Atchison, KS
Benedictine College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Benedictine College

Choosing Benedictine College (BC) as been the best education choice of my life; BC is a place where students can grow in a community of faith while taking a liberal arts education. BC is small and friendly, and the professors really care about their students.

I think people stereotype us because of our Catholic population, but in reality we aren't all that different. We are loud and like to have fun, cram for finals, and complain about the food; we just change it up a bit by adding God into our education.

Groups like FOCUS (Fellowship of Catholic University Students) and SPO (St. Paul's Outreach) thrive on campus. There are also a wide variety of varsity and intramural sports that the students get involved with.

They refer to it as the "BC Bubble." Because there are less than 2,000 students it is really easy to get to know a lot of your classmates and everyone is very friendly. Most students are Catholic (about 85%).

BC is a liberal arts school so students will be required to take a variety of classes in different subjects. The professors are all passionate about what they teach and care for their students.

Syeda

It's a nice school with smaller sized classes which makes it easier for student to focus and ask questions one to one.

The Welcome Weekend for freshmens. It helps new comers to meet their fellow freshmen students before the school starts.

Very friendly and understanding.

Professors really help you out. They have office hours where you can visit them and ask them questions.

Laura

Never settle for less than your best. College is a new frontier: no local family, challenges like never before, and situations you've never been in. It's up to you to let these situations mold you into a better version of yourself. It's not up to your teachers or classmates to make college a good experience - it's up to you. Strive to do your best. And when the going gets though, you know what? Get going. You're tough. Just do it. Excuses don't cut it and you were made for more than procrastination. Don't fall for that. Be the change you want to see in your school and you will insire people around you. It's the little things in life that make all the difference, so be sure to reflect on how you are balancing your time. Know that in the end college is a small part of your life so enjoy it while you can. Take the time to savor the little things. You have years of life after college, but you have one chance to create lifetime memories. Make them unforgettable.

Any student can succeed at Benedictine College if he makes the decision to pursue excellence. Work hard everyday to become the best version of yourself and you will accomplish much at this college. You have the opportunity to be challenged by academics, make life-long friends, and develop your faith life like never before. Take advantge of the opportunities, but be wise in what you say "yes" to. Make everyday count.

We are one of the top Catholic schools in America and excell in academic excellence. Benedictine College's alumni are known for doing great things.

Michelle

My classmates were normally very helpful and enthusiastic people willing to help anyone who needed it.

My advice, I would give would be to just be yourself, but also be open to new things. College is a lot different than highschool. It is also a lot more fun but here you are treated as adults and it is only your responsibilty to study hard, make good grades, and graduate with a major that you truly want to be able to use in your life!

I wish I had known exactly what I wanted to major in because it is a lot harder to get all the classes you need while you are in your second or third year.

Courtney

My school is a place of love and acceptance with the best people in the world and I am very fortunate to have the opportunity to attend. It is a place that challenges me and has excellent acadamic programs to deepen the knowledge of its students. Benedictine is a place of faith, community, and knowledge and is a place I can call home.

My school is best known for its faith. It is a Benedictine school and there are monks that live on campus. There are many opportunities for students to engage and learn more about their faith.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school there is a lot I would want to say. For example, it does not matter what people think or to just live in the moment cause it will be over before you know it. But most of all I would want to tell myself to be kind to everyone and enjoy yourself. High school can very difficult but it is a lso a place where you will make best friends and memories that will last a lifetime. So make those memories good ones and have fun. I would tell myself to stop worrying. All the hard work will pay off and everything will be ok. You will go to a great college and will miss the people you became friends with in high school. Study hard and have fun.

Tyler

Being a small religious liberal arts school.

Being a small religious liberal arts school.

It's a very close knit community.

If I could go back in time to visit my skinny, chlorine stained swimmers hair, friendly yet highly distractable self I would give two pieces of advice. First, the door to success and happiness has the ability be opened with a variety of keys. At this time in your life you can open that door with self-compassion. Yes, that means it's okay to take it easy on yourself. No, taking it easy on yourself won't make you grow soft. Second, I'd tell myself that there are things worth working for and believing in. To curb the youthful directionlessness I'd say that it's possible that you can find a career, interest, or relationships that are worth time, effort and sacrifice. Sticking ones neck out for something is a risk that also comes with a reward: satisfaction won't appear without it.

Hunter

If I could go back in time and talk to that senior who knew everything and said college would be a breeze, I would have a lot to say. First, it is going to be a lot of hard work – more than anything you’ve had up to this point. No matter how good you were in high school, studying will become a necessity. If you choose not to study (and it seems that almost every freshman chooses not to at first), you are setting yourself up for a rude awakening. Just remember, it’s better to study and not need it, than to need it and not have studied. Despite the difficulties your classes will create (and they will) you will have a lot of fun too. Make yourself go out and meet your fellow students as some of them will become your life-long friends. Being away from your family will be a new experience that takes some getting used to but you will adjust in time (and making friends makes it all the more easy). Study hard and know that it will all pay off (although there is no way you can make yourself believe that initially).

Student-faculty interaction is by far its best quality. Every professor I know has an open door policy - all you need to do is walk in and they will drop whatever they are doing to help you. Each professor I have worked with has always gone out of their way to a help a student, in and out of the class.

The campus is very conservative - if you are not a conservative republican, you will probably sit very quietly in the back while others discuss politics unless you want to cause a huge debate. This is not really all that big of a deal unless you are majoring in something such as political science, etc. where discussing such things is required. If the latter is you, good luck. Also, the cafeteria food is horrible but that seems to be the one common theme of every college I have attended.

Zachary

What I would tell myself if I was a senior, I guess to get up off your ass and do something before its too late. I was late for inrolling in college so I didnt get the classes I really wanted; I was late to fill out scholarships and grants so It lead to a bruttle struggle paying for books and intution. I would do a lot of things over but I would tell myself not to waste so much your time. Between work and school and trying to have as much fun as I could before adult hood really stared, I forgot all about the future and that led to many other mistakes down the road. I have messed up a lot but I could have easily prevented this. When the college people would come to my class I just brushed them off; now I constanly regret it. I would tell myself "Zack your too talented to struggle like this. So go out there and don"t stop intill you realize what you can be." Thats what I would tell myself knowing how I was I still probably wouldnt have listen. But now I am ready . Thank you

Benedictine is known best for being a small Catholic college. This is part of the reason I picked Benedictine. I had attended Catholic schools all my life and when I visited BC I fell in love with the campus. Being such a small college I really felt like I belonged there and was not just another number. Professors knew your name and want was going on with your life.

If i could talk to my high school self, I would tell her that it's okay to not have everything figured out. When I headed to college I was set to get a degree in Biology. I thought I had to go into college with a degree in mind because I didn't want to be one of those people that was undicided. I did not want to fail. After changing my degree twice and finally deciding to double major, I realize its okay to change your mind or be undicided about things. When you are 18, everyone tells you, you need a plan for your life. I thought I had one, but I discovered my love for journalism my sophomore year of college. You don't know who you are at 18, people change. You discover new things when in college. It took me an extra semester to complete my journalism degree, but it was worth it. At 25, I still don't have all the anwsers, but it's still going to be okay. Most people twice my age still don't have their lifes firgured out. My advice try everything, learn from the results.

The worst thing about Benedictine is the location. Everything is 45 minutes away. However, the good thing about this is we had to come up with other things to do. We had to be creative with our weekends and when we went into the city we would get a group to go. This is how i made many of my friends, when we would carpool into the city. Even with the nearest Target 45 minutes away, I did enjoy the late night trips to Walmart.

Clare

Benedictine College is a place where people come together in a "Community of Faith and Scholarship" to learn, make lifelong friends, and discern God's will for them.

Dear Clare, Congratulations, you're almost there! This is your last year of high school, and next year you will be going to Benedictine College (spoiler alert!). I know Kansas seems like a random place to live for the next few years, but you'll have fun! Enjoy your last months of high school and being familiar with your surroundings. Things change when you go to college, but most things change for the better. The first few days away from home feel surreal, and college won't feel like home right away. This is okay. Soon enough, both home and college feel normal. Your family and friends will be there for you even though you are hours away. Don't be afraid to call home when you need to, but also remember to continue your journey toward independence. Branch out and meet your awesome new friends! God loves you very much, and He will never give you more than you can handle. Benedictine College is the right college for you, and you will not regret coming here! Love, Clare P.S. Thank you for taking those AP classes; they were worth it!

I don't really "brag" about this, but I really appreciate that Benedictine College offers so many opportunities for Eucharistic adoration and for the reception of the Sacraments. If I brag to a friend who goes to a state school, I usually tell her how short my walk to classes is compared to hers.

Benedictine College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.