Atchison, KS
Benedictine College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Benedictine College

Kathryn

As a senior in high school, all I did was worry. I stressed about my grades, agonized over scholarship essays and college applications, fretted about my future roommate, and constantly feared all the various changes that would inevitably come with the transition from high school to college. Looking back, I can't help but laugh at my anxieties from a year ago. Here I am, with only a month left of my freshman year of college, and I am having the time of my life! College has already taught me so much about life, I have made some amazing friendships, and I have discovered that all my worries were quite ridiculous. So if I could go back in time, I would smack myself upside the head and tell myself not to worry. I'd say, "Self, chillax. Seriously. It WILL be okay! Worry will only make it worse. Instead, give God your stress and He'll do the rest. Then buckle up and get excited because college will be the most exciting ride of your entire life." If I had the chance, that's what I would say. And hopefully I would listen, because worry is just not worth it.

Someone who wants to be a leader, enjoys being part of a close-knit community, wants to experience one-on-one interaction with professors, and who wants to develop a closer relationship with Jesus Christ should look no further than Benedictine College. A great potential BC Raven is someone who desires to do well in school but also can have a lot of fun and be crazy - in a good way. Benedictine is my home away from home, and anyone who is looking for a small, Catholic, residential and liberal arts college will absolutely love it, just like I do!

Someone who loves living in a big city, learns best in huge classrooms with at least a hundred other students, or would rather blend into a big crowd than be individually noticed, would not enjoy Benedictine College. BC is more than a school - it is a family. Students and faculty regularly interact with one another, and it is difficult to hide in the woodwork. It is also a small private college located in a small Kansas town, which is not very exciting to some people. If any of these are bothersome to someone, he or she might consider another college.

Bridget

If I were able to give my high-school self advice about college: Train yourself from the beginning to wake up to your alarm, because the more times you hit snooze, the deeper you dig your hole. Join as many things as you can freshman year, and meet as many people as you can, but DON'T let that stop after freshman year. Never stop learning. Find something you are passionate about and chase it. Take leadership roles in clubs and sports you enjoy, they will pay off later. Never let anyone make you feel like they are better than you, but don't make the mistake of thinking you are better than anyone else either. Don't be afraid to get to know your professors--they will be the ones writing your letter of recommendations. Don't be afraid to try new things, but remember that you are forming yourself, so form yourself into someone you can be proud of. Above all, strive every day to live life more fully, to continuously grow in knowledge and spirit, and to never let a day go by where you can't honestly say to yourself you did the best possible!

The most frustrating part is the fact that it is like a small town (since it is a small school), and most everyone knows your business.

Eileen

They are extremely friendly and helpful, always happy, always smiling, always ready to say hello and catch up and help with whatever they can.

The quality of the academics, aided by the attention, time, and effort given by the professors.

Dear Eileen, You don't know me as well as you should, but I know you better than you'd like. I know everything about you--your strengths, your weaknesses, your hopes, your fears. Everything you like and dislike about yourself. Including the things you won't admit even to yourself. Thanks to this wealth of knowledge, I think I can make a fairly sound judgement on what you need to hear before you leave for college in the fall. Don't close yourself off, thinking you've heard it all before. I can guarantee no one's told you this. Guarantee. You need to trust more. You're hurting yourself more by not trusting than by closing yourself off to the world. True, you won't feel pain, but you won't feel love either. Yes, love really does exist, and it's just as good as they all say it is. And yes, there is such a thing as true friendship. But you'll never get either of them if you don't trust people. You have to take that jump. Trust that you'll land on your feet. It's worth it. I've been there.

Teresa

The campus definitely is a tight nit campus but there are also lots of groups. Not everyone is united but everyone is happy with their groups. The town is crappy and hates all of the students but the town would be nothing without the school.

Dear SeniorME, Relax and enjoy this time you have been given. I know at times classes will be stressful and you feel like this will never end but trust me; the end will be here before you know it! Do not be afraid to be yourself! Let your light shine and the right people will come into your life. Never try to be someone you're not. High school was filled with drama but if you don't want that then you don't have to have it! This is the time in your life when you determine who you are and who you want to be. Don't let anyone or anything stop you. The sky is the limit! Take your studies seriously even though there are days you want to throw your books out the window. How is is life right now? Reading books, drinking coffee, and learning! How fun is that? Don't be afraid to meet new people. This is a time in your life you will always want to remember. When the stress seems to be at a max take a deep breath and remember this is the time of your life! Good luck! FutureME

Anastasia

I would advise to myself to never stop believing in a better future which comes with a better education. I would of never take breaks in between the schools. And, also, I would of told myself that I should appreciate time, because it can never go back.

I wish I would of know more about financial aspect of higher education.

A person who never gives up his/dream about better life and better opporunities.

Grace

Benedictine College is remembered for its community. When you visit you feel like you belong apart of it. This community is built up because it is a residential campus, meaning over 80% of students live on campus. It is also known for it's solid Catholic identity. If you are passionate about your Catholic faith Benedictine will foster an environment for you to grow and mature and then leave the school and effectively spread the Good News and love of the Church in the greater community.

My high school self was innocent of the intellect and social rehlm. Together these things caused me to have a judgemental attitude toward all my peers. College is a time for personal growth and materity, but that often comes from falling and making mistakes. The thing is is that I am not perfect. My life is full of sin and challenges just like my peers that choose to drink underage and subject themselves to morally questionable situations. If I could go back to my high school self and give advice it would be to look at everyone with love and non-jugdemental eyes. As the saying goes every person has a story to tell and that story is what shapes and forms them. The world is fully of hate for those who spread the news that love is all around us and in us. Knowing now that I am not perfect, my friends are not perfect, and my school is not perfect allows me to see that I am here to grow not to cement myself into the pavement of this university. I would tell myself to love, forgive, and to allow everyone around me to have their redemptive story.

I wish I would have known a little more about the food services. They have been the only thing I wish I was not spending my money on.

A school that focuses on the education of young men and women in a community of faith and scholarship.

I would suggest looking at the types of internships that would be available to me. I would also decide whether or not I was okay living in that area for years after college if I were to get a job there.

Kellie

I would tell myself to calm down and not to worry. As a senior in high school I was very nervous for college and that transition but now that I have been in college for a year I know how amazing it is. I am a huge worrier and I like to know what is going on in my life with little or no change. College is a huge change and it was hard but I know that it is worth it and it all worked out so I would tell my self to trust my decision in school, do not worry about the transition it will be okay, and to enjoy my senior year and get ready to move on.

I think that the best thing about my school is that it is so small that I am able to make great friends and have fun but still be able to focus on my academics. My friends support and help me in my academics and so do my teachers, which in a College or University can be rare.

When talking to my friends about my college, I tell my friends how close of a community it is and how the teachers care about every student that is in their classroom and will take time out of their own day to help each one in anyway they can. I also love the people that are there and how many activities, sports, classes, and events there are to do on campus.

The advice I would give to myself is to be more decisive. Decide what you want to do with your life and just do it instead of waiting. Even if you decide later on in your college career that it isn't what you really want to do it is a start and you can always change your mind. If you have some college it is better than having no college to many employers and will therefore help you obtain a higher paying job. College life is hard but it is easier to obtain an education when you do not have a family yet, as I do. If I had gone to school before having children and before the economy had gone downhill I wouldn't be so worried about paying for it now. Being decisive will help in all areas of life, not just deciding what to go to college for.

Rebecca

Don't underestimate how much tuition costs should play into your college decision. The idea of student loans may not seem like a big deal coming out of high school, but it becomes a much more real concern once you have to think about paying your tuition, room and board, book costs, and inevitable other fees while also trying to plan for your life after college.

Catholic, conservative, studious

Someone expecting to be entertained constantly, someone not willing to put forth effort academically

Benedictine College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.