Biola University Top Questions

Dakota

Your classmates and peers at Biola are very caring. If you happen to miss a day of class, you can count on any one of your classmates to help you out and provide their notes and fill you in on what you missed. Everyone on Biola's campus, faculty and students alike, only want what is best for each other, and are always willing to help in anyway they can.

At Biola University, the community of my classmates are very friendly and sociable and they are always willing to lend a helping hand to those in need.

Bailey

Genuine. I find the students of Biola to be very real people who truly care for each other within the community of Biola. The studetns realy care about learning and generarlly enjoy the atmosphere of Biola.

carlos

Driven and unique individuals, together, working towards a common goal.

Jaci

The people at Biola, especially within my major of Kinesiology, are very driven academically but they are still friendly and helpful and participate in the core-unit-like bond we have within our major.

My classmates are my friends who push me to do better in school.

Hyunji

Accountable, family-like friends/companions.

kara

They are a mixture of qurky, entergetic leaders, with a hunger to learn and make a positive impact in the world.

A lot of my classmates are fun, willing, and smart.

Most of the students at Biola are of white ethnicty and their parents have money. It is a private school after all. They are very smart and at times can make you feel pretty dumb since of how much they know. Overall, most are eager to learn and to enjoy their college experience.

My classmates are engaging, wise, and amazing.

Alexus

Classmates at my school are fun, diverse and enthusiastic.

My classmates are some of the most loving and caring people I have ever met, I love going to class with them and I love being around them.

There is definitely a variety of students at Biola. I don't believe there would be any student that would feel out of place here because of the diversity. There is not like a group of popular kids, nerds, etc. It is basically, everyone coming together and becoming friends. I do not think students are political aware unless they take the time out to do so.

The students are all very different. There is a good mix of every type of personality and every style.

Adrienne

Hipsters. There are a lot of hipsters. On another note, students at Biola are very kind and genuine. We are a Christian university and that reflects in the students. One doesn't really see anyone without a group of friends to fit in. The orientation week for new students is so filled with social activities that by the end of the week, most students have made plenty of friends and acquaintances.

Kentucky

My classmates are fantastic. I have made a lot of close friends since coming here. Their's always something to do here at Biola. Whether it's going to the beach at midnight to have it all to ourselves, or a late night In-n-Out run to get a burger and fries, or even spending entire days at Disneyland, their's a lot of really fun times to be had at Biola University. And none of those fun times would be complete without having awesome classmates. I'm very happy to have friends who help me grow in God.

Drew

Walking in to the dining hall, there are four tables. One is a small table with two young women who seem to be having a deep and meaningful conversation. Another group, is a group of guys and girls laughing and conversing around a round table. In the corner there is another smaller table with a professor speaking to a small group of students and across the hall is a set of long tables where a group of guys from one dorm are having a meal together. Each conversation sets forth with a mutual understanding of a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. The conversations are heart changing and often times you will hear a student about how much they are learning and how great Biola has been in cultivating new knowledge, understanding, and enthusiasm.

Daryen

Students here are obviously very religious and it's safe to say that if you aren't a Yahweh follower you probably won't enjoy certain classes as much as others. But even so secular students are always welcomed and very common as visitors. I would most likely guess that a majority of students are Republican and it's not uncommon to see students engaged in political conversation. With students from all over the world things like politics always keep a conversation going. Most students here are pretty well-off no surprise due to the high tuition costs but kids from all backgrounds and cultures intermingle regularly.

Biola is a private, Christian school that requires one to be a professing Christian to be admitted, so every student on campus claims to be a Christian. I have seen a mix of ethnicities and students from different socio-econimc backgrounds and I have seen both Republicans and Democrats although a majority of the students are predominantly right and conservative. I have seen some students who get dressed up in their nicest clothes for class and others rock sweats and a sweatshirt. Overall, it's a pretty casual place and people feel comfortable wearing just about everything. Everyone on this campus interacts with each other. No matter where you are from or what major you are, I have seen so many different types of groups intermix. The people here are so incredibly friendly and warm and they accept everyone lovingly.

Biola students care about their faith in Christ and their fellow human beings and it shows through their activities. Most students volunteer with ministries that help combat social injustices, sex trafficking, world hunger, poverty, racial and gender inequalities and a variety of other causes. It is not unusual for students to spend a semester or a few weeks in a far away foreign country serving the people there or regularly involve themselves in some kind of local service. Because tuition is so expensive, many of the students who attend can afford to enjoy all kinds of luxuries that the southern California location offers. Visitors are often surprised at how friendly and trusting everyone is. Overall, most undergraduates invest more of their time in having fun and doing whatever they are passionate about than forwarding their career.

Ashleigh

Every student at Biola University is required to be a professing Christian. Despite society's normally negative connotation to requirements of this kind, this is an encouragement to all the students here. Everyone encourages another and is extremely friendly to one another. It is rare when someone feels out of place or left out. Students who apply here should be fully aware of the fact that it is a private Christian school and are expected to live their lives as such. Students do not necessarily form cliques here. Most of the time, people are extremely open to having any "type" of student come along on In-N-Out runs or trips to Disneyland. Lunch tables at the cafeteria are usually full of eclectic groups of people that were most likely thrown together because of a relation to another student. Everyone gets along quite well at Biola. One would think that the high tuition would constitute everyone being of a higher social class financially, but this is not so. There are mainly middle to high financial classes represented on campus, but there are some lower financial class students as well. Many trust fully in God to provide their finances, and for many, it works out.

Shonette

I don't feel out of place because it is majority white and I'm black. You have to be Christian to go here which I don't have a problem with. The only thing I would have a problem with is someone being too religious to the point where they didn't know how to have a little bit of fun. We all interact with one another at one point or another and the students at Biola are from all over the United States and all over the world.

Jean

Our school has experienced racial issues especially when there was this controversy about the Jesus Mural. At our campus we have a huge Jesus mural on one of the walls of the science building. Last year, there was a huge discussion/debate about whether it should be taken down because some people felt offended by having a “white” Jesus. The school had the artist come in for one of the chapels and talk with our president. There was a vote on whether it would be taken down. It didn’t come down but the artist came and worked on the mural this semester. He touched it up and made his skin a darker. Students will wear whatever they feel like to class. We have some who walk around barefoot and will wear no shoes to class. Usually students will wear jeans and a t-shirt or sandals. Rainbows (sandals) are in at our school. A lot of students I know are getting financial aid and loans. Money is a big issue here on campus. I feel most students are in the center politically speaking. We don’t talk about politics here. I can’t even remember a time where I talked about politics with any student or teacher. It is a very taboo subject.

Christian religious students, admittance to this school is based on a dedication to the Christian faith, meaning that in order to attending this school students must be christian affiliated. There is a brilliant arts and music program, as well as a captivating biology, anthropology, and pre-med program.

Adrienne

Students at Biola are very kind and genuine. We are a Christian university and that reflects in the students. The school is predominantly Caucasian, but being a minority myself, I've always felt comfortable. There are diversity and mulit-ethnic outreaches. There are also quite a few international students. One doesn't really see anyone without a group of friends to fit in. The orientation week for new students is so filled with social activities that by the end of the week, most students have made plenty of friends and acquaintances. I would also say that there are a lot of students that attend Biola that come from well-off families. This can be intimidating at times, but most students are humble about there money. And there are definitely people from lower-classes too. Biola offers a lot of financial aid.

Students at Biola are unlike any other students I have ever met before. All have a love for Christ that is evident in their lives and they have a passion to make a difference in the world no matter what their major may be. The students are so passionate about their majors as well and there are so many different clubs you can join based on what you want to do with your major. Also, upperclassmen are more than happy to help out underclassmen and give them advice on what teachers to take or what classes are the best. I personally love asking older students for advice for what to get involved in. I am a part of Associated Students of Biola, which is a student run government and it is just so cool to see how many students want to be involved with their school. We plan such crazy, fun events and everyone always wants to attend. Students are proud of their school! Every student has dorm pride as well! Each of dorms are really unique and the RA staff is incredible. I have absolutely loved living in my dorms because of the create community that is created by the students that attend Biola. While some students can afford the tuition, I would say most students are taking out loans and paying a lot of tuition by themselves. Because of this students appreciate their time at Biola and really work hard, making the most of their time here. There are also so many on campus jobs that tons of students work at to help out with loans and just college expenses in general.

Biola is very tolerant. We have chapels dedicated to racial reconciliation and there is no racial tension whatsoever here. Many of the students are Missionary kids and come from impoverished households. That also warrants no discrimination. Everyone is very understanding of each other's struggles and doesn't judge. Only a student that is not a Christian would feel extremely out of place at Biola because every class, every event, and every relationship is focused around Christ and His love. There are many international and out of state students at Biola, and they have no problem fitting in with, interacting with, or making friends because most students are in their same situation. The Student Missionary Union does an excellent job of connecting international students and helping them grow accustomed to American culture. Most students are politically right-winged conservatives. There isn't much focus on money. Many students plan on going into the mission field, where economic stability is rare and most students are working or taking out multiple loans to pay for Biola. It is a more expensive school, but it is worth it.

Abbey

Our student body is so diverse! It is definitely a melting pot of looks, personalities, backgrounds and passions. There are few students who have a hard time finding a place to fit in. Smiles are prevalent and welcoming conversations happen all the time.

Janine

Students at Biola tend to be excited about being here, and serious about engaging their classmates, majors, and professors. Biola attracts students from a variety of socio-economic groups, with a high ratio of out of state and international students, as well as Christian students with mixed political and religious backgrounds. There is no greek system at Biola, and there are very few cliques within the student body - most students make a wide variety of friends throughout the course of their undergraduate education.

Encouraging, vibrant, gifted, God-seeking, friendly, helpful, uplfiting servants.

My classmates are the most caring people one will ever meet. They consistently reach out to people, both people they know and don't know, trying to get to know them. They honestly care about the mental health and well-being of their peers and want to be a good influence. If one wants to attend a community-focused school with students that are passionate about other students, Biola is the best choice. Everyone is included and made to feel at home, with no one being included. This is a great place to call home.

They were very supportive.

My classmates are always a diverse group of people coming from different backgrounds, yet have the same desire to learn and grow.

Celeste

My classmates are eager to learn.

They are great people and full of life.

Nice kids mostly from Southern California with good attitudes all searching for quality education in a safe environment with a focus on improving their lives not only financially but spiritually as well.

D'Shawn

Though my classmates may have come from different environmental and socio-economical backgrounds, they are very hardworking students who wish to attain the same goals that I have, which are to graduate with a better sense of who I am and what Jesus Christ means to me.

My classmates are fun-loving, committed Christian young people who desire to grow in their faith with an authentic and joyful lifestyle, not stuffy or plastic; they simply know how to endure the difficult hardships as well as enjoy the simple pleasures of life while keeping everything in perspective, that all of life is to be lived as an expression of the purpose for which God has made us.

My first week at Biola University, I didn't know anyone. So, when i went to the cafeteria, I went up to a table and asked if I could sit with them. They moved the table around so I could fit and soon enough, we were chatting away about the first week of school and other things. At Biola, I run into people who honestly care about me. Not just because I offer anything to them, but simply because the love of God is so at work in their lives, they love others as well. "Insta-friendship" happens here.

For the most part my classmates are very engaged in the classroom discussion and the material being taught by the professors. Most students strive to do well and most do better than average. The students at Biola are extremely loving and kind. I have met many of my closest friends at this University. The students really care for those in our city and all over the world. We try to help those in need in any way we can.

Ruth

My classmates are typically extremely friendly and all grateful to be attending Biola University.

My classmates are all very diverse and yet connected by the same faith, so it's refreshing to be on common ground with people but we aren't all clones. There's a beautiful individuality represented on our campus, and although there are many different groups of students that tend to stick together, there's usually little fear in crossing over those social lines because of the kindness displayed on our campus.

Samuel

My classmates are my friends and we are dedicated to helping each other progress and are commited to each other out of love.

My classmates are kind, non-judgemental, friendly, accepting, helpful, and have an obvious love for Christ.

Samuel

Many of my classmates have shown to be intelligent, helpful, motivated, and great friends who teach and spur me on to achieve excellence in every aspect of my life.

My classmates are individualistic and motivated to attain their personal goals; yet while out of class are warm and kind in a brotherly/sisterly way.

Jaimie

My fellow classmates are my rivals as well as my greatest academic campanions who will help me succeed.

Jared

Fun and deicated indaviduals, who strive for succes and are always fun to be around.