Baylor University

« See more reviews of Baylor University

above answer

Fairly.

Actually they are. As one who does not fit the mold (I am a male with long green hair, walks barefoot, etc), I am looked down on many times by many people. Even walking to class I get frowns or weird looks. Of course the stereotypes only include the white population at Baylor. Which is the vast majority. Oh yeah, everyone either is rich, or just dresses that way. Fads are extremely popular; a popular style will come in, and a significant amount of people will dress accordingly. There are many open minded Christians, but there are many more closed minded ones. Gays are hated. Muslims and catholics are many times looked down upon. There is a big Hindu population, but no one really touches on that. Claim you are a buddhist, shintoist, secular humanist, daoist, atheist, or anything else considered "exotic" and you will be condemned to hell, literally, by bible thumping fundamentalists.

Not completely. A portion of the students at Baylor do not work and live off their parents' money. An even larger portion are not like this though. There are a good number of great, down to earth students here, you just have to know where to look. Going along with knowing where to look- if you are coming to college looking to party, you are going to find people who party. Baylor is a big school and there is a large amount of students who party just as hard as any other state school. On the other hand, because Baylor is a baptist university, if you are looking for a place to find friends who are growing in their faith and developing their relationship with God, Baylor is perfect. There are so many various programs and ways to get involved with these types of people as well.

The Baylor administration itself is more Christian than I expected. The professors are almost always Christians, and there are more extracurricular spiritual options. Not every student is Christian. Most of the Christians however are genuine, normal people. While there are many rich blond girls, it turns out that they're nice, and they stay in their own circles. Normal people can easily find normal people. Lots of people find husbands lots of people don't. It is easy to get in, but it's getting harder. Everyone I know was pleasantly surprised about the difficulty of the classes and the workload. I genuinely feel like I'm getting a great education- better than a state school.

The "snob" stereotype is accurate for a higher percentage of people than other schools I've been around. The most abundant accumulation of these type of people exist in the Greek system. That said, there are still many students in and out of the Greek systems who are indeed down to earth, but you may need to look a little hard to find them. The religious stereotype is less accurate. There are a lot of students, more so girls than guys, in whom it is obvious that they hold their faith very close. However, it is college, and at one point or another, you will find most all students here will throw their inhibitions to the wind.

Although there are a good number of "rich kids" here, there is a good number of not so rich kids as well. Despite the stereotype, you would never guess half the people that have money do. Most people carry themselves in a very equal manner. There is also a good number of girls who, of course, would love to find their husbands here, but despite that, they are still part of the amazing student body that Baylor has. There is such an ecclectic group of people here that have these amazing hearts. I have never met people more willing to serve one another.

To me, none of them are. People here are just like other people, nice or mean or aloof or different every day. There are still big parties, there is still swearing and sex and other such things. Depending on your perspective, either Baylor is NOT welcoming to all regardless of beliefs or Baylor is gradually kicking out their own claimed beliefs. Sure, we have some really nice people and some really good things going, but it is nothing like I expected when I entered the "largest Baptist university in the world."

A lot of us are here on scholarship and ethnicities vary. The private, Christian university does seem to have a calling to "MRS degrees" and the term "Baylor girl" is used to define the vast majority of the female student body in a negative connotation in refrence to their dress, attitude, and acessories. And while most classes are quite difficult, we're actually good at most sports besides football.

There are definitely a LOT of people like that, but not everyone at Baylor comes from a wealthy family. I certainly don't! But one good thing about having a "financially blessed" student body (and therefore a well-funded university) is that Baylor is able to provide a lot of great services and facilities that you might not find at a state school.