Bethel University-Saint Paul Top Questions

landon

time management!!!

Mitchell

If I could go back and talk to my self as a high school senior I would stress the importance of building good habits and seeking help when you need it. It can be a death sentence to your college GPA if you find yourself caught in a rut of bad habits pertaining to school work and studying. It is also very easy to develop these bad habits. In less then a week you can develop a bad habit of not getting out of bed when you need to. I would absolutely stress the importance of living a very deliberate life style. I would also emphasize the importance of seeking help when you need it. There is absolutley no reason why any college student should feel above seeking help from others. All that does is isolate yourself from others and force you to solve the issue blindly.

Makayla

I would tell myself to branch out a lot more than I did. It's awkward at first and I think I held myself back. I think if you can, push through the awkwardness and meet as many people as you can. There are some really great people to meet so don't hold yourself back. Also, don't stick with just one "group." I found out that "my group" isn't what I am looking for, so i'm glad I found some other people during a summer class. Use your freshman year to meet everyone and as the years go on, you will find who will become your lifelong friends.

I would tell my high school self not to worry too much about anything. I would want to know that my high school prepared me well for college, and nothing will be much of a shock. However, be sure to take the easy classes seriously. Just because you learned how to write a narrative paper in 6th grade, doesn't mean you skip doing the outline for it in your College Writing class in college - if it's easy, you better get an A.

Larissa

If I could talk to myself as I high school senior I would tell myself to look at the list of courses for my major and pre-requisites for graduate schools and see if I could get any of them out of the way through either college-in-the-schools or AP. I am currently finding myself taking classes that I could have easily taken in high school and gotten credit for, so it would have been nice to have thought about doing that.

I would tell myself to look deepply into the requirements of the general eds and classes in regards to my major. I would also tell myself to look at the option of adding a minor to my degree.

As a high school student, I figured that college would be a challenge and that I would be easily able to adapt. If I were to give advice to myself, I would tell myself that confidence can be a virtue and a downfall. Confidence is important because it can open up new opportunities, and yet too much confidence can be blinding. Also, I would tell myself that college life comes with much more responsibility. After high school graduation, I was an adult required to make my own decisions. The college experience provides a more lenient environment than high school. With more leniency comes more personal choices. I would tell myself to remember to keep focus on what is right. There is a time for play, and a time for work. This balance is sometimes hard to find and even harder to keep.

Zach

If I could go back in time and give myself some advice before heading off to college, I think the main thing I would tell myself is to not fall into bad habits as a senior. Many times as seniors you take the senior slide as they call it where you feel as though grades do not matter as much since I am already accepted and they tend to sluff off. I myself fell into this and now looking back I wish i had not. I know see how important it is to stay on top of school work not only for the grades and getting a good GPA but also developing good habits that help in college since you get a lot more school work and you have a lot more responsibilities and have to balance you time accordingly.

Jackie

Jackie, you are going to be introduced to people who give you a completely different outlook on life in college. They are going to challenge you in ways you didn't think you could be challenged. You are going to grow so much as a individual person. However, you're still in high school and you need to make the most of it. These next few months are precious so enjoy every minute of it while you can. Don't be scared to go onto another stage of your life, and don't wish high school away like I did. Being excited for college is a good thing, but remember you are very blessed to be living where you live. If you have time to take some AP classes and the AP tests, do that too! It really would help you to be a little ahead considering credits. Also, ignore everything people say about the senior slide. College is only a wake up call regarding the course work and you want to be as prepared as you are able to be. The classes are much more rigorous than you think. Enjoy it while you can!

Bekki

Go to the college YOU want to go to rather than the one that makes your parents happy, and don't let finances deter you; there are grants and scholarships available to help you succeed at the school that fits you best. Be wise about finances but don't let money control you. Live on campus and get involved. Allow yourself to try new things and get to know new people. Ask lots of questions and don't worry about looking stupid because if you have the question then someone else does too. Talk to your professors and get to know them as people. Your professors are there to help you, so don't be afraid to ask them for help. If you disagree with a grade you have been given, ask the professor about why you got the grade you did. Be prepared to work hard and don't let anyone else take away your dream or tell you that it is impossible. Follow your heart.

Sabrina

I would tell myself not to get too worked up about AP classes, because they seem a lot harder than college classes. I would also tell myself to spend as much time as I could with my friends, to not take their friendship for granted. The last thing that I would tell myself to be more organized, so that all of the homework gets done on time and the studying begins to get a lot easier than it seems.

I would give myself the advice to do better in high school. I spent a lot of time with extracurricular activities and didn't spend as much time as I should have academically. I would tell myself to study harder and to focus more on what I want to do with my future. Instead of just putting off studying and telling myself that it wouldn't matter. If I had spent more time studying, it would have benefited me with remembering more information from the classes I took in high school. Also I would have told myself to take Anatomy because it would have accelerated me while going into a Health career. Extracurricular activities are important, but I wish I had spent more time academically during high school and focused more on what carreer path I wanted when I got older.

I would tell myself to really get involved right away when getting to college. Being more involved in clubs and service organizations would have aloud me to make more friends and grow more spiritually.

Cherie

I would tell myself to worry less about what everyone else thought and more about what I thought. That while juggling college and a job is tough and exhausting, even at 33 years old it is still possible. Go for what you want, even if it takes a bit longer to find out what that is. Be happy, stay organized, get rest, ask questions ALWAYS. And fine time to enjoy the little things.

summer

If I could tell my self one major thing when I was a senior I would have said study harder and take chemistry and any hard classes that can give you college credit or prepare you for college. I would have told my self to manage my time better and practice better study habbits. College is an amazing expierence but I cant afford because im on my own and if I could go back in time I would have applied to more scholarships and done what ever I could to make sure I could afford to stay in college the years I could. My first year of college I got all A's which was a great achievement but I wish I could just go back in time and get grants or money for college so I wouldn't be in the position where I might not be able to go back.

Pengxue

To my young self, Do not slack off your senior year for the course load of college will be nothing like high school. Continue hard in learning math and problem solving skills. Continue to hone your writing skills, because that is how your professors will come to learn and see you. Writing communicates what you have learned or known to others. Continue to enjoy friends but I advise you to limit your time together to a minimum in order for you to grasp a firm understanding of what a good study routine is for yourself. Do not be afraid to break out of your shell and make new friends who are also studying the same area of interest as you. You can never have enough friends and together with these new friends, you shall struggle, but more importantly understand what you are learning rather than memorizing what you are told. Bring a water bottle. Water will keep you hydrated and concentratred in class. Bring snacks to keep you energized during your long studies. Last but not least, love your family for they will support you through all not just in college but in life.

I would tell myself not to take life so seriously. While school is a very important part of growing up, sometimes the ride is just as important as the destination. Enjoy the simplicity of high school life because as soon as you leave home, things will get much tougher. Eat every one of mom's delicious meals because you won't get that luxury in college. You need to learn how to work for your grades. In high school you didn't have to do much to get a great grade, but in college it is entirely different. Take every class for what it is: a fantastic learning opportunity. Listen to your professors (even when they aren't "teaching") and you will learn far more than you ever thought possible. Dream big and live life to the fullest.

Francesca

Popularity isn't everything. Having friends is great, but when it comes down to it, you do not need hundreds of friends. You truly only need a few really good friends to make you happy. Having a few close friends to talk to and have encourage you is truly all that is important in life. Striving for momentary happiness is never going to give you anything in the long run.

Reach out to others and join extra-curricular activities. Making friends is the best way to transition and have the needed support.

Making the transition to college is definitely nerve racking and no matter how much people tell you everything will work out, it’s still hard to believe. The expectations that everyone gives you about college can be hard to fulfill. The stereotypes of finding your lifelong friends and possible spouse in college can be daunting to figure out on top of school work. With all of the activities that the school presents, especially within the first year of college, I remember trying to fit too much in; all of it dealing with wanting perfect grades and perfect friends. Looking back I think some sound advice to help the transition into college would be to worry about one day at a time. Enjoy the small joyful moments you gain within friendships and academics. It’s so easy to plan for the future and get caught up in it. In doing that it’s easy to miss the best part of your college: the experience. College life can bring difficulties and tough decisions, but each day has its ups and downs. You don’t have to figure everything out from the get go; enjoy every moment, whether good or bad.

I would say to myself that i need to take more advanced classes that would help me with college. I would also say take high school more serious, because it will have an impact on yjour college. I did not know that high school credits could help so much in college. So overall i would say take high school very serious.

Prepare to adjust to living on your own. As much as you may think you're prepared and ready to move out the actual experience is different than you think. Also make an extra effort to step outside of your comfort zone to get to know and meet people. If you don't you could be spending a lot of time alone in your room while everyone else seems to be having fun. However there are a lot other students who will probably feeling the same so put forth a little effort and knock on your next-door-neighbors door, who knows they might be looking for something to do as well. In addition to getting to know people in general, don't let yourself only make friends with those who are the same as you. Prejudgement can really be harmful to others but even more so to yourself. You could be blocking a person who could prove to be a really good friend. As much if not more growth occurs outside of the classroom as in. Keep your opinions open, look at critiques of what you believe and strengthen your beliefs through them, but don't just stut down.

Cassie

When I entered Clark Community College in Vancouver, WA I was almost certain that the experience would be dull, academically un-satisfying and in general miserable. I quickly realized that this wasn't the case. Within the first two weeks of my attendance at Clark College I joined the French Club, created countless bonds with classmates, and gained confidence in my skills as a student. Not only does Clark College offer a beautiful campus with plenty of friendly students, it also offers more than equitable amounts of resources, particularly the drop-in trutor centers for English, Math, Science, and Foregin Language. I also enhanced my college experience by joining the debate team, where tournaments required us to traveled to several universities all over the North West, which allowed me to gain a feel for where I might like to transfer. Through the debate team, I was also granted an amazing opportunity to take an all-expenses-paid trip to Berlin, Germany where I spent time viewing some of the country's greatest land marks and submerging myself within a foreign culture. I have so much gratitude in my heart for Clark College and all it's done for me.

Dan

Being at a private Christian college in a suburb of St. Paul, MN I was expecting the atmosphere to be sheltered and isolated like an inbred culture. Whenever possible the “Bethel Bubble” needs to be popped. I have developed an analogy to describe my lifestyle here at Bethel. Bethel University is a forest of Christian trees. The trees in the center of a forest aren’t exceptionally healthy. They are in a place of limited nutrients, water, sunlight, and these trees do not need to developed deep roots since they are never tested by the winds. At Bethel I strive to be a tree at the edge of the forest being strengthened by the weathering and testing winds. I have learned the importance of being in a rich community of likeminded people while at the same time searching out those with opposing ideas to enrich my own expand my understanding of the world. With my attitude toward these experiences I feel I am taking full advantage of the diverse people and ideas in my school and in communities of the surrounding metropolitan area.

I have learned to examine and cement what I believe and Bethel focuses on teaching students how to think instead of what to think. I have learned to work hard in classes that may seem difficult, because Bethel allows for success.

Bridgit

It has been very valuable to attend Bethel Universtiy because I am always surrounded by christians who hold themeselves to a higher standard of living and honesty. Everyone here is always happy and helpful. I really enjoy being around other sutudents who have committed their life to Christ and that the faculty are held to the same standard as the students (the covenant applies to everyone, not just students). I love that here I am not faced with difficult choices as might be the case at a state universtiy. Being at a college like Bethel really has helped me to keep a good clear mindset and keep in focus what is important to me. It has also helped me to see how wonderful God is and just how much being an active christain can really change your life. Instead of partying or drinking, my friends and I love to volunteer or spend the day helping others in any way we can. Bethel has changed my life and will continue to do so. Bethel has kept me on track with my goals and is giving me all the tools i need to do well in my carreer and life.

While the thought of attending college was always one that came with both excitement and aprehensiveness, my college experience, as I anticipated, has met my expectations of being an adventure as well as a great challenge. College has proven beneficial because, although very difficult at times, it has forced me to become independant. Being thrown into an environment that is four hours away from home in which everthing is new--the people, the classes, the living arrangements--has caused me to begin to make my own way in life. No longer do I have my family, friends, or the life I was accustomed to back home to aid in the shaping and continuation of my "comfort zone." My comfort zone has been turned completely upside-down and , although beginning college has been the most difficult phase in my life, I know that , when looking back, I will see this time as a very formative time which shaped me into the adult I am to become.

Hanna

College is so much more than earning an education; it is an experience. At Paradise Valley Community College you can get a taste of the experiences you would get at Universities with out leaving home and for much cheaper. My experience at Paradise Valley has been an incredible one. I get the opportunity to work with my teachers on a more personal level, due to the smaller class sizes. It really feels like everyone there is there to help you succeed. I also never feel that I am limited when it comes to classes to choose from. There is a wide variety and I have taken classes ranging from art and developmental psychology to math and business. School has given me the opportunity to try a little of everything and to see what I like as possible career paths. Through attending school I have a greater understanding of what it is I want to do with my life. I hope to go on and get my masters in psychology. Without Paradise Valley I might still be uncertain about my future. The number one thing I have gotten out of my college experience is certainty and excitement for the future

I have learned from my college experience is that education is very important, especially the way things are today. If you work hard and study hard, even if you encounter some obstacles along the way, it is possible to finish school. The value in finishing school for me is that it is better preparing me to be able to provide for my children.

For me, college has served as an essential introduction to the way the world works. It has been the first place that has allowed me to step outside the rigid social constructs that plaque the high school experience. Attending has lead to me opening up and introducing myself to new people of all ages and backgrounds. I have made friends with police officers, lawyers, business owners, etc. These relationships have opened up new opportunities in terms of short term job prospects and social events to attend. In a sense, college has allowed me to connect with my entire community rather than restricting myself to a clique in high school. Besides the social benefits, attending college has boosted my confidence in my skill set. By being constantly challenged, I have been able to develop a better understanding of my capabilities and how to enhance them. College forces a person to perform at a career earning level, which means I will truly be ready for the real world(I hope) once I complete my degree.

Cory

Because I was homeschooled throughout middleschool and highschool, I did not experience the same type of community that you would have in a more public setting. In coming to Bethel, I have been able to learn what it means to live in community. This aspect of college has been a huge growing process. Because of Bethel's Christian atmosphere, I have been growing mainly in my spiritual journey. However, just because Bethel is a Christian University does not mean that it is perfect. There are many people at Bethel that struggle with some of lifes hardest questions. It is within such a setting that true growth happens. I have had to make some very hard decisions in striving to live a Christ honoring live. This is why the community at Bethel has been so helpful. They have called me to grow with no exceptions.

I have gotten the most out of Bethel University. I have made a ton of friends, everyone is really nice! No one will judge you no matter what or who you are. Having this be a Christian University it really displays how to live as a christian and helps me to understand my flaws, and helps me to grasp what I need to change for myself in my walk with Christ. Vespers and chapel are amazing. The worship team is truly gifted in bringing us to tears whenwhen we are singing. Bethel also is really good at bringing different speakers in to tell us different things. All in all I amm glad I am attending here and I am honored and proud to call myself a Bethel Royal.

During my time at AVC, I have gained friendships and have learned valuable tools to help me succeed for when I transfer to a UC in September 2011. I attended a charter school when I was in high school. We did not have things like clubs, foreign language classes, student government, etc. All we did was finish our homework. I decided that I wanted to graduate quicker, so I enrolled at my current community college (AVC) and soon graduated high school at 17. For the past few years I went from being antisocial with no leadership positions to being Vice President of my campus student government and completing over 700 hours of community service in the campus honors club. I never knew I would get into a university out of HS. People usually joined the Army or went to AVC. I am glad I was able to experience the first half of my undergrad years at AVC because I gained strong friendships through campus activities, and was able to “test drive” campus life and find bioengineering. With my transfer to a 4-year pending, I am certain I will push myself further.

Jenie

I have to say the question of "What have I gotten out of my college experience?" is nothing short of a head scratcher. The first answer that comes to mind is "$15,000 in debt so far", but when I really sit down and analyze the question, it's more complicated than that. I have gotten a sense of self, purpose and control over my future. My parents immigrated from Haiti, and from an early age, education was presented as a privilage, not an option that can be left on the back burner. I didn't fully understand why I was always pushed to get an education, why it was so important to them. It wasn't until I was introduced to the real world, "College Life", that I began to comprehend. Education is literally a key. It opens doors, windows and anything else you can think of that is a passageway to something better. So I guess what I really have gotten out of my college experience is understanding. I understand what it means to have a dream, I understand what it means to want to achieve something, and I understand what it means to want something better.

Marisol

What I have learned throughout my college experience is to be responsible. For there are dead lines that have to be met in order for me to get my class projects turned in on time, and to get a passing grade. I have also learned to believe in myself since I have proven to myself that I am capable of going to college and getting good grades. The most valuable thing I have gotten from college so far is the fact that I am getting closer to accomplishing my goal of becoming a registered nurse.

First of all, I am receiving an amazing education, which is helping me to reach the career goals that I have set for myself. In addition to that, I am part of a great community which helps and inspires me daily to reach those goals. I am learning more than just in the classroom, but also learning a lot from interactions with other professors and students on my way there.

I have learned how to better communicate with people through writting and through speaking. I have gained considerable knowledge in many areas including science, history, religion, and politics from some of the courses I have taken thus far. The atmosphere of my college experience has been awesome, fun, and at times very challenging. I have been challenged academically, mentally, socially, emotionally, spiritually, and physically. It has been very valuable in that what I have learned and will learn will stay with me for the rest of my life. The skills I have acquired and the knowledge I am gaining will help not only my future, but also those with whom I will interact, in whichever career path I choose and in everyday life. I have thouroughly enjoyed my college experience and am so excited for all that is to come!

Janna

College, thus far, has been a journey. I have struggled with the tough classes, making new friends, my faith, and above all discovering myself. What I have learned so far is to never give up. Even when it feels as though nothing is going right, I must continue to trust God and lean on him for support. I have faced many challenges since coming to Bethel, but what I have "gotten out of this experience" is perseverance and hope. While I often stress about my grades, I am slowly beginning to realize that my GPA is not the most important thing in life. That is not to say that I am going to stop studying and turning in my work on time; but, there are many other things that are more valuable such as time spent with family and friends and growing in my relationship with Christ.

Choosing where to go to college was a hard decision, but I know that I have made the right choice. After attending Bethel Univeristy for a while, I know that I am in the right school. I have received many opportunities to perform leadership functions, enjoy great employment and relationships with my professors and participate in summer research at Bethel that I would not have been able to do at the other colleges that I applied to. Also, I have gained many great friends in my tightly knit community at Bethel that I know will be friends for life. This community has and will continue to push me towards positive personal and intellectual growth as I finish my time at Bethel. It has been fully worth the price that I have paid and I would not give it up for the world.

Elisabeth

Bethel is a rare place, I can not think of any of my other friends attending other colleges that have gotten as much support, love, and encouragement from the communities that they are involved in. All of the relationships that I have encountered here have helped me develop into the person that I am today. This has been the most valuable part of my college experiance at Bethel.

Annika

Being a new college student it has been a challenge at times, but I have been very blessed with the college I chose. Each faculty member is more than willing to accomodate any needs a student might have and they are very personable. Not only are the staff wonderful, but the academics are world renowned. I am a nursing major and am thankful to be part of one of the top programs in the nation. I love being challenged academically and Bethel has done just that for me. If I am challenged too hard, the professors are more than willing to help me improve. My parents have had the priviledge of meeting a couple of my professors and have very much enjoyed the visits.

One day, my sister wore duct tape over her mouth that read "pro life". (she was going to wear this to high school, and not talk) Later that night, I read how Christians cannot merely scream at people about sin, or say what our opinions are. It's about spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ. It's about LOVING women who are going through this. That night, I was at Substance church for worship service. At the end, they said the Lord had laid one topic on their hearts: abortion. My heart fell into my stomach. They wanted to reach out to anyone that was struggling with abortion; to encourage anyone that had one. They also said that they felt some people in the room had been called to make a difference with this issue. The worship leaders talked about showing the love of Jesus Christ to these women. I feel called to go out and volunteer. I am also considering switching my major to social work in order to better serve the women in need. It all started in CMI class. God definitely used this class to reveal to me what I have been called to.

I have always been motivated. Motivated to get good grades, to excel in athletics, to perfrom well in fine arts, and be involved in as much as possible during highschool. Success was measured by how well I did and how many friends I had. Before leaving for college, I didn't realize there was a difference between motivation and passion. College has completely stripped me of my highschool securities, and I have been forced to answer the question, what am I living for? This is where passion steps in. I have realized there is more to life then the meaningless measurment of what I called success. Outside the bubble of my conservative, Christian life people are hurting. People are dying. Although I attend a Christian university, my eyes have been opened to the reality of this world. Thanks to the education I have recieved, and will continue to obtain at college, I can make a difference. Pursuing my nursing degree is one tangible way of helping those who need it most, and am also involed in Acting on AIDS. College has already changed my life and helped me realize there is far more to life then motivation; there is passion.

There are many things that I have gotten out of my college experience at Bethel University, mainly a lot of social and mental things. I learned that many who call themselves Christians; don't act or live in a way that is reflecting the One they follow. I see a lot of "fakeness" and "talking the talk," it is sad to see that it has become an epidemic in the Bethel community. A lot of students, especially freshmen are caught up in trying to always have fun at other expense, instead of having fun by living out their faith and values. I learn that a person must choose their friends wisely, as well as continuously fighting to live out such a faith that is good and acceptable to God despite those bring negative influence upon your faith and life. I also learn that must truly take my education even more serious by going above and beyond in terms of the amount studying and reading for my courses. These were only some of the things that I took from my college experiences as of today.

Xeng

What I have gotten out of my college experience is that I must prioritize myself in order to have a fun and successful time in college. My first semester started out hectic because I thought everything would just fall accordingly into the flow of things when I got use to it, but there was always something coming up that I just had to do. Hanging out with friends, intramurals, events in our Underground, and finals week. All this put together made my first semester fly all over the place. Towards the end however, I just couldn't take it anymore and I was seriuosly thinking about giving up. However, one of my professor told me to callm down and think my thoughts through, and sort my thoughts from important to less important. Of course homework came first because I am here to carve a future for myself and along with that my semester ended great. Prioritizing is the key or at least my key to success.

I am very blessed to be at Bethel University. As difficult as the transition into college was, being at Bethel has provided immense growth in my faith throughout these past months. For me, it is encouraging to have chapel in between classes to remind me about the perspectives in life. Also, to have a professor who cares for my success in courses and who encourages me with prayer before exams. Bethel University maintains excellence not only in academics, but in encouraging relationships with God. If I were not at Bethel, whether at another school, or not at college altogether, I would not reach my full potential. Sure I would achieve career success, however I would also lack in character. I have gotten spiritual growth from my college experience. With this, I have been able to live my life to its full potential; not lacking in academics, or in character.

I am currrently in my first year of college at Bethel University and so far my experience has been one that I will forever remember. Going into my first semester, I was a little hesitant as far as starting a new phase in my life. Within my first week, I began to relax and feel as though Bethel was a great fit for me. From there I was able to meet new friends and become a part of the Bethel community that I always seen myself being a part of. Not once have I regretted my decision on attending Bethel because I know this is the place that God has called me to be and I will take advantage of the opportunities that He will provide for me. So far I believe my experience at Bethel has made me a better person and has taught me so many things and this is why my time so far at Bethel is valuable.

There has been many things that I have gootten out of my college experience. I have enjoyed every minute of it. When I look back sometimes in the moment it was hard to go through. I have learned to be able to manage my time better so that I am able to get my homework done ahead of time. I have become a better writer, thanks to my great professors. I have also learned how to communicate and relate well with others. Overall college has been a great time for me and I have learned a ton and I hope a lot more to come as well.

Krista

As a transfer student, I really appreciate the schools' efforts to get me hooked into campus life. I made a lot of friends in my very first week of school due to the welcome week crew that Bethel organized. Not only do I feel as though I have life long friends from this school, I also greatly appreciate the professors' efforts to get to know their students. My professors strive to make sure their students have opportunities to learn both in and outside their classes. The professors here are also very enthusiastic about their classes, and it definitely rubs off on the students. I also appreciate the effort my advisor puts into my interests and helps me figure out what I want to do for a career.

At this point, I'm only a freshman, but it's indescribable how much my faith has grown because of the fellowship here. Besides striving for good grades, I'm constantly encouraged to get into God's Word, for that's what really matters to me.