Belmont University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Belmont University

ra

For a Christian school, they scram liberal and do their best to pour propaganda and socialistic bullshit down your throat.

Amelia

It’s hard for me to get a full gauge just yet due to the pandemic wiping out a lot of usual first year college experiences. Our school has been very thorough, however, in making sure all students are being safe and cautious, and still getting a close knit learning environment that the school promises. Soon enough we’ll be able to resume normal college life, and the way things are going now, I’m really optimistic that the environment will be even that much better and more fun once the pandemic dies down.

Gia

I have fallen in love with Belmont University. I am in the Sciences and Mathematics department, I have a major appreciation for the JACC building and the professors. The Car is nice, I just wished we have more than one cafeteria. Belmont is in the center was Nashville, so everything is always happening.

Ryen Belle

I was a little hesitant to be at Belmont at first, since it is religious-oriented and known for its music faculty. In my very first Belmont class, I was blown away by how diverse the student groups are and how inclusive the faculty members are. I am very thankful for the interaction possibilities between music and non-music majors. Belmont has an awesome science program that will definitely prepare you for higher education and life beyond your degree.

Jane

It's hard to deny that Belmont's music business/entertainment industry programs are top-notch and some of the best in the country. The academics are great and I've had many excellent profs. But the student experience leaves a lot to be desired. Belmont's administration is a disaster. Living on campus is very difficult because Belmont is a strict dry campus and RAs enforce alcohol and visitation rules. You can't have opposite sex overnight guests and you have regular room searches for alcohol and other so-called illegal items (including condoms!!). To be honest, living in the dorms is like being at a private Christian high school. Once you move off-campus it gets somewhat better, because Nashville is such a hip and creative city, but Belmont forces all students to remain on campus for at least 2 years. Because it's a Christian school, almost everyone is pretty religious, and a lot of the students are very conservative and judgmental due to fundamentalist-type beliefs. It can be a difficult environment to fit in with for students who aren't Christian. Tuition is exorbitant and increases substantially every year, and Belmont is generally pretty stingy when it comes to giving out merit scholarships. The meal plans are also ridiculously expensive (but this is typical for many universities). The cafeteria is really bad and there are relatively few other dining options on campus. Belmont will treat you well if you thrive in a Christian environment or are really passionate about pursuing a career in the music industry and are willing to tolerate the administration and ResLife to take advantage of the awesome program and networking opportunities the school offers. But if you're looking for a more traditional college experience, or have a more common major, go somewhere else. You'll enjoy just an equally high-quality education without the student debt, and probably have more fun doing it.

Madison

It's a really great school. It's a very unique college experience, so it doesn't work for everyone but for those that go here it's perfect. It's very music based, which also doesn't work for everyone but for the music majors they have incredible connections and opportunities for their students.

Sloan

Belmont is great!

Holly

Belmont is the perfect place for those wanting to work in the music business. The faculty have connections and are always willing to help you find internships in your selected field. It's nice to be in a "college town" where there's a lot to do so I think that makes that really appealing to a lot of students.

Lizzie

I believe that Belmont is going to give me the best education I can receive for my major, Entertainment Industry Studies. With the campus being right downtown Nashville there is no other school that will be able to offer me the opportunities that Belmont can. I hope I can excel at my major while attending school here and well after it, with the amazing help from everyone at this university. I am excited that here at Belmont, there will always be something new to explore, or something new to learn. Nashville and Belmont have already taught me what if feels like to be content and full of life. Like a trusted mentor this city and school has taught me acceptance, it has taught me a new way to look at situations and people. Belmont opened my eyes, and has taught me that anything is possible, and to never stop striving for something greater. I look forward to the day I plant my roots down in Nashville and am finally living out my dreams in the city of my dreams, thanks to the school of my dreams.

Mackinna

Someone once told me, during my college searching process that to pick the right college you simply needed to "find your tribe." I had no idea what he had meant, until I stepped foot onto Belmont's campus and experienced the awesome "tribe" here. So what does becoming a Bruin, part of the tribe, look like? It's a daily exposure to music, as there are always students jamming together outside on the lawns or in the multitude of gazebos we have around campus. It's a process of learning how to meet challenges of work set by professors that you will get to know, and who really care to take the time to get to know you too. Our community here is also extremely friendly, accepting and artistic. Location is a huge plus. We are right across the street from music row, where people from Taylor Swift to Elvis have recorded. There are also tons of great, local shops and food places within walking distance of the campus, and we are just about ten minutes outside of Nashville's downtown area. One thing to keep in mind is that it is a Christian University, but you do not have to be a Christian to attend or to feel like you fit it! It is, however, one way that sets our university apart in some of its policies. For example, there are some strict rules regarding housing. There is a check-in policy for the opposite sex, and there are certain times when they can't be in your room. There is also a convocation requirement, which includes attending 10 hours or 10 sessions of chapel before you graduate. The food in the cafeteria is not the most exciting or tasty meal you will have, but we do have a Chick-fil-A and Starbucks on campus! There is also not a lot of parking, but the campus is only about a 15-minute walk from one end to the other. Belmont has it's strengths and weaknesses, just like every university, but I truly believe that it offers a great education and just the right dose of life experience to prepare us as students to be sent out into the world, like our campus motto declares, "From here to anywhere."

mackenzee

my time when i went to tour the campus last year was absolutely incredible I instantly fell in love with the beautiful architecture of the campus and the people who greeted me as soon as I stepped inside, the professor to student ration for the STEM program is small enough to create amazinf relationships that will benefit any student in the future, the cafe we visited on campus to have lunch was amazing! had such a yummy salad and the view is incredible

Abigail

Overall, Belmont is everything I could have hoped for in a university. I have always been terrified by large universities. During my college search, I visited numerous institutions. When I set foot on a larger campus, I found myself having a difficult time enjoying my visit. I was always overwhelmed by the sheer number of students and all of the space around me. When I set foot on Belmont's campus, I felt at home. It is cozy, but there is enough room to avoid feeling closed in. Additionally, it is located in the heart of Nashville, so there is always plenty to do within walking distance of campus. Belmont does have its faults, however. For example, students are discouraged from walking across the lawn in order to shorten their walk to class as the administration is afraid that many students walking across throughout the day will cause damage. However, the administration had no problem allowing members of the band Florida Georgia Line to land their helicopter on the lawn. These sorts of inconsistencies can be frustrating at times. Just like any college, Belmont struggles with a few quality issues. It is sometimes difficult to get classes at a convenient time, especially as an underclassmen. The food is not delicious, and it is easy to find things to complain about after eating in the cafeteria. Every now and then a professor is less than helpful. However, I think the college experience would not be complete without these experiences that every college student has. Although I sometimes find myself getting frustrated with the way things are run at Belmont, I am happy where I am, and I cannot imagine myself at any other university.

Kat

I LOVE Belmont! I have been to two Junior Colleges and I have settled here and its Awesome. All of my teachers genuinely care about me and are more than willing to take time out of their day to help me. The facilities are gorgeous! One of the most beautiful campuses I have ever seen and they are continually updating and expanding. I have never had a class larger than about 25 people which makes it extremely easy to learn and connect. The students are all very welcoming and friendly, I was actually shocked at that when I first came here. Overall I am so proud to be able to call myself a Belmont Bruin!

Olivia

Belmont offers a wide variety of academic and extracurricular activities for everyone who attends. Though it may seem like the students are either Nursing, Music Business, or Commercial Music majors, there are plenty of other options. In the heart of Nashville, Belmont offers its students a plethora of resources post graduation and is committed to the success of each student.

Holland

I have visited the campus with a group day visit with my parents. I also did a day in the classroom with my major. All the information I received on those days answered my questions and more. I cannot not wait to move in and start my journey with Belmont University.

Katie

Belmont is a great school. It has a beautiful campus that is located right next to Music Row and not too far from local hotspots such as 12 South, Hillsboro, and Downtown. The school offers lots of classes and majors that other schools don't offer such as Music Business, Songwriting, Motion Pictures, Commerical Music, and more. Belmont also brings in industry professionals so that students can learn first-hand how the industry they are studying works. That being said, there are also some downsides. The prices of the school is way too high. We pay around $1200 dollars in tuition per credit hour, yet still have to pay additional fees for certain classes such as science labs or wellness activity classes. The meal plans include more meals per week than what most people use, and so they have to pay for more than they need. Also, the student population is growing, but the number of classes available are not. I like the idea of maintaining a smaller student-faculty ratio, but with the number of students rising, the ratio also needs to rise or there needs to be more classes taught to account for the rise in students. Overall, Belmont University is a great school and a great environment despite a few things that need to be improved.

Belmont has an incredible atmosphere, and I can't wait to attend the university this coming Fall. The people are really good company and everyone seems to feel super comfortable. It's absolutely beautiful because the campus is so well taken care of.

Kaitlyn

Belmont University is the best school. It is my dream college. I never even applied anywhere else and I had many to choose from, but this is where I wanted to be. I have learned so much since starting college and the professors go above and beyond when you need help in any way.

Sebastian

At belmont I have repeatedly had difficulty signing up for the classes I need. This seems to snowball to the semesters following as well. Many of the course sections we came to agree upon signing up for with my advisor been filled. I can't sign up for my managment, economics or entrepreneurship classes . This is due to my inability to sign-up for classes even though I have no holds. Because of my insufficient credits caused by the Belmont carelessly losing my documents a previous semester to register I feel that I may alientated from ever having a normal registration... And if you don't get the classes you want there is no purpose to going to college outside throwing your money away. It makes sense though why would a college want you to finish in 4 years anyway.

Madelene

I fell in love with Belmont University four years before I attended, and I spent those four years working towards getting to Belmont and it has not disappointed. Belmont is a private university, but the satisfying element is that they don't shove religion in your face. They welcome everyone to participate and you are required to take a religion course, but the feeling you get here is that they love and accept everyone not just practicing Christians. The location of Belmont is a huge benefactor as well, located in the heart of music city, which is why the majority of attendees are musicians. In reference to location, Belmont's campus is absolutely gorgeous with its many flowers, fountains, gazebos, and general southern feel. The only thing to change about Belmont is the price and the large focus of money at this school. It is very expensive to begin with, but they also make it very difficult to move off campus before your junior year and the price difference is substantial. Even with living costs being so high in Nashville, the meal plan combines with the dorm costs make it almost double the price to live on campus. Overall, Belmont is an amazing university and I am extremely blessed to attend. If you are considering it, I would highly suggest visiting and you are inclined to fall in love.

casey

Belmont University is one of the most hypocritical institutions around. Every office they have is utterly unhelpful and they are solely looking out for their reputation instead of actually helping the students. They claim a no alcohol policy and yet the party scene is intense almost all students participate in this culture, the housing staff included. They are biased in allowing students to participate in potential employment based on their religious preferences. When students are undergoing periods of stress they do not help, simply encouraging leaves of absence so potential disasters are not recorder under their history. They spend more time on their landscaping then worrying about the health and well being of the student. The entire university is focused on looks and less about actual substance, trying to get any forms to another university is almost impossible and receiving any help or guidance when issues occur simply leads to waiting on a phone line with an outside company who isn't even affiliated. The professors themselves are lovely humans with a lot of insight, however most of the professors who are actually helpful are adjuncts who are underpaid and not receiving benefits. This creates problems for the professors and students because they are not able to fully give the time and assistance that would be ideal for an optimal learning environment. The politics of the school, denies the existence of homosexuals while tiptoeing around vital issues or making the students feel safe and welcome. The hate and biases that surrounds the university is a silent one that does not allow for any alternative thought. Most advisers have no idea about the requirements necessary for degrees that involve things out of their department, making it difficult to graduate on time, which is not ideal given the universities high price tag. While they boast a high employment rate after graduation, the majority of their students are waiting tables, which is not even in the field for which they received their degree. every single process this university has is disgusting and utterly unhelpful. With the two faced leader of the school Bob Fisher, leading the University it is no wonder it has sunken into such lows. I would not recommend attendance, unless you have excessive amounts of money and time to waist and want to get drunk off your ass and pretend that you're a good christian.

I'd chose this school again. It has it's issues, as with any institution, but nothing too major. As long as you work hard, and make friends, your overall college experience will be a good one! I am loving it, and am very happy with the choice I made to come here.

Anna

Overall, I am happy with my decision to go to Belmont University. If you are passionate about having a career in the entertainment industry and hold an interest in networking, this is the school for you. The location (Nashville, Tennessee) could not be any better for students pursuing the arts, especially, but not limited to, music. Personally, I am a double major pursuing degrees in English (with a writing emphasis) and Theatre. I feel as though the skills and relationships I am building at Belmont will help me tremendously to achieve my goal of writing musicals. I am sure that my fellow students would agree that Belmont is a school insistent on giving you the tools you need to succeed.

Belmont University has been more welcoming that I could have imagined. No one can deny the physical beauty of the school buildings and landscape, but the atmosphere and community spirit are also wonderful. It is a Christian private school, and they are not shy about discussing their faith, but participation in spiritual activities is not required, and if you don't join in, that's fine. As for their religious teachings, they encourage love and kindness always, as well as serving in the community. There is an abundance of clubs and groups to join, and the music scene is great. Being so close to Nashville and the school's connections with the music business make this a great place for musicians and music business students. It is very expensive. The dorms are nice but pricey, and the cafeteria is limited for vegetarians and especially for vegans. There are numerous other places to eat, so take that into account when choosing a meal plan. The students are fun and also hard-working. Given the cost, many do work on and off campus, so being organized with working, studying and also with internships is important. There are many internship options for music business, and there are great study abroad selections too if you want to do that.

Gillian

It is a friendly community, and a good place to learn. It's very Christian and sometimes it's overwhelmingly so. Overall, Belmont is a great place and is very supportive of its students and their learning. The arts are very prevalent at Belmont, and there is live music produced by the students every night.

Georgia

I love Belmont University! Being here makes me feel like I have a purpose for my life. There are several opportunities they provide and the school is in a prime location. I love the idea of mandatory convo credit for graduation. It helps force the students to explore and find opportunities for his or her future.

Abbie

Belmont University is a great school that provides students with many opportunities to succeed in their career field. The professors are wonderful and classes are a good size so that the professors are able to get to know students. The campus is safe and security does a fine job at keeping things in order. There are many events and activities on campus that students are able to be involved in. I would highly recommend this school to anyone.

I love it at Belmont University; however, if you're not a singer/songwriter at first you may feel out of placed and overwhelmed. With so many activities going on and such a tight knit community you really feel right at home even if your home is thousands of miles away.

Sammi

Belmont University is an extremely artisic school. They have trained me to think independently and have begun to give me the tools to make a living off of Theatre performance. I am proud to be a Bruin. Is everyone sweet and perfect? No. Have I found it easy to make friends and trust my students and professors? Yes.

Mattelyn

I loved Belmont University. It is a beautiful campus with an amazing setup. The layout of the campus is basically all connected in one main area. The cafeteria has many different bars with different types of food for options. The campus also has every different type of dorm one can think of. It is also a well rounded academic school. Belmont is amazing in the sciences, nursing, business, and music. The professors make one feel at home and care for students deeply. The professors and deans of the college are always there for their students and do all they can to benefit their students' futures. The location of Belmont is truly astonishing. The campus is located in the heart of Nashville, Tennessee. It is walking distance to many restaurants and shops. Also, there are many sporting events, concerts, parks, and so much more in Nashville. The opportunities for job internships this city offers also makes Nashville a wonderful city to attend college in. One thing my mother was very impressed with is that not only will the campus security protect one on campus, but if one is anywhere in Nashville, say it be somewhere downtown or another university, and that student feels unsafe, the campus police will come and pick that student up and return them to campus. Belmont also offers sororities and fraternities for students to join to help them better find a home at the campus. The university does not have a football team, but there is an overflowing amount of support for all the sports teams Belmont does have, especially basketball. Belmont University is all around a magnificent school, and I believe everyone should go tour it and see for themselves.

Phoebe

I feel so honored to be able to attend Belmont University. The students and staff are unparalleled at any other university I visited. The size of the classes encourages discussions and supports lasting relationships among students and professors. It is the only university in the country that offers a Bachelor's Degree in Songwriting, and I've learned so much about the subject in merely three semesters. Additionally, the dorms are really nice compared to those of other schools, and there are always healthy food options in the dining hall and in other spots on campus. Because Belmont is a Christian university, the attitude of acceptance and love is prominent everywhere, without being prejudiced or forceful to students of other faiths and backgrounds. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous, not to mention the campus' devotion to operating sustainably. It's located in the heart of Nashville, with great food, shops, and parks all around. There are tons of things to do on and off campus. If I could change anything, I would love it if the administration was more accessible and susceptible to conversations with students about changes that could be made around campus. Overall though, I love Belmont and I'm so fortunate to attend.

Erika

I feel very privileged to be here. The campus is absolutely gorgeous, the music program provides everything I need, and the faculty are more than just your professors. You find family at Belmont. There are so many different connections to be made here.

Gracen

Belmont University has given me the perfect freshman experience and college experience in general so far. The amount of effort and care that comes from the professors is very noticeable and greatly appreacited. Both the facility and students work hand in hand with learning and creating a useful and fulfilling learning experience. With the amazing professors that interact with students both inside and outside of the classroom and he students that work together to ensure a fun and beneficial learning environment, you end the day without any regrets or doubts about the college you chose to call home.

Very good school that provides a lot of opportunities. Faculty is dedicated to helping students.

Olivia

I absolutely love Belmont! Everyone have met, both students and professors, are always super friendly and helpful, they make you feel like you really belong here. I was apprehensive about this school before I came here but now I couldn't picture myself anywhere else! The academics are incredible and the class sizes are amazing, not the mention the incredible professors that truly want to see you succeed.

Molly

I have found a home at Belmont, and I love the school. It's a fantastic fit for me, but it's not for everyone. As a student who works with the marketing office on campus, I can tell you that Belmont presents very well. It's a beautiful campus with some very well known programs. However, as you get to campus and live here, some things become apparent. Belmont is trying to grow, and it is doing so. The Belmont you experience when you arrive will not be the same Belmont you experience as you leave. There are more students on campus. Class sizes become bigger. Dorms become more crowded. Lines for food become longer. Construction sites start popping up across campus. It's not a bad thing. But Belmont is a school that is always evolving and students need to adapt to these changes as they happen. Another factor to consider is that Belmont has very little school spirit. We are a Division 1 school with mediocre teams that no one really supports. We don't have active greek life, and many people end up dropping their fraternity and sorority because it's so far from the traditional greek life experience. We are so far from anything reminiscent of big state school life that some students look for. We are a dry campus and the drugs and alcohol policies are sometimes taken too seriously. You have to check-in opposit- sex visitors to your dorms. Homecoming is almost non-existent. A few other things to note, especially in the music and entertainment school: more adjuncts teach in the entertainment school than actual, full-time professors, making class times long and professor accessibility difficult. The music performance students are some of the busiest students on campus. The music business major is the largest major on campus and getting into classes can be competitive. But there are many good things about Belmont. The facilities are state of the art. Many of the professors I've come across, especially in the liberal arts college are some of the best people I've met. Class discussions are meaningful and helpful. Academics are challenging but definitely not impossible. We have a high admission rate. Belmont is full of social students who want to help each other out and build their connections. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved.

Autumn

I am absolutely in love with this school. Perhaps I am biased, but I think everything about the school is absolutely perfect for me other than the price of tuition. They have friendly, talented, and helpful students as well as professors. Belmont is very determined to help their students succeed and do so by offering a variety of opportunities and even internship programs. As a student interested in their Motion Pictures major, I have found that they have state of the art equipment for their students.

Alexandra

Beautiful camps with very friendly people attending. It is almost as if Belmont has this glowing Halo above it, it is just that perfect. All the buildings are stunning. They can be described as modern elegant. The marble floors and light fixtures are similar to that of grand ballrooms only nobody is wearing these extravagant gowns or tuxes on campus.

Emma

I visited Belmont and will be attending in the fall. I absolutely loved it as they put music first and always being shut down for being a complete music nerd it was nice to be somewhere, where I felt I would fit in. They are not the best with information as they do not send confirmation when I signed up for Be Belmont Day or Summer Orientation which for me is nerve wracking but showing up for Be Belmont day I was greeted with friendly faces who genuinely wanted to be there to promote their school and make sure their guests had a good time.

Sara Ashton

When I visited Belmont University for the September 15 Preview Day, I was in awe. The campus is stunning and well kept. It is a very secure campus, and it is also very clean. There are beautiful plants and two big lawns that emphasize the beauty of the surrounding buildings. The school itself is very diverse in what it has to offer, to an amazing nursing school to a very artistic music school. I love the diversity of what Belmont has to offer because there is never a dull moment and always something to try/see. The students themselves make up an amazing community that love and support each other. They work together to produce the showcase series, which is one of my favorite parts about Belmont. A sophisticated university that also feels like home the minute you step on campus, Belmont University is a wonderful college to pursue your dreams.

Gabriel

We've had our fair share of run-ins with the financial aid department and I'd say the administration is definitely detached. But overall, the teachers and the classes available for each major are of high quality. That's not to say there isn't a few less present teachers or a lack of those who may know about a particular subject, but I can't imagine Belmont University doesn't have what you're looking for. It's also a very easy school to jump in to from out of town and not no anybody. It is a very welcoming atmosphere right from the start. Down the line the initial message from freshman year can begin to wear off, but then you're just a college student in your groove.

Belmont is a beautiful campus with dedicated staff and professors. I have found all my professors to be extremely supportive and demonstrate commitment to the success of their students. All of my professors have really made an effort to make me feel welcomed and believed in. As an adult/non-traditional student, the quality of education and the passion of the professors has been the most important thing to me. There are also so many activities and student led organizations on campus to get involved with, not to mention all the fun festivals, events, and concerts the city of Nashville has to offer! I moved all the way from South Africa with my husband to attend Belmont and I am SO glad I made that decision!

Libby

When I visited Belmont, I immediately felt welcomed and at home. The campus is absolutely beautiful, and you could sense the feeling of community between the students there. Our tour guide told us all about the student organizations on campus, and how since many students come from out-of-state Belmont tries to foster a family feel. I could tell that every student, professor, and administrator that talked to us loved Belmont, and the way they shared that love made a lasting impression on me. Before I visited Belmont, I was more interested in other schools. Now, I know that Belmont is where I want to spend the next four years of my education. If you would like to go to a school where you will feel valued as a student and as a person, I believe that Belmont is a great fit for you.

Lane

Belmont University is a pinnacle school of learning. The university is full of exciting learning spaces and intriguing teachers. Belmont is a school for those who are serious about learning, but are happy to meet some friends along the way.

Kan

Belmont is a great community where people are very passionate about their art whether its music, film, theatre, or whatever. People constantly have deep academic conversations about it - it's just what happens when you have passion. very few people here aren't artistic. the on campus housing is better than most but the meal plans are a real atrocity. i find myself starving because the caf closes at 8, and from 10-11 and 2-4, which typically is when my class break is. Very annoying. So be prepared to grocery shop often. The classes make up for it because the professors are passionate and we have access to a lot of resources such as recording booths, foley studios, costume shops, set shops, you name it.

madison

I am a freshman and absolutely love Belmont so far. Its the best of both worlds- in a big, fun city, but still with the small homey feel. The location is perfect, teachers are all so caring and helpful, and everyone is genuinely so nice. Belmont gives its students amazing connections and opportunities. Go Bruins!!

Elisabeth

I have absolutely fallen in love with Belmont University and everything about it! The professors and faculty are always so kind and attentive. They truly care about each student and their goals. The class sizes are also small which is ideal. The community at Belmont is diverse and welcoming. The caf food is better than some, but eventually, you get sick of it. Belmont's campus is BEAUTIFUL and so close to many restaurants and shops in downtown Nashville! Overall, Belmont is amazing and I wish I could stay here for longer than 4 years!

Belle

I love Belmont so far, Nashville is a great city to be in and Belmont has been such a great experience. Everyone is so friendly and I've fallen in love with the school. The teachers are always ope for helping. My math teacher even helped me over face time because he wasn't able to meet me in his office.

Savannah

I love the atmosphere that is presented at Belmont! I always feel welcomed and at home. It is fun meeting professors and listening to what they have to say. I also love conversing with fellow classmates, who turn into great friends. I have never once not felt safe on campus nor off campus for that matter.

It is the best place on earth. I was weary at first, but Belmont creates such a community in every single aspect of college life- from housing to classrooms to clubs to the cafeteria. Belmont is where I have met the best people I know. Belmont is the best.