Baylor University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Baylor University

Alaina

I have truly enjoyed my time at Baylor University. I have felt welcomed and safe in the environment and have made so many new friends. Baylor is big in diversity and I am always excited to meet people with different backgrounds and cultures to share. The campus is gorgeous and just small enough to encourage community. I have loved being a Baylor Bear!

Cameron

Baylor is a great school for academics. However, a lot of people in greek life are very exclusive and if you're not in a fraternity or sorority or are best friends with someone who is you'll often feel left out. Also, there's not much to do on or around campus and sometimes weekends can feel very boring, especially in after rush starts. Baylor is a very home-y place, but if you're an out of state student who comes in not knowing a lot of people the transition will be tough.

Amber

I love Baylor! It is such a great university to attend. The students and the teachers are really interested and active in classes and other organizations around campus. Baylor has smaller classes so the teachers really try to get to know you as a person, and try to help you anyway they can.

Ta'Lour

I believe that Baylor overall is a really good campus. I am forever thankful for all the opportunities that the school has allowed me to have, I love my school and all its ways. The school is great and all the things that I have been taught there will take me a long way in life.

Salman

What I love most about Baylor is the fact that community welcomes you with open arms and thinks of you as their own. Live on campus is fun and activities doesn't revolve around drinking and sex, there is a lot of other things to do. Academics are important as scholarships, aid and dorm rooms are tied to good performance. Sports are top notch. Waco isn't much fun but it's much better than general perception, if you don't like it then no issue as university is a fun bubble to be in. There are many good programs but pre health programs have this advantage that Baylor alumni and Baylor regents run boards of Baylor College of Medicine and Baylor Hospitals so Baylor graduates have an advantage when it comes to research, internships, admissions and jobs. Baylor is one of the best network for health professionals in Dallas. Overall, I came here for National Merit Scholarship and picked it over Rice, UT, UTD and UNT and I have no regrets at all.

Morgan

I really enjoy attending Baylor. I have made many friends, enjoy numerous activities, and like my professors. The atmosphere is open and friendly. Food is terrific. I enjoy the athletic functions and facilities. Courses while hard but the professors are available for help if it is needed.

Sam

I am in love with Baylor University! This college truly does feel like home away from home, and I cannot see myself at any other university. I have made wonderful friends and connections in the short time that I have been here. The professors genuinely care about their students. If you are looking for a caring and welcoming community, Baylor is the place for you.

Isaac

I love Baylor. It's a place where it's okay to stumble because everyone, from staff to student, will be there to help you get back on the horse on the road to achieve your goals. It's a place to voice your opinion and not start a protest, but a dialogue. The campus is 20 minutes across walking, 5-7 biking, so it's very close together. You run into people you know, but there is enough to space to meet new people quite often.

Alex

At first, attending Baylor seems intimidating. You are required to take additional courses, such as Chapel and Christian Scriptures and Heritage. These classes are used to plug students into campus and get involved with on-campus activities. The food is decent, because penland stays open late, which also makes access to food easier and more convenient. Fountain mall is the best social spot on campus and Moody is the typical library used for studying.

Alyssa

Baylor University is a university that does have a few good programs, but is a little much for the price. Their math department is really bad amongst all students and needs a lot of work. As far as student life, Baylor offers many student activities, but the school overall does not have much diversity and can give those use to it a big culture shock.

Danielle

While I greatly enjoyed attending Baylor, there are things that I would definitely change. Some professors are not always readily available and some of the pre-requisite classes are a little ridiculous. While they are great classes offered, people do not always get to partake in them because of the required classes that need to be taken. Also, there really is not much to do in Waco, Texas which makes it difficult to find things off campus to partake in and enjoy. There is not that much to do off campus, except for a couple of things downtown. It's hard to make plans that do not involve on campus life.

Emma

Baylor University is a great place to live and study. The campus is home to great students and caring faculty. In only my first semester, I've been given incredible opportunities to use and develop my talents. I am grateful for the opportunity to study, grow, and explore and am confident that Baylor University is preparing me for the next step on life's journey.

Demitra

I absolutely love Baylor University! Baylor is the perfect balance between a sweet private university and a big D1 university. As a student athlete I love the Baylor pride both on and off campus. Academically, the teachers really do care about their students. I was walking on the sidewalk and one of my first semester professors remembered me by name. This really meant a lot and showed the teachers at Baylor care about our well-being.

Baylor University has been a place that I have come to call home. Although recent political allegations have occurred, and a lot of bad publicity has been released regarding our school, I have never felt more included in community. The environment at Baylor is very "family" oriented. We love our bears, our teams, faculty, and professors. The baptist philosophy and faith has been a fundamental part of my education. Baylor has been my greatest decision, and I will forever "fling my green and gold afar".

Joseph

I am very pleased with my experiences at Baylor. Everyone present wants those around them to succeed. Professors go out of their way to make sure their students learn, food servers ask how you're doing and even the faculty will greet you with a smile. Baylor is also the ideal school to make the most out of your academic and religious goals. Combined with a stellar sports program, weekly activities, numerous organizations and beautiful architecture, Baylor University is an ideal institution for higher education.

Danielle

nice

Ambree Meek

Baylor University is a great University. From the new housing, new football stadium, gorgeous campus, new academic facilities, and more, this is a great university. I love how it is a private Christian University, and has staff that are both encouraging and make time to get to know you personally. Its the perfect size. You make friends that end up knowing your other friends somehow, but you are still constantly making new connections. Wonderful.

MARIAH

It’s cool

Michelle

I LOVE Baylor and all it stands for. Campus is small enough so that I recognize people all the time, yet large enough so that I'm interacting with new people every day. My classes are small (even in my introductory courses) and my professors are so personal, I have some of their phone numbers so that I can still keep in touch with them. Baylor is the best.

Jasmine

After surviving my first eight weeks at school, my experience at Baylor has changed my definition of the word "home", making my overall opinion of Baylor University being a place more than worthy enough to call home. With all the traditions, unique people, academic opportunities, and undiscovered study spots Baylor has definitely surpassed my expectations of college, and I couldn't see myself going to school anywhere else.

Lindsey

I held his gaze for what seemed like minutes; I held it combatively and wistfully all at once, willing him to come closer. He scurried away. Baylor squirrels are not like other squirrels that I have been acquainted with during my time on earth. Baylor squirrels are plump and orange, thick with fur and just barely too bold. These traits make relating the Baylor student population to a Baylor squirrel quite effortless. The Baylor student population is lively and colorful, vibrant and rich with ideas and dreams. We seek all the nuts of wisdom and experience the world has to offer; we work day and night to gather all the tools necessary to have prosperous minds, bodies, relationships and careers. Unlike squirrels originating in other places, Baylor squirrels gather through intense heat and perilous weather- just like their fellow students. WHOOSH! I jumped back in initial surprise, a Baylor squirrel had just shot through a nearby bush at me. 'They are so bold,' I thought to myself. In the same way, Baylor students are bold. We protest each other, we protest our own administration- unafraid to hold one of our own accountable. If we see wrong, we speak up. We are not intimidated by position, nor by possible consequences. Many characterize Baylor University by the circumstances surrounding the culture of a few. Their allegations, experiences and actions are national news. As a family, we protect our own. With this in mind, when a family member does something wrong- we do not cover it up egregiously. We take responsibility and we rebuild- stronger. The true culture of Baylor University is rare. It is a place I take honor in being a part of.

Katherine

It is a great place to get a holistic and Christian education. There are plenty of opportunities for student involvement. The classes are educational without being boring. It is expensive and I wish they offered more academic scholarships but overall it is a great place to attend college.

Alexandria

Baylor is a great school that has treated me well. We may have our issues with the administration and sports, but the friends that I have made and my professors are great people. Sometimes the school can be a bit too religious for me, but it does appeal to a lot of people. My least favorite thing are Baylor is the location. I am not used to living in such a small town. In short, I have lived close to a major city my whole life.

Ty'Reeona

I am a visitor to Baylor University and I find it extremely incredible the way the Campus looks in general it is very clean it looks like it's very well taken care of the people there look like they're actually that to learn I'm pretty sure everyone has the college spirit It's just really great it's a very great environment when you visit.

Amany

I love it there! Everyone I've encountered has been nothing but friendly and approachable. The facilities available are amazing and very well maintained. The professors are passionate and always willing to answer questions and help out. I feel like I'm at home when I'm there. I couldn't have chosen a better university to attend!

Cameron

Baylor University is a great university and I could not imagine myself attending anywhere else. Baylor has helped me grow a lot academically, spiritually, and emotionally since I left home, and I am very thankful for that. I definitely appreciated how available the professors are and how willing they are to sit down with you and help you with any problems you are having with their curriculum. I could not imagine a better place to attend!

Analisa

You want the real scoop on what it’s like to be a Baylor Bear? Well, prepare yourself for the words that are about to follow this sentence. College, in general, is freaking amazing. It’s a person’s first taste of true independence. No curfews, no dress-codes, and no one to tell you what you can and can’t do with your life. However, there are a few terms and conditions that the majority of us tend not to realize until it’s too late, especially if you attend Baylor University. It’s a Christian university, meaning that its students are expected to follow Christian standards. No alcohol or drugs (although no one genuinely cares about that rule), and, believe it or not, a regulation on relationships. As an incoming freshman, a student will sign a contract that basically says he or she will not have sex while in college. I can hear your laughing through my computer screening, don’t feel ashamed. On the other hand, Baylor provides challenging academics and a diverse student community. You’ll never get bored, especially with the outrageous sports events, including football, and recreation activities. Attending this college, however, isn’t cheap. As a private institution, tuition is more than fifty thousand dollars a year. But if you plan on earning a high-paying degree, like the majority of students, or your family is stupidly rich, Baylor is a good college to attend. I’ve met amazing people and learned a lot, both inside and outside classes.

Leslie

Baylor's campus is beautiful, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a student. The professors walk-in excited to every class which motivates you to continue moving forward. Every event gives you a reason to continue contributing and being a part of their Christian Community. Their Greek Culture does not revolve around the typical "College Parties" instead they are involved deeply with volunteering and helping our hospitals and local communities. I have achieved not only my academic goals but have also grown spiritually. This is how you know you've chosen the right college.

Bryanne

Baylor is my home away from home! I'm from California and I feel completely welcomed by students and faculty! The professors care about your grades, the dorms are clean, but the people are the best part of all. You will likely meet you best friends as I have!

Selena

The campus is a community where people are genuine. You will always be able to find people to share your college experience with. There are so many organizations and things to do around the campus and the city of Waco is an experience in itself. You don't need to go off campus for an adventure, but it's still recommended.

Vanesa

One of the things I love about Baylor University is it's Christian community. There are tons of activities where you will have friends who share the same belief as you, so you know where to turn to when you need advice. In general, Baylor is a great university and I would recommend anyone to come and attend.

Frances

It's a great school, both academically and on the field :) beautiful campus and helpful professors, too!

Andrea

It is a wonderful place if you're looking for a school big enough to have a football program but intimate enough to have that small-school feel. Professors, peers, and staff truly care and invest in the students' lives. Socially, Greek life is big but I have thrived without being a part of it. Baylor is committed to seeing students as more than just another name. I have loved my time here.

Hellen

Although Baylor has been painted in a negative light for the past months, this should not stop prospective students from enrolling at this university. Since media tends to focus on the flaws of an institution, the news does not address the efforts that the school has since established in response so that title nine cases are handled in the right manner. The administration has even required professors to include title nine on their syllabi. Prospective students may worry about their reputation if they choose to go to Baylor and may wonder how the freshman class of 2020 is reacting to all that has happened since the summer. Personally, I can say I love this school and would not change my decision to come here if I was given the chance to. From the challenging academics that reveal how professors truly desire their students to succeed to the fun traditions such as the freshman Baylor line that runs before every home football game, Baylor has truly become home for me. Not only does this school provide opportunities for students to explore their interests and future career in the class room; Baylor also offers many clubs and activities for them to serve the community as well as cultivate essential life skills that would not be learned through the typical fifteen credit hours a semester. Most students and faculty genuinely care about a student’s success as well as spiritual and mental health as shown through their willingness to pray and talk to each other about personal struggles. As for living on campus, Baylor offers a variety of living situations where each dorm offers a different kind of community so that any student can find their fit. Living in Brooks Residential College has taught me to appreciate the different people I meet through the activities that the living and learning center offers. Baylor’s dining halls are not bad either, and I, along with any Baylor student, would recommend the flying saucers and Miss May’s cookies that are served at Memorial. Sporting events are free to the student body, and so is the gym. Campus is not too big so walking to class is definitely doable though I would recommend buying a bike or Razor scooter depending on how far apart the classes are from the dorm.

Alaska

I have a mixed salad of emotions for my opinion of Baylor. Let us start with academics. From an academic standpoint, Baylor is superb, especially if you are a pre-med or business student. The small class sizes, face to face professor communication, and abundance of major-oriented organizations and volunteer activities provide a splendid environment for any student to flourish. However, from a student body standpoint, Baylor is not the greatest. The school is by no means diverse, with a majority of the students being white. There is little intermingling of races, and most people hang out with their same culture. On top of that, many of the students cling to the stereotypical "frat or sorority" stereotypes. Coming from the incredibly diverse city of Austin, most of the student body is not my cup of tee. On a side note: due to the high poverty rate in the city of Waco, their are an exponential number of volunteering opportunities that Baylor offers to help out the community, a definite plus if your goal in life is helping others. So, to conclude, in my opinion it is only worth going to Baylor if you are a pre-med or business student due to the insane tuition and sub-par student body.

Jackson

The school is expensive, but if you've made it this far you probably already know that. It has an excellent environment on campus and I've never felt less than safe. The most important thing to know about Baylor is that the people here are fairly intelligent and willing to have fun. It is not a bad school at all.

I am a double major in biology and spanish and I believe Baylor University is a great college for people with many different majors, especially those wanting to pursue a major in the sciences. In addition, this university offers its students the ability to pursue many extracurricular activities such as mission trips, volunteer opportunities, and intramural sports. Therefore, I believe this is a great university that is very open to many and a great place to call home (away from home).

Emeka

Baylor University is a profound Baptist Christian school that promotes a Christ centered learning environment. It is a university that promotes the cultivation of your individual walk with God, while still being open to other students who may posses a non Christian mindset or different religious background. The academic setting is in the upper tear such as that of an ivy league. The professor are very much so accessible, and go out of their way to make sure each student understands the curriculum. The school believes in academic integrity, and the best way to ensure that is to provide all the resources needed to naturally succeed. On a leisurely scale, the school involves all students in athletic and artistic affairs to name a few. The Baylor Line that runs at the beginning of home football games is a spectacle that demonstrates fun, goofiness, and school spirit/ unity. Baylor University is a great school that has a major for all people.

Ryan

The university provides a variety of unique opportunities for students. The school has wonderful professors and consistently good food. There are a variety of locations nearby in downtown Waco, but they aren't super flashy. The christian environment at Baylor helps students to feel safe and loved.

Kelsey

Baylor University is an awesome school that I feel helps foster an environment that makes it easy to learn as much as possible. The student to faculty ratio is small enough that I feel as though I have the opportunity to build relationships with my professors. The campus is beautiful especially in spring time. The academic buildings are large and up-to-date on modern technology. I could not have picked a better university to further my education.

Hunter

Baylor University is a great place to find community while pursuing higher education. The campus is beautiful. The residence halls are very nice making it easy to adjust to being away from home. The faculty are caring and available when you need them.

Jake

Baylor is a great place to be apart of. It feels like a second home filled with friends and teachers alike that make Baylor what it is today. As a person who does not go out much, I was pleasantly surprised by how fun and exciting it was to go on excursions with fellow classmates and meet new people along the way. I love Baylor and would recommend it to anyone looking for both a prestigious and friendly university to attend.

Savannah

I personally love Baylor and the people that attend and work here. The community is amazing and the environment is beautiful. Baylor gives students the feeling of being at home, no matter the distance from their actual home. In my opinion, no other school compares.

Josh

First of all the campus is beautiful. Second the campus size is very easily accessible, every part of the campus is within walking distance. The food on campus is very good. The class sizes are small so you get an intimate learning experience from the professors.

Nina

I actually transferred out of the school. If you are already used to living in Texas, it's a very nice and safe campus. There are many fraternities and sororities. The food is pretty decent. There is not much to do in Waco compared to major cities. However, the school is EXTREMELY Christian, so if that is not your thing, don't go. The professors also do not really care about you, so you are kind of on your own.

Jillian

Baylor University is the best university on the planet. Nothing beats the small class sizes and familial atmosphere here. Professors care about you, not only academically, but also emotionally and mentally. The culture is so accepting, and it is so easy to feel at home here.

Baylor University prides itself as being an unabashedly Baptist institution, which I completely agree with. However, Baylor University encourages a culture of homogeneity; political opinion and religious belief are incredibly similar throughout the campus, and any deviance is discouraged. As someone who is not religious, I do feel as though I am constantly being evangelized to and am attending a summer church camp. Clubs that are incongruent with the school's philosophy, such as LGBTQ+ and pro-choice clubs, are not tolerated. In fact, the school does not allow those clubs to even be formed. Sexuality is hardly talked about and homosexuality is ignored in psychology classes. Baylor is also in a location with hardly any restaurants and activities, barring fast food. The only redeeming factors about Baylor is that it is a beautiful campus, class sizes are small, and that professors are generally available to help students achieve success in their classes.

Jocelyn

Baylor is a school that you need to adjust to as an out of state student because about half of the student population is actually from Texas and they have an established culture with each other. There is a stigma that it is a "rich kid" school and while that is truer than not, you will meet plenty of students from different backgrounds who are hard working and looking for the opportunity to better their education. It is not the end of the world if you don't rush a sorority or fraternity but as someone who did not rush, it was harder to make friends and meet people outside of classes. Academics are very rigorous and it has taught me to better my study habits in order to succeed. Office hours vary from professors because some have regular schedules and some are only available outside of class through email and it is hard to communicate any questions you have. Freshmen have many opportunities the first year with many events to meet new people and often your hall in your dorm will have interactive events as well so you can meet people that live around you and learn about their majors.

Adrian

Baylor is such a great school considering the culture and the people that go to the school. It’s like everyone has their own little niche in the school. Everyone is smart but everyone has a specific area where they specialize. I am the political/ social science junkie and I would go to the gym and be talking to someone who’s talent is dancing, then later on go get dinner or something and be eating with the son of a prominent oil tycoon. Great environment to network and great academics with guidance to beefed up your experience.

Samuel

I am a first-semester freshman, so the difficulty and stress of choosing a college is fresh in my mind. Even though I have only been at Baylor for a few months, I am completely confident that I am at the right place! The size and balance of the school is perfect for me. Baylor has all the resources of a large public university, so I always have access to the tools and facilities that I need for academic success. Baylor is also small enough to foster inviting and genuine community. Ultimately the community is what I love most about Baylor. There are no "unwritten" barriers between freshmen and the upperclassmen, or between those involved in Greek Life and those who are not. I am truly known, and truly know others at Baylor. I am part of a family.