into higher level classes that number drops to around 12. The professors are what makes such a special place. Professors always know you're name and are invested in each students' success. The senior thesis is one aspect of Bates that I really enjoyed. My thesis pushed me to work harder and smarter than I ever have. Furthermore when its all said and done the feeling of accomplishment is unparalleled.

Marie

Professors have a tendency to teach to the middle, subsequently green-lighting the more advanced students to do little reading. This problem is widespread and, I think, not specific to Bates. The General Education notion also needs to be re-thought. All in all, the professors are fantastic and classes, if you choose them carefully, can be extremely rewarding. Bates also has a very encouraging study abroad department which I think is one of its features.

Royce

Bates professors are unique in that they truly care about their students and are willing to go the extra mile. They encourage students to drop by during office hours and dine with students at Commons, or invite their classes over for a meal. Professors are great to talk to because 99{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of them have the highest degrees in their field and they are extremely knowledgeable. Batesies are not competitive with each other. I do not even know my class rank.

Academics are all above average. There are a few teachers who perhaps should be considering another career, but that is true of almost anywhere. Classes are mostly small size (especially as you get into higher level courses) and engaging. The only complaint I currently have is that the current Spanish department is pretty unimaginative and unexciting.

I've had tons of great classes here. Professors tend to be fantastic. I have developed really strong relationships with four to five professors, and feel respected, challenged, and appreciated by all of them. I would really suggest choosing classes for the professor, because it makes a hell of a lot of a difference. One thing that bothers me about academics at Bates is that many students don't seem engaged in their classes. I find I am often the only one that actively participates in discussions and the only one to raise my hand in class. Students here do not seem very intellectually engaged (of course their are exceptions), and that has been a big let down. I get around it by getting involved in my own pursuits - my interdisciplinary major, research for curiosity's sake, community work, and clubs that are actually active like the Immigration Group. I have found friends that do have intellectual conversations, and that makes a big difference.

I am a rhetoric major, and didn't even know what rhetoric was until I got to my Sophomore year at Bates and a Junior told me it was a great department. Originally, I wanted to be a Political Science major, but I was uncomfortable with the department and the professors... I didn't feel like I knew them. I was challenged with Rhetoric and I feel that the professors became my friends and taught me all they could. I also went abroad to Paris, France my Junior year (both semesters). I had a great time abroad and, although Bates was hesitant in giving me the credit I wanted for the nine months I was abroad (and studying hard in French!), the experience was worth it and I became fluent in French. I am also a French minor. The academics are hard and rewarding. Thesis was a great project and I am very proud of myself.

kevin

Academics at Bates are the best. it's tough, yet manageable. the professors know you name, and there are so many classes to choose from. my personal favorite would be acting and directing for the camera with Paul Kuritz. i really do recommend that class a lot. the professors here are very funny individuals, so if you're looking for interesting people then look no further. Oh yeah the kids here do like to be competitive.

Small class sizes where for better or worse the professor will know your name and expect you in class. Just yesterday my entire class (including the professor) walked to a student's dorm room to wake her up when she slept in and tried to skip class. While thats the norm they do hold you to a high standard and it is highly rewarding in the end. We are all required to write a senior thesis which might have been the most agonizing year of my life but the end product was definitly something to be proud of.

Rob

Bates academics are very good. Professors are very personable and know everyone in the class on an individual basis. Professors are also very approachable. The new distribution requirements are kind of a headache, but once you figure out your major and concentrations it doesn't seem so crazy.

Bates has a small class size which means you definitely develop close student-professor relationships. Especially within my major, I have had many important professor/mentors that have helped me through signing up for classes, working on thesis, and writing recommendations. I have been over to professors houses for dinner. Students are competitive only internally, it's a very cooperative environment and most students form study groups and help each other out. Bates students are pretty focused and smart which means while we spend a good amount of time studying, the college also encourages students to pursue their interests outside of the classroom. Every student at Bates has at least one 'other' thing outside of academics that they are actively pursuing. So whether it's a sport, an art, volunteer, or a club, students are very involved in the Bates, Lewiston, and larger community.

The academics here are great, if you make them. The class sizes are small, and most are geared toward participation and discussion. The professors will know your names (and you will interact with them on a first-name basis too!), they want you to ask questions, and they care about you-they want you to do well! I'm a biology major, but I've found the science departments here to be slightly lacking. As far as majors and concentrations, it doesn't get more specific than "biology" or "chemistry"-two fields that can get pretty darn specific! I'd have to say my favorite class would be Intro to Medieval Archaeology; the professor was one of the nicest guys I've ever met and the material was soo interesting. Students are really lax about their studies. There is a lot of working together in groups, and absolutely no competition (which can be really good or really bad depending on the type of person you are). Finals week can get pretty stressful, but other than that, the atmosphere is really REALLY chill.

The Students at Bates create an amazing academic atmosphere. Although we love our partying, it is not commonplace to stumble upon a group of people funneling beers while discussing the pros and cons of free trade or universal healthcare.

At Bates, it is hard to find a class with more than 40 people, and even in these intro classes you will find that the professors genuinely care about learning your name, often to the extent of making flash cards with your picture on them. Professors at Bates are largely there to teach (we're not exactly a research institution), and they (reasonably) assume that you are there to learn. Class participation, while not always mandated by grading rubrics, is nearly always expected. Doing your homework is both common and expected, resulting in a fair amount of time spent in the library or other study locations every day. That said, most of us spend a good amount of our days doing something fun, be it playing competitive ultimate frisbee or waking up before dawn to row on the Androscoggin River. My majors (History and German) are both relatively small, but I get the impression that most majors feel small in that your advisors know you well, and know their colleagues, and care about your well-being. Lastly, and definitely unique to Bates, is the fact that all seniors have to complete a thesis of some sort for their major, whether it be a lengthy research project, a scientific experiment, or a series of paintings. This brings you closer to a member of the faculty (your advisor), and gives you something to be really proud of as you complete your major.

Bates allows for you to explore your academics as much or as little as you want. It is possible to get by without working yourself to the bone, but if you really want a strong education you can pile on the work. There are many amazing professors.

Class particiaption is very common and high. This could be due to its smaller classes compared to other school. Average number of students per class is 15.

While there are overacheivers here that ask a million questions in class and always have to act their smartest, most people are relaxed about academics. We take four classes a semester which makes the workload really managable. Professors usually make an effort to learn names, even in bigger classes. Lots of professors will respond to emails almost immediately. My professor used to edit our papers for us before we passed them into him, which was obviously really helpful.

Stuart

I had a class of three last semester where i was doing original research. As with any place some professors are good and some are bad but my experience is at the upper levels the classes can be very challenging but very very rewarding. Professors often go by first names and are very approachable and available. Biology is the only departement where any kind of competition seems to come into play at Bates. The pre-med people seem to be a little more competitive than the average batesie especially in the major required courses like cell hell. But Ecology people like myself usually get over that quickly working with a fantastic marine ecology professor.

Mallory

Professors are all really accessible here, and although you will happen upon a few crazies, in general I have been very happy. There is a lot of enthusiasm within the departments. Some classes integrate opportunities within the community into the curriculum and many of the science classes -- the ones with labs in particular -- involve work outside the classroom.

The new requirments fo 1st years are so so so much easier.. I wished sometimes that I came a year later because the older requirements are just a mess. Poeple at Bates are here to do two things study and socialize. It is competitive regarding many people at Bates seem to push themselves to do better than the previous year, but is not like highschool where you are competing to be at the top of your class or beating your friend by getting a A on your Econ exam. Professors know your name!!! even in the rare classes that are over 35 people, professors will learn your name int he first week and never miss class, because although there are some professors that lack interest, most professors are so engaged in the subject and are entertainment that keep you awake and excited for class.

I'm on a first name basis with all my professors and they're really accessible with flexible office hours. I saw my French professor at the pool today and my politics professor on the quad with his wife and daughter, if that's any indication of how intertwined in the Bates community the professors are.

Sasha

My professors do usually learn my name pretty quickly, and some I even have a great personal relationship with. Students at Bates study a lot. Its kind of ridiculous. I guess we value our weekends and know that if we want to go crazy on them, and still be able to stay in school, we have to work our asses off to get there. Since classes are small, class participation usually counts for more than homework. The Bates academic requirements (or at least the old ones that I have to do) I feel are a good balance of all areas of the departments. I personally dont like the science requirements (because I am far beyond a science person), and I wish there were more languages offered, but other than that I think the old requirements are okay. From what I've heard, the new requirements are much more free, and overall better. From my perspective, Bates classes can either be preparing you for a job, or they can be learning for the sake of learning -- I think it highly depends on what department/area you're referring to.

Academically, Bates is a lot to handle, though I never found a professor unwilling to help outside of class. Classes, in general, are interesting, though the fact that few sections are offered can be limiting-- and very annoying. GPA competition between students is kept at a relative minimum, mostly because students are too busy competing with themselves to get and maintain a high GPA, that there is little time to compete with others. This is, in part, the reason why the academic environment seldom extends beyond the classroom, midterms week, and finals week. Quite simply, Batesies get their intellectual fill in the classroom and in the homework (which is plentiful). Not having grad students at the school is a Godsend. This means that undergrads have real opportunites to interact and study with professors, as well as 100 percent of the resources of the campus. Professors care and they get involved if you want them to be-- and sometimes when you don't want them to be. This is especially helpful for seniors, who have to write a Senior Thesis to graduate. The saying goes that Bates thesis is generally on par with, or better than a graduate thesis. Each student picks a member of the faculty, within their major, to be their thesis advisor, ensuring one-on-one time with a professor. The core curriculum, or "general education requirements" as they are called, leave much to be desired in a few ways, something recognized by the fact that the faculty is in the process of rewriting gen-eds First, gen-eds do not really emphasize any "core" values that make Bates different from any other school. Second, gen-eds require students to take an inordinate amount of science requirements (three), with two as a set. This is problematic for non-science majors, who have to spend millions of hours in labs and therefore miss out on taking other, more major-related, courses. Third, the availability of gen-ed classes is limited by the limited number of sections offered for any given course; and whereas a student can petition to get into a class, some professors flat out refuse to accept petitions. Some of Bates's finer departments include the Economics depaartment, the Political Science department, and the Rhetoric department. Each of these departments is recognized nationally for their excellence.

Academics is just one aspect of life at Bates, but it is certainly an important one. Education expands outwards from the classroom to discussions with fellow students or professors over dinner, or lectures in the evenings. Professors are always available through office hours and email, and are willing to help not only as part of their job but because they want to. Expect to work hard at Bates; the library is a second home for many students, especially during exam periods. Almost all graduating students complete a Senior Thesis which helps to bring closure to their academic career at Bates.

I feel that at Bates I was held responsible for the education I received. I took it upon myself to get what I could out of the courses I took and it was a choice I had to make every time. But that's usually exactly the right environment for the kind students that go to Bates. The educational opportunities are definitely there. It is up to the student to either take advantage of them or ignore them. Sure, a student could graduate from Bates having spent the last four years skating by, doing just enough to pass and not really knowing much more than when they arrived...except maybe having refined their palate for different beers. But for the students who really are invested in and genuinely interested and excited by learing and bettering themselves, there is much to indulge in at Bates. I have found that many students who choose to come to Bates really do appreciate the opportunities here and are actively engaged in their education. My friends and I really do get excited about things discussed in class and it's not unusual to hear "intellectual" discussions at lunch. But that doesn't mean that's all we talk about. Most of the time those discussions of an "academic nature" flow into deeper topics such as the appropriate ratio of syrup-to-waffle or the best Beatles song off the White Album or who is responsible for the lastest snow chicken that appeared on the quad overnight.