Bethune-Cookman University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Bethune-Cookman University

Anjaliyah

My experience at Bethune-Cookman University has by far been one of the best college experiences so far. Everyone from faculty to students are so loving and caring. We always look out for one another through the good and bad. It is so many opportunities to branch out and learn new things, meet people and learn more stuff about yourself that you probably didn't even know you had in you. I LOVE MY HBCU!!!

Toney

A big scam. You pay so much for poor quality everything. They will mess up your finances, you need to keep an eye out for some random charges to your account because that's a regular occurrence here. You may end up paying $6000 for something you didn't sign up for at all like some camping trip. And the refund process takes forever, at least 2 months til you get your money back. The parking lots need extreme update, the paint on the ground are all faded out so you can't read what it supposed to say, if you park in the wrong place they will toll your car and you will have to pay to get it back, even when you couldn't read their painted signs on the ground. The labs equipments are falling apart, rusty, and old. Very disappointing. The classrooms are somehow hotter than outside of the building, which was 90° outside. You couldn't breath through your mask because of how hot it is, you will sweat all over the place leaving sweats in your seats. If you pay for your dorms and the pandemic happens to cause you to leave campus, they will not refund you even tho the government paid them to do so. They made you sign a waiver that you don't want your refund. READ THROUGH EVERYTHING YOU SIGN. The students are all childish. They are adults that act like middleschoolers, not adult. The only good thing about this place are the instructors, they are the mvp that keep most students attending the university instead of transferring out. The instructors truly care about your futures, will provide you with everything that might help you such as extra lessons, internship opportunities, and willingness to teach in a way that you will understand. Tl;Dr The buildings and equipments are too old and in need of updating. The school is always out to get your money. The instructors cares about you and is the mvp of this place.

Nadia

Bethune-Cookman University is a grand experience that all students will cherish after graduating. Life may not seem easy on campus at first, though each moment at B-CU is a chance to learn something new! Bethune-Cookman University is one of the best!

Deondrea

It is one of the best HBCU’s that can be very underrated; however, I am glad that I decided to come here to finish out my education. At first I was timid and shy however as I begin to get more involved, and help me break through and make unbreakable friendships.

Syrone

if you are from the northern area DO NOT GO TO BETHUNE! you will not see where your money is going. run-down buildings, terrible food, and overall bad school in general. the party scene is wack all of the parties are in Orlando so if you don't have a car yours out of luck. rethink your options before going to this school. my opinion and majority of others this school is trash.

Raneesha

My opinion on my school is this, If you’re looking for a great HBCU. This is the one. We stand and fall as one but always get back up. My freshman year was a blast. I met my Bestfriend and the love of my life here. I even got into National Honor Society!

Nakeem

Great School

Great learning experience overall! Cookman taught me how to be myself and how to be responsible. I would sggest getting involved with organizations on campus to meet new people and to keep you busy. There is ALWAYS something going on on campus that students can enjoy.

Trealia

Bethune-Cookman University is a beautiful school. My colleagues are proud of their school and their heritage. Being a Wildcat is not only about academics. There are plenty of opportunities to join an extra-curricular. We have school functions every week and most if not all the students here are very willing to help out. A negative to BCU is some of the staff such as the people who work in financial aid, the Bursars office or the registrars office make it difficult for you to work with them because of their attitude. Also, in my opinion, the tuition and fees are a little too high if you compare it to what you are given.

kandi

I am so glad that I attend the Great Bethune-Cookman University, where we know that entering to learn is the easiest thing that we could do, and departing to serve is the toughest. We learn that we must not let our intelligence relax because our gifts are used to help others. The faculty, and students are welcoming, and encouraging. I love my HBCU, and I wouldn't choose another school.

Jewelle

Bethune-Cookman University teaches one a lot about life. Specifically, how to make a seed grow into a beautiful flower surrounded by a terrible place. Even though the beach is close by, there is not many options to do on and/or off campus. As a biology major, it would be great to have some extra activities outside of the classroom. The school tends to be very unorganized, from orientation, financial clearances, and previous semester's room and board fee's. There is still a lot of improvements that can be developed and even alumnus's can agree. On the bright side however, the people there are absolutely terrific. Even though it is a historically black university, the campus has very diverse individuals from Haiti, Jamaica, Bermuda, Africa, and many other countries as well. The classrooms are relatively small so the teachers know who you are and you can go to their office for help or just have a conversation. Greek life and sports are well known and supported as well. You can personally know an athlete by being in the same class and cheer them on come game time! Bethune-Cookman University may not be the best institution to attend but the people there create a 'family-feel' environment that makes it all worthwhile.

David

Great school, lots of potential. The faculty and student body just need to align themselves a little more. Best Teachers they actually care about your well being! Bethune cookman is a very good school, it has a very rich heritage and also very good academia. I love this school I bleed maroon and gold, they have a great athletic programs as well, they are NCCA division 1 and also MEAC.

Dee

I love this school! HBCU's are definitely the route, it's very cultural and you learn a lot being surrounded by your own kind. It can sometimes be very unorganized but what university isn't? Great people and vibes, there's always something going on around campus! Housing is nice, even the older buildings are nice and larger than the newer ones. Great location, especially if you like the beach. Small campus but better 1 on 1 time with your professors which is great!

Bre'Janna

Bethune-Cookman is a great school to attend! This institution gives each student the fair amount of opportunities. BCU has an enormous amount of faculty and staff that really cares about your education. Our motto is Enter to learn, depart to serve. Which means what you learn at this institution, use your knowledge to uplift your surroundings and community. All I have to say is you will not be disappointed attending this institution. Go Wildcats!

Jamiraih

If you have enough money for school I recommend . Bethune cookman is more concerned about your money then your education. If you fall short on money they will dismiss you until other wise . It is a nice school for the cultural purposes but it has its ups and downs honestly .

Craig

Bethune Cookman University is one the best HBCU’s in history. The unparalleled history of Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune and how she overcame obstacles into building such a prestigious university; the only historical black university to be named after an African American woman who was best friends with the First Lady at the time is by far amazement at its best. We are a divided family that has mastered on excelling academics while having fun and uniting as one. I not only love but I am infatuated with the very thought of my beloved university.

Kevin

My first year was amazing, the classes were great and the teachers are a lot better, at least some of them are pretty cool. From what I've seen, most of the buildings are clean and look nice plus the dorms are pretty sweet. There are a select few that you should never live in but hopefullly, by the time you read this, those dorms will be gone. The biggest downside is that the tuition is 23,120 and most of the time, financial aid won't cover it and you will have to scrap for scholarships. All and all, the school is definitely worth it if you have the money to pay for it.

Dominique

My overall opinion about the Great Bethune Cookman University, is that it's a wonderful school. You will experience some great things. The professors here will help you, and they are easy to talk too. No one will leave you struggling. The campus life is so wonderfully there is always something going on to keep people out of trouble. It's even fun just looking at the marching wildcats practice.

Tatieana

Bethune Cookman cost is very out of sight . I believe it's not worth the price they ask if , nor do they help with scholarships and most staff do not attempt to help students understand college life. The way the school takes care of the money and payments you make us outrageous , you constantly have to check after them. Cookman will make many mistakes about paying your tuition, they've lost payments , over charged , and taken away basic privelages. They are constantly raising the prices for dorms and activities to just keep the school running.

Alana

At first glance this school doesn't seem like much. It seems small, old, and inactive. However, once you get on campus and get active, it perks up remarkably. I transferred here from a PWI and immediately fell in love. The class sizes are personable and you get to know your professors intimately. There is always something to do as long as you're willing to look for it. Greek life is big but not mandatory and there are plenty of other groups to join. The bond you create with classmates and the other who go to the school is genuine. While you may talk about your school, you'll definitely get defensive and express your love for your h(BCU)!

Derrick

Bethune Cookman University is a good institution that pushes you towards success. The ultimate decision of how to get there is your own. Every college is not perfect but you have to make the best of it. From doing community service events to joining different clubs and organizations. The more involved you are at this institution the better. With the opportunities that occur, you have a variety of individuals you can connect with and get your career started as soon as you graduate.

Nadia

Bethune-Cookman University is a great institution which is rich in the history of Mary Jane McLeod Bethune. It is an excellent place to learn and challenge yourself. However, there could be some improvements made for this university. Overall, Bethune-Cookman University is amazing and I can't wait to see what the future has in store for me.

Eric

The campus is very welcoming , everybody is friendly and everybody has the same goal which is to graduate. Theres always something to do around campus with it being on the beach. Class sizes are small which I like because it gives more one on one time with your teacher.

Jasmine

Cookman is a wonderful school it’s never a dull moment at this school. Everybody is friendly and ready to get to work when it’s time for class. Students know when too have fun then they also know when it’s time to learn no matter how They weekend went. Cookman is a outstanding school.

Javorsier

This is a good school it may not be for everyone the teachers are okay and the students are ok the housing is poor there are a few new dorms available the rest are very old and outdated the cafe is disgusting and the den is ok many students like to smoke.

Meshay

While drenched in the history and legacy of Dr Mary McLeod Bethune’s amazing achievement, Bethune Cookman University is a small, private college-turned-university. BCU is a school that will celebrate the new members of sororities and fraternities on the weekends, march to the polls for elections, pray during assemblies, and show their school spirit at the Florida Classic. Even the least school spirited individual will “rep” the collegiate maroon and gold while sitting across from the sea of orange and green of Florida A&M University. What doesn’t get enough recognition, are the actual academics. Of course, the top scholars get their assemblies, but the celebrations are more geared toward academic downtime. Honor societies are not recognized, ever. College is the time to grow up and find out who you are, where you want to go, and what you want to become. While most students matriculate and graduate, there are way too many who fall through the cracks and do not. It appears that there is not enough pressure, or perhaps, too much pressure of the wrong kind, to continue. It does not seem to be the best university. Several individuals have transferred out of it, only to find that the credits they worked so hard for would not transfer. It may be that the school does not offer the right major as there are not as many as other public or private universities. No university is perfect, but Bethune Cookman is a decent school. Given the opportunity to thrive, it is one to attend.

jazzmyne

this university is a very supportive university. I encourage anyone to go here. I have no bad things to say about this school. the student body events are fun. they have some supportive people here willing to help out anyone. everything here is just plus.

Nadia

The illustrious and the beautiful Historically Black College and University, Bethune-Cookman University is an institution which stands out from the rest. It should be a pleasure for anyone to decide to attend an institution which was run by and African-American woman. Before attending Bethune-Cookman University, one should know that this is a place for obtaining and education as well as gaining experience in your desired field.

I enjoy being a student at the Great Bethune-Cookman University!! The faculty and staff are really there for the students, they are always happy to help any students in need. Teachers are also very good with communicating with their students and they are always accessible for any student willing to get the help that they need. Some things could be better but being a student that was able to get a 4.0 GPA their first year I can say that Bethune-Cookman University has the opportunities, students just have to take them.

kassady

It is great. Once you walk into Bethune Cookman you feel welcomed and like you're with your family at home, you feel like you belong. There is always people you can go to to ask for anything like questions and they can give you the answers. There is so much to do on campus, so many organizations that the students, themselves, encourage you to be apart of.

Timothy

My opinion about the great Bethune Cookman university is that it is simple. It's a quiet campus but family oriented, we all depend on each other and make the best of what the school provides for us. I love this school and can't wait for what is next to come.

Ebony

My overall opinion of Bethune Cookman is they give many opportunities to different students who are gifted in what they care to the school for. The campus is a nice size and has a very nice city life outside of it. The campus is safe and there are many groups to join there.

setori

its a great school

Demante

To me Bethune-Cookman University is everything you would want to see out of a top private Historically Black College University. Not only does the University sit by one of the most beautiful beaches but also the campus life is amazing. They way the students, visitors, and the faculty show love, and respect for one another is great. I can honestly say I am proud to have applied and been accepted in to such an amazing College.

Diamond

Excellent School!

My overall opinion of Bethune-Cookman is that it a great school that has a lot of potential. I think the staff and professors actually care about you succeeding and they will help you get there. If I had to make some improvements I think the cafe needs to be updated and the dorm rooms in the residence halls need to be bigger.

timeya

i love my school, and it like any other school is what you make it. it has flaws but nothing that are not being worked on to get better. My school has been known to be in controversy so it is easy for others to put us down but I have experienced some of the most fun i've ever had and met people i love like i grew up with them , and lots of the employees are friendly and try their best to service you the best they can. we are like a big family there and ill do anything i can to help it get better because its helping me grow as an individual.

Adrian

So far I think this is a school where one can learn, grown and meet people from all around the world. The school has a lot of good history that one can read about and enhance there knowledge of African american as well as US history. The atmosphere is very energetic with a southern comfort feeling.

Takyeema

Bethune -Cookman University is the school I wanted to go to since I was 8 . Just walking around the campus was breath taking. The spirit and environment of the school make you feel like home. Everyone is friendly and willing to help you if needed. I honestly wouldn't want to go to any other college.

briana

Receiving this scholarship will help me to accomplish my future goals leading into my field of study, and also show that you can’t let past experiences be the dictator of your future.In life I have planned for myself to accomplish many attributes that will get me very far in my journey. The reason why I chose to attend Bethune-Cookman University for the fall is because The school is a historical black university, which was my initial reason for applying there. I am able to learn something new everyday and that is what makes my future school such a great place to be. The school was founded and built upon legacy and faith and is still operated upon these models. When you walk into any of the buildings on campus, you will read those words "Enter to learn and depart to serve", which is there model. The university has small size classrooms which gives the student and the instructors a one on one training basis.. I would like to major in computer science with a minor in English. The reason I chose this field of study is because of my analogies ai will be able to create my own network company for big companies.. Although my ultimate goal is to become a professional web designer , I’ve always wanted to tap into the computer science field. I feel like these two occupations will give me the chance to make someone else’s life just a little bit easier.

Quiana

I LOVE MY HBCU! There are problems within the school but what school doesn't?! I love this school and glad that I am apart of it. The teachers and students are great and I feel like I'm at home away from home. There is always something to do and it's a great place to build new relationships with people from all over the country as well as the world! I'm excited to call myself a BETHUNE-COOKMAN WILDCAT!

Jasmine

Overall, I feel that Bethune-Cookman University is a decent school, but it could be better. The school can be much better as far as organization and staffing go. More dorms should be provided to suffice the number of students that attend the school & for the money that's paid the dorm quality could be much greater. Staff can be a little lazy as far as cleaning issues and addressing concerns. On the bright side, it's easy to get around campus, and most teachers are willing to go the extra mile to help you.

Clarissa

I first became familiar with Bethune-Cookman University because my mother attended this school as an undergrad student. Before graduating from high school, I went a couple of tours. In my opinion, when I would visit the students were always friendly. The school has grown tremendously within the last couple of years and the professors and staff really do care about your success. They are honest and upfront with you for your own good. They push you to strive for excellence.

Deonie

Bethune Cookman is much like any other traditional HBCU. A lot of difficulties that other HBCU's find cookman does as well. Financial aid is usually always pretty busy making it hard to communicate with them. That's probably the biggest pet peeve. I enjoy the social life. Being involved makes your experience 10x better. I'd recommend getting involved and staying involved. Academics are fairly easy. Professors are accessible just as long as you make yourself accessible. If they don't have office hours they'll have an email where most reply in a timely manner.

Dajanae

i love it it , nothing to complain about. The school size is amazing and it's enough students. The people are amazing and the teachers are very helpful. The sports are BOMB everyone goes to the games ! Class be fun sometimes.. school is more of a set mindset !

Starrkieshea

Bethune-Cookman University is a very good school to attend. They provide many resources for students as far as academic wise and health. Professors are generally very caring and help you as much as possible. Student life is quite amazing, there is many different groups and organizations you can join. Students, professors and staff helps you make the best transition to college life.

Brandi

I think this school is an excellent hbcu it teaches you about black culture that is sometimes over looked. which I think is amazing and more people need to be educated about in order to expand their intelligence on cultural diversity. This is a great school over all and I would be so lucky to be accepted in when I apply.

Nick

As a student-athlete, Bethune-Cookman has offered me not only a quality education, but a variety of life lessons and friendships as well. I think, with the funding the school has been given, the faculty has gone above and beyond in terms of providing for its students. I am proud to be a wildcat, and I’m very glad BCU was my choice of college to receive my bachelor’s degree.

Justine

I love attending this University and that is why I and transferring back to finish my degree. It makes me feel like I am with family and the atmosphere is amazing as well. There is always something to do to be engaged on and off campus. The professors are always there if you need them and want to make sure that you succeed.

Quantajia

My overall rating of Bethune-Cookman is that it's okay. There's not much to do on campus and the Cafeteria food is not really good. The dorms are very small and very loud at times. Some students are often drunk or smell like Marijuana. It's not every student that is like this but just a handful.