Berkeley City College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Berkeley City College

Luna

I am currently a sophomore at BCC and am about to transfer to my dream university and going to BCC was one of the best academic decisions I've ever made. From the moment I registered for classes, I felt safe, secure, and trusted the faultity working there, including office clerks to professors. The professors were always eager to educate and well organized. Counselors here were definitely one of the biggest benefits of going to BCC because they were always engaged to help student achieve where they wanted to go in the future and made sure every course was needed and met. I feel strongly satisfied and successful with my time here at BCC and would recommend anyone going to a community college to come here.

Teresa

I do think that the staff can be more willing to help their student's they don't do enough especially the financial aid office and the counselors. But there are a few wonderful counselors who will go above and beyond to help you, and some of those don't even work there full time, so i really appreciate their help, but its hard to find the good ones, other than that the teachers for the most part are very helpful and knowledgeable .

Andrea

Berkeley City College is an amazing community college to be in if you're are very focused on your academics and love to be involved. There is a great social element and strong tight community feeling, with many opportunities to get involved in clubs, volunteering, and many other extracurricular activities. You feel very supported throughout your time there and get help in whatever you need. The counseling is a bit hectic at the start of the year, it is difficult if you're undecided and need multiple plans to transfer but the counselors are patient and you soon learn to not be so dependent on them. Overall, this school is the best community college if you're a student that is undecided and dedicated to your education as well as being involved in/outside of the school.

Ayrik

I believe this school is great for students who are not set on what their educational goals are. There are plenty of services and plans that are available for students to access to gain support in the area. Professors and counselors are great and make the overall school community great because they are available and show they believe in one's success. It is a campus that encourages students to get involved as it offers various jobs for the students. It is a great school to help create your foundation and set up your future.

Ann

Heave democratic supporters. Everyone, including non-students, are nice and well mannered. Many students are very active in the community, facility is well maintained, has a security at the door (to assist students if they're lost), bathrooms are ADA compliant, elevators available as well as stairs, has a somewhat modern feel to the design/layout of the interior. Student artwok is placed throughout the facility.

In my opinion if I had to recommend a Community College from the Peralta District I would immediately say Berkley City College. I have attended other community colleges within the same Peralta district and I have to say; the unique and beautiful structure and convenience from the elements in the winter due to the indoor atrium, consistent cleanliness of the building and overall environment alone make Berkeley City College my favorite. Every semester regardless of the course or teacher the material is always really enriching, and when I need extra help I can always reach out and find the assistance I need. The students are also very friendly and welcoming; I have enjoyed the numerous clubs and have been very involved in many areas of student and faculty culture on campus, my overall experience has been amazing at Berkeley City College. I am a student worker for many of the teachers and faculty on campus, when they need a runner or something done efficiently, they know they can depend on me to get it done effectively and in a timely manner. The staff and faculty are really dedicated to their duties, and make themselves available to the students. There are amazing resources in the Library, for example I have needed to complete online assignments, and this has been possible with the computer lab, and Mac programs, and renting a netbook from the library for a day. There is a Learning Resource Center that has helped me personally grow and maintain my 4.0 GPA. I am highly involved with the DSPS Disability Support Services, as a note taker every semester, and I am proud to assist students who are visually impaired or have other disabilities. The DSPS office has been extremely helpful in fulfilling their responsibility to accommodations with test taking and constant communication with my teachers. When I had a severe head injury from a seizure a few semesters back, I needed to miss a month of school from a severe concussion, these were doctor's orders. I was able to catch up on my work with flexible deadlines, and I still completed the course with the highest GPA in my class. I always communicate with my teachers extensively with impeccable attendance to clarify assignments, or find my weaknesses as a student so I can strengthen these areas. The counselors have been going above and beyond to make sure I have all my units to transfer, and when I ask specific questions the are very knowledgeable in giving me detailed information that I can follow up on and make a decision based on it. I appreciate the time the counselors spend with the students, even when there is something they are unsure about the will look it up, or make the necessary calls to figure it out. In 2019, I will be graduating and transferring to University of California Berkeley, I am sad to transfer because I truly feel like Berkley City College has become more than just a school to me, but an extension of my family, however I am excited to pursue my dual major in education and be that much closer to achieving the necessary skills for my career in Business and Law.

Angela

BCC is a decent community college that paves you a pathway for future success if you know what resources to take advantage of. It's a great deal for the price (being a community college) to knock down some gen-ed credits, and it's partnered with UC Berkeley, providing even greater academic opportunities and transfer workshops. Some teachers are un-engaging or unpleasant, but most of the teachers I've had during my two years here were such a pleasure to talk to, and I passed all of their classes with flying colors! For me, the only downside to community college was the lack of community, as many students work to support themselves and are not as engaged in class, but that was remedied by bonding with my coworkers and the people in my extracurriculars.

Lea

Berkeley City College is a great school for people who want to transfer to a four year college. The professors are motivating and will help you whenever needed. The students around are also very friendly and it is easy to form study groups with fellow classmates. Berkeley City College is close to UC Berkeley as well and is close to many amazing cafes, where students like myself spend a lot of time studying in.

Package

Overall the college is very diverse, you get to see different people from different cultures and experiences. The faculty is very nice and easy to talk to. Every day you get to experience something new. Even though the campus is small, but you dont have to stay on campus, there a variety of place to go to.

Gregory

I really like this college! Sure It's not as big of a campus like Contra Costa College, but I like the big building they got there, the teachers there are nice and easy to talk to, I met a lot of new friends there, and I learned a lot ever since I've enrolled there. I'm thankful that I go to this college!

Jordan

Berkeley City College is a gem, located in the heart of downtown Berkeley. The range of classes is tremendous, and one can also take classes in any of the Peralta schools. The professors are accessible and helpful and care about the students. Class size is very reasonable- much less than a private school. Tuition is affordable, the location is right by BART and the campus is fresh and airy. Shout out to the best counselor ever-- Skylar Barton, always available to help, direct and encourage our students.