Bethel College-Indiana Top Questions

Tahira

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would emphasize the importance of studying and the opportunity of spending my time immediately after high school in a 2-year program at a community college. Even though I was an honor student I could have done better; there is always room for improvement. By attending community college before a 4-year college I could have saved my family thousands of dollars. Now that I know better, I encourage any high school students that I encounter to think about going to community college first.

Malena

College is not as scary as it seems from the outside. Yes, you will have days that you feel overwhelmed or homesick, but you will have the time of your life. The chapel services that you are so scared of are the highlight of your week and you actually miss them during breaks and weekends. There are amazing people here, and some of the best ones are the professors with whom you will be working. You have a great mentor who is one of your American Sign Language professors. The ASL department has been phenomenal so far, and they have been very supportive, while giving fantastic constructive critisism. Do not give up hope, you will thrive here. It will be one of the best years of your life so far, while also being one of, if not, the most transforming years of your life. Bethel College-you will love it!

Don't procrastinate, especially on big projects. Do a little everyday, so the deadline does not sneak up behind you and hit you with a knockout. Nothing good comes from trying to complete 75{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of a project that could make or break your grade, the night before. Study a little every day, especially when you know a test is coming. Ten minutes going over notes will save you during finals week, and almost any surprise quiz. Appreciate time with family. Soon, you'll be moving out and won't see them often. Don't make yourself regret time you didn’t spend with them Learn those life skills your parents want to teach you. Like how to stop an overflowing toilet. Don't obsess over boys, especially in high school. When you leave for college, you leave them, unless they follow you to college. Don't throw away your dreams over some boy. The best years of your life are not HS. I barely remember HS, and it was only last year. HS drama is overrated and should be avoided. Don't stress out much over the future. Do your best, and you will always know you did your best.

elizabeth

If I could give advice to myself in high school it would be that self-discipline is the most important lesson you can learn in college. Newly found independence is as intoxicating as a drug, but you need self-discipline to keep you from getting off track. There is no one to hold your hand in college or force you to do anything, you have to do it on your own. You may think that you can get by in life without a college education, and that may be true, but getting by isn't what you want. You want to thrive and without passion for your job that will not happen and you will soon find yourself an unhappy person. Self-discipline is what will keep you from a boring job that makes you feel like you are wasting your time getting up every morning. Self-discipline doesn’t mean that you can’t have any fun in college or that you have to spend all your time studying, it simply means that you can do what needs to be done, what is best for you and your future.

First of all, I would tell myself that I could go to college with financial aid (I didn't know this), that I WAS smart enough, and that I would NOT be able to make it on my work ethic alone. I would tell myself that I was normal (considering), that members of the opposite sex would not carry me through and be there for me in life necessarily, and as I got older I would need to know more than I learned in streetwise knowledge. I would tell myself that there would be children, and that in order to make their lives and my life better than my mother's hell, I would need a good education-because I did NOT know enough to survive necessarily. I was smart, but not as smart as I needed to be about how to make it. Don't touch the alcohol, it may make you more social now, but will rob you of all dignity over time. It will kill you after it puts you on the street with seizures. The life you are living now is absolutely NOT your destiny or fate, and you do have control over it.

I would advise myself to incorporate a part time job into my schedule so that I can save what I earn for my college expenses. I would also advise myself to start applying for more scholarships.

The advice that I would give myself is this: take the hard classes; don't slack off. I know that it seems hard at the time, but if you just take these classes, it will benefit you in the future. You won't have to worry about not knowing what you are learning about because you should already know it. Right now you might not want to take the hard classes, but you must. The easy classes won't benefit you much at all, especially if they have nothing to do with your future. Just trust in God and He will guide you through your classes. Endure through the hard classes. Don't worry about not getting one homework assignment done if you were up all night doing another very important project. Don't worry about the small amount of time that you have to do a homework assignment; just get what you can get done. Also make more friends and spend time with them. Make a difference in people's lives. Don't be afraid to step out and be different. Take time to read books; it will help you in college when you have to write research papers.

I would tell myself to focus more on grades so that i could get more scholarships.

Krystina

Work hard at all my classes and think about the future. Dont just do what people tell you, find what you like.

Abby

I have learned so much living with other girls my age, I have built friendships here that I will have the rest of my life. I also feel like I have learned so much about being an adult and being in charge of my own responsiblities. I have much better studying skills now than I ever had in high school. I can now feel comfortable doing things that while I was still in high school I could not do. I have also learned so much from my professors about my major. I really feel like by the time I graduate, I will be able to be a great competent nurse. It has been really valuable for me to go to college, I know that I am a completely different person now that is more responsible and in charge of my future .

Krista

I am still in the beginning stages of my college career but I am already able to see the benefits of my decision to attend college displayed in my day to day life. Since coming to college I believe that I have had to become a more responsible and timely individual. I have also learned to try new things and to have as many new experiences as I can. I joined my schools co-ed cheerleading squad even though I have never cheered in my life, just to develop a new skill set and to try something out of comfort zone. I am learning how to share space with others through having a roommate which helps to develop important people skills. I have to manage my time better, take initiative, keep up with my email and manage my finances, all of which are skills needed in the so-called "real world."

So far I have not really gotten that much out of college. Half way through my second year I was pulled to deploy to Iraq making me take a grade in progress. Being deployed has taught me more discipline than any other military training. Having this ability will make me be able to proceed in school and have a very established future once I successfully finish college.

Darryl

I have gained so much knowledge in my field of study (accounting & business administration). Between Ivy Tech Community College and Bethel College I have grown as a man nd found who I really am and what I am called to do. By completing the programs that I intend on completing (MBA and Masters in Accounting) I will be able to show my chidlren how important college is and that a college education is something that no one can take away from you. I have learned that even though I was not a good high school student graduating with a 2.0 GPA does not mean that I will be a bad college student (current GPA 3.67). I now understand why college is so important especially in todays' society with todays' economy a college degree is almost necessary. In my fields of study a college education is a must. I was always told that knowledge is power and in my field of study I plan on being one of the most powerful person ever.

Kassie

My college experience has been more than just learning in the classroom. I have learned so much about myself as well as my religious beliefs. First semester was a very bumpy road for me with time management and responsibility to my work and to my classes, but I have learned so much that will help me with my future. If it wouldn't have been for one of my teachers who saw me struggling and helped pull me out of the hole I was in, I wouldn't have the burning desire to continue college and pursue my bachelors degree in Criminal Justice. The classes that I have taken continue to help me with my dream to be in the Law Enforcement System as well as advance my knowledge of the Bible and important life issues. The college life is nothing like what I thought it would be, its better!

I have not yet been able to experience college. For the past year I have been working to save up to hopefully be able to make it while on my own and surviving this economy with working and going to school. I have been blessed to have made it this far and I can not wait to be able to continue my goals and dreams of becoming a nurse so I can help our comminuty. Sometimes people wonder why I haven't began college yet, with my highschool GPA and knowing that no one in my immediate family has finished college. I am fortunate to have the opportunity to continue my edcation and I can not wait to see what college has in store for me. I know I have been out of school a little over a year yet I still have the drive in me to meet my goals and I have the determination to complete what I have wanted to do since I was a little girl. One step at a time I will become successful at my dreams and my future is and will be in my hands. I am thankful to be in my shoes.

Rache

I graduated from the Practical Nursing Program from Owens Community College in Toledo almost four years ago, and it helped me get my feet wet in the nursing profession. I have been a charge nurse at an assisted living facility since I graduated and the preparation I recieved in college helped me to do my job well and manage my staff. I am now ready to move up the ladder and earn my Registered Nursing degree to broaden my career.

Steve

I have learned that there is a great diversity of people with reguard to age, race, attitude tward learning, and future goals. We all have our own reasons for attending college and mine is for retraining. As a recently laid off worker and father of four, I found myself living without the income I was used to and no employment oppertunities in my field. Having done some research on careers available in my area, I decided to attend college and become an electronic tech. I have been taught how to use computers more effeciently and how to use my time to study more effectively. I still have some time left before I graduate and I always look forward to the challenges of the classes that I am most "rusty " in. Learning as an adult has been very rewarding and there are careers in my area looking for employees right now.

I have gotten a better understanding of who I am and what I want out of my life. I have a much closer relationship with God then what I did just a few months ago. I also feel that I am getting the education that I need in order to be able to go out into the world and make a difference and succeed in my endevors.

Josephine

I have learned to become a positive addition to my community. I have valued the team work excerises that I was asked to perfrom by my professors. Every day was a new experience, every class time I was eager to bring my pencil and note book and absorb the knowledge that my professors had to offer me. I am so eager to attend RIT for Biomedial Photo communications for bigger and better future. The small classes in a community classes helped to make a personal connection with your professors and other classmates. I was not fearful to raise my hand with a question or comment. I worked in small study groups after class which really helped with my understanding of the material and also showed in my grades. I am a very strong team leader as a result of this " team" that was built at my community college. I now thrive from problem solving and finding a solution for a common quest. Please consider me for your scholorship and help me to fufil my dreams. thank you so much for your time Josephine Smith

There is not a lot that I would do differently for making the transition to college. The advice I would give myself is to work as hard as I could so I would be prepared for the college level work. Also, some major advice I would give myself is to fill out as many scholarships as possible because I do not want to have numerous loans. After four years of college, it will be extremely tough to pay all the money I owe. Therefore, the advice i would give myself is just to work hard and fill every scholaship out that I can.

Elise

I would tell myself to enjoy school but also work hard. I learned that the hard way by not doing as well as i would have liked my freshman year. Stay focused and NEVER give up, no matter how bad it may seem.

RIKKI

If I could travel back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, this is the advice I would give myself. One, do NOT go to a non-accredited college. Transferring to another university is really hard and you loose lots of college credits. Two, go to a college that meets your needs. Attend Bethel College because there are teachers there who will help you daily. Attend this college because your voice teacher you will have will do wonders with your voice and take you to another world of singing. Instead of only going there for three years, attend the college for all five years and you will double your accomplishments. Three, make friends within your first week. Do not wait because you will only feel like an outsider that much longer. Four, stay on top of homework and tests. You will have to study a lot but the oppertunities you will have offered to you in the future will be worth it. Five, believe in yourself and do not let anybody make you feel discouraged or unworthy to be a singer. Finally, work really hard in the summer and then take it easy during school.

Going back in time and talking to myself as a high school senior, know what I know now would certainly prove to be beneficial. It is true, I know so much more than before, although I still have a long way to go. I would begin by telling myself that there will be things you did not expect to struggle with that will stretch you. Similarly, there will be things you thought would be difficult, but ended up fine. While there are many new faces, do not be overwhelmed. Thought it would be easy to try and find even partial replacements for your friends at home? Establishing those friendships took time, likewise, it will take time at college as well. Use your ?thinking cap? like you were told in elementary. People often find themselves in dangerous, awkward, or painful situations because their brain was not engaged. Staying in touch with those at home, as difficult as it may be, is completely worth it in the long run. Those people are still an iatrical part of your life and who you are. Yes, things are busy and you are here to learn, but they love you and want you to succeed.

Dominique

Well first of all, congratulations on making it to college. I want to begin with, "Don't forget the past or where you came from. Only remember what you have learned." Here's the thing now, track is going to be your life. You'll practice six days a week and you're going to have to toughen up sister. When moving in, come on the same day with the rest of the freshman. You came a day early but it doesn't matter. In the room, bunk your bed right away and at semster, just switch beds with Pua. Either that or get her to bunk her bed right away. There will be more space in the room if you can raise a bed or two. Written Communications II is going to have a lot so stay ahead on Anatomy and Phisilogy as much as possible. Start that study guide of yours early. Spend some time with the roomies every now. After that, enjoy life because once second semester comes, your Saturdays will not exist, due to meets.

Enjoy this last year of high school. Don't let it pass by too quickly because next year its time to buckle down and start working for your life. Everything you do in college with be to work towards your career in the ministry and helping all those youth. College is a time for fun and work but you have to remember to work as hard as you can and over prepare for everything. Its better to go to class and be bored because you know what the professors are talking about than to be rushing to take note of every word that comes out of thier mouth. Use your time wisely because no one will tell you when to go to sleep or when to eat. You will have to balance work, play, and general life and health. Next year will be something that you wont be prepared for and no matter what I tell you now it will be a struggle. The future holds a path that has twists and turns and ups and downs but no matter what keep your eyes up and look forward. The ultimate goal is obtainable and you will reach if you try!

If I was given the opportunity to travel back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself some valuable advice. I would say, ?Stephanie, you need to get informed, get ready, and get excited.? My high school self would be speechless out of shock from having a visitor from the future, but that would give the more talkative wiser version of myself, more opportunity to speak. I would continue, ?Yes, get informed. It is very important that you pick a college that is the right fit for you. It does not matter where you friends are going or what they are interested in. Pick something that interest you and find a college that offers programs in that area of interest. Get ready. College is coming faster than you think, so get the education, finances, and experience you need. Spend valuable time with the people you love, but do not worry because you will see them again. Finally, get excited! Although college may seem terrifying now, you will love it and it will be some of the best years of your life.? As I look back, I think I followed my advice pretty well.

If I could go back to high school and visit myself as a senior I would tell my self not to think I know everything about my future yet. In high school I would have sworn to you that I wanted to be in secondary education as an English teacher. After examining my life I realized that I wanted to become a lawyer. I would tell my younger self to keep your options open and do not set the bar lower than what you are capable of achieving. I do not believe that I know too much more than I knew back in college. Instead, I now have experiences that one can only achieve with being in college. I have seen many things that I would tell myself to stay away from and also things that I wish I would have done. Life is all about the experiences that one can have while retaining ones morals/beliefs. I would remind myself to not get caught up in situations that compromise my own beliefs. I would tell myself to knuckle down and actually do my best in my senior year and not just skate bye in order to be more successful.

I would of tried to study harder and go to a better college. I would of realized what major I should of taken. I would of signed up for scholarships earlier.

Rebekah, determine why you want to go to college. Don't go if you don't know why, but once you do know what to pursue, pursue it with all of your heart. You will face many difficult decisions in the future. Determine what your goals and standards are before entering this new world. Write down commitments that are vital to keep, and read them daily. Do not stray from relationships, especially your parents. When school is done, they will be there to help you. They love you tremendously, and although it is important to form new relationships, don't dump the old ones. If you are not serious about college, it is not for you. If you do not want to learn, college is not for you. If you do not want study and lack sleep, college is not for you. If you do not want to pursue a dream, college is not for you.

lillian

If i went back in time and talked to myself as a highschool senior I would say "Lillian, God is about to take you on an amazing ride, Jesus is going to do amazing growing, healing, and teaching in you. You'll experience persecution and it'll be hard, but completely worth it. I'm excited for you to experience His power and love. Keep clinging to Jesus and walking in faith through this hard time, remember He's holding your hand the whole time or carrying you. Amazing beauty is going to come from your pain." and i'd give my highschool self a big hug. Highschool was a time of survival, i've grown up in abuse. In highschool Jesus saved me and I asked Him into my life. Life was still extremely hard, i still had to survive my domestic life, and i had plenty of issues w/out the time to deal w/them but the anger, bitterness, and burden had been lifted and i knew i wasn't alone. That's why I'd tell myself of a greater hope and adventure that is coming, a time of healing-- painful as it may be sometimes.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to stress out as much about the little things, and worry more about doing my best on my homework and finding scholarships. I also would tell myself to spend more time developing my gifts and talents. Practice piano more, write more short stories, or find some ways to expand my knowledge of sign language (the degree I'm pursuing now).

Elise

I would tell myself to take it easy and not rush into things. Focus on you studies when you get to college don't let the whirlwind of college life sweep you. Also have fun try and make an equal balance of you studies and hanging out with friends, don't just be a bookworm or don't be a socail butterfly really try and balance it all out. IT IS WORTH IT!!!

Neil

Who doesn't wish they could go back in time? Everyone wishes they could change or prevent something from happening , or simply prevent heartache or stress. Although it would be nice to go back in time, all I would need is to go back in time and reason with myself. This is what I would say. "Congradulation on getting accepted! You're about ready to move on to the next step. You have a lot of potential, and these next years will profoundly impact who you will become. Thats not to say that you need to feel an inordinate amount of pressure in beginning college, but you need to understand that you will begin developing exponentially in the near future!" "You will always have something to learn. Please, do not assume that there is any one person that cannot teach you something! Devope a passion for learning and get excited about any oppertunity that comes your way. Life is full of adventure, and that adventure comes to us when we grab on to oppertunities! What makes you excited? Do it! Begin by focusing on the intermediate parts of your goals, and the big picture will soon be yours. Good Luck!"

Garrett

Dear Me, Next year you will be starting your journey as a college student. One thing I want you to never forget is the importance of relationships. While at college, you will make lifelong friends. But those friends don't magically fall into your lap. You must work at getting to know others. You must go beyond surface level. You must go deeper in your friendships. Sure, it may be scary or uncomfortable at times, but when you truly grasp the importance of close relationships, your life will never be the same. Don't be afraid to go out of your comfort zone to meet new people. And don't be afraid to be open and honest with them. Too many times we think being vulnerable is a bad thing. But you will never understand the importance of compassion and intimate friendships until you are willing to be vulnerable with those whom you trust. College is partly about going to class and earning a degree. But grades, honors, and accomplishments only last for a short time; relationships last a lifetime. Have no fear. Sincerely, Me

I advise parents and students to work together to make the best college decision for the student. Take everything into consideration when choosing the right campus for you. Be sure to look at class sizes, academic quality, social activities, food quality, and cost. Be sure during your freshman year to be really involved in campus activities. Make friends that will last forever. Feel free to ask questions to upperclassman who are willing to help. Do not be scared to start a new chapter in your life.

maggie

you really should visit each college your considering.spend the night with a student who is living on campus,it helps you get a feel for dorm life.go to a class,it'll help you see how the professors are and give you a better feel for what other classes will be like.make the most of your visit at the college.you'll just know its the right choice. when your accepted and you finally move on campus,make sure you and your roomie get along.spend time with her/him.it'll help the rooming situation.make sure you make a small group of amazing friends.ones you know will make you study when you need to,but yet know when you need to have fun,and ones that will be there when your first relationship doesnt work.pick a professor you can confide in.one who will encourage you and help you succeed.make sure you follow the rules,some consequences arent fun,and some people will think that of you forever.last but not least,make the most out of it,it goes fast.so live it up!

Katrina

When looking for the right school one must take into account the fact that he or she will be there for a while, whether two or four years. It is important to figure out what you want out of this experience. Would you desire and easy fun time to party and socialize, or a place to study hard and head toward a career. Do you want to study abroad or have other valuable cultural experiences? Are you more likely to succeed in a large class or in a small class where you can get personalized attention. And also, what are your ideas for time apart from your studies, such as sports, events, extra-curricular and working. My advice, uwhether parent or student, is to sit down and look at each issue seriously and thuroughly. Choosing a major and area to study is no doubt important, but college is so much more than just learning. I is a living for the first few years of your adult life, and it will shape the rest of you life.

Schedule visitation dates to all the colleges you are looking at. Seriously, it makes the world of difference to experience each college option and get a "feel" for the student life, chapel, professors, and activities. When I visited Bethel, I somehow knew that was the college for me, and I would be dissatisfied if I pursued any other college. To the parents, money will have a strong weight on the decision, but I can attest to the fact that some colleges that are priced higher are worth it, especially for the quality of the education, students, and lifestyle. I would hate to attend a cheap college that did not challenge me in my classes or that made me hesitant to go to school everyday because the people were unfriendly or unhelpful. I am glad to be attending a college that will teach me through vigorous classes, show me how to perform my future job in a way that honors the Lord, and that will allow me to enjoy my four years at this college. Sometimes you will get what you pay for, so that should not be that pressing of an issue, unless in desperate situations. I love my college!

I would advise anyone who is looking for a college to attend to look for a school that is both comfortable and challenging. Look for somewhere that won't make you feel like you're completely lost and unsure, but make sure it isn't too easy for you either. The best way to grow and change for the better is to have to work for things from time to time; which is really what college is all about anyway. Look for a place that has a strong academic background and a bright future. It is important that your prospective school provides the area of study that interests you and will allow you room and opportunity for a change of mind. To parents it is important for you to feel safe sending your child to this school since the safety of one's children is the highest on the level of importance to a parent. Also, you should feel confident in the academics and the faculty. Find out if there is a way for you to be active in your child's education, and take advantage of that at every turn while still allowing your child the growth necessary.

Breanna

I would tell parents and students to visit the colleges of their choice, investigate their programs, find out about financial aid and see if the college is a good fit for you. Bethel was just right for me as I liked the small class sizes, campus, and everything they had to offer.

College is all about what you are willing to put into it. There are hundreds of colleges and universities out there, and going to any number of them can get you a great education or an awful one, depending on your effort, desire, and hunger to learn. Going to a prestigious school does not matter if you are not willing to work hard and seek to learn and do as much as you can. Likewise, going to a smaller or less well-known school does not mean that you won't get a world-class education if you are willing to put in the time. What you do outside of class makes all the difference. You can only attend so many classes/lectures/plays, go on so many trips, or participate in so many activities regardless of where you go, so the meat of your education will come from what you do outside of the classroom. The books you read, the friends you make, the questions you ask, the conversations you have will do more to shape you in your college years than anything that will take place inside the walls of a classroom.

Visit as many colleges as possible. To make the most out of your experience, you need to be open to any experience possible.

I would say that parents and students should just go by what the students interests are. If the student likes party schools, then the student and his family should find out more about party schools. If it is a Christian family, than the family should look at Christian schools.

I would suggest that students make a list of what they are looking for in a college. When they visit a particular school I would advise them to write down their likes and dislikes, since it can be difficult to remember the pros and cons about each school. I would also advise the students to look at the quality of education they would be receiving. Some schools may look appealing but tend to have a big focus on partying and less emphasis on education. For both students and parents, I would suggest that they look into what financial aid they could qualify for. Even at private schools there are a number of scholarships and financial aid available for students. At the school I attend, professors have come to class begging students to take advantage of the scholarships that are being offered. I would also advise students to observe the atmoshpere of the school that they visit, because that can tell a great deal about the people who attend there. Lastly, I would encourage students to select the college that they feel ?fits them? and would meet their needs and expectations.

Curtis

When you are looking for a college be sure that you focus on the community as well as the academic quality of the institution. Going to a college for just the academic view is a way that although the student may be more studious they will not develop as many deep relationships that can be found at colleges with a well built community.

I would make sure you're looking at the campus as a whole, faculty, previous stundents as well as current. Make sure that you're looking at every aspect, from the education, their resources, althletics. College isn't 100 percent about education its about the relationships you make, the service you provide the community and most important your relationship with Christ. College not only gives you an education but a betteroutlook on life, it makes you grow up to be a better person. So dont just look at it as a way to further your education, look at it a way to further yourself as a person as a whole.

Lindy

When searching for a college make a list of all of the elements you are looking for in your college experience. If you know what area you want to major in you can narrow your options down to schools that provide that major and those that have excellent programs in that area. Make sure to visit the college. This is really important because you want to be somewhere you will feel comfortable and you will be able to tell when you walk on a campus. Also decide if you want to stay close to home or not. Contact the admissions office and take advantage of services they offer such as telecounselors (students who will call and answer any questions you have). Ask about finanicial aid and other services the school offers. To get the most out of your college experience one of the most important things is to keep an open mind. Be open to new experiences and ideas. One of the important parts of your experience is meeting new people, viewing other cultures, and gaining new perspectives on life. Try to be involved in clubs and extracurricular activities. College is the best time to experience new activities.

Yonathan

research and look for what you really want your kids to go thorugh and find the best programs out there!

I would suggest living on campus and not commuting from home so that you can experience the full college experience. I encourage students to get out of their "box" and get involved in the different opportunities on campus. When looking for the right college, pick one that has your major and one that you feel comfortable with the size.

If you or your child have any interest, no matter how little interest it may be, in attending or considering a school for attendence, don't throw it out of the pile. Visit as many schools as possible, because the event of actually being on the campus helps to decide where you want to attend- the brochures can only help some. If you let yourself throw a school out of consideration because of something on the website or in a brochure that your not quite sure about, you may be missing a great opportunity.