Baylor University

« See more reviews of Baylor University

Baylor's lack of tolerance is appalling. I've met a number of LGBTQ students and they suffer anxiety, because homosexuality is against school policy. To an LGBT student, daily life is lived in fear. There isn't racial diversity either. I want a Latina Profesora to teach me Spanish. The Mujerista theology lecture in my ChristianHeritage class was done by an elderly white pastor. After Obama's 2008 election, nooses were hung from trees. Any student that differs from the WhiteConservativeChristian mold will have difficulty making friends, forming study groups, and suceeding. That's just a fact about Baylor.

Baylor University's stance on homosexuality is disheartening. Christians should expand the kingdom of heaven, which does not include taking the place of God and judging others for their sins. Our job, as believers, is to love God and love people. We're called to hate the sin, not the sinner and Baylor's stance on LGBT community on campus is disappointing. The university prohibits LGBT clubs and gatherings; consequently discouraging students here to be openly gay. For Baylor to make students feel unequal to their heterosexual peers, I question their motivation as a Christian example in education.

As a private Baptist university, most of the professors are Baptists and fit the generic Baptist stereotype, which obviously means less diversity. However, the professors are incredibly educated and ask insightful questions and get the students thinking hard about new ideas. A few professors are very "Baptist" and conservative in their teaching, but most don't let it keep them from being wonderful professors, academically stimulating and engaging. I do look forward to more diversity in the faculty at Baylor, but feel that the current status is not detrimental to our education.

While I loved the school and felt completely satisfied in my educational experience, it did occasionally make me uncomfortable in regards to race and religious separation. Baylor claims to not impose any religion upon any student, which I feel is true, but there was a seemingly natural separation of students. I rarely had any African American students in my classes and I did not hang out with them socially. It was not a matter of choice, simply a matter of lack of intermingling between ethnically diverse students and the majority consisting of conservative, caucasian students.

The worst thing about my school has to be the dorm that I am staying at. Baylor requires all first year students to live on campus and have a meal plan. While I do find it really convenient to live on campus, and having food readily available on campus to me, this is an additional expense that is uneccesary. I have already calculated the cost of living off campus in an apartment with my own bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen, and the savings are in the thousands. This mandatory residency rule should be changed to accomodate students with financial adversity.

Unfortunately Baylor is one of the most expensive schools in Texas. Although it's ranked and a private school many students struggle trying to make it successfully through their four years. Financial aid is very hard to contact and it's a struggle to increase the aid you recieve. The financial counselors advise students to get loans when money doesn't add up. Many people I know have had to leave because they can't afford the school after attending for one or two years. The majority of the students know people who have had to leave because of finances.

The wosrt thing about my school is the fact that the majority of students are either engaged or married by their junior year. Sadly, we have one of the higest divorce rates out of most schools in the country. I do not believe it is healthy to get married so young. All these students know is college life, they have no idea what the real world is like. Our society does not need any more divorce; our children have had enough experience dealing with broken households. Divorce should not be something we strive for the young to become accustomed to.

I think the worst thing about Baylor is that sometimes it can very much live up to its stereotype as a rich and snobby private school. Although there is such a great variety of types of students, this has rarely happened to me, but you can sometimes you can get caught up the stereotype of the "Baylor Bubble" where seemingly nothing bad happens. Not that bad things don't happen at Baylor or that we don't have normal college parties and problems, but an air of ignorance can sometimes exist within certain circles, so choose your friends wisely.

The worst thing about Baylor University is definitely it?s cost of tuition. Baylor tuition varies between 35,000 to 40,000 a year with room and board. It?s an expense that many students? families can?t afford with today economy, even though Baylor does offer many scholarships and financial aid. I think that Baylor being a private university has a lot to do with its high tuition however, I feel that because of the tuition cost many students wont be able to attend a school that might maximize their college education dramatically.

The worst thing is they're is a lot of deception, or pretty much I've been lied to a lot. I was orginally a biomedical engineer and I researched the programs they had online, talked to an admissions counselor, and after orientation I was informed they didn't have a biomedical engineering degree but just a general engineering degree with an emphasis on biomedical. They then forced me to switch to mechanical engineering. Plus, they are always telling the less financially fortunate to transfer. Thus I am transferring to Texas A&M.