Waco, TX
Baylor University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Baylor University

Braeden

Baylor is apparently the oldest University in the state of Texas, and there's a great deal of pride and tradition that comes from that--but they continue to strive to be one of the top learning institutions while maintaining a Christian mindset. That may not be for some people--if it were a huge issue, they wouldn't apply to go to Baylor. Still, Baylor isn't completely filled with the "typical Christian"--and if you go to Baylor and take your school seriously, you'll get a great education regardless. If you're looking for a party school where you can get a degree and blow off your education, Baylor would probably be a stupid choice... seeing as it costs so much.

Baylor, on the whole, is very conservative. It's the party line, and the majority of students follow it. The school of music, however, is very different--I'm personally a democrat, and I don't feel oppressed or anything like that. I have several gay friends in the school, and they don't seem to have much of a problem. As far as the financial background is concerned, students pretty much fall into two categories: students whose parents are loaded and it doesn't matter at all how much school costs, and students who are desperately trying to get as many scholarships and loans as possible... because Baylor is really expensive.

Sometimes. But if you know where to look, you can definitely find people who don't fit the mold--and those people get along fine at Baylor. Really, Baylor is about like any private institution: there are people who fit the pristine, Christian, "Baylor Image"; and there are people who don't.

Academics at Baylor are really great, and--at least in this area of the country--Baylor is a really well-respected academic institution. When you tell people you're going to Baylor, they're generally impressed. For the most part, classes are very small, so it's easy to get to know your professors if you want to. Pretty much all of my professors know my name. Generally, the general education classes that are required for everybody tend to suck, but if you're smart you can get most of them out of the way in community college. I'm a music major, and Baylor has absolutely got one of the top programs in the state, if not the nation. My professors all challenge me to be the best musician I can be, and the curriculum really is designed to give you the most out of your degree. The students are competitive, but the environment is also very encouraging if you make the right kinds of friends. In the end, you get out what you put in--and Baylor will return exponentially if you really work hard.

That Baylor students are all rich, snobby, and extremely conservative. Everyone has heard about "The Baylor Bubble"--where you're completely sheltered from the outside world and everything that isn't "Baylor-friendly."

Baylor has a lot of student organizations and clubs that you can belong to if you want--pretty much anything legal that you're interested in doing, you can do through some club at school. If you want to do anything that isn't exactly legal... you can probably do that too--but it's obviously a little more hush-hush. Athletic events are huge at Baylor: despite the fact that our football team currently sucks, people still attend the games pretty much religiously. This is pretty much the same for all the major sports at Baylor. As a freshman, you have to live in the dorms, so you either learn to embrace it or live for the day when you can get your own apartment.

Charlie

Baylor is a bubble within the city of Waco, Texas. The weather is great, but humid. Within this bubble everyone LOVES Baylor. It is very much a haves versus have-nots. If you cross interstate 35 you find the poverty stricken city of Waco. Some Baylor students do outreach ministires to this part, but often I have found that they focus so much on abroad missions they cannot see who their neighbors are. For me Baylor is the perfect sized university. It is small enought that I can compete in competitive sports but it is large enough that our football team is in the Big XII. When you look at Baylor as a potential school look closely at how it's specific schools like the school of Business or School of Music are, because some are definately better rated than others. Baylor is very much a Christian university. It does have it's basis in the Baptist religion, but it is safe to stick with just "christian." Within this you will find quite a few who judge others just as God tells us not to. But because they are bigger and better Christians than you they think they have the right. Just a warning, if you show up to the dining halls on Sunday morning and aren't wearing church attire "SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER" will be the typical response. The most frequent complaints I hear among all students are the extreme difficulty of the religon classes (two are required to graduate) and the complete and totally pointless two sememsters of chapel we must attend for no credit. I personally find the religon classes worthwhile, but very difficult. Chapel is just another of those traditions that the old farts who founded Baylor thought was a good idea and now it will never be changed; so deal with it.

If you are: poor, emo, unkempt, gutter-minded, gay, or lesbian RUN AWAY! You will feel extremely out of place at Bayor University. Why? Because here are a bunch of Christians in a large group and you should always fear ignorant people in large groups. I will not be mentioning names but I have known two nomosexual friends who have been not exactly kicked out but their lives made miserable by both students and staff until they transfered to another out of state university. I do know that being a Christian is an excellent thing, but you will find that even though Christians at Baylor claim to be open-minded and want to help you become a better person or be "saved" they often will hurt the minorites that Christians tend to condemn in the process. If you do choose to come to Baylor you can keep quiet and questions about things like this are not asked. The "don't ask don't tell" policy seems to be working quite well for me anyway. If you fit any of these categories think about how much you are willing to risk, how much you are willing to hide, and how much you are going to try to find friends like you. I promise, we all exist, we just hide.

Hard work pays off. If you go to any university this is going to be obvious, but when your professors know you by name and ask you why you weren't in class on Friday it can be a bit weird. We do have an attendence policy at Baylor, but if you miss class it is really only your loss. Join groups! If you want a sorority or fraternity, go ahead. If not we have everything from band and orchestra to competitiave and club sports teams. Not that good at sports? Awesome, come and make a fool out of yourself as a group in intermurals, trust me you will have a blast. Want an academic group? We have BIC and Honors classes, you can find a bunch of friends there. One last thing, get the cheapest meal plan you can, you won't use them anyway. After freshman year drop the meal plan and just pay for meals out of Dining Dollars or Bear Bucks, it's cheaper if you do the math.

Fairly accurate, but there are exceptions to the rules. Baylor has all the typical sterotypes any college would have.

Here in Texas football is the key to life. Everyone goes to games if not for the game for the fun of being around friends. Baseball and basketball (both boys and girls) are high on the list of fun sports to watch. Often I have found that we leave our front doors to our dorms open and say hi as people walk by. If a door is closed it means one of three things: I'm studying, I'm asleep, or I'm sick. The social aspect of living in dorms is totally worth the 2am runs to Walmart for cereal or the pillow fights in the halls or the airsoft/nerf gun wars. One other plus to dorms is that they separate mens dorms from womens dorms typically by a giant field or a steel wall. It is nice to know that you're safe to walk from your room to the laundry in just pijamas. As for outside of school, drinking really is not an issue, one of the pluses of it being a Christian school. What do we do insted? We have a frisbee golf course in Cameron Park, we have a fairly nice zoo, bowling and movie nights are common. One thing I love is to get a group of friends together, rent out a grill and grill steaks outside. If you want a party to drink at, you can probably find one; but if you don't and want some alternatives we have plenty of those as well (and even friends who will go with you!).

The professors at Baylor are in general very good. The classes, even freshman english classes, never reach above 60 students. In these larger classes you need to make a point to introduce yourself to your professor in the first week or two of class. Typically all of your professors will know you by name and by sight; heck you will probably run into them every once in a while at the local HEB to shop for groceries! Baylor does have this cool thing called Living and Learning Centers. I am a part of the Engineering LLC. Within each of these communities you all live together, take similar classes and such. It's good both socailly and academically, as we have free tutors available for a few hours a week. One warning, currently tenure has not been given to ANY of the professors in the Biomedical Engineering field. So I have a feeling this department will soon either turn over for the worse or go away completely. If this is your chosen major, go somewhere else.

Baylor has two basic types of people that attend: those who work for their goals and those who have their goals handed to them on a golden platter. For those who have it handed to them they are those typically in sororities or fraternities and their parents are the ones who pay for everything. On the other side are those who live off FAFSA and student loans to survive and typically work very hard for everything they have.

Allie

Baylor is overall a great school. It is just the right size and relatively small compared to the big state schools. Too much funding goes towards the athletic programs. The students and faculty are very friendly, and has a great atmosphere overall.

Baylor is pretty diverse, racially. Most are Baptist or Christian, but there are people from just about every religion.

Visiting hours for the opposite gender in the dorms are ridiculous. All boys must leave by 10pm on week nights and midnight on weekends. Parking is very difficult- it's almost impossible to find a good spot.

They are true for some people, but most people are very friendly.

My closest friends are from my dorm. We usually go out to eat, the movies or shopping. There is not a whole lot to do in Waco other than those things. I'm involved in Sing Alliance. We are the only non-Greek group to perform an actin Sing every year. Every group puts on a 7 minute broadway style show. It is a competition and is a lot of work, but is worth it is definitely worth it.

In large lecture classes, it is difficult to get to know your professors since there is less in class participation. My favorite classes are Intro to Mass Communication and Sight Sound Motion, which are both film classes for my major. Baylor has a great film department that gives many opportunities for students. The professors know what they are talking about and have a lot of experience in various parts of the industry. The Baylor in New York program (BaylorNY.com) allows you to take 12 hrs that include an internship, while in NYC. This has led to many jobs for communication majors. Required classes for a BA degree are pretty easy if you know which professors to take (BUbooks.com has ratings for most Baylor profs) 2 semesters of Religion,which can be a little challenging, are required for everyone as well as 2 semesters of chapel (pass/fail graded on attendance).

Reese

I think the best thing about Baylor is that the school has so many different student organizations and ways for students to be involved on campus from Sororites and fraternities to student counsel and religious organizations. One thing that I would change would be a better guide to life after college as well as more help picking out majors and minors. I think the size of Baylor is a good size and is constantly growing. They think that my educational choice was a great one and has and will continue to take me places in this world I spent time in my sorority room, in the library and at the end of my carrer working on my major and with tutors. I think Waco is a college town. I think Baylor's administration has changed dramatically since I have been a student. I think change is good and it seems like the current administration is taking Baylor where they see it needs to be as the time changes. I am not sure what the biggest recent controversy is but, I know when I was a student the school was in the progress of getting a new president and remember that being a big deal. I believe that Baylor does have school pride. I do not think that there is anything unusual about Baylor. One experience that I remember about Baylor is being in a sorority and meeting great new people and the bonds I share with those people today. The most frequent student complaints were about Baylor never cancelling classes because of weather.

Everyone seemed to be fine. Maybe one that did not get involved in campus at all. Jeans and t-shirts are often warn to class. Yes, I feel different types of students interact. There are sorority and fraternity people at two tables, atheletes at another and friends in your class in another table. Most students are from Houston, or Dallas. I feel most students are pretty well off. I think most students are politcally aware but it would depend who you asked. I feel most people at Baylor are Right and Center and a few Left. I never heard anyone talking about how much money they would be making one day.

I think that you need to add more of a section for people who have graduated college and asked them questions pertaning to life after college as well as during college. Maybe, how did your education help you today or if you could do it again would you attend this college.

The professors knew my name when I was a student, however I feel recently that some forget who you are when you leave. My least favorite class was anatomy and speech science for speech pathology majors. This was becasue I had an awful teacher who should not have been there. My favorite classes were baised on the person who taught it. I had several classes where the professor made the class. I feel students study quite a bit, but then maybe it depends what you are majoring in. Class partisipation is common. Baylor students do have intellectual converstaions in and out of classes. Students are competatitve. The most unique class I took was bowling. My major was speech pathology. I feel the department is good but they seem to only want a certain type of person to take on that major. I feel that they should be more open to people expereinceing the classes I was able to take. I did spend time outside of class with professors. I feel that they are very fair. I feel that it is geared towards learning but also getting a job.

Most popular change all the time. But when I was there it was sororities/ fraternities as well as other groups on campus. Just being in a group of some sort. I was involved in Alpha Delta pi, a great group of young women. I think that in dorms they did I do not remember. Depends on the athletic event but I would say medium but lacking in football. I was there and heard Bill Cosby twice which was neat. Theater is smaller but took a class in it and was exposed to that program. Most people seem to date, but then it would depend on who you are. Many of my Baylor friends and classmates have ended up getting married shortly after graduation. I met my closest friends from my sorority. I was probably studying or watching tv. The day of the bear and I am sure many more. Prob. mostly on the weekend but it would depend on the person. Some party more often than others. Fraternites and sororties are actually a very small precentage at Baylor because there are so many more clubs to join. But, they are still important. I hung out last weekend with friends. Going to the movies, hanging out with friends ordering pizza. Went to movies or just hung out with friends

Baylor University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.