Saint Paul, MN
Bethel University-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bethel University-Saint Paul

Krista

More than just academics and campus life, I have learned a lot about my values, interests, and strengths. Learning these lessons alongside supportive friends and professors has been an invaluable experience. I know that these lessons will prepare me for the working world more than any textbooks, lectures, or exams ever could. That being said, the education I have received has prepared me well for my career field. I have learned a balance of theories and skills that will equip me to be a good nurse. I have learned the beauty of caring deeply and personally for patients, while maintaining a sense of professionalism in the therapeutic relationship. I have also learned the benefit of viewing the patient as a whole - an interconnection of mind, body, and spirit. Each dimension - mind, body, and spirit - play an important part in the healing process. To ignore one of these dimensions is to do a disservice to the patient. My college experience has provided me with self-knowledge, academics, and an educated worldview. All of these have prepared me well to enter the nursing field.

I really enjoy the academics. As a nursing major, the work is difficult, but challenging in a good way. The professors push you to do your best, and sometimes the work load seems impossible, but you learn a lot. I have taken some other classes (not nursing related) that have been much more relaxed, but still conducive to a lot of learning. Some of the discussion based classes are my favorite, because you see things from many different perspectives.

Probably the disorganization of the school. There seems to be somewhat of a disconnect between academics life, campus ministries, and student life, which can be frustrating for students. As our school is growing and changing, I have found some inconsistencies between these organizations on campus. However, I realize that our school is growing and changing... meaning that they don't have everything figured out yet.

Colleen

Mostly conservative, some open-minded, many ready to learn.

Mostly conservative, some open-minded, many ready to learn.

I have gotten many things out of my college experience. Most valuable to me is my academic knowledge of the Bible. I grew up in a Christian home, but academic knowledge was not a focus of my Christian Education. I loved deepening my practical knowledge in a relatively unbiased setting. College also made me a more independent person. I learned how to make friends and be happy on a campus where I didn't really fit in. And finally, I gained lots of practical knowledge and a degree with a university name that will carry me far in my field, especially in this state.

A liberal person who want the "typical" college experience (read: lots of drinking).

Bethel has an amazing community of people that are striving to engage with each other as well as with their faith. Bethel is centered around values of reconciliation and being whole and holy people. Bethel is also situated in a suburb of St Paul and therefore I am able to go to the city and find things to do as well as escape from the busy lifestyle. Bethel has high academics and is respected around the area.

The young woman that came into Bethel University Fall of 2008 is not the same woman that is writing this application. In the last 2 and a half years I have began to scratch the surface of understanding who I am. Through classes and interaction with professors I have realized my desire for wisdom and understanding the world not only through my eyes but through the worldviews of others. Through my volunteer opportunities a passion for serving and helping others has erupted; especially in the regards of at-risk youth. Within the community and relationships with people at Bethel University I have discovered my personality and character as an out-going confident woman who loves to make others laugh. Most importantly through my college experience I have solidified my faith in Jesus Christ and have begun to understand the sacrifice He made for me and as a result the response of loving others I know have. Through my time at Bethel and the opportunities it has allowed me, such as studying abroad, I now know my passion and desire is to show compassion to others and take care of their needs and through that love and empower them.

People who are not looking to engage with others or the Christian faith should not attend this school. Also people who are not willing to work hard and interact with their courses on a critical level should not attend Bethel. Students who are looking to drink alcohol and be a part of the fraternity/sorority scene should not come to Bethel.

Mark

My college experience as helped me grow in both my work ethic and in my chracter. Bethel has done a great job in challenging me through my classes and teaching me that in order to achieve what I want in life I need to work hard and not just expect it to come to me. Bethel has also helped me grow as a person as each professor cares deeply about his/her students and even about the students' personal lives. This school also has helped my personal growth because of the opotunity for spiritual chapels three times a week and RAs which are always willing to sit and discuss life issues with any person. Overall Bethel has opened my eyes to life and helped me to learn to get the most out of it. This school has helped mold my college experience and make it be all I could even have wanted or dreamed of having.

Someone who is going to college just to party or someone who is in complete denial of God.

The loving and family environment that is shared by the entire campus.

Daniel

A large portion of them come from fairly well-off families, and they are largely fashion conscious; I believe that the current trends right now are flannel for men and the Ugg boots with leggings and a sweater dress for women, which leaves a population that is not so much trendy as...herd-like.

My college experience has been somewhat unique, and is certainly not for everyone. I love the small student population at my school. The professors are generally quite accessible, and the students are typically friendly (even if it may be slightly superficial at times). The "degrees of seperation" between students at Bethel is almost always two: if you don't know someone at the school, it's safe to assume that one of your friends does. The small community has, to me, always made it feel like a big family. If I were to pick one beneficial thing that I got from this school, it wouldn't be cutting-edge learning or a strong preparation for post-grad employment; I flourished at Bethel because everyone, from faculty to security to upper-classmen, is there for you if you need them. No school employee has ever complained of me wasting their time, even if I went to them for something that is outside of their job description. I guess my lesson learned is: I am part of a larger community than just my immediate circle of friends and aquaintences, and being there for others can make all the difference in their world.

There is a very touchy atmosphere surrounding minorities. The most prominent examples center around race and/or sexual orientation. Many students are conservative, but almost all are passive. The minorities (actually, small percentages of the minorities) feel slighted and expect the school to cater to them somewhat. As a result, there are often small issues that are blown out of proportion as the same students complain repeatedly about minor problems. Most of us don't mind people being gay, but we also don't want it to be grounds for faux-discrimination accusations.

Cindy

Bethel University is a very unique school. It combines God and learning in the same atmosphere. Bethel wants you to grow spiritually as well as intellectually. Bethel is a small college, but that’s never a bad thing. Bethel’s class sizes are small so you get tons of one on one time with you teachers. It’s really cool to see a teacher in the hallway and they know your name. Bethel is so unique, it’s a fantastic college to attend.

I have gotten many things out of my college experience. If I had never come to Bethel I would have never made such wonderful friends or learned so much about myself. It has been valuable for me to attend Bethel because I grew as a person. I have learned so much about myself that I would have never known had I not attended Bethel. Before I attended Bethel I was religious, but I didn’t have a fire for God. Now I do. Bethel has allowed me to grow spiritually, and given me a great education all at the same time. I am so glad I picked Bethel, because if I hadn’t then I would have never known myself as well as I do now. I am very happy I made the choice to attend here, and I think other’s who want to grow more spiritually would be smart to attend Bethel.

If a person is not a spiritual person, they will not want to consider Bethel. Here at Bethel, religion is integrated into everything we do here. Religion is important to most of Bethel’s students, and they do not want someone to come to Bethel and be negative about religion. Students are here to grow spiritually as well as intellectually, and they put God first, it is important that everyone who attends Bethel feel the same way, so we can grow as a community.

Lisa

Bethel is a very welcoming place. It has higher Christian values and an emphasis on living a Christian life. It has a very home-like feel. There are many planned activites that most people attend. Their academics are challenging but rewarding as well. I would not go anywhere else.

Attending college has meant everything to me. First off, it gave me freedom to make my own choices and to find out who I am without old friends and family. I got to be in a place where my past didn't affect me positively or negatively. It was a clean slate and I could be who I wanted to be without preconceived notions about me. I learned how to choose the friends that will stick with me forever and how to get along with those different from me. Most importantly I learned to rely on God for his plan in my life. I may not have everything figured out at this point but I know that God has a plan for me and the journey to learning that plan has been incredible. Being unsure about my future has opened the doors to experiencing new opportunities and trying new things. I know that there is a wide world of opportunity out there that I can explore in whatever way I chose. So college has opened my eyes to who my true self is and how I value in my relationship with God.

The most frustrating thing about Bethel is that it is mostly higher class white evangelical Christians. There isn't much diversity. A lot of emphasis is put on looking good and being a Christian. Some people are seen as fake and hypocritical.

Greta

My classmates at Bethel are relationship oriented, driven, hard working, caring, willing to help others, will maintain friendships after a class ends, and are interested in investing their lives in other students and others within the community.

In my two years at Bethel, I have gained a better understanding of who I am as a person. I have learned how to incorporate my faith into different areas of my life such as educating, math, and Spanish. I have learned that academics are important, and it is important to do well; however, it is more important to do my best. Whether I get A's, B's or C's, my hard work will be rewarded in my future career as an educator. Attending Bethel has given me opportunities that I would have not recieved at another university. I will be spending the next semester in Guatemala through a program at Bethel, and I am excited for all I will learn about another culture, myself, and God during this semester. It has also been extremely valuable for me to get an education at a Christian university and to learn from Christian profesors and surround myself with Christian friends. I have not only gotten an excellent education these past two years, but I have been able to build relationships with my profesors, friends, classmates, and roomates which have all helped me to grow personally.

I wish I had known how wonderful Bethel is and what a great experience I would have while here before I came to Bethel because then I would have worried a lot less about coming to college.

My school is faith-focused and a community.

My school is faith-focused and a community.

My college experience has been an experience of significant growth and maturation. Bethel provides a safe place to grow and mature spiritually, emotionally, and intellectually. I have not only gained knowledge that will be valuable to a future career, but have also gained skills, relationships, and knowledge that will be invaluable to me in my future.

I wish I had known more about the theological beliefs of Bethel University.

Susy

Someone who wants to grow deeper in their faith with God, grow closer with their community and friendships, and leave well rounded and educated and who likes to have good, clean fun.

Someone who doesn't want to leave college as changed person with an overall attitude of understanding the wonderful differences that God has given all of us.

I have learned how to understand differences in people racially, economically, and socially. I have learned how to relate and communicate with people without trying to change them and also how to grow closer to God through growing closer to other people. Bethel has been extremely valuable to attend because they teach us stuff that is practically for real life- the life after college when things are getting extremely hard with bills and moving onto different chapters of your life whether that be getting married or having a career or exploring the world. I have learned that it is important to learn more about different cultures and what types of problems there are among our campus community and other communities around the world so that we are able to try to help each other out.

Bethel University-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.