Atchison, KS
Benedictine College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Benedictine College

Guy

I attend/have attended college for the purpose of learning things I did/do not already know. I have studied Automotive Technology for a few years and have gained a much deeper knowlege in this field. I am going on to a four-year college in order to study more and to earn a four-year degree. Diesel is a topic that was not covered much in my community college, but it will be covered better at my four-year college. College has also caused me to mature and become much more responsible. I pay for my own schooling which makes me work hard to keep my grades up and learn what I am studying. Scholarships have been a big part of paying for school, but applying for them and keeping up with the requirements have been my own responsibility.

Carlos

I have met and befriended great people. I have madfe relationships that will last forever. I have been a part of a larger family. I have gained a great and revered education. I have grown as a person. My spiritual life has strengthened. My social life has benefited. I have learned how to communicate more effectively with employers and instructors. I have been a part of a varsity sport. I have supported my friends in their activities. I turned 21 here! I learned more about myself here than anywhere else. I played golf, video games, watched movies, and had all kinds of fun here. I have been blessed to find this place and call it home. The value of an education here is priceless. You will have earned a valuable and sought after education when applying for work. You will have gained precious resources and networking alliances here. You will have beome a part of something bigger than yourself, but that not everyone knows about. It's not like claiming a huge university. It's more like a close network of people who have all experienced the same thing. Your time and money are well spent here.

Do not attend this school if you live by liberal politics and ideals, and are angered when people do not agree with you. Most people at this school are conservative. If you are looking for Greek life do not attend this school. There is no Greek life. If you want to be in an urban area, do not attend this school. This school is in a small town of 10,000 in a rural setting. If you are not religous do not attend this school. This school is founded on Catholic principles and it is proud of its Catholic tradition.

This school is great place for people who buy in to all it has to offer. It is great academically, competitive athletically, and there are many ways to enhance your social and spiritual life. This school isn't for everyone (see who shouldn't attend). But, for those who end up loving this chool, there is no better place. You will make some of your best friends here. You will develop professional and genuine relationships with your instructors. You will feel like you are a part of a family regardless of your politics, gender or background.

Brooke

Unlike many other schools, Benedictine College is a faith centered campus. The Catholic faith is a part of the daily lives of students and educators at Benedictine College, both in and outside of the classroom. This commonality in beliefs acts as a foundation for strong connections and bonds between every individual on the Benedictine College campus. Further, Benedictine College’s strong emphasis on the Catholic faith allows students to be educated not only in their intended major, but also on how to intertwine their education and beliefs in order to carry their Catholic faith into everyday living.

After only one year at Benedictine College, I have grown more intellectually, emotionally and morally than I have from any other experience. I began my liberal arts education by being introduced to a variety of subjects and possible career paths. I was opened to a new perspective and gained a greater understanding of the world. Yet, as I learned new facts about the world, I was also educated about my role as an individual within it. Through this, I was also able to learn about myself, which greatly assisted me in choosing what would lead me to the most fulfilling lifestyle. I was challenged to take responsibility for my future and the impact that I can have on others, and through this, I learned that I truly can make a positive impact in the world. However, I never would have gained this great understanding if I had not also been challenged to take a step further in my spiritual life by my peers and educators. Benedictine College challenged me in many ways to intertwine my beliefs, knowledge, and individuality into my daily life, and without these challenges, I never would have made the considerable growth that I did this year.

The best attribute of Benedictine College is its relatively small student population. Having approximately 1,500 students, a close community is easily built as students quickly meet through classes, sports, and other school sponsored activities. This community of students not only creates a friendly environment, but also provides support for every student while away from home. The small student population also allows for high academic success due to the low student to teacher ratio. Every professor at Benedictine College knows the students on a one-to-one basis, resulting in a comfortable classroom environment and effective academic guidance.

Marisela

A community that loves learning and building relationshjps with one another.

A community that loves learning and building relationshjps with one another.

After a year of college, I've learned that I really don't know who I am and that's okay. Going into college I had this vision of who I was, who I wanted to be, and what I was going to do. I seemed to forget that life happens along the way and hits you hard. I thought I was a very disciplined student, but I quickly learned that just when I think I've given enough effort in whatever I'm doing I need to do twice as that to be succesful. I 've also learned that you should never be too sure of who you are, that doesn't give you room to grow intellectually, spiritually, emotionally, and in every other way. I've learned to be open to new experiences and things, but at the same time stay true to myself, who I was and who I want to be. Also to be flexible because no matter how much you plan or want to determine the outcome of things, you simply can't. You just need to be open to things not going your way and learning to accept whatever God blesses you with instead.

A person that loves community. A student who wants an education where teachers know you by name are always ready and willing to help.

Linnea

My classmates are friendly, generous, caring, kind, dedicated, religious, conservative, faithful, and full of joy and fun.

I know you?re tired of hearing about college, but pay attention. I?ve come back to help you transition into college life. First, Verizon lied. There is no service in Atchison. Don?t buy a cell phone. Second, look for a job on campus ? it?s just too hard to find one close enough in town. Don?t worry: you?ll definitely be able to handle that and your schoolwork. Actually, that?s what I really came back to tell you: you can do more than you think. You will have so much more time in college, so don?t worry about spending lots of time with people. Go ahead and strike up conversations with strangers in the cafeteria, and chat for hours with your friends. You should go to the sports games; I regret missing the soccer and basketball and volleyball games. Don?t get stuck in your room. I know you've heard it a thousand times, but get involved! On a side note, when you create your Dungeons and Dragons character, be unaligned. Trust me. Oh, and nag Emma, or you?ll never get the books she borrowed back before you leave.

It's hard to limit myself to one thing. Probably the food, which is just one step down from home cooking. However, I also brag about the openness and friendliness of the campus, and the comparitive inexpense. I'm also really proud of our strong faith community.

Kalen

My school is a Catholic, Benedictine, Liberal Arts, residential college that believes in educating men and women within a community of faith and scholarship.

If I could go back to my senior year of High School I would tell myself a number of things. Most importantly I would tell myself that High School is not nearly as hard as college is, and that college is not a place where you party and have fun all the time. I would remind myself that college is like having to work and when you have a job you can't slack off. I would tell myself to take a full load during my senior year so that I would feel more prepared when coming to college. I would have challenged myself to take more advanced courses and increase my study habits so that it wouldn't be a big adjustment when I started college. I would have spent more time with my family because you seem to miss them, especially during your first semester. I would have spent more time working so that I wouldn't have to take out as many loans. Lastly, I would have tried to be friends with people that I had a hard time being friends with because it helps you to adjust to people with different attitudes and perspectives.

I brag about our faithfilled and friendfilled community that extends not only past the boundaries of our college and our town but throughout the rest of the United States and the World. I also tell everyone about the small classrooms and large particiaption of students and faculty at the numerous activities held on our campus.

Deanna

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the first thing I would tell myself would be to focus on school as much as possible. I didn't realize that college work was going to be so labor-intensive, and I was used to being lazy and still managing to get by in high school. I would tell myself to take better notes, and to force myself to study even when I didn't feel like it. I would also tell myself to practice my self-efficiency skills, because college professors don't baby you like high school teachers do. The final thing I would tell myself as a high school senior would be this: apply for scholarships. I knew that college was expensive, but I guess I didn't realize how expensive it was until I had to take nearly every penny out of my bank account just to pay for one semester. Had I not been so un-motivated my senior year, I could have found a few more scholarships to help cover tuition. Unfortunately I learned this the hard way, which is why I'm applying for this scholarship.

When I tell my friends about my school, I brag most about the sense of community here. Everyone is so welcoming, and it is a wonderful environment to live in. All of the professors take a personal interest in your education, and whenever you need help, someone is willing to help you no matter what.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the town it is located it. It is an incredibly small town, and it does not cater to college students in the least bit. There is no where to shop or eat, or even just hang out. It is about an hour away from a big city, so there is never anything to do. The other frustrating thing is the academics here, because they have very few strong acadmemics programs.

Victoria

If i could go back i would tell myself not to wait untill the last minute to start making the big decisions about college. It helps to know as much as you can about all of your options. I would also tell myself that i cant be the shy and quiet girl anymore i need to be confident and outgoing. Getting out and meeting people is very important in college.

I wish i would have known that there wouldnt be a chipotle in town. There is a wal mart though!

The worst thing is probably the fact that atchison is just a small town so there isnt much to do while off campus.

Christina

If I could go back in time, and talk to myself as a high school senior, and I could give myself advice, then I would tell myself to search more for scholarships so that the payments would be easier. Scholarships are a very necessary part of paying for college unless you want to have a lot of debt when you graduate. Also, if you take a long trip the summer before going to college, it will help a lot with the home sickness. It is nice to be able to be far away from home first with people you know than to just be thrown into it. It is a little bit nicer to be eased into living on your own than just left to it by yourself.

This is a catholic, liberal arts, private school in an old, small town. So if you want a catholic liberal arts education, and don't mind living where the biggest store is a Walmart, then this is the place for you! And since it is a private school, it is smaller than a lot of other college which is nice is you want to get to know a lot of the people there!

I brag most about the hospitality there, and how welcoming everyone is. They all make visitors and new students feel very welcome and comfortable. The people there are just amazing. The friends that you can make there are just wonderful, and for life.

Sandy

My school is unique because when you walk on campus, you just feel the home-y vibe. The faculty, staff, and students do everything they can to make you feel comfortable. The staff are very helpful when you have a question or concern. The most impressive thing is that our college president is very invested in the college and in the students that attend BC.

If I could go back to my high school self, I would say that you should apply your head off for scholarships and not wait around. I would tell my high school senior self that you should have made the best of your high school years while you had the chance. I would go on to say that going to Benedictine will be the best thing that could have ever happened to you. The friends that you will make will be the kindest and funniest people you will ever have the pleasure of knowing. You will have the best time in college and do not take it for granted.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that sometimes I feel overwhelmed by my workload, however, I've learned that pacing yourself is the best way to approach it.

Benedictine College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.