Saint Paul, MN
Bethel University-Saint Paul

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bethel University-Saint Paul

Matt

Going into my third semester at Lehigh Carbon Community College, I have learned a lot about how to succeed in college. Transitioning from high school to college is not easy. I had a lot more studying and work. I had to learn to organize my day and learn new study skills. Living at home allows me to focus more on my academics than my social life. Going to LCCC has allowed me to take different courses to figure out what I want to major in without worrying about wasting credits and money. When I transfer, I will feel confident that I can balance my social life with academics. My goal is to make lots of friends and go to parties each weekend, while maintaining a minimum 3.5 GPA. My parents and my friends are skeptical, but I will prove them wrong.

Bethel has very approachable professors. They are available for personal meetings and eager to help us students get the most out of our experience in their classes. I have very much appreciated this in my more difficult classes. I don't just feel like a number, the professors refer to me by name and try to get to know me. Yet I don't feel like I am in a super small environment either. I meet new people every week and still don't know most of the people I see here! It's the perfect size for me.

One year ago, I decided that I was going to attend Bethel University for the 2010-2011 school year. Now, Looking back on my first semester of college, I see growth in my study skills, people skills, and development of my own identity. College classes rightly have a higher expectation for performance and class participation. I've learned that we all have different learning styles and must find which works best for us. Socializing has taken a new turn in college as well. There are people around everywhere, and many new friends to meet. I'm learning how to live with people with different values and perspectives than myself. I have learned the value of balancing my studies and my socializing. I have also had to determine when the two can and cannot mix. Lastly, I've been able to better develop and understand my own personal identity. I've had to make decisions on what my values are, what my priorities are, what I believe and why I believe it, and what I am going to stand for. I am discovering the strenths and joys of being myself while learning from my peers and their life experiences.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the cost. Bethel is great about doing whatever they can to make studying and living here affordable, and they do a great job. But books, meals, classes, and living do add up. I'd suggest looking in to as many scholarships and financial aid as possible. Things come together, and if God wants us here, he'll make it work out. The price can be stressful at times though.

Sara

The average Bethel student is a upper-middle-class, white, conservative, evangelical Christian and from the Midwest.

I've gotten an incredible amount of knowledge in how to relate to others who are different than me. Skin color and class-wise, I'm the same as most people here, but my life experiences have given my ideals and ideas that go against the norm of my college's culture. From this, I have learned to articulate and argue for what I believe when conversing with others, and to listen to people who don't agree with me. I've learned to recognize bias in both what is presented to me in class, and in my own work and viewpoints. Also, I'm learning to find points of common ground between people who see things differnently than I do. This experience has sharpened my communication skills and given me valuble experience that will serve me well in the workforce. Everyday, I'm forced to re-evaluate what I believe and why I believe it as well as articulate my thoughts to others in a clam manner. These skills that I'm gaining are priceless, and worth the price of tuition.

That the campus life is radically different than most other colleges. It's hard, because I feel like I'm living in an Evangelical Christian bubble most of the time - perspectives aren't that varied, and most everyone has a similar story. Political views are largely conservative, and sometimes I feel like I'm getting biased information from others. I came to Bethel from a secular public high school, and the social life, information presented, and attitude of the students is very different. I wish I had known that.

Cody

I have gotten many things out of my college experience, but here are a few main ones. A sense of how to be an individual that fits into a community. Cliche as it sounds, I am quite special, even if in a small way. Everyone is. What I've learned is that we can all be our own special person while still fitting into our community. One does not have to change who they are to do well with others, or to succeed within a group. Just as puzzle pieces are not meant to be cut or deformed to fit in, neither are people. A deep sense of self commitment and responsibility is another lesson learned. What I do is for myself, and for God. I cannot mainly relay on outside factors to motivate me, for they can disappear as quickly as they came. I will always be here for myself, as will God. This is important to "succeed." Another important lesson is dedication to what I start and what I do. Hard work, persistance and loyalty all combine well with life's journey. Learning to do well at what one does is key in happiness. These are my lessons.

Those that do not mind/are looking for a religious experience coupled with intense study loads. The typical Bethel University student is active in at least one extra-curricular activity, or is constantly with a group of people, whether it be to simply hang out or to study for classes. An incoming student should be wary, Bethel University is not a place that will grow your religion unless you want to be grown. Bethel provides the soil, but one must seek after their own water and light, being Jesus Christ. Religiously, and academically, it is not a free ride.

The worst thing about my school is the amount of money that I must put into it. Admittedly, I was not the best high school student, and did not try my absolute best. The same still applies, but not as much. With that said, I do not gain the best scholarships. On the other hand, my roommate, a straight 4.0 high school GPA and recently just lost his 4.0 college GPA does not have more than a few thousand dollars more than me in the scholarship departement. Most students here are not destined for high paying jobs, inconvientiently.

Josiah

Classmates are fun, energetic, easy to get along with, have great attitudes, but also are hard working, disciplined, and work their hardest for a good education.

My education here has really opened my eyes to the person that I am right now and the type of person that I want to become. It has given me a broad knowledge of all subjects and given me respect for the fields of study that I wasn't familiar with and the fields that I thought were boring and lame. Recently, I have been learning how to become a whole person in Christ in order to benefit my family, friends, colleagues, and people I don't particularly know. It has been a valuable and enriching experience during my freshman year.

Anyone can attend this school if they want. Everyone their is very welcoming no matter who you are or what your background is.

Katarina

Bethel University is an amazing private christian school, that is giving students a well rounded education, and are also working for the good of the community, both spiritually, physically, and practically.

What I have gotten out of my college experience? Well so far it has been amazing, I have met new people, of various races. I have developed friendships with many. My school work is going well, the teachers do their best to keep you focus on task, and motivated. The community at Bethel surrounds me when I need it to, it brings students through difficult times and it allows students to grow academically, and spiritually. Bethel University is a college of intergity, honor, and faith, and it teaches its students to be like wise.

The environment that surrounds the life style at Bethel. The people here focus of what God wants them to do, and they interact with others in loving and caring ways. Also the academic aspect of Bethel is very well put together.

Bethany

Bethel University has allowed me the opportunity to grow emotionally, spiritually, and intellectually. "Attitude is everything." The Nursing program at Bethel is unique; faculty are positive and encouraging to each other and the students. The professors are friendly and helpful to their students and are knowledgeable in the nursing profession. Thier passion for life is infectious. They inspire us to do small acts with great love; we students are held to a higher standard of care for our patients. Faculty emphasize the importance of equity towards all patients, regardless of their background or reason for seeking healthcare. I would heartily recommend this program to any prospective student who wishes to obtain a more holistic education in nursing.

The tuition weighs heavy. One guy in my building isn't going to be able to finish his degree- he is out of aid

Nursing department has a great lab and study area for nursing students. The new dining facility usually has a great salad bar. unfortunately, you have to pay for the whole buffet to get to it.

Krista

More than just academics and campus life, I have learned a lot about my values, interests, and strengths. Learning these lessons alongside supportive friends and professors has been an invaluable experience. I know that these lessons will prepare me for the working world more than any textbooks, lectures, or exams ever could. That being said, the education I have received has prepared me well for my career field. I have learned a balance of theories and skills that will equip me to be a good nurse. I have learned the beauty of caring deeply and personally for patients, while maintaining a sense of professionalism in the therapeutic relationship. I have also learned the benefit of viewing the patient as a whole - an interconnection of mind, body, and spirit. Each dimension - mind, body, and spirit - play an important part in the healing process. To ignore one of these dimensions is to do a disservice to the patient. My college experience has provided me with self-knowledge, academics, and an educated worldview. All of these have prepared me well to enter the nursing field.

I really enjoy the academics. As a nursing major, the work is difficult, but challenging in a good way. The professors push you to do your best, and sometimes the work load seems impossible, but you learn a lot. I have taken some other classes (not nursing related) that have been much more relaxed, but still conducive to a lot of learning. Some of the discussion based classes are my favorite, because you see things from many different perspectives.

Probably the disorganization of the school. There seems to be somewhat of a disconnect between academics life, campus ministries, and student life, which can be frustrating for students. As our school is growing and changing, I have found some inconsistencies between these organizations on campus. However, I realize that our school is growing and changing... meaning that they don't have everything figured out yet.

Colleen

Mostly conservative, some open-minded, many ready to learn.

Mostly conservative, some open-minded, many ready to learn.

I have gotten many things out of my college experience. Most valuable to me is my academic knowledge of the Bible. I grew up in a Christian home, but academic knowledge was not a focus of my Christian Education. I loved deepening my practical knowledge in a relatively unbiased setting. College also made me a more independent person. I learned how to make friends and be happy on a campus where I didn't really fit in. And finally, I gained lots of practical knowledge and a degree with a university name that will carry me far in my field, especially in this state.

A liberal person who want the "typical" college experience (read: lots of drinking).

Bethel has an amazing community of people that are striving to engage with each other as well as with their faith. Bethel is centered around values of reconciliation and being whole and holy people. Bethel is also situated in a suburb of St Paul and therefore I am able to go to the city and find things to do as well as escape from the busy lifestyle. Bethel has high academics and is respected around the area.

The young woman that came into Bethel University Fall of 2008 is not the same woman that is writing this application. In the last 2 and a half years I have began to scratch the surface of understanding who I am. Through classes and interaction with professors I have realized my desire for wisdom and understanding the world not only through my eyes but through the worldviews of others. Through my volunteer opportunities a passion for serving and helping others has erupted; especially in the regards of at-risk youth. Within the community and relationships with people at Bethel University I have discovered my personality and character as an out-going confident woman who loves to make others laugh. Most importantly through my college experience I have solidified my faith in Jesus Christ and have begun to understand the sacrifice He made for me and as a result the response of loving others I know have. Through my time at Bethel and the opportunities it has allowed me, such as studying abroad, I now know my passion and desire is to show compassion to others and take care of their needs and through that love and empower them.

People who are not looking to engage with others or the Christian faith should not attend this school. Also people who are not willing to work hard and interact with their courses on a critical level should not attend Bethel. Students who are looking to drink alcohol and be a part of the fraternity/sorority scene should not come to Bethel.

Bethel University-Saint Paul administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.