Baylor University Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

michael

party hardy baby

Britain

The common stereotype of Baylor is good students with good national ratings.

Lucas

Most people believe that students who have the opportunity to attend Baylor University come from extremely wealthy families and are therefore somewhat stuck up or snobby. While this may not be entirely untrue, there are far more genuine, caring people at Baylor than I have seen at any other university I have visited. With that being said, one of the stereotypes that holds true is that fraternities and sororities play a large part in the social experience. For instance, it is pretty rare to attend a party or event that is not organized by a fraternity or sorority. In some cases events are put on by other student organizations, but this seems to be a much rarer case. However, this stereotype should not cause future students to worry because Baylor is an extremely diverse campus and most people can find their niche within the first few weeks of the semester.

Azeem

One stereotype about Baylor students is that they are entirely too Christian or orthodox. While this may be true in particular cases, the Baylor student body consists of students from diverse backgrounds and religious traditions. The students, at large, are accommodating and tolerant, yet their passion for Christ is exuberant.

Because we are a Baptist University, other schools might think we are all crazy Baptists or strictly "goodie two shoes". That is definitely a stereotype. Most of us aren't even Baptist. Christianity is a big part of our school and you will find many christian students, but the student body overall is pretty diverse. You can find students from many different beliefs, nationalities, and religions. Yes there are Jocks(and Heisman winners!!), Frats and Sorority girls, nerdy students, geniuses, and the occasional stoner...you could probably find all of the above in moody library on any given night, though they might be there for different reasons. Of course being a Baptist school, there are a zillion weekly bible studies you could become a part of, but head to south padre island for spring break and you'll most likely find some Baylor students on the beach having a good time.

The general stereotype of my school is that everybody is very Christian. Baylor University is a Baptist school, and, while they claim to have great diversity, pretty much everybody here is a Christian. In my experience, this stereotype has been true....in a way. It is expected that you will go to church on Sundays, but it is also expected that you will be hungover while there. From what I have seen, people are rather judgmental and intolerant of other religious affiliations. During my time at Baylor, I have met one Muslim, three atheists, and a handful of Catholics. Diversity is not well known here. Professors tend to incorporate the Christian faith into their lectures as well. If you are a Christian (especially a Baptist Christian), then you will feel right at home. There are an abundance of churches to choose from in the Waco communities, and your views will generally be accepted by most people that you encounter. However, if that is not your faith, you may have a harder time fitting in on this campus.

The typical Baylor stereotype is that all Baylor students are privileged, upper-class, white students that live a fake Christian lifestyle. Though of course there are these students at Baylor, there is a diverse student body made up of people from all walks of life.

Britain

The common stereotype of Baylor is Rich, Stuck up, Bible Thumper students and good national ratings.

Baylor is a Baptist University so it is understandable that many students who attend Baylor would be from a religious background. However, there are other denominations represented at this school. More importantly, students and teachers do not throw their religion around but it is a comfort to know that their are so many here on campus who are willing to discuss about any questions about your faith.

There are several stereotypes about Baylor. One is that all of the students are wealthy and snobby. This is very unaccurate, considering the amount of students that are here on scholarship and could not afford Baylor if it wasn't for that.

Many people think we are all white, rich, Baptist students.

We have a large Greek presence. Many people join a fraternity or sorority in the spring of their freshman year, but if that’s not for you that’s okay, as well. We also have the athletes and band kids. Most people are members of at least one organization. There is something for everyone at Baylor.

The stereotype about Baylor is that it is very christian and all the students are very Baptist! I have met many students and most ARE christian/Baptist and so on- but not everyone. You will meet plenty of people, even atheists and agnostics.

Baylor University is the home of stereotypes! From rich kids who don't know the value of hard work to the most conservative group of students you will ever encounter, Baylor certainly has its share of stereotypes. In my opinion, the most common stereotype stems from Baylors' Christian background. As an institution founded upon Christian principles as the one of the largest Bapist universities in the United States, you will often hear that Baylor is a school for overly conservative students who will impose their beliefs on you at any given oppurtunity. This certainly isn't true! Yes, every student must enroll in chapel and religion because it is a university requirement, but you must realize that faith is the cornerstone at Baylor. Just like every other university you will meet people of all faiths and beliefs but Baylor strives to hold on to Christian beliefs while allowing students to express their own beliefs as well even if they conflict with those of the university. So, you might meet a few over zealous Christians but this isn't the "norm" but just like any other university we value diversity and this is true for faith as well. A few other stereotypes about students is that we are all geeks or that fraternities and sororities are made up of students who are simple letter-wearers who don't value service or scholarship. These are misconceptions as well about Baylor University.