Baylor University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Baylor University

Tyler

Baylor is a good school with great intentions. It is deeply rooted in Christianity and guides students to prosperous futures. I have small issues with how Baylor handles academic and social issues. Such as the academic dishonesty cases where teachers have intentionally manipulated information to fail a student, or the mandatory attendance policy.

John

Baylor University is an incredible mid-size school. Between their facilities and educational standards, they allow every student to have an equal chance to be the best that they can be with the gifts that they have been given. After visiting Balor University, I immediately knew that it was going to be my new home, and I spoke with my parents and paid the deposit within a week!

gracie

Coming from out of state, at first, I wasn't sure if Baylor was the place for me, but after finishing my first year I have no doubt I'm at the right school. Baylor's authentic Christian commitment and academic rigor challenge me to become better, but also remind me to stay humble in my humanness, and handle adversity with grace. Baylor has brought me some of the best people I have ever met and created memories that will last a lifetime! I'd recommend it to anyone.

Savannah

Baylor University is a great place for students to plug into a relationship god by building relationships with others! There is a great community on campus, and friendly faces everywhere! Politeness and respect is the rock that this university is built upon, but of course there's room for plenty of fun! The campus is beautiful, and it's pretty common to see students meandering about the fountains, studying or just enjoying that warm Texas heat. Baylor is a great place to go if you want to connect with others, and connect with yourself.

Baylor University strives on family values and religion. The second you step onto the campus you are embraced with warmth and acceptance. There is always someone around that you can talk to about academics, religion, or even life in general. Baylor University is a home away from home that you can always return to.

Kate

I love it! I will be attending in the fall and I can’t wait. I have been visiting Baylor for so many years and I am excited to finally attend. Everything I have seen so far tells me this will be a great experience at a great college. I really not everything is perfect, but it is pretty close

Meredith

Most of Baylor is nice and welcoming. However, the students can be a little close-minded. Baylor is majority conservative Christian and is passionate about football. The curriculum and rules are a bit strict, Christianity-focused, and can be a bit much even for many Christians at the university. However, for many majors it is a great opportunity, especially sciences and business. There can be many open-minded people found if you look. Yet it is very overpriced and Greek life is a big part of campus. The campus is very beautiful and there are many unique assets the campus has for students.

EZRHIEL

I've met really great people at Baylor, there's always going to be a professor nobody likes, or small groups of people that make the experience a little less bearable. But overall, everyone tries to be friendly and welcoming. The residential dorms are being renovated, the food is getting better. Some of the professors may seem dry in lecture, but during their office hours they're really helpful and just want to see you succeed.

Leilani

I am going to attend Baylor in the fall, and I have visited the campus many times. Each time I visit the campus I fall more and more in love with it. I attended the Baylor premiere in the fall, and I attended some of the academic sessions offered there. It was an amazing experience, and all the people are super nice and really helpful. I can't wait to be a student there. Sic'em Bears!

Nikole

Overall, I would say that Baylor is a university that any student would be blessed to have the opportunity to attend. Not only are the academics stellar, but everyone is so friendly! The financial aid office and the counselors are so helpful. Had it not been for them, I may not have been able to receive the funding needed to attend Baylor. Financial aid was somewhat confusing for me but the staff at Baylor made sure that the process went smoothly! The campus is beautiful. I've toured dozens of college campuses, but Baylor by far has the most beautiful campus. It's one of the oldest universities west of the Mississippi, so most of the buildings are brick, but everything is so well preserved! There are tons of off-campus housing options for a very affordable price! I feel pretty safe on campus and there are always plenty of patrol cars driving around. Football is a way of life at Baylor. If you're a big football fan, this school is for you! I would say that the best part about Baylor is the people. As I said, everyone is super nice and helpful. The people at Baylor genuinely care about you and your success! Baylor is in Waco, and honestly, Waco isn't the most beautiful place I've ever been to, but it has its nice parts and its bad parts. Magnolia is really cool and one of my favorite places in Waco. But anything outside of the "Baylor Bubble" I would stay out of. It's about halfway between Austin and Dallas, so getting to either of those two cities is fairly easy!

Kelby

It is a great school and it feels like being a part of one big family. There are so many opportunities to be involved in any interest an individual may have. Baylor outdoes themselves and I live for all the special Baylor traditions. I attend the best university ever!

Michelle

On the surface level, Baylor University is a school filled with genuinely pleasant people and has a fairly singular demographic of students. However, when you live at Baylor you see that the people surrounding you are your community. A family where people are constantly open to conversation and enjoy college life even in the midst of finals. The small class sizes really allow you to get to know your classmates and professors, creating a comfortable environment for learning. Furthermore, the academic rigor and customizability of your courses makes it possible for you to challenge yourself and take courses that are of interest to you. On-campus living buildings are often clean and have a small community of students with similar interests and focuses as you. While campus food is only good at certain dining halls, the possibilities and choices are relatively open, especially with the multitude of foods and huge grocery stores available. Baylor also offers a great environment of support where you can choose to partake in whatever activities you would like, but it is also where the culture does not necessarily push or encourage a set standard. Baylor’s greatest benefit is in the fact that its student body is actually very diverse when it comes to ideologies and perspectives, making in- and out-of-class discussions challenging yet enriching. Baylor’s downfall is really where there are extracurricular activities. It is relatively difficult to find a suitable organization that is organized and requires moderate involvement, rather than an excessive amount. As a pre-medical student, it is also difficult to find research opportunities where we can contact professors easily.

Regan

Baylor University is extremely committed to providing an excellent academic experience for all of its students. The multi-faceted emphasis on an interdisciplinary education can be uniquely found at Baylor. It's a university that turns out good people, and not just students. I couldn't imagine a better undergraduate experience than at this university.

Michelle

Baylor is definitely a unique university. It's somehow managed to merge a love for Christ, a dedication to exceptional academics, a community of acceptance and diversity, and a constant upholding of prestige all into one. Though it's a relatively small university, the community (both staff and student alike) feels like family - not to mention I absolutely LOVE how much we cherish fun traditions like homecoming bonfires and "sailgate" parties on the river! Overall, Baylor is a "worth it" university.

Jasleen

The transition into Baylor can sometimes be a rough one because the culture of the university is quite religious but after a while you do get used to it and find it nice to have a reminder of how important a good moral foundation is. Game days are the best and you're sure to meet some very kind and genuine people!

Madelynn

If you're looking for excellent academics, beautiful campus, and a community of friendly people, Baylor University is the place for you. Baylor also prides itself on its Christian faith-based mission, though it welcomes students of all backgrounds and beliefs to its campus and classrooms. Being a student at Baylor is like belonging to a family; though it is a big school, it has a small-school feel. You'll feel connected to fellow students, faculty, and staff, and rarely will you go a day without running into someone you know. Those who work at Baylor want to see you succeed -- academically, personally, professionally, and spiritually -- and provide plenty of opportunities for growth both inside and outside of the classroom. It is the ideal school for those who want a challenge, want to reach their goals, and want a committed and loving friend group or mentors during their college experience.

Christina

I am excited to attend Baylor University as it is my dream university, but I do believe that it should be a safer campus. We should be able to feel safe and secure while in the dorms and inside and outside the campus.

fred

If you want first rate faculty, go someplace else. If you want intellectually driven faculty go someplace else. If you want something more than black letter, if you want intellectual challenges to the common view, go someplace else. Leadership is focused on fund raising and does not pay attention to improving the student experience. Writing courses are terrible, school hires whatever adjunct they can get for those

Jillian

I went to Baylor for a year and transferred. Here’s the tea on Baylor: WORTH THE READ... -COST: I got a pretty good scholarship and Baylor was still $50,000 a year for me. Now this wouldn’t be a problem with me if Baylor had really nice amenities. But to me, it doesn’t. Baylor has the vibe of a state school, but the price is wayyy higher. -ACADEMICS: I can say that after my year at Baylor, I didn’t learn anything. I learned a lot each year of high school. Baylor has extremely hard required classes for freshmen (i.e. Christian Scriptures). I’ve talked to people at other colleges, and in my opinion, Baylor’s intro classes are way harder than they need to be. -PROFESSORS: In my opinion, the professors at Baylor have the attitude that they are doing you a favor by even being in your presence. I did not think the professors teaching abilities matched up to the $50,000 price tag. I had a professor who spoke broken English (precalc professor no less), a professor who ignored my disability accomidations for being late to class (not sure how that was even legal), etc. My friends there had similar experiences/attitudes. -FOOD: The dining hall food was not good. I’ve visited 18 colleges in my life, and have eaten at every one. Baylor’s food is one of the worst (people call Penland “p-nasty”). Not only that, but the dining halls are only open at weird/inconvient hours, and close on the weekends. -SOCIAL LIFE: I think the over the top academics take a toll on the social life at Baylor. People don’t smile when they walk around campus. At my dorm, there was hardly anyone in the common area. I hardly ever made friends in class or at dining halls, because people get in and get out. It’s an exhausting place to be so I understand why. **Also noticed many bookworm and quirky personality types. -DISABILITY CARE: The Office of Accomidations and Learning Accessibility doesn’t pull much weight with professors except for testing and shuttle transportation. -GREEK LIFE: I’ve heard that you can’t get in to a sorority if you don’t have a 3.0. I wasn’t able to meet this because I got a chronic illness my first semester and came out with a 2.91. Was cut from every sorority except the least popular one (which I’m a legacy for) after day 1. Also, they wait until January to do recruitment. I used to think that would be nice, but it wasn’t. It would have been so much nicer to have had it first semester because it’s so hard to make friends at a big school like this. They made us go to Panhellinic Previews all throughout the first semester, and had to talk to unfriendly sorority girls who didn’t care to be there. They don’t even have houses, yet the whole recruiting process felt very snobby to me.

Kareem

I am an online student so anything that is on campus doesn't apply to me, but from what I hear it is a great place to be. I love the football culture at Baylor and I'm always seeing gamedays tweets. Even though I'm a distance learner, I feel connected to the school.

Antoine

I love Baylor University. Its nice to know that there is a school that tried to embody all the things that it claims to believe in the midst of a crazy world. It truly is an environment that fosters creativity, collaboration and relational development. I can hardly wait to go back in the Fall!

It is a beautiful school. The people are incredibly kind. It is deeply religious, and the Christian faith is very important on campus. The religious factor doesn't impact the outstanding professors and excellent learning environment. Also, there are live bears named lady and joy, and you can visit them whenever you like.

Yannis

I feel it offered an opportunity to accomplish my goal. I wanted to do the Pre-Med curriculum and get a degree outside of science. The Business Fellows programs allowed me to create my own path with the flexibility of 90 elective hours which were geared toward expanding my knowledge base. I took classes from music and logic to biochemistry and accounting. I felt prepared for my next step and plan on attending graduate school this summer.

Andrew

Baylor is religiously affiliated, as it is the biggest Baptist university in the United States. It is not required that an individual be religious to attend Baylor, therefore it creates a friendly, diverse, and exciting environment. There are plenty of extracurricular groups to get involved in, both for pleasure and for resumes. The campus is beautiful, with both historical monuments and astonishing buildings. The on campus food is marvelous when comparing to other schools, and the sports teams are always competitive. Not to mention, the academics are extremely prestigious and professors/class sizes are ideal. It is a great overall university to consider.