Becker College Top Questions

The first advice that I net.would tell my high school self would to develop time management skills before I get to college. One of the biggest troubles I have with college is tracking my time efficiently enough to get my work done. I had a huge problem with procrastination in high school that I wished I fixed before I started attending college. It is so much harder to manage time at college because you don't attend school the same hours exact hours everyday like in high school. The next piece of advice I would give my high school self would to start working on college stuff much sooner than I did. I was turning in stuff last minute which stressed me out so much. Becker College also did't get my deposit for housing right so I thought I had no time to fix it. I also wished I took advantage of the multiple scholarship options that my high school offered. The scholarships that my high school offered were much easier to fill out and apply for than most of the scholarships I would find using the Internet.

Marissa

Lookng back at things that I could have done different in my senior year I definitely wish that I would have taken more AP classes to better myself and make myself work harder than I did throughout my senior year. I only took two AP classes (Biology and Psychology) and I wish that I could have taken the time to study hard, and excel in both classes. I also would tell my past self to apply for ore scholarships because everything helps. I would tell my past self that college is not as scary as I expected it to be, and that you will find time to be with friends, do your work, and have a job. Everything that happens, happens for a reason and you will always find a way to make it work.

I would tell myself to take more AP classes. The more AP classes I could have taken, the fast I could graduate and take classes more specific to my major soon. I would also tell myself to pay more attention in my Person Finance class. It would have helped me with the FAFSA application, applying for loans, and managing my money while at school with no income. Also, I would have made myself apply for scholarships. I only applied for 3 and got nothing out of it. It would hae helped me greatly with lowering my tuition.

Randall

The advice that I would give myself is to not wait till the last minute for homework and other assignments. This will just be a huge stress load. Once an assignment is given to you get that done right away. This will make life so much easier. Also I wish I knew making new friends would be so easy. I was stressing over meeting new people and having to make new friends all over again and it was so easy. The next thing I would tell myself is since your paying for college you might as well try your best. This is not high school no one is looking out for you except your self. Your future relise on these next four years and you want to give it your best. The last thing that I would tell my self is that these next four years are going to be some of the best years of your life and that when a new opportunity shows up do not be afraid to just run with it. Becasue you never know what direction your life will take.

Holly

In high school I had the “all work and no play” attitude. Right after I got my driving license I applied for a job and immediately started working. I knew I needed to pay for my insurance, gas, bills, but most of all college. I knew that I wanted to go to college but finances would be the big challenge. So, as soon as I got out of school I would immediately drive down to work and be there late into the night. This didn’t leave much time for study and I found myself squeezing minutes into hours whenever I could to finish all my class work. Even though this did keep me out of the classic high school trouble, it was also most stressful time of my life. After work I was always study scrunching for the exam I had the next day leaving my brain overheated and exhausted while my friends out. Somehow I still pulled off a high honors. My advice to myself would be to work part time, focus on grades, and to lighten up on the all work and no play rule. In fact it’s proven that having fun positively impacts academic performance.

Linda

If I could go back, I would tell myself to keep going. My educational goals are far too important to set aside for other people. I would tell myself not to worry about married life, it won't last the first time, and to focus on school and continue with my education to better myself. I would also tell myself that my mom is usually (99{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the time) right!

Danielle

I would tell myself that when you go look at schools have a list of things that you want for your college. Like major, sports, living situation. Then when you step on that campus and you get that feeling that this school is for you then it probably is what is best for you and will be the best college experience for you.

stefanie

Dont be afraid to make friends. These other people around you will not biteand I'm sure if you say hello to some of them they will actually say hello back and talk to you. Dont give up on your classes when they get hard, college will be more difficult for you. Things may not come as easily as they do now but hey! you can always ask someone for help. There are students you could meet up with and form a study group, or ask for a tutor so you dont feel so overwhelmed. If you stick with one path you'll go far and continue to have the same passion you do now when your finished. You just have to get through the hard parts. If 5 classes a semester seems to be too much, then take 4 classes. And remember, dont forget to ask for help if you need to, no one will think less of you just because you dont quite understand the class discussions. College will be a fun experience and you will learn alot from it.

Maggie

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would tell myself to relax and it is not as bad as you thought it would be. Moving in the dorm is exciting and when you see some of the other people living in the dorm get to know them better before you judge them. You will find out that everyone is quite interesting and friendly. When going to class the first time do not be terrified the professors are friendly and like to help you out as much as they can. Also, when you have big papers due do not procrastinate, it will make you stressout for no reason. One important thing is do not get mixed up in all the fighting that happens, it will only make life at school hard and it really is not worth it. So just remember to relax, work hard, make friends, and enjoy your time because the semsters go by fast. and just be who you are and you will do just fine.

Gia

To my younger self, I would advise more research be done in choosing a college and career. I would have told my younger self to utilize as many resources as possible, i.e. Guidance counselors, teachers, public library staff to start the college bound process. I would urge my younger self to speak to college freshmen that I knew of or seek to find in order to inquire about first and second year experience and advice. Taking more college tours and sitting in on college classes would be another key event to pursue in order to get a tangible idea of what college life is like. I would also advise my younger self to seek entrance counselors at ideal colleges to gain further information. Some much needed advice for my younger self would be to start the process of creating a budget. I would want my younger self to become savvy in the financial aspect of picking the right college. I would task myself with creating a budget to determine financial responsibility and obligation. Lastly, I would stress the importance of starting at a Community College and opening the door to transfer opportunities.

Justin

I would advise myself to focus more on getting good grades in high chool. Grades are a form of permanent record that will follow you everywhere you go while seeking employment. Good grades open up new opportunities and show employers what you are capable of.

Kayli

My college experience has shaped me in all aspects of my life. I grew up in a small town and throughout high school I could not wait for something new and exciting to happen in my life. For me, that new and exciting experience was college. Meeting new people from all over expanded my horizons and made me more of a well rounded person. The relationships I have made with new friends and teachers has enhanced my self confidence and made me more sociable. The learning that I have already attained in only two years of College is incredible. It gives me great pleasure when someone asks how I am doing to be able to reply that I am in the process of completing the nursing program at Becker College. College gives you a sense of accomplishment that you can keep with you your entire life and is what will allow me to take part in my passion to become a nurse. I have found College valuable to attend because I found myself to mature, become more independent, learn something new every day, and attain a sense that I can achieve anything I put my mind to.

Patricia

I have learned a lot from my classes and it has been a really knowledge filled experience but I think just as importantly I have opened up as a person. I have made such good friends and learned a lot about people in general. I learned a lot about myself as a person as well. College has presents many temptations such as drinking but I was never one to fall to pressure and I think it has built my confidence knowing that I can still stand up to it. I know its hard to believe but I've found a group of friends and non of us have ever drank or done drugs. I know it's hard to believe but we love to go for walks and watch movies and play board games. I think we've all made our families proud with the choices we've made and I know that they are thankful that we found each other because we enjoy simple things and just spending time together.

I am a very active on my college campus. In the three years I have attended college I had been apart of the drama program, Student activities committee, which I won the outstanding commitment award, animal health club, student ambassador, and orientation leader. I also took part in bringing back our college's cheerleading program and I have also been the mascot for 4 out of my 5 semesters. I maintain a 2.8 to 3.0 GPA on top of all my activities plus I look to get even more involved by applying to be an RA (resident assistant) for the coming semester. I love staying busy and having time to get involved and contributing to my college anyway that I can. I was the same way in high school and I plan to be this way even when I graduate. With all of this I've gotten a ton of experiance and I've grow so much since high school. Becker has really help me become the person I am and always wanted to be.

Carlos

If I could go back and talk to myself as high school senior I would definitely give me some advice. First of all I would tell myself to start the college search and everything that goes into picking a college way earlier than I did. I had to scramble at the end and I made it harder on myself than it had to be. I would also tell myself to try and be more open and meet new people because there are a lot of great people at the college I attend and if I was not shy at the beginning I could have met many of them well before I ended up meeting them. The last piece of advice I would give myself would be to try not to get early morning classes because those could be tough sometimes. Other than that there is not anything else that I would need to tell myself as a high school senior.

Tyler

I would spend a little more time studing. I would have taken more college prep courses. All in all i think i had a good understanding of what college life was about. I think i was very lucky in picking a college that was a good fit for me, that being said i think students should spend more time when looking at colleges in order to find a good college fit!

Jose

Perhaps the most important thing to know about college life would be that grades come before aything. As a football athlete in high school, most of my time and dedication was spent in the grid iron that only a small amount of my time was spent on school work. It is for this simple fact that i passed my classes just to get by and be eligable to play sports which resulted in an overall GPA of 2.0 at the end of my 4 years in high school. This is something that I am not proud of, but to be honest am thankful it did because it has changed my perspectve in life and pushed me in the right direction. Since this experience trully affected me, it is something that I advice not only my younger brother who is now a senior in high school, but other athletes that may think that by dominating on the field, they will play for good colleges. These colleges look at the total package, an athlete who excels on the field and in the classroom. This however, is not only for sports, but for any distractions and temptations college life may bring.

I would put far less pressure on myself to get perfect grades. I would take the time to assess what I really want to do, instead of rushing into a major decision. I would also keep community college open as an option for the first two years, as now I see how much money I could have saved while I made up my mind as to what I wanted to do with my life, despite how against it I was at the time. I would take the time to be sure that I was going into a field where I could go to work every day and enjoy it to the point that it would not feel like work. I would ensure that I selected the right size school for me, as this can make all the difference in the world. Also, I would give college more time when entering as a freshman to adjust. Any school is what you make of it. Once you make great friends, your school becomes your home, although it may take some time to get to that point of comfort as a freshman.

Brandy

A really big factor is to make sure you have enough money to afford the college of your choice. My college is expensive, and I struggle every year trying to get loans, grants, scholarships, financial aid, and money that has to come out of my parent's pocket. I will probaly be in debt after college. I'm not even sure how I'm going to school this coming up year. It's very difficult paying for college. Just learn how much your college of choice costs, the degrees, where it's located, the diversity, etc. All these are factors which will help you find the right college of your choice. To make the most out of your college experience, I would definately say to dorm on-campus the first year, this will allow you to gain more friends. I've talked to commuters and it's hard for them to make friends because they commute back and forth to school. So I would say either dorm or get an apartment off-campus in the area of your college. Have fun, but be serious when it comes to your school work so you can succeed!

christine

deffinately look around, sometimes the hype of an open house isnt what its cracked up to be. you want to deffinately look for schools that are most envolved with your kids life, not only academically but emotionally too. its tough being away from home your first year from school so the overal support of dorm life, teachers, and other facalties are really a key factor to the overal experience and good grades.

Danielle

Make sure the student chooses the college that is right for him or her. Don't choose based on the reputation alone or by which school your friends chose to go to. In order to have an enjoyable and educational experience at a school, you need to like the campus and not dread going to school everyday. Get involved where you can especially if you do not live on campus, it makes making friends much easier. Parents: let your child choose. I know you want what is best for them but this is a decision they need to make for themselves. They are the ones that have to go to the school everyday and it is their future at stake so please just listen to your child and support their choice.

Michelle

When you go to apply to colleges, go and tour them. Pick the one that says the most to you, the one that stands out to you in campus quality but also academic wise. It is important to feel safe and secure at school, especially living there. You want to choose a college that wants to benefit you the most in your education and your future.

Tanya

Look at all options and ask current students about school...they may reveal something that the school isnt telling you!

Kayla

Gather information on all colleges you're interested in. Make pro and con lists in terms of what you like and what you dont like about certain schools. Visit all colleges you are considering, take a tour of the campus, and make sure to get all your questions answered before making a decision.

Adriana

I would definitely advice parents to help their child look for a school that would suit them. I didn't get much help, I was just lucky I volunteered with a shelter that worked with my college so I could learn more about it. You should visit the school first also and get a feel of the people and surroundings. Also make sure it is the right choice for what major you want.

torrey

make sure you find a college that offers something interesting to you, think hard before making a decision

Allison

When looking at college, try to find a school that genuinely cares for the well being of its students. Some schools unfortunately only care about money, and not making the students education better.

Esmeralda

I think that students shouldn't feel pressured about going at a certain school. Explore all your options and look at what's best for you. Visit the campus a few times to get a feel of what it's going to be like. And don't forget to make the decision for yourself and yourself only.

Allen

I would advice students to find a place where they feel comfortable.If they feel comfortable then they should do well.