Bergen Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Bergen Community College

Roni

Bergen is an awesome community college. Unlike some other community colleges, you can actually get a legitimate two-year education. They have many amenities to help you do your best in school and actually care about you succeeding. It's definitely known as the best community college in NJ and is rated highly throughout the country. Not all of the students are the brightest, but as long as you have your head on straight, you'll get to where you want to go without any problems. Also, the students are usually in and out quickly since there is no on campus housing. Due to that, it's hard to make friends. If you are looking to meet new people, join a few clubs and things should flow from there. Good luck at BCC!

Nicholas

The upgraded facilities are nice enough. Some buildings have paper thin classroom walls making it easy to hear everything going on around you. The main building on campus has a prison-like feeling to it. There is constant security and police around you to make you feel safe in an the already safe area.

Keanu

Bergen Community College (Paramus) is a large campus, equipped with state of the art facilities. Alumni is extremely diverse and friendly. Professors are always willing to help in case of any problems faced by students. BCC is also filled with a variety of clubs to be involved in.

BCC is truly what you make of it; take advantage of all it has to offer and it will be a great step in your life. I didn't want to go to bergen at first, but after becoming involved I ended up becoming fluent in Sign, Vice President of a new club, and my GPA earned me a 23,000 scholarship to the university I will be transferring to in the fall!

Bergen is a great community college to go to. the classes and class sizes are amazing since they are small and since the school is small all teachers are always accessible and they know your names. Since it is a community college no housing is offered but it offers great deals for the daily commuter that do not have cars. I play volleyball and the girls and the coaches are great and I'm so happy to have been given the opportunity to make such great future life long friends.

Hailey

BCC is a great place to not only get a great education, but also a place to make some great friends and have awesome new experiences. The college is filled with a multitude of people who have different ages, interests, cultures, races, religions and orientations, and it is an extremely accepting place. I love the diversity of my college. The extra curricular activities reflect the range of interests among the college. From the African students union to the PRIDE club, there's bound to be a club that interests you. BCC's academic track record is excellent as well. Students are set up to succeed. The average class is about 30 students, so the professor not only knows your name, but in many cases, they get to know you. The college also offers a tutoring center where you can either walk in or schedule a one hour one on one appointment with a tutor. If you're having trouble deciding a major or trying to pick your classes, there extremely helpful academic advisors who can be reached at any time the college is open. They'll sit down with you and go through all your options with you. Overall, I think BCC is a great place. It's a safe and uplifting environment that has many grand aspects waiting to be discovered. I love my school, and I can truly say I'm proud to be a Bulldog.

Alexa

Overall Bergen Community College has amazing classes and professors but when it comes to administration, your better if administrating yourself. They have a lot of students running students and sometimes that’s not the best when your trying to get more in-depth information.

Shojahon

It's a good college to go to in order to learn what you need to learn. Overall It's not the best, but not the worst, but it's a good place to start; especially if you plan on transferring. The professors here vary between lazy and uncaring to attentive and involved.

Suzanna

Bergen Community College is a pretty lively place to be. There are very diverse classes along with diverse students. Help is always provided to those in need and professors are very keen on teaching their what they need to know in order to excel in the major of their choice.

Julie

Bergen Community College was the best place for me to transition from schools. It's cheap but the education is incredibly valuable. I am proud to say I finished the semester with a 4.0 GPA. The online classes were also manageable. I thought I was going to have trouble with it but the professor was really helpful.

Juliana

Bergen Community College surprised me as a communist college because of how clean the campus is kept. I never saw a mess, a pile of dust, or the floor not swept, that was a problem when I was in high school, and I am very happy to not see that in my college today. The staff and professors are always on hand to assist any student, and I truly notice that everyone does their best to see their students do the best. I am overall very please of the student life, staff and factulty, and also how beautiful and clean the campus is.

I really like Bergen Community College. It is the best college. They have many resources that you can go to. There are counselors that you can meet with. They help you with your schedule and to understand the requirements for your major. They have many clubs you can join and they are all great. Joining clubs can help you meet new people. They have a variety of clubs and I think that is great. They always have different workshops that you can go to and you can learn new things. There's always different types of events that are going on and a lot of things that they do in the student center. The atmosphere is really great and everyone is so friendly. It's a great environment to be in.

Nari

This is a cheap start to get those gen-ed and pre-reqs out of the way. The academics itself is fine but make sure to check the professors on ratemyprof and see if they're any good. Overall, I'm only here to take my required classes. I don't really care for the extra curriculars and clubs that go on here. This place is perfect for just doing your thing.

My overall opinion of Bergen Community College is that its a great school, with great teachers, and nice students. Its a good fit for someone who wants to save money their first couple of years. You will see many different age groups and races. They also have an incredible nursing program.

Danielle

It’s pretty amazing! Sometimes teachers (especially adjuncts) don’t really care about the class they’re teaching but its hard to blame them because they make so little money. Otherwise, I love BCC, it’s full of academic opportunities and allows you to be successful in what you want to do.

Alisson

Bergen community college is a great place to find great people that will help you grow as a person. It is a great place for learning and enjoy a students life.

dmitri

It is a decent community college which has a potential to grow to a 4-year degree college. Nice, safe, friendly.

Christieana

I really liked Bergen a lot, it's big enough where you will not stand out, there's always a place for you, but small enough where you'll probably see people you know (or have been in your classes) here and there. Bergen offers a lot of different classes and a lot of well rated professors, I don't think I have had a professor that I either did not like or did not learn something from.

Taylore

For my first college experience, Bergen Community was a great choice, and I strongly urge other students coming out of high school to start at a community college. I've just graduated and I'm seeing very quickly that in my two years there, I paid about the same I would for 1 year somewhere else. So, in getting all my core classes out of the way, and for way cheaper, I recommend going this route. The classes were decent sized, enough for good discussions but not overwhelming to the point where you can't have personal time with a professor.

Justin

The school has a great diverse environment. Students are very welcoming and support those in need. The teachers are very understanding and are always easy to find. The tutoring department is great as well, teachers have said it has been voted as one of the top tutoring centers in the entire nation.

Kyle

While it is a good school, professors need to be more understanding of student struggles and adhere to students questions. They should also be checking their own school email more often. If students have to check their college email regularly, then professors should also.

JIHAE

My college is good school for an international student who has to learn English. We have an intensive curriculum for the ESL course. We have four level ; foundation, level 1, level 2, level 3. We learn speaking, writing, reading, and grammar. All professor are very good. They have good teaching skill as ESL instructor. If a person who is beginner in English, he or she has to study at Bergen community college. In my case, I cannot order a coffee in Dunkin Donuts when I came in USA. After taking ESL classes, I am easy to speak in English. I really recommend my school for an international student who wants to learn English.

Bergen Community College has come a long way since I first started attending back in 2008. I had left for five years and was blown away upon my return. This school has made huge steps in it's transgender and LGBQQIA rights, going as far as using preferred names for trans students in classrooms.

Bilal

I believe BCC is a great way to start off a college life for students looking to transfer over to a 4-year college. Everything that is necessary is provided to us and it's pretty much the basics of a college life. There are no dorms so it's pretty mostly locals going to this college. The professors do what is asked of them and provide all the needed information​ to students.

Vanessa

The highlight of my 2 and a half years there was the parking. I've heard the worst things about university parking, like paying 200 for a permit and not guaranteed a parking spot so this is heaven. So much parking! I was a commuter and I wasn't too invested in the school activities. I either had work before class or right after, so my involvement was extremely limited. The times I did attend activities, they were for the art club, which wasn't handled very well. But there were a bunch of clubs for a variety of people, so there generally was something for everybody. Financial aid was the biggest headache ever, but with the new self service, it was easy to stay on track of your financial aid, how much you had to pay out of pocket, and a general estimation of how much you would need for supplies. But my best advice I'll ever give you is to immediately sit down and have a chat with this one counselor. Brian was THE BEST counselor. He helped me get a rough outline of what I SHOULD do at Bergen if you're just going for Gen Ed requirements and then transferring out. He gave me a list of schools that Bergen had a partnership with (Like Fairleigh Dickinsons $15k partnership scholarship) and even helped me get out of bergen faster (CLEPP exam will help you a lot!) He even gave me a list of professors to speak with about my career goals that relate to my specific field of interest. Most of my professors were super chill or really invested in their craft. My Art History professors were THE BEST and were really interested in their subject and were nice and understanding. Ratemyprofessor is your best friend, especially if you are just doing gen ed classes. Helps you weed out the worst professors to take. I didn't do that my first semester and my writing 101 prof was the worst.Some professors are hit or miss so learn from your mistakes. Overall my experience was decent. If you check your email constantly, use self service, and ask for advice, you will do fine.

Danna

At first I was very spectacle of Bergen Community College, because well its a community college but after attending, that stereotype that was clouding my brain went away. College is about learning and getting your education on, it doesn't matter if its a 4 year or 2 year school as long as you're able to pursue your passion and learn many things in the process. Its very easy to become friends with people at BCC our community seems very close and the people here are very friendly. This school has taught me a lot of things about myself that I didn't know, its shown me the path that I want to pursue in the future. I'm very glad that I was able to attend this school when I was utterly lost in what I wanted to do next when I graduated high school.

Shivam

The college is pretty big for a community college. It has most of the things one would need for studying and growing as an overall student who plan to transfer to a four year college or who are here to get an associates degree. There are plenty of activities and sports that the students would enjoy doing. Classes also are better as the professors try their best to make the students know what they are studying by making them take quizzes and doing projects.

Cornelia

I love Bergen Community College, I've learned so much here since I've started. Every professor I've ever had is more then helpful and wants their students to learn and succeed. I wish they offered further degrees such as bachelor programs because I would love to stay here as long as possible.

Rose

Bergen Community College has a lot of opportunities for students with its many available resources. Teachers love to interact and help on a one on one level, and most of them have a good curriculum. The college is always evolving and getting better without inconveniencing students. The parking is definitely one of the downsides to the campus. Getting out of there during a fire drill is not the best of situations and there are many people who drive to campus but I did find parking in the early mornings. The street leading to and from the campus can be very crowded most days and it’s so narrow, accidents tend to happen. Visually, the campus is something I should also mention. Its beautiful! So much green, so many trees. I also become a golf course at some point! The campus seems very extensive but getting around it is very easy. It was never a task to grab some food with friends in between breaks, and I would always bump into someone that I knew. The food options there are pretty great too. The cafeteria upstairs even has a Subway and a Nathans! Once you get your food, you can just eat inside or they have outside seating available too! There was always something to hear about on the bulletin boards or in our emails. Staff at the college kept in touch often with students as well and definitely always offered to help. All of these components made my overall experience, a Very great one!

Gary

My overall opinion of Bergen community college is that its a great school there's a lot of opportunity at the school theirs sports cooking and video game designing classes and many more opportunity's and it really feels like a family when you go inside the school.

Bergen Community College is a college located in Paramus. New Jersey. It's a two-year public community college founded in 1965. The college has three different locations, Paramus being the main campus with another in Lyndhurst, and Hackensack. Most people graduate and then transfer to a four year while other graduate with certificate's and associate degrees. The health professions building is new and amazing with modern technology and tools. In the health professions the programs may be accredited. For instance I attend the Sonography/Ultrasound program if that interests anyone. The college is diverse and people are friendly in case you get lost or confused. Overall the teachers are also very kind and stick to their office hours. If you're unsure about professors you can check ratemyprofessors.com to see reviews written by actual students. Although it is a community college that doesn't mean its a crazy and not a good education. You will still receive a good education and even other possible opportunities for instance a job. Frequently they host job or careers fairs and other events. Be sure to attend them. Good luck and hopefully you love the school.

Kerry

I think Bergen Community College is a great way to start off your college experience and the expense is way better than a four year university. Also people at Bergen seem to be very friendly and helpful.

Adriana

I've had a great time at Bergen Community College. The professors that I had were all informative and thorough with their teaching. I would find myself speaking about our lectures and thinking about them for the rest of the day. The campus is easy to navigate and clean. I felt confident in getting from one building to another, and/or from one wing to another. I've accomplished finishing my associates degree here, enabling me to obtain a bachelor's at another institution in the future.

Brianna

I really love this school and all of the staff are extremely helpful in guiding you to whatever field you're interested in. The professors care deeply about their student's​ success and are always available for help. The locations of the campuses and flexibility to take classes on any of the campuses is great, all of them are super convenient.

jess

This school is great. There are a lot of opportunities. Many choices to major in such as nursing to culinary art. They have many clubs you can join and sports to join. The teachers are very helpful and friendly and always there to help. It has such a great atmosphere at Bergen Community College.

The Bergen Community College is a good place to start if you don't were to start or don't know were to transfer to what college to go to. The guidance counselor is great, professors are good, the food is great, there is no on-campus housing and there is a lot clubs that you could hang out.