Bennington, VT

Bennington College

« See more reviews of Bennington College

I love every class I have taken. I have been inspired, pushed, challenged, intrigued, overworked, used, abused and transformed. I value the teachers so much. They keep me sane.

Things get personal here. Professors know your name, your major, what you like & what you don't like (academically speaking). Classes are small enough to facilitate heated debates, & that's a beautiful thing. I have this photography professor who has an open workshop every Thursday night for his Photography Foundations class. He invites the class to show up in the darkroom for two hours & he provides the paper as well as support. He will also come in on weekends to help anyone who is having difficulties. I'm in Historical Processes with him & he is always fired up about the next process we're going to learn. I've also spent the past two years studying with a social psychologist. For every paper you write, in any of his classes, he will have about a page of typed feedback. I don't know of any other college that does that.

The classes are interesting for sure. The teachers are definitely accessible and they know your names. But I find that after taking a calculus course at Bennington I probably will have to retake the class at another college. If you want to study science or math, I highly recommend going to a different school.

Classes are small, and always engaging. Not a single course goes by without bringing in information from every other discipline. Classes are full of involved students who are not afraid to have their voice heard, and will tell the teacher if the class is not going in the desired direction.

The professors at Bennington all know your name. Classes are very intimate, and there are rarely exams. Most things are extremly self directed, as this is the philosophy of the college. Its great knowing that my own choices play such a direct role in my future.