Baylor University

« See more reviews of Baylor University

For most people, Baylor is a pretty polarizing school. It's pretty unique, so most student either love it or hate it. I love almost everything about Baylor. The size is, in my opinion, perfect. It's a big private school, to where you can meet new people every day, but you'll also usually have someone you know in a lot of your classes. Usually when I tell someone I'm from Baylor, they react with "That's a good school" or don't really know what Baylor is. It seems like there's not too much of an opinion about Baylor out in west Texas, which most people don't realize is in a different time zone. Waco isn't the best of cities, but there are some nicer parts where you can get some food from chains like TGI Fridays or Pei Wei. Waco isn't ultra supportive of Baylor, either like College Station or Lubbock may be, probably because students fear straying too far outside of the "Baylor Bubble." It is nice that Waco is right in between Austin and Dallas, and it's pretty easy to visit either place on weekends, or even go shopping in Hillsboro or Round Rock on a free afternoon (They have great outlet stores). Most of the time on campus I spend is at the Student Life Center, which has decent facilities for a small school. I used to be a swimmer so I'd have to say the pool is substandard, but it has a pretty cool slide and one of those pools that takes you in a circle, as well as a hot tub. I like to study at the Science Building (which is beautiful) or the library, which has a ton of places to study, but gets pretty full around finals. The campus is pretty green and always has pretty flowers (which I swear they spend most of our tuition money) and grassy areas you can lay out on if it's nice out. Baylor's Administration is pretty good in my opinion. Every now and then Dub Oliver will make an appearance, but his wife has a lot more personality than he does, and there's a bit of a running joke on campus that he hasn't been seen since was hired. The staff that I've interacted with has been great. They really have a commitment to the students and want to guarantee that you'll succeed when you leave Baylor. They are generally always willing to help out students. Baylor doesn't have oodles of school pride, maybe because our football team is one of the worst in the Big XII, but that could just be us being in the wrong conference. There are some of those students that are die-hard Baylor fans, though, and they're nice to watch at games and make you feel slightly guilty for not being as hardcore. Something that Baylor's been doing recently that has been making students happy is becoming more green. Apparently, we were the best in the Big XII in that area, which I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I started recycling, so we're kind of getting into the environmentally friendly mode. One of the interesting things about Baylor is our obsession with Dr. Pepper. Every Thursday (or maybe Tuesday, I'm not sure) we have Dr. Pepper hour, where free Dr. Pepper floats will be given out. Dr. Pepper is the only big soft drink sold on campus. At the end of last semester, there was a bunch of controversy because someone started a rumor that Dr. Pepper was being replaced with Coke on campus. I'm still not sure if it was true or not, the NoZe Brothers (secretive prankster organization) might have been behind it.

The thing that I would like to change about Baylor is the Greek Life, if you could say there is one. At Baylor, being a private university they have decided that all Fraternities and Sororities are all equal and have a very close eye on them, so that they do not prefrom any dishonorable actions (drinking, etc...) at least when a few of the brothers or sisters are together. One of the best thing about Baylor is the campus life and the Baylor traditions/experience. Baylor is the perfect size. The classes are small, some have more. There enought student so that everybody doesnt know your business, but small enough that you would see each other on campus walking to class. When I tell people that I attend Baylor they Congratulate me and tell me that it must be nice attending such a prestigious university. That I could do a lot with a degree from Baylor University. I wouldnt say that Waco is a "college town." Waco has a total of three institutions of higher education (Baylor, McLennan Community College, and Texas State Technical College). It does how ever has some aspects of a "college town." The current administration at Baylor is a very active administration. It takes the feedback from students and faculty so they can make Baylor a better place for leaning for both parties. They take in consideration the concerns and questions of students and faculty and the Baylor community. Baylor University has a excepitonal program for school pride. The student show thier school pride constantly and the Waco community and surronding communities show thier support for thier Baylor Bears! Sic 'em! There is not anything that is out of the oridanary, that every other colleges dont have. The one of many experiences that I will always remember is "Welcome Week." This is the week that current students help incoming students move into the dorms, show them around campus, show them the ropes that they have lerned at Baylor, and just tell them about each other in general. I also will remember the day of the "Pudding War"! When Alpha Delta Pi had the war which the sisters had to bring some friends and threw pudding at each other and pudding slip and slides and water ballons The most frequent complaint among students is PARKING! Of course doesnt ever college have this. The other most frequent complaint is the attendance policy. What absence are excused and which one are.

If I had it to do all over again, I would not have picked Baylor. I thought, "Great, Baylor is a larger school in a warm weather environment with a Big 12 football team. This will be fun!" I have never been more incorrect. Baylor tricks you. They show you the pretty campus and new science building and you are sold! They show you the new renovated area with restaurants like Crickets and Ninfas and students think that all of Waco is like that. It is all a facade. In my admissions essay, I wrote about how safe I felt on Baylor's campus when I visited. My first weekend as a student, my car was broken into and my stereo was stolen. There is absolutely nothing to do in Waco. It is a gross and dangerous city. Homeless people peddle their carts around the perimeter of campus and right across from campus, homeless people live under the bridge. And don't even get me started on the Baylor Police. They did not help me when my car got broken into, they bust almost every single party (even the one day we get a year to have fun, Diadeloso), and they are on a complete power trip. Baylor does not help its students--it strangles and suffocates them. I spend no time on campus, except when I sleep because you have to live in the dorms freshman year. And the dorms are totally horrible. You have the tiniest room ever and a hall with a CL. Baylor does not call them RAs, but a CL is a community leader, because Baylor is seriously trying to promote this idea of "community." I have the worst CL ever. She does not try to get to know us or help us do things together. She is mean and rude, and I would never trust her with any information. My first semester at Baylor, I had never felt more alone in my life. People kept telling me that first semester is always hard and it will get better. So I kept waiting for sorority rush, waiting for things to turn for the good. Sorority helped a little bit, but nothing could cure the bad aftertaste Baylor had already left in my mouth. I really do not understand why people like Baylor. I am a social person, am in a very good sorority, study hard, yet I still cannot find happiness at Baylor. The best thing about Baylor is leaving it. I love going to Dallas or even home for the weekends because leaving Baylor feels great! Baylor is not the school it says it is. Beware!

In the grand scheme of things, Baylor is a magnificent school and I am so humbled to be here. I was accepted to UT, A&M, Vanderbilt, and Northwestern, and only rejected by Rice. Baylor has easily the biggest support system for its students. There are more organizations and more ways to get involved here than I have seen at many other universities combined. It's the perfect size student body, approx. 15,000 undergraduates, and is a beautiful, private campus. I often recognize many people just on my day to day bike ride to my classes. I spend most of my time on campus, because there's so much to do on campus than there is off campus (excluding frat parties, which I'm not a big party animal anyways). There is so much school pride here, people that come to Baylor WANT to be here, and they show it. Our football team is #1 in the Big 12 right now, as well as our basketball team is #14 in the nation. The one complaint students will tell you is that the city of Waco sucks. Well, for the most part that is true. Waco is an old city in Texas and a poor one. You wouldn't be able to tell by looking at the Baylor campus though, it's the prettiest campus I've ever seen, excluding Rice down in Houston. So yeah, 26% of Waco citizens live below the poverty line. But Baylor has many mission groups that go out into the city of Waco where students can go and help kids, families who need food, etc. What it really comes down to is what kind of human being do you want to be? Do you want to get drunk off your ass down in Austin or do you want to go five miles into Waco as apart of a student organization who gives clean clothes to the needy. It's your call. (If you want to go to the big cities, both Dallas and Austin are just 90 minutes away on weekends anyways)

Baylor is a bubble within the city of Waco, Texas. The weather is great, but humid. Within this bubble everyone LOVES Baylor. It is very much a haves versus have-nots. If you cross interstate 35 you find the poverty stricken city of Waco. Some Baylor students do outreach ministires to this part, but often I have found that they focus so much on abroad missions they cannot see who their neighbors are. For me Baylor is the perfect sized university. It is small enought that I can compete in competitive sports but it is large enough that our football team is in the Big XII. When you look at Baylor as a potential school look closely at how it's specific schools like the school of Business or School of Music are, because some are definately better rated than others. Baylor is very much a Christian university. It does have it's basis in the Baptist religion, but it is safe to stick with just "christian." Within this you will find quite a few who judge others just as God tells us not to. But because they are bigger and better Christians than you they think they have the right. Just a warning, if you show up to the dining halls on Sunday morning and aren't wearing church attire "SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER" will be the typical response. The most frequent complaints I hear among all students are the extreme difficulty of the religon classes (two are required to graduate) and the complete and totally pointless two sememsters of chapel we must attend for no credit. I personally find the religon classes worthwhile, but very difficult. Chapel is just another of those traditions that the old farts who founded Baylor thought was a good idea and now it will never be changed; so deal with it.

I really like Baylor, it's big enough to where you always meet new people, but small enough to where you see people you know often around campus. You get great one on one attention from the staff if you look for it, they'll take good care of you if you need help. Teaching can be subpar in some areas, but mostly the teachers are pretty good. Class size is generally small, and many teachers will learn your name by the end of the semester. Baylor has a good name to it, and people generally respond by agreeing that it is a good school. Waco isn't necesarrily the best college town around, the people aren't all supportive of the school like they might be in College Station or Lubbock. Waco also isn't the best for having things to do, but it is very close to Dallas and Austin, making it easy to visit those places on the weekends. School pride isn't the highest, there are some Baylor-ed out people, but for the most part we're pretty relaxed, not intense like some UT people may be. When the biggest scandal on campus is that Dr. Pepper may be replaced by Coke, you know you're at a Christian university. It's nice that Baylor is going more green, and we've done a lot to try and help the environment, especially in the last year. The people are pretty nice and the staff is helpful, the education is good, I'd recommend Baylor to anyone looking for a college, but it is a very unique college that doesn't suit everyone, most people either love it or hate it.

Beautiful, beautiful campus. One of my favorite places in the world to be. And I love the weather, there's four seasons and the most awesome storms. Everything is kept green and colorful and trimmed. The peaked towers on most of the buildings give the entire area a real scholarly feel. It's much bigger than I expected, student-to-faculty ratios turn out don't mean much. Most undergrad classes have 100-200 students. But because it's a closed campus it feels more close-knit. Baylor is a great transition to the real world. When I tell people that I go to Baylor(instead of a state school back home), they usually get a surprised look and congradulate me repeatedly. Waco... is not the most exciting or cultured city. But I'm realizing more and more that it has everything that I really need. I usually stay on "our" side of I-35 though. I'm never bored, there's always things to do on or around campus and if not, Waco's great to get some food or go to a movie.

the first 2 years here religion and baylor-ism is shoved down your throat. there is sooo much importance placed upon being part of the 'Baylor Family'. it's very expensive too. everyone here is on scholarship though so most of use are hurting for money. homecoming is really cool. waco is a complete college town. nothing to do other than baylor and MCC. i don't agree with Baylor's money management. the theatre and the art departments have to share a crammed, old, out of date building and our funds seem to be cut every year, yet they throw money to the LOSING football team to build them ANOTHER practice field so that they don't have to drive the 5 minutes to their current ones. poor babies..... :P it's a very pretty school though. and has a good name.

Baylor... home of the rich, the white and the clueless. The only thing that i enjoy about Baylor is their academic program. The politics, the presumptions, and the copious amounts of ridiculous rules.... not so wonderful. I spend as much time OFF the campus as I can, dont get me wrong, it is beautiful and well kept... but i have no desire to spend any more time being judged by my peers than is necessary. The town sucks, there arent that many good places to go out, there arent really any good places period. I love Baylor because i know that i am getting a good education, but i wish that i would have done more research before moving across the country to go here.... i dont think that it is as good of a fit as another college might have been.

Baylor is a great school overall. The class sizes are small so your professors really get to work with you a lot better. The staff here really does care about their students, from what I've experienced. The campus is a great size, in that you can walk from one class to the next with no problem, but the school is still large enough to offer almost any program you could want. The campus itself is amazing, it's a breath of fresh air from class to class. Outside of baylor campus, there are a few bars/clubs/nightlife spots and a couple parks to go to. As far as college towns go, Waco isn't the most active, but then again Dallas, Houston, and Austin aren't that far of a drive away.